UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > We Talk About it! Where Does It Come From?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: We Talk About it! Where Does It Come From?

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Many on here talk about BRAINS in a Hound. Many sure say the want it. I will assume we would agree that it is there in an offspring because of a GENETIC reason. If that is close to being true. Then what line of dogs would you look to for a smart puppy with the BRAINS you would want in a finished hound.

I know if someone asked me about what line of dogs put TREEING in the pups. I could answer that.
I know if someone asked me about what lines of hounds TRACKING ability comes from. I could answer that.
If someone wanted a certain mouth or color pattern. Most know what lines of dogs can produce what a person wants.

Many talk about BRAINS. What lines of hounds do you find BRAINS in. Also a short description on how a person could recognize BRAINS in a pup would be appreciated.

When competition rules are made for winning at any cost regardless of which is the best dog...then there will be many dogs bred that really aren’t bred with brains as a priority...

When casting a dog and he leaves at a dead run in a straight line and comes treed in a mile while passing up decent tracks and said dog is looking for a smoking hot track then that dog is a cull in my opinion...

My reasoning tells me this dog is hot nosed and is passing up good tracks...

This dog does not hunt the woods in a thorough manner...

Looking for smoking hot tracks will work when there are quite a few coon because eventually he will strike a hot track...

The dog that takes the tracks as they come will have a better nose as he proves it on a regular basis and probably has a better nose...

Why would anyone want a dog of this type...in my eyes this dog is a cull...especially if he is a deep and alone dog...

I think and I suspect most pleasure hunters that know what a good hunting dog is probably will like the same type of dog I like...

Taking the tracks as they come...hot to medium track...drift on track to find the hot end and get bayed or treed pretty quick but also can work a track as needed...
and having the inclination to wind and go to the game and tree or bay...
Works a patch of woods pretty quick and comes back if no game found or circle further out...whenever this dog comes back or circles further out then you can bet there isn’t any coon in that patch of woods...

So the reason for hotter noses has to do with competitions...or getting closer to the root cause...it”s about WINNING”...the quality of dog doesn’t matter as long as it wins...

Some folks will say...not true...back in 1999 I had a dog that took tracks as they come and he made grand nite champ and someone else will chime in and say the same thing but in 2012...yes there are exceptions to every rule but let’s look at the percentages...the more honest data we collect the more accurate it becomes...

In my opinion when breeding great pleasure dogs that take tracks as they come then these dogs are somewhat in the middle of the road...so when pups are born to these type of parents each generation of pups will gravitate towards being more like their parents...producing a better quality of dog over time...

It seems to me the straight line deep and alone dogs will have a fine line in their genetics...if slightly below or slightly above and they can be labeled as not very smart...

As I’ve said before and will always say it...the rules need to be written in a way so that the best hound can win...

When this happens then there will be smarter hounds and hounds that will be a pleasure to hunt because when the right dogs win more often than not then there will be smarter hounds more often than not in the future...it will be a self fix system as Mother Nature does in nature...

Last edited by Reuben on 07-20-2019 at 03:33 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-19-2019 03:28 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: We Talk About it! Where Does It Come From?

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Many on here talk about BRAINS in a Hound. Many sure say the want it. I will assume we would agree that it is there in an offspring because of a GENETIC reason. If that is close to being true. Then what line of dogs would you look to for a smart puppy with the BRAINS you would want in a finished hound.

I know if someone asked me about what line of dogs put TREEING in the pups. I could answer that.
I know if someone asked me about what lines of hounds TRACKING ability comes from. I could answer that.
If someone wanted a certain mouth or color pattern. Most know what lines of dogs can produce what a person wants.

Many talk about BRAINS. What lines of hounds do you find BRAINS in. Also a short description on how a person could recognize BRAINS in a pup would be appreciated.

When competition rules are made for winning at any cost regardless of which is the best dog...then there will be many dogs bred that really aren’t bred with brains as a priority...

When casting a dog and he leaves at a dead run in a straight line and comes treed in a mile while passing up decent tracks and said dog is looking for a smoking hot track then that dog is a cull in my opinion...

My reasoning tells me this dog is hot nosed and is passing up good tracks...

This dog does not hunt the woods in a thorough manner...

Looking for smoking hot tracks will work when there are quite a few coon because eventually he will strike a hot track...

The dog that takes the tracks as they come will have a better nose as he proves on a regular basis and probably as a better nose...

Why would anyone want a dog of this type...in my eyes this dog is a cull...especially if he is a deep and alone dog...

I think and all pleasure hunters that know what a good hunting dog is probably will like the same type of dog I like...

Take the tracks as they come...hot to medium track...drift on track to find the hot end and get bayed or treed pretty quick but can work a track as needed...
Also have the inclination to wind and go to the game and tree or bay...
Works a patch of woods pretty quick and comes back if no game found or circle further out...whenever this dog comes back or circles further out then you can bet there isn’t any coon in that patch of woods...

So the reason for hotter noses has to do with competition or to get closer to the root cause is “WINNING”...when their are a decent popular of coon a hotter nosed dog has the advantage...

Some folks will say...not true...back in 1999 I had a dog that took tracks as they come and he made grand nite champ and someone else will chime in and say the same thing but in 2012...yes there are exceptions to every rule but let’s look at the percentages...

In my opinion when breeding great pleasure dogs that take tracks as they come then these dogs are somewhat in the middle of the road...so when pups are born to parents of this type when pups are born somewhat below the normalcies it is still more than likely be in the pleasure dog range...at least a good percentage of them...and those that are somewhat above average will be in that range and probably will make excellent competition dogs...

But it seems to me the straight line deep and alone dogs will have a fine line...if slightly below or a move they are labeled as not very smart...

As I’ve said before and will always say it...the rules of need to be written in a way so that the best hound can win...

When this happens then there will be smarter hounds and hounds that will be a pleasure to hunt because when the right dogs win more often than not then there will be smarter hounds more often than not in the future...it will be a self fix system as Mother Nature does in nature...

Old Post 07-19-2019 03:28 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Intelligence

I agree with Reuben. Dogs genetically programed for their #1 priority is to be alone instead of getting game is low on brains! It is a form of mental illness and unintelligent. Keep breeding dogs with mental illness and it will result in dogs that display more issues than just being antisocial. Just my opinion, Ken Risley

Old Post 07-19-2019 01:44 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You can't breed for any one trait. There has to be a balance. You should never forget or leave out the brains/intelligence part. But at the same time, you can't just breed for intelligence. What if the world was full of just Einstein's? Mother Nature takes care of breeding in the wild. Just look at how she does it. I think that Darwin called it "survival of the fittest". And look at how all of the species have evolved through selective breeding in the wild. But with coonhounds, humans have taken over the selective process. How has that worked out? Look at how coonhounds have evolved.

Old Post 07-19-2019 01:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote