UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breaking dogs off squirrel!?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lone pine56
UKC Forum Member

Breaking dogs off squirrel!?

Any ideas or suggestions??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-30-2014 03:49 PM
Lone pine56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone pine56 Click here to Send Lone pine56 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone pine56 Find more posts by Lone pine56 Add Lone pine56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

I broke my dog off rabbit and opossum by catching one in a cage and caught a coon in the other put them twenty yards apart. Walked her to the off game cage and told her no and took her to the coon and let her have at it. Repeated it again two hrs later but shocked her hard if she showed interest in the off game and petted her up hard on the coon. I've seen her stumble over a opossum and pay it no mind and rabbits run in front of her and she doesn't give them a second look. I believe in showing them what I want before I get mad at them but this may seem weird to some. Good luck with it!

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 04-30-2014 04:44 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevenbry86
UKC Forum Member

this is probably going to sound stupid but i did it and it worked for me when i took my dog for the first time he kept running in the brush and trailing the fire out of somthing then out popped a rabbit and i shot it and picked it up and beat the crap out of him with it and done the same thing with a opossum havent had a single problem out of him since that was 3 years ago and hes a nitechmp now

Old Post 04-30-2014 10:17 PM
stevenbry86 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevenbry86 Click here to Send stevenbry86 a Private Message Find more posts by stevenbry86 Add stevenbry86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

That's not as crazy as what I do haha. Only thing you have to watch out for is hitting the dog to hard with the opossum especially they are heavy and I've heard of a guy causing his dog to have seizures. There's a difference between training and being cruel. I like to switch them with there nose stuck in whatever you don't want them running also.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 04-30-2014 10:26 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

try breaking him from slick treeing, then your squirrel problems will go away.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 05-01-2014 04:45 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone pine56
UKC Forum Member

I've seen the squirrels in the trees. I know when she's slick.

Old Post 05-02-2014 01:32 PM
Lone pine56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone pine56 Click here to Send Lone pine56 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone pine56 Find more posts by Lone pine56 Add Lone pine56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

The only squirrels I have ever seen at night has been two times when coon ran them out of a den and they were running all over the tree!!! Maybe I am uninformed but in hunting 6 nights a week for a lot of years I have never seen squirrels out at night????? I have seen them at dark go into there nests but have yet to see one moving at night and that goes for full moon nights Aswell!!?? Maybe there doing different things in different places but I agree with the fixing the slick treeing problem

Old Post 05-02-2014 07:56 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone pine56
UKC Forum Member

Ok, how would I break my coon dog from treeing lay up squirrels during the day?? How abt that.. When I take mr puppy for a walk how do I stop him from treeing lay ups.. Seems every time I take him for a walk and he falls treed on big oaks w nests in them, I get a squirrel to come out of them... How do I stop this!!!?? Or there's a squirrel hole with a big squirrel tail hanging out of it. How do I prevent my dog from doing these awful things (in day light)

Old Post 05-02-2014 09:39 PM
Lone pine56
UKC Forum Member

And another thing.. How fresh of a track does your dog have to have to trail? I'd like to think my dog was capable of laying up a coon that hasn't been down. Or trail one up that ran 4 hours ago... Do they really have to be "out at night " to tree them!???? Lol come on kids

Old Post 05-02-2014 09:48 PM
Rob Fry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lone pine56
Ok, how would I break my coon dog from treeing lay up squirrels during the day?? How abt that.. When I take mr puppy for a walk how do I stop him from treeing lay ups.. Seems every time I take him for a walk and he falls treed on big oaks w nests in them, I get a squirrel to come out of them... How do I stop this!!!?? Or there's a squirrel hole with a big squirrel tail hanging out of it. How do I prevent my dog from doing these awful things (in day light)

oh my... lol hahah...
some of these comments crack me up.. short tracks or no track and coming treed with no coon.. is prob 75% squirrels .. you don't see them at night because your not looking, they are smaller, and the wont look at a light. The prob is there is a lot of handlers and very few trainers.. thus the slick treein point. most guys hear a dog slam a tree and get in there and nothing is there, did your dog miss, or did it tree just to hear its self bark, or did it really smell something??
squirrels do move at night, I have seen coon push them out of a nest, and I have seen them in trees.. lone pine has a great training question, that most people assume is a tree dog prob.. people make excuses, could have went in that little hole,. could climbed over and went in that den.... excuses for not knowing what they are doing.. like treeing squirrels ..

now.. lone pine56 if you live in northwest Ohio, squirrels are in rut right now, and it is a proven fact they smell similar to coon at this time.. especially high strung, lookin to get hooked dogs.. that is why at this time of the year trailing type dog have more coon in the open.. I will p.m. you my number I know a guy that will fix the prob for you.. and don't feel bad a lot of dogs are doing it this time of the year..

