UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid problems running wild.
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid problems running wild.

Seems like everyday another dog is diagnosed with low thyroid numbers. Dont think it will be brought under control in my lifetime. But for the future I hope vets and pet owners get a better understanding of whats really causing this. It is a lot more to it than genetics.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2019 03:05 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I believe the thyroid issue is genetic. Had a good friend who had a Vaughn blooded dog back in the mid 60's that died in his box at 7 yrs old in the winter. He had a daughter off this dog that died the same way. He had a daughter off this female same deal. Dead in the box in the winter at 8 yrs. She had raised a litter off of Vaughns Mack II. Another friend of mine had a male from this cross that at 7 began the same path. Couldn't handle the cold and so was sent to TN where he lived to be 10. He had a son that started the same path at 6-7 and my buddy took him to the vet who tested him for low thyroid. Bingo! Tested positive and put him on meds. Ended the problem. I bred a female to this dog before he was diagnosed with thyroid issues. Kept a male and noticed the cold bothering him at 3-1/2 yrs. old. Had him tested and he had thyroid issues also. Meds took care of it. If diagnosed with thyroid issues it's meds for life.

So how many of the big named studs are being tested for BEFORE being advertised? How many females tested BEFORE being bred. I strongly believe this is a genetic fault.

This story above began in 1969 and ended in 1993. It's not new just getting more prevalent.

Last edited by DL NH on 04-19-2019 at 03:35 PM

Old Post 04-19-2019 03:32 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

Re: Thyroid problems running wild.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Seems like everyday another dog is diagnosed with low thyroid numbers. Dont think it will be brought under control in my lifetime. But for the future I hope vets and pet owners get a better understanding of whats really causing this. It is a lot more to it than genetics.
Nope because people like you keep breeding those known thyroid dogs , believe what you want but facts are facts.

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 04-19-2019 03:48 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, I went to the Dr this week and he said that I had a thyroid problem and put me on meds. I wonder if that is genetic? My dad and mom never had a problem.

Old Post 04-19-2019 04:50 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

About 75% of the talk on here is about breeding better dogs. Now it's odd to me that the only two things not affected by breeding are thyroid problems and slick treeing.

Old Post 04-19-2019 05:08 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I am not a vet or a expert but I can say this from experience. Many dogs that are given a simple T4 check and show a low reading are not true “thyroid dogs” a complete blood panel of T4,T3 free T4 and free T3 is needed to determine the cause of a low T4 reading. If a dog is sick or run down they could be low T4 and will recover with rest and or supplements to a diet. If put on the medications, it is likely it will always be on them and was very possible that it didn’t need them to start with. Just food for thought.

Old Post 04-19-2019 05:45 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

I know for a fact it's not all genetics , today's food is a big issues aswell , tick disease and the list goes on thyroid is the result of many other conditions . Have female rite now will be 14 was fed a so called top of the line food her whole life wouldn't cycle 2 times in 8 years ,her t4 was low normal they called it and they swore it was the reason she wasn't cycling well soloxxine and dr Roy's extra vit a day 60 days later she had a heat cycle bred her on day 22 of her heat cycle had 9 pups on day 58 after breeding anyway I couldn't stand the way she hunted on soloxxine tryi t to sneak back on trees etc she never did this too her off , her hunting went back to normal ,anyway 4 years went by no issues with treeing coon hunting style etc, get says yup to
D you it was t4 low , wells he hadn't been on anything in 4 years switched off the great dog food no vitamins no nothing at 12.5 years old. She cycled good heat if ice wouldn't have been on pups would have bred her ,but anyway her mother would only cycle once a year the times is coming she is in great shape but long story short genetics plays its part in thyroid but tick diseases no iodized salt in today's dog foods and a host of other issues play as much or more a roll in thyroid issues then genetics Imo

Old Post 04-19-2019 06:12 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

I think alot of it is excuses people make when their dogs are junk

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 04-19-2019 11:55 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I've mostly hunted males, but have had a few females and you could name the months thet a were going to in heat. That's not holding true to the one I have now. Question for the older guys that have more years around females. Have you seen a difference in regular heat cycles from the past to now?

Old Post 04-20-2019 12:10 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I am a doctor and I do treat thyroid dysfunction in people including medication and surgery.

Dogs are not people BUT thyroid disease has many causes.

Genetics: Absolutely there are genetic thyroid diseases in both humans and dogs

Tick Diseases: Absolutely all of them have been known to cause thyroid issues in both humans and dogs

Trauma: Absolutely damage to the thyroid causes thyroid issues (Shock collars??? Pulling on a chain/lead??? Trauma can cause thyroid issues in humans.

Exposure to chemicals/radiation: Absolutely, radiation exposure and chemical exposure cause lots of thyroid issues in people.

Dietary: Absolutely we have to have Iodine or the thyroid quits working in humans and I would say it can in dogs too.

Hormonal related: Absolutely in humans, maybe dogs too?

Last Greed: If a dog does NOT need thyroid medication and they give it to them anyway then it will give them excess energy, it will also eventually kill them with an enlarged hart etc. but once they start even if they don't need it it causes the thyroid to regress and if tested after they are taken off they will show low whether they were really low to begin with or not. Who knows how many of them are that way.

So in short, there are many causes of thyroid issues and only one of the reasons is genetics.

Old Post 04-20-2019 12:27 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rip

Folks, there you have the answers from someone who is actually qualified and knows what he is talking about. Dave

Old Post 04-20-2019 12:36 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I just want to ask a couple questions Dave you already know what dog I am talking about so I won’t say his name. I never have owned a thyroid dog in 40 yrs my dogs come in heat like they are supposed to. They hunt like they are supposed to. I feed the same feed everybody else does my dogs have had tick diseases ( a couple of them ) they got over it. I have shocked them ( some more than others ) tied them out on chains. If one did go from good to sorry I disiplined them and if that didn’t work they went to doggie heaven! That plan has worked for me.

1. There was a dog back in the day that sired one of the most popular studs in history that was a known thyroid dog but breeders stacked him 10 times to get the all grand pedigree knowing it why ?

2. Is it more common in the treeing walker breed ?

3. Why would a person that is giving thyroid medication to their dog ( for extra energy or medical reasons ) charge a stud fee or sell pups out of that dog without disclosing that information ?

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 12:54 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm not saying it can't happen but, pulling on a chain must be one of the least causes of thyroid trouble. Years ago very few people had dog pens. Almost everybody kept their dogs on chains. About 1950 my grandpa had a saddleback deer dog named Speedy. He would drag his dog house all around the back yard.

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:13 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I'm not saying it can't happen but, pulling on a chain must be one of the least causes of thyroid trouble. Years ago very few people had dog pens. Almost everybody kept their dogs on chains. About 1950 my grandpa had a saddleback deer dog named Speedy. He would drag his dog house all around the back yard.

I didn't say it would cause it much I said 100% fact that trauma to the thyroid can cause thyroid issues whether that is a car accident in humans or something else and just wondering if jerking on a chain constantly or shock collars could for some.

Now years ago we bred dogs with enough brains not to be an idiot and jerk the chain constantly, seems like we have more and more dogs that just run around pulling on the chain all day. Contribute? Who knows I just know that trauma does damage a thyroid. How much does it take? That is the million dollar question.

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:16 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar

2. Is it more common in the treeing walker breed ?

3. Why would a person that is giving thyroid medication to their dog ( for extra energy or medical reasons ) charge a stud fee or sell pups out of that dog without disclosing that information ?

Tar

Tar I don't think it can get much worse than it is in the Black and Tan breed it's hard to find one that ain't a thyroid dog any more.

As for giving the info to the breeder that the stud is a thyroid dog, heck sometimes they SELL A DOG without telling the buyer it's a thyroid dog and they find out the hard way two weeks later when the dog quits operating right or when it loses a litter of pups or whatever LOL.

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:19 AM
yadkintar
Banned

I paid $5,000 of hard earned money for a world champion with a letter from the vet saying he was fertile as a turtle !! I gaurentee they did not take (him )to see the vet ! Cost me a $1,000 to go get him another $1,000 to try to get him back fertile and I think those pink pills caused it because it took him two months to come down off something. Bad thing was he was a top coondog without it.

I know all to well.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 04-20-2019 at 01:47 AM

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:37 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I paid $5,000 of hard earned money for a world champion with a letter from the vet saying he was fertile as a turtle !! I gaurentee they did take him to see the vet ! Cost me a $1,000 to go get him another $1,000 to try to get him back fertile and I think those pink pills caused it because it took him two months to come down off something. Bad thing was he was a top coondog without it.

I know all to well.

Tar

Me and you must have bought from the same guy LOL

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:43 AM
yadkintar
Banned

That’s why I raise my own dogs and I ask a lot of questions before I use somebody else’s.

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:49 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

If it is genetic how can it be heavy in every breed? I'm not saying its not, I'm just wandering how it could be in every breed of hound. I don't think its more prevalent in walkers I think they are just tested more.

I know one problem we have, tick disease cause it almost every time. If you don't keep them on tick meds they are going to get it. At the same time we use chemicals to keep the ticks off of them that is likely killing their thyroid. So......

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:51 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I guess Oklahoma ticks don’t have no teeth lol !

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:55 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
If it is genetic how can it be heavy in every breed? I'm not saying its not, I'm just wandering how it could be in every breed of hound. I don't think its more prevalent in walkers I think they are just tested more.

I know one problem we have, tick disease cause it almost every time. If you don't keep them on tick meds they are going to get it. At the same time we use chemicals to keep the ticks off of them that is likely killing their thyroid. So......

all the hound breeds had small gene pools to select breeding stock . line breeding from limited gene pools resulted in heath issues we see today .

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:46 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

RIP, thank you for providing that information. It would be interesting to know how many other breeds other than the coonhounds are experiencing thyroid issues with the increasing rate that the coonhound breeds have been over the last several years.

I've had a bunch of beagles over the last 26 years, belong to a club that hosts AKC Licensed field trials and am in contact with several different beaglers from MN to Maine and south to TN. I've never heard of any hunting beagles having developed thyroid issues from ticks. Plenty with lymes and several with erlicosis.

I'm not in the bird dog circles so don't know much about them regarding thyroid issues. Why do you think the coon hound breeds are experiencing this seemingly elevated rate of thyroid issues? Do any of the rest of you know about other hunting breeds experiencing increasing instancs of thyroid issues?

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:58 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
RIP, thank you for providing that information. It would be interesting to know how many other breeds other than the coonhounds are experiencing thyroid issues with the increasing rate that the coonhound breeds have been over the last several years.

I've had a bunch of beagles over the last 26 years, belong to a club that hosts AKC Licensed field trials and am in contact with several different beaglers from MN to Maine and south to TN. I've never heard of any hunting beagles having developed thyroid issues from ticks. Plenty with lymes and several with erlicosis.

I'm not in the bird dog circles so don't know much about them regarding thyroid issues. Why do you think the coon hound breeds are experiencing this seemingly elevated rate of thyroid issues? Do any of the rest of you know about other hunting breeds experiencing increasing instancs of thyroid issues?

As far as I am aware most other breeds are not testing for it. Cooonhounds are not tested for it for the most part unless they blow up for some unknown reason. Most of the time the symptoms that make people think thyroid are not trailing it is dogs not treeing right, not staying treed, and sometimes not going hunting good. Not sure what the symptoms would be in beagles. No telling how many coonhounds were culled before they discovered the issue. There is absolutely no doubt that some of it is genetic but lots of it is not. I have owned dogs that had it genetically. They usually had symptoms well before they were 2, usually around 12-14 months old. I have another dog that didn't have thyroid issues until he was 9.

His came from something else because a genetic defect would not have waited until he was 9 to show up.

Last edited by Rip on 04-20-2019 at 03:14 AM

Old Post 04-20-2019 03:09 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I believe that I know what you are talking about when you said I know something about a certain line if Walker dogs having thyroid issues. I will say this without naming anyone, the only dogs in my area to be known thyroid dogs WERE his stock of dogs all Walkers. Dave

Old Post 04-20-2019 03:38 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

That’s why I said in a different thread if you was going to title them you better get it done before they were two because after that they went to pieces and never came out of it. We all just hoped in time they would go away quietly.

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 04:44 AM