UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tick Disease Help
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

They will not always test positive. If they test positive when you retest them then they still have it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-2018 09:15 PM
jeremiah roller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeremiah roller Click here to Send jeremiah roller a Private Message Click Here to Email jeremiah roller Find more posts by jeremiah roller Add jeremiah roller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

I

have talked to several vets across the country about this and all told me that dogs will always test positive for 7 to 10 years.

Old Post 06-18-2018 10:17 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Im sorry they misinformed you but thats not true at all i have had 3 dogs with it and serval freinds with dogs that have had treat them till you get a negative test result! Then i retest every 6 mo. Everyone i have treated 60 of doxy and 2 rounds of imozol have tested negative afterwards.

Old Post 06-18-2018 10:26 PM
jeremiah roller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeremiah roller Click here to Send jeremiah roller a Private Message Click Here to Email jeremiah roller Find more posts by jeremiah roller Add jeremiah roller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

I’ve

Treated 5 with doxy and shots but. Never retested but one. I had his blood sent to one of leading labs in country spent months and 2 k doing what they told my vet to do and he retested positive but I’m probably wrong usually am. I’m just surprised after years of dealing with this reading everything I could find to read and all the threads on here I have never read or heard this. Sorry for giving out false information.

Old Post 06-18-2018 10:45 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

I agree its the worse problem we have with hounds today is keeping them healthy. No reason to say sorry thats your opinion and what you have learned im just stating mine and what have learned about and i have spent more hrs studying about erlichia and thyriod then i ever did in school lol i have found that you have to be very aggrasive with erlichia and test and treat and test and treat. I too have spent thousands of dollars on this treating them. I say if it is a top hound dont give up on it keep treating and they will recover.

Last edited by jeremiah roller on 06-18-2018 at 10:59 PM

Old Post 06-18-2018 10:52 PM
driftwood22
UKC Forum Member

Erlichia

So if my hound tested negative for erlichia then the doxy treatment is unnecessary, and maybe I should be looking at different cause!?

Mr. preacher I apologize about jumping on your post but it sounds like we have similar situation and trying to get a grasp in this dogs issue.

Old Post 06-18-2018 11:02 PM
driftwood22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for driftwood22 Click here to Send driftwood22 a Private Message Click Here to Email driftwood22 Find more posts by driftwood22 Add driftwood22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Im no vet i was just stating what i have learned from dealing with it but if test negative then i would say there is another problem with the dog then erlichia. Thyriod can show same signs as erlichia. Have you tested the thyriod level ? Have you check white blood cell count ?

Old Post 06-18-2018 11:11 PM
driftwood22
UKC Forum Member

Next step

That’s the plan next, probably have full panel done, I believe it was the white count that was on the lower side of the spectrum but not out of limits.

Old Post 06-19-2018 12:58 PM
driftwood22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for driftwood22 Click here to Send driftwood22 a Private Message Click Here to Email driftwood22 Find more posts by driftwood22 Add driftwood22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

No problem Driftwood22. We need all the information we can get. Sometimes our local vets just can't stay up with everything.

Old Post 06-19-2018 03:19 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

You are both right to a certain extent. Ehrlichiosis treatment ability and "curing" the disease is very dependent upon the stage it is in there are 3 stages. It enters into platelets and the later organs like the spleen. Like many other tick illness this ability to hide makes it very difficult to truly get rid of it all though you may get negative test results. Dogs that were not completely cured can experience relapses in times of stress upon their bodies or any thing that may cause their natural immune system to become compromised then it will flourish again. There are also false positives when the dog has fought off the disease and antibodies are still being cleared from the body, this is the reason for the re-testing at 6-9mo after diagnosis.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-19-2018 04:57 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Jen

Help me understand this. I have always been told and believed until now that a dog couldn’t be completely cured and would always carry ehrlichia and would always test positive and it could show up again at anytime.

Old Post 06-19-2018 05:29 PM
MR.RATMAN
Banned

https://www.vetinfo.com/derlick.html
Eurlychia in dogs very good stuff to read
Read facts instead of opinions from here..

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Last edited by MR.RATMAN on 06-19-2018 at 06:27 PM

Old Post 06-19-2018 06:25 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Bob

I dont believe you truely do ever cure it necessary but yet keep it at bay you might say. It goes dormant I think most dogs will have flare ups with stress at some point. That is why i retest every 6 mo or if i suspect they have a flare up. We also give doxy a week before we head out to a big hunt if going to be gone on road for a few days. Have had great results doing this and what works for me may not for you.

Todd you can read all the facts you want as i have read them all myself. Doesnt mean you just say oh well throw the towel in and give up. Its like anything else can always learn from someone else's experience. Not being a smart a$$ but we all need to work together to figure out what works best.

Old Post 06-19-2018 07:11 PM
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

My vet told me (and he may be wrong) that they will always test positive for the disease but if you do blood work they can test negative for the infection.

Old Post 06-19-2018 07:27 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

If I wasn't trying to help I wouldn't of posted that HUGE article for you all to read.. I dealt with this myself last summer. My dog recovered, but he is now worthless in the summer he is good for 1 tree after temps get above 70. He can't take the heat at all now

Old Post 06-19-2018 09:13 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

A user on the thyroid thread suggested to raise my dogs level from 1.4 to 3 to give him the boost in the summer. I tried it and it ended up dropping his level to a .6 so is all I'm saying is watch what advice you take when it comes to our hounds....I got him off the thyroid meds and he is back to a 1.4 it wasn't pretty to see my hound at .6

Old Post 06-19-2018 09:22 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When you give a dog thyroid meds their thyroid gland will stop producing hormones. So if you are going to give meds then you have to make sure to give enough. You can't just give a little to "supplement" their thyroid glands natural production.

My experience has also been that once a dog has had Erlichiosis then they will always struggle in the summer.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-19-2018 at 09:46 PM

Old Post 06-19-2018 09:43 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Jeremiah

That’s what I’ve been thinking. I had one treated at 6 months old with Doxy and the shots he is 13 months now if I test him now could he test negative?

Old Post 06-19-2018 11:05 PM
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Yes absolutely he could test negative mine tested negative the laat 2 times. Also have two good friends that have had dogs with erlichia and treated them till they got a negative test back amd both those hounds have not tested positive again!! Now will they have a,flair up sometime and test positive maybe so nut only time will tell.

Old Post 06-20-2018 07:40 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So, do they relapse or have a flare up or do they just get a new case of Erlichiosis? If they get it once there is nothing that says they can't get it again.

Old Post 06-20-2018 01:06 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah roller
UKC Forum Member

Very good question Richard you pick one of the options and i will agree. No way to tell i dont guess.

Old Post 06-20-2018 03:40 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Jeremiah, it doesn't actually matter. You treat it the same. But medical personnel and scientist always want to "label" everything.

Old Post 06-20-2018 04:11 PM
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

The

Vets I ave talked to say they get a new case more than they relapse.

Old Post 06-20-2018 05:41 PM
MR.RATMAN
Banned

https://www.vetinfo.com/derlick.html[/url]

Last edited by MR.RATMAN on 06-20-2018 at 11:24 PM

Old Post 06-20-2018 11:22 PM
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Anyone have any advice for a dog who has recovered from Eurlychia, but now can't handle the heat for summer hunting ??????

Old Post 06-20-2018 11:26 PM