" SPINAL TAP "
GR.NT.CH RAT SCOUT
GR.NT.CH. WILD SLIM ( PACMAN X JOEY)
CH 'PR' FRY'S WIPEOUT ZOEY (Z3 X LONE PINE LIL LADY )
'PR' FRY'S PSYCHO PAC (BELLAR'S PSYCHO X KALAL’S MINNESOTA WHAT’S UP ABBY)
cell # 419-438-6865

Old Post 05-02-2014 09:57 PM
Rob Fry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Fry Click here to Send Rob Fry a Private Message Find more posts by Rob Fry Add Rob Fry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone pine56
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Mr. Fry

Old Post 05-02-2014 10:01 PM
Rob Fry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Thank you Mr. Fry

no prob.. just remember coonhound have natural instinct to tree, the just need to be taught what you want them to tree. be a trainer, not a handler..

" SPINAL TAP "
GR.NT.CH RAT SCOUT
GR.NT.CH. WILD SLIM ( PACMAN X JOEY)
CH 'PR' FRY'S WIPEOUT ZOEY (Z3 X LONE PINE LIL LADY )
'PR' FRY'S PSYCHO PAC (BELLAR'S PSYCHO X KALAL’S MINNESOTA WHAT’S UP ABBY)
cell # 419-438-6865

Old Post 05-02-2014 10:06 PM
Rob Fry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Fry Click here to Send Rob Fry a Private Message Find more posts by Rob Fry Add Rob Fry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ky Show Girl
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breaking dogs off squirrel!?

quote:
Any ideas or suggestions??

i live in the city.i have a maple tree with a den in it above the dog pen.i never seen 1 go in it of a night or had a dog tree of a night
on it.i dont no i always heard squirrells could not see of a night
so i guess just wait a couple hrs after dark.

Old Post 05-02-2014 10:33 PM
Ky Show Girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ky Show Girl Click here to Send Ky Show Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Ky Show Girl Add Ky Show Girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Well if your problem I's during the day then you could go see man in defiance Ohio and have him broke !! 15$ and it works!!!! Most that fool with squirrels during the day once they start treeing coon at night and start chewing on them usually break there's elves !!!! And if he is falling treed late at night the same way I don't believe it's squirrels !!! Jmo I could be wrong I sure don't know much!!! And I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ if that was your thoughts !! Yes people make excuses for dogs and there is a reason for what they do !! Could be the trainer could be gentics could be they just don't have it !!! I believ most these days are to lazy and don't have the brain matter to finish tracks and most sure don't have noses to tree tracks 4-5 hrs gone !! A lot can't tree tracks 15 minutes gone!!! That's what has happen to most in all breeds!! Again jmo!! The man in defiance I can't remember his name I have his card and can find it and will post it when I do !! I hope you get a resolution to your problem!!

Old Post 05-03-2014 12:00 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I've seen squirrels at night, there usually flying squirrels, I've even come across them freshly killed laying on the ground, killed by a coon, while following a dog on a coon track.
I'm not very experienced but here is my two cents.
I think with most pups they grow out of it with good correction and time. I had a pup doing it a bunch, she has now seemed to have grown out of it. Now the pup I am just starting seems to have taking a liking to them. Wouldn't worry to much about it if it's a younger dog, just stay on them and they should grow out of it.

As far as how I personally correct them, I will usually nick them once followed with a scolding, and send them on. It's usually a baseball sized hole in a smaller tree, is I what I have noticed in my area, many times my dog has gone on to tree a coon after sending her on.

I have never heard of a rutting squirrel smelling like a coon, and doubt that is a fact. Not sure how you could prove that one.

Last edited by Fisher13 on 05-03-2014 at 03:01 AM

Old Post 05-03-2014 02:51 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rance56
UKC Forum Member

put out a bird feeder in the yard. when squirrels are on in in daytime, turn the dog loose and shock him when he chases the squirell

Old Post 05-03-2014 03:52 AM
rance56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rance56 Click here to Send rance56 a Private Message Click Here to Email rance56 Find more posts by rance56 Add rance56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roy mac
UKC Forum Member

I have been hunting at night and had squirrel start barking as we where hunting the woods out so I don't find this an odd question.

Old Post 05-03-2014 04:28 AM
roy mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roy mac Click here to Send roy mac a Private Message Find more posts by roy mac Add roy mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

ive had young dogs tree squirrels at night,this dog iam hunting now caught a gray squirrel and brought it to me and this was 2 in the morning,ive never seen that before lol. what i do if i think my dog is treeing squirrels is scold him and lead him off the tree,they usually will stop messing with them as they get older.if i think there treeing slick i send them futher on down the road,i aint never cured slick treeing.

Old Post 05-03-2014 07:59 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jon Millwood
UKC Forum Member

Kill one and lay it on the ground and lead the dog by it. Beat its ass with a switch every time it trys to mess with it. If the dog has any brains it will try to avoid it after a couple switchings.

Old Post 05-03-2014 03:53 PM
Jon Millwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jon Millwood Click here to Send Jon Millwood a Private Message Find more posts by Jon Millwood Add Jon Millwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I saw 5 coon 3 squirrels and a possum in one tree one night. I still dont use the ol squirrel excuse when mine slick trees though.

Old Post 05-03-2014 04:25 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jamie Snyder
UKC Forum Member

Had a dog tree a lot of flying squirrels once. Caught five in a blue bird house during the day, put them in a pillow case over the dogs head and shocked him while they ran crazy all over him. NO MORE SQUIRREL PROBLEM!!!

Old Post 05-03-2014 09:07 PM
Jamie Snyder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamie Snyder Click here to Send Jamie Snyder a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamie Snyder Find more posts by Jamie Snyder Add Jamie Snyder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dennisfoster
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like you got a natural. Why not sale him to a squirrel hunter?

Old Post 05-04-2014 04:47 PM
dennisfoster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dennisfoster Click here to Send dennisfoster a Private Message Find more posts by dennisfoster Add dennisfoster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
j lewis
UKC Forum Member

hunting

if i have a problem with a dog i hunt him in the day light and shock them on 1 at 4sec and keep hunting them at day light tell they stop treeing every 10 min. have used this way of training for many years. remenber shock at 1 for 4SEC.happy hunting jeff lewis.

Old Post 05-05-2014 01:15 AM
j lewis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for j lewis Click here to Send j lewis a Private Message Click Here to Email j lewis Find more posts by j lewis Add j lewis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdog061
UKC Forum Member

Times sure have changed!!! send me those terrible little 4-5 months pups that will burn a rabbit up!!!!!

Ask any "REAL" old timer what he thinks about a pup running rabbits and he will tell you they break off rabbits naturally and it is excellent tracking training!!!

As for squirrells, why on earth wouldn't a person want a dog they can enjoy 24 hours a day??? Oh yea I forgot.....competition hunting!!! Bellamy brothers wrote a song about people like me!!!!

Paul

Old Post 05-07-2014 06:30 AM
bigdog061 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdog061 Click here to Send bigdog061 a Private Message Find more posts by bigdog061 Add bigdog061 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Flint
UKC Forum Member

quote:

When a dog is trailing smelling on logs and around hickory or maple trees it is most likely flying squirrels. Occasionally a red or grey will be out at night but flying squirrels move at night have seen many after dark. I have a young female who likes flying squirrels, one landed beside me on a snag with holes in it. I pushed it over he ran out she smelled it and got shocked.

Gr Nt Ch "PR" Flint's Terrible Tiny
(Tammy X Wootens Ohio River Duke)
Gr Ch Gr Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Rat Poison
( Rat Attack X Hot Pepper)
Gr Nt Ch Gr Ch "Pr"Flint's Pine Knot
(Iron Eagle X Hot Pepper)
Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Jody
Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Big E
(Rat X Tiny)
Ch Nt Ch "Pr"Flint & Chilzers Rat's Boy
( Rat X Pepper)
Nt Ch Ch "Pr" Torch's Hot Pepper
(Torch X Tammy )
=4 wins to GR Nt(1999 Southeastern Treeing Walker Days High Scoring Opposite Sex Winner)
Nt Ch "Pr"Torch's Hot Son
(Torch X Tammy)
Gr. Nt. Ch. "Pr" Flint's Spider Monkey -2 time double cast winner at TWBFA Days
(Gr Nt Ch Honey Creek Spider x Nt Ch Gibbies Easy Money)
Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slingin Daisy May
(Big E X Slobber Slingin Poison)
Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slinging Iron Butterfly
(Gr Nt Ch Gander x Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slinging Daisy May)
Nt Ch Flint’s Tiger Lilly
(Gr Nt Ch Martin’s Hardwood Solo x Hoy’s Treetop Mandy)
Nt Ch Flint’s Sod Buster
(Camo Man x Slobber Sling Daisy May)

Old Post 10-11-2020 02:39 AM
Steve Flint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Flint Click here to Send Steve Flint a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Flint Find more posts by Steve Flint Add Steve Flint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote