UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > A Coon Dog Story? Chapter 1
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

A Coon Dog Story? Chapter 1

This story is about a young man and his girlfriend from Haws Run NC who have been looking for a nice hound for a while that I have been helping some in their search. They are new to the sport and have fell in love with it by tagging along with me and my boys...Well I found them a 5yr old male walker for sale for $1200 that was supposed to be a flat out coon dog. I coordinated the trial and we met the man and took off. When we got to the woods we learned that the man had brought another 15 month old Red Tick dog with him. Puzzled but ok we went for it. First dump both hounds took off and struck and drove track down a creek 400 yards and treed. Slick....Both dogs Jamming this tree. We thought ok it happens (full moon) but it was time to see the walker dog for sale by himself. 2nd dump walker alone would not go hunt. Caught him in the fld and moved deeper down the fld. 3rd dump would not go again... Owner stomps off and walks him in and it starts, booger barking and treeing up saplings and you name it. 50 yards in the woods he finally settles on another slick tree and we brought him out, loaded him, moved to opposite side of the fld and tried again. 4th Dump..same thing would not go and 10 yards in the woods he started the boogering and half tail treeing & just making a mess. After 10 min of this I suggested to turn out the young red tick and lets see what happens. Red Tick 15 months old that is not for sale goes in and the 5 year old walker immediately shuts up and 50 yards in the Red tick strikes (beautiful mouth) and starts driving a track straight away and of course the $1200 walker chimes in tooooooo....200 yards in the Red Tick slams the tree & $1200 walker backs him like a champ. Coon Seen....Needless to say we did not buy the Walker...and no hard feelings just was not what we were looking for.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:07 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

A Coon Dog Story Chapter 2!

The next day I made a few calls looking for a good male to breed my Track Man female to and got up with a well known competition hunter from Lagrange NC...He has a male dog that I have heard a lot about from trusted sources and we set up a time the next day to breed my female. In our conversation I learned that this man had a 4 year old walker male for sale for more money than I thought the young couple could afford. But the young man looking for a hound insisted to ride with me on the breeding trip to at least look at the male that was for sale..Next day myself, my 11 yr old son and the young man took off for the 1 hour drive with my female to Lagrange NC. We got there and took care of the the breeding business and the focus switched over to the 4 year old male that was for sale. The man described the hound and everything sounded great but of course it always does. When the gentleman learned of the situation with the young couple just getting into the sport he knocked $500 off the price of the hound and offered to come to Jacksonville and show the dog in the woods by himself. We set up the trial for Thursday night and we left. Thursday night gets here and its pouring I mean pouring rain. The young couple called me and asked if the trial was still on and I replied yes its on till I hear different from the gentleman from Lagrange. The young couple arrived at my house at 6pm and we (myself, two sons, young couple) loaded up in the rain and went to the meeting place and sure enough the gentleman from Lagrange NC was here and ready to go. Went to one of my spots and it was raining hard enough that I made my two sons get back in the truck. We then turned the hound out down a ridge into a creek bottom. Hound takes off and never looks back. 10 minutes later still raining Hound locates and starts hammer shanking around 150 yards in. We let him tree 5 minutes or so, got the boys out of the truck and we took off. Big oak on the creek bank & coon seen and knocked out. Back to the truck in less than 20 minutes. 2nd dump hound goes in works hard for 30 minutes in pouring rain and pops out at bottom of fld where branch crosses road and we caught him up. Dog never struck. Next dump still raining hound goes in and hunts through the bottom and crosses big creek and 500 yards later getting close to houses and and we drove around and caught him up. Dog never struck. Rain stops and wind lays and we decide to go to another spot and try it again. This next spot has coons but its wet so we get there and once again hound kicks dirt and gets in there 250 yards and strikes! Very good track and hound drives him in there deep. Hard bawl on track and hound takes track across a very large creek and down other side and coon crosses back on our side. Made a big circle and track getting better and better and hound takes him back on opposite side again and slams tree after a good 10 minute run. Long pretty locate rolled over like it is supposed to be. Me and the gentleman from Lagrange let the young generation go in to this one and they took off. Only ones that made it to tree were two that had chest waders on. Big Hollow but I feel hound had him right! All in all a great night with the Gentleman from Lagrange and his son and the young couple bought the dog on the tailgate for more money than they could afford but for less money than I feel the dog was worth. Needless to say the hound was not going back to Lagrange even if the young couple decided not to buy him...I want to thank Mr. Edsol Garris from Langrange NC for selling this young couple a nice hound that can get it done in some rough conditions. I believe they will have some really great nights with Cash in the coming years...

Old Post 02-14-2020 02:00 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

5thgearwide has some competition on telling a good story. Hope he works out good for the couple

Old Post 02-14-2020 02:25 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Great story

Old Post 02-14-2020 02:33 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Great story thanks for sharing and helping our sport.

Old Post 02-14-2020 05:31 PM
Andy Music is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Music Click here to Send Andy Music a Private Message Find more posts by Andy Music Add Andy Music to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Garris

When you got to your meeting spot and Mr. Garris was waiting on you in the rain, I knew he had a decent dog for sale. It was a no excuse let's put him in the woods deal that I love. Congratulations to all of you guys, I hope they have many great nights coon hunting and I hope your pups turned out to be the real deal. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 02-14-2020 at 09:40 PM

Old Post 02-14-2020 06:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

My hat is off to you sir! The imagery and description are spot on, I feel as if I was along for the hunt, I also applaud an honest man selling an honest dog. This entire thread is what it will take to preserve hound hunting and keep the younger generation interested in the sport. Job well done all the way around!

Old Post 02-14-2020 08:07 PM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote