UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting style. Is it trained or in the breeding?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Shannon Senter
UKC Forum Member

Hunting style. Is it trained or in the breeding?

Let’s discuss it....

I’ve dealt in hounds for 30+ years and one of the hardest things to find, outside of accuracy, is hunting power. Back in the day I didn’t want a reverse, I wanted him to go til treed every time. Any more I would rather a dog hunt 600-800 yards, covering a lot of ground, it’s hard not to strike a coon like that, no need in one going a mile now days, if he can’t find one in that distance it doesn’t hurt my feelings a bit for him to come back, we’ll go somewhere else. Is that bred in them or are they trained that way. It’s almost impossible to make a dog go hunting that doesn’t want to, so buying one that has no hunt and trying to fix it is about impossible, for me anyway. So what do you do? When ur training a dog how do u hunt them to try to create the style u want?

In my country we generally walk our dogs. Turn um loose and just go in the general direction, well we used to, a lot more coons now than it used to be. It’s easier for us to cut them from the truck now and just wait. I know a lot of you hunt that way. How do u train your dogs to hunt from the truck? Do the dogs u have just automatically cast like that from a young age? Are u hunting them with another dog that’s pulling them in there? I’m just curious if this hunting style is taught or are they bred for it??

Home Of GrCh GrNtCh Uchtman's Foggy Mtn Blaze

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-05-2020 12:24 AM
Shannon Senter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shannon Senter Click here to Send Shannon Senter a Private Message Click Here to Email Shannon Senter Find more posts by Shannon Senter Add Shannon Senter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I believe the desire to get in the dark is in the breeding but you can fine tune it a little bit also. The style is really hard to change, most come here with an imprint as to the distance and pattern they hunt....Jmo.

Old Post 10-05-2020 12:52 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

NITECH Deepholler Mud Buggs HTX

Let me start by saying he's a dog so on any given night all bets are off. I raised him from a pup. Broke him to a toner at a young age ( by 4 months old). Started simply in the yard with treats. Then as we went for walks, letting him range out more each time. On a normal night he'll go until he trees, but at any time I'm done for any reason, I simply tone him and in he comes. The most he's been and toned back was 1.24 miles according to Garmin. It took him a min. He back tracked he's self right back. I reset the Garmin and he was moving 9.7 mph on the way back. Yes I said anytime, if nothing is going, if he's tracking and if he's treed. I've at different times had to do all. Close to roads, on the wrong side of a big Creek. When looking at swimming or driving and walking miles that tone button is alright.
Now my thoughts on breeding verses training. I believe you can slow a dog down, or get him to check back in, or change most things about his Gears as long as you're Gearing him down. In most cases I've heard of trying to gear one up, don't work. I have little to no experience with that side of it. I use cage coons to train most of my pups in preparation for night hunting. First I cut them right on the spot I turned it loose. Then I begin cutting further from the spot each time, entail before long when you cut he ranges out pretty good looking for a track. Then it's time for night hunting. I generally walk hunt em the first coon or two at night. Then I pick a spot with no danger. Cut em from the old truck, and get back in and lay the seat back. Generally less than 15 minutes they are gone and have found a track. The truck deal is what I do working with any dog that won't go on it's own to start with. But I've seen dogs that won't go on there own. If that's the case start by cutting em with a dog and then wean em off it. Plus you have to work with some dogs about going alone when another dogs in the box. This same method works.
One more thing I break em to walk out without a lead when pleasure hunting, priceless feature.

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 10-05-2020 at 04:12 AM

Old Post 10-05-2020 04:07 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hunting style. Is it trained or in the breeding?

quote:
Originally posted by Shannon Senter
Let’s discuss it....

I’ve dealt in hounds for 30+ years and one of the hardest things to find, outside of accuracy, is hunting power. Back in the day I didn’t want a reverse, I wanted him to go til treed every time. Any more I would rather a dog hunt 600-800 yards, covering a lot of ground, it’s hard not to strike a coon like that, no need in one going a mile now days, if he can’t find one in that distance it doesn’t hurt my feelings a bit for him to come back, we’ll go somewhere else. Is that bred in them or are they trained that way. It’s almost impossible to make a dog go hunting that doesn’t want to, so buying one that has no hunt and trying to fix it is about impossible, for me anyway. So what do you do? When ur training a dog how do u hunt them to try to create the style u want?

In my country we generally walk our dogs. Turn um loose and just go in the general direction, well we used to, a lot more coons now than it used to be. It’s easier for us to cut them from the truck now and just wait. I know a lot of you hunt that way. How do u train your dogs to hunt from the truck? Do the dogs u have just automatically cast like that from a young age? Are u hunting them with another dog that’s pulling them in there? I’m just curious if this hunting style is taught or are they bred for it??

I ain't hunting in your country!! Hope you're doing well brother.

Old Post 10-05-2020 05:43 AM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shannon Senter
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Hunting style. Is it trained or in the breeding?

quote:
Originally posted by daniel urffer
I ain't hunting in your country!! Hope you're doing well brother.

Lol. Doin good buddy

Home Of GrCh GrNtCh Uchtman's Foggy Mtn Blaze

Old Post 10-05-2020 01:14 PM
Shannon Senter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shannon Senter Click here to Send Shannon Senter a Private Message Click Here to Email Shannon Senter Find more posts by Shannon Senter Add Shannon Senter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I agree with most that has been said. Tone button is an unbelievable tool. With that said some dogs work better than others with it. Ya learn how to work a dog with it and they learn how to be worked with it. I have trained plenty of young dogs all are different so nothing set in stone.
A strong drive to hunt can always be trained no drive is a cull.
Straight line hunters are quick to get deep and from what I have seen don't ever hunt around near as well as 1 that it comes to naturally but if taught well with a Tone and the desire to hunt is there anything is possible.

Old Post 10-05-2020 02:42 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

One more thing.
None of them hunt perfectly every night.

Old Post 10-05-2020 02:43 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

I believe the style of hunting that most people do now is much different for lots of reasons and the style of dog that most prefer now has caused dogs to be wilder and go wider.. So I believe breeding and how dogs are being hunted both play a role. An older man who hunted years ago made the comment that he believed the invention of the tracking system changed the way dogs hunted more then anything. Dogs are smart animals and that they learned no matter how far they went we would be able to find them. Rather then a dog circling around you every so often to check the owners whereabouts..

Old Post 10-05-2020 02:50 PM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote