UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I think this statement sums up breeding.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think this statement sums up breeding.

I think it was 2 years ago now Allen did an interview at the World Hunt or a Major hunt with several of the top dog men.
Russ Bellar was asked a questions about dogs reproducing.
His response was something like this.
He said he had bred something like 6 world champion females. Not one reproduced a world champion dog.

You get to the top, breed the best you have and by doing the best you can. There is no chance of repeating what you did with the offspring. Doesn't that just knock in the head a lot of breeding theories and dreams many have.

I think what a lot of people are missing is. You just have to enjoy the game. Play it to the best of your ability. If your game is just pleasure hunting around your farm with some friends or wearing out trucks traveling the country. Play the game and be part of it with the best dog you can. Try and move forward through breeding your dogs. But if something else comes along. Investigate it and own it if you can. If you can't own it. Just learn that there is improvement to be made and work towards it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-17-2020 01:33 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Moe, Larry and Curly.. LOL!!!! It was John Monroe, Lee Logan and Russ!

Last edited by edwardfasteddy on 01-19-2020 at 03:16 AM

Old Post 01-17-2020 02:06 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Past UKC World Champions (1978-Present)
2013: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Main Street John The Baptist
2012: WLDNITECH NGRNCH GRNITECH 'PR' Hannas Creek Feelin' Frisky
2011: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Wilcox' Thunder Top Gun
2010: WLDNITECH NGRNCH GRNITECH 'PR' House's Mr.Clean
2009: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Miami River Big D
2008: WLDNITECH NITECH CH 'PR' Rocky Creek Jess
2007: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Bellar's Janice Joplin
2006: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Split Creek History Quick
2005: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Bolden And Turpin's Insane Jane
2004: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Bate's Crytical Chuck
2003: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Little Wood's Scar
2002: WLDNITECH CH NITECH 'PR' Rock River Gap
2001: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' X Jr.
2000: WLDNITECH CH GRNITECH 'PR' Jimmy D's Handsome Hank
1999: WLDNITECH GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Hillside Treeing Kate
1998: WLDNITECH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Daniel's Duke
1997: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Loomacres Rocky MTN Jasper
1996: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Hannas Creek Mac Attack
1995: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' J&R Northern Buck II
1994: WLDNITECH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Charley Creek Terra
1993: WLDNITECH GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Tri Color Tom Tom
1992: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Cowles' Big River Jesse
1991: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Nelson's Radar
1990: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Tony's Wild Joey
1989: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Crawley's Louise
1988: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Kansas Sizzlin Heat
1987: NO PLUS POINTS ON FINAL CAST
1986: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Bellar's Pac-Man
1985: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Miller's Beaver L. Magic
1984: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Smith's Hillbilly Mac
1983: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Indian Creek Pride
1982: WLDNITECH GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Rock River Banjo
1981: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Lewis' Rebel
1980: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Fuller's Red Rooster
1979: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Mullins' Sugar Creek Rip
1978: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Loomis' Tom

I found this in the Archive. The only dogs I know of for Ukc Wch that produced another was Tri Color Tom Tom(Loomacres Jasper), I'm sure there might be another 1 but none that I know of. And Lynn is still hunting dogs out of Jasper. I know Duke isn't hunting much but he still has partnerships on dogs that carry Tom-Tom blood.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:09 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Rock River banjo sire won a world hunt I believe also the acha world hunt was the biggest and most prestigious hunt at one time

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:22 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

FACT if you make a cross and get good pups then that was a good croos if you don't get any good ones then that was a bad cross simple!!

Old Post 01-19-2020 12:52 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Fact is, I had a guy call me back in 1988 or 89 and had a young male out of World Champion Pacman and World Champion Boggy Bottom Bonny. The man said he bought him as a pup, payed a premium price for him, this guy lived up above Pittsburgh in the Butler area but I can't remember his name but someone should know of him but its not that important to the story. He told me the dog was 14 months and wouldn't do a thing. I asked him a few questions about what he had done so far with him and gave him a few pointers on what to do and Bam! the dog took off and he couldn't be bought at any price, he had the dog till he died. Fact is, a lot of those World Champion females pups were in the same hands as this one and never got the right training resulting in the pup getting destroyed. These guys will never say that it was their fault the pup didn't make it, they just write it off as a bad cross.. The Real Fact is, Its very hard to put pups in the right hands. This is my explanation on the answer that was given by the Panel of Legend's... LOL!!!!!

Old Post 01-19-2020 04:31 AM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Eddy is 100% right on putting dogs in the right hands for sure.

Old Post 01-19-2020 05:55 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I think the biggest mistake here is thinking the next world champion is determined in the breeding pen. That is just one of many factors. I always figured that any world champion had at least 100 pups born the same year it was with as good or better coondog genetics but then the other factors come in.
1. The pup has to be raised by someone who will socialize it and give it plenty of running loose and challenging activities.
2. They must get to an experienced green pup trainer. One who is patient and know how to avoid setting a pup back.
3. Then they need to get to someone who is good at putting the finishing training on one to correct any problems.
4. Then they need to be put in the hands of an excellent handler and get a few breaks.
The chances of a talented pup getting to people that specialize in these areas at the right time in its life has a lot to do with the difference in a good coonhound that the owner and a few of his hunting buddies know and respect as a top hound or a nationally known hound that everyone knows about.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 01-19-2020 05:47 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
Eddy is 100% right on putting dogs in the right hands for sure.
More owners have ruined there dog than the pedigree ever did........

Old Post 01-19-2020 05:57 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Your not going to make a big impact in the dog world without deep pockets anymore. You win a major hunt in a month nobody remembers it. You keep going and going and spending and spending and maybe done some winning and then one day you got an old dog that won some hunts and you wallet is a lot lighter.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2020 06:11 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grant Noeske
UKC Forum Member

Here are the links to the videos for the Bellar, Logan & Monroe interview.

https://youtu.be/H6MYFa9GOhE

https://youtu.be/VfZK18SiYbA

https://youtu.be/ArJcLOTmdEc

https://youtu.be/DBfvw5tV_EE

Old Post 01-20-2020 03:31 PM
Grant Noeske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grant Noeske Click here to Send Grant Noeske a Private Message Visit Grant Noeske's homepage! Find more posts by Grant Noeske Add Grant Noeske to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grant Noeske
UKC Forum Member

For some reason I think Lewis' Rbel was out of Mullin's Sugar Creek Rip. Both won the UKC World Hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Past UKC World Champions (1978-Present)
2013: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Main Street John The Baptist
2012: WLDNITECH NGRNCH GRNITECH 'PR' Hannas Creek Feelin' Frisky
2011: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Wilcox' Thunder Top Gun
2010: WLDNITECH NGRNCH GRNITECH 'PR' House's Mr.Clean
2009: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Miami River Big D
2008: WLDNITECH NITECH CH 'PR' Rocky Creek Jess
2007: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Bellar's Janice Joplin
2006: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Split Creek History Quick
2005: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Bolden And Turpin's Insane Jane
2004: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Bate's Crytical Chuck
2003: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Little Wood's Scar
2002: WLDNITECH CH NITECH 'PR' Rock River Gap
2001: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' X Jr.
2000: WLDNITECH CH GRNITECH 'PR' Jimmy D's Handsome Hank
1999: WLDNITECH GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Hillside Treeing Kate
1998: WLDNITECH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Daniel's Duke
1997: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Loomacres Rocky MTN Jasper
1996: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Hannas Creek Mac Attack
1995: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' J&R Northern Buck II
1994: WLDNITECH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Charley Creek Terra
1993: WLDNITECH GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Tri Color Tom Tom
1992: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Cowles' Big River Jesse
1991: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Nelson's Radar
1990: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Tony's Wild Joey
1989: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Crawley's Louise
1988: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Kansas Sizzlin Heat
1987: NO PLUS POINTS ON FINAL CAST
1986: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Bellar's Pac-Man
1985: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Miller's Beaver L. Magic
1984: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Smith's Hillbilly Mac
1983: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Indian Creek Pride
1982: WLDNITECH GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Rock River Banjo
1981: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Lewis' Rebel
1980: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Fuller's Red Rooster
1979: WLDNITECH NITECH 'PR' Mullins' Sugar Creek Rip
1978: WLDNITECH GRNITECH 'PR' Loomis' Tom

I found this in the Archive. The only dogs I know of for Ukc Wch that produced another was Tri Color Tom Tom(Loomacres Jasper), I'm sure there might be another 1 but none that I know of. And Lynn is still hunting dogs out of Jasper. I know Duke isn't hunting much but he still has partnerships on dogs that carry Tom-Tom blood.

Last edited by Grant Noeske on 01-20-2020 at 03:42 PM

Old Post 01-20-2020 03:37 PM
Grant Noeske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grant Noeske Click here to Send Grant Noeske a Private Message Visit Grant Noeske's homepage! Find more posts by Grant Noeske Add Grant Noeske to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

I haven't reviewed the interview but I think they were talking about the females side... meaning a World Champion female reproducing a World Champion..?

Old Post 01-20-2020 03:56 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I just watched the first of those 4 videos. John Monroe said three things that stood out to me. First was, accuracy wasn't something we even talked about in the 70's and 80's. When a dog treed it was because he had a real live raccoon above him. Second he didn't want a dog that would have to fight to stay treed. Third he didn't approve of a man whipping his dog for coming into a tree where other dog s were treed. What happened to that way of thinking?

Old Post 01-20-2020 04:45 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I just watched the first of those 4 videos. John Monroe said three things that stood out to me. First was, accuracy wasn't something we even talked about in the 70's and 80's. When a dog treed it was because he had a real live raccoon above him. Second he didn't want a dog that would have to fight to stay treed. Third he didn't approve of a man whipping his dog for coming into a tree where other dog s were treed. What happened to that way of thinking?

Some of us still think that way but the wagons are circled and we are outnumbered.

Tar

Old Post 01-20-2020 04:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

What about Z3. He never won a world hunt but produced 5 that did. Has there ever been a dog that sired as many big hunt winners as him?

Old Post 01-20-2020 10:56 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
What about Z3. He never won a world hunt but produced 5 that did. Has there ever been a dog that sired as many big hunt winners as him?

I thought he only produced truck winners 😂

Old Post 01-20-2020 11:15 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Sounds like he approved of real coon dogs to me. Never been to a competition hunt, although I'd like to, but not if those aren't the values that win competition hunts.

Old Post 01-20-2020 11:23 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grant Noeske
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Trueblood85
Sounds like he approved of real coon dogs to me. Never been to a competition hunt, although I'd like to, but not if those aren't the values that win competition hunts.

That kind of dog will still win a lot of hunts.

Old Post 01-21-2020 12:52 AM
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Zeb3 was a REPRODUCER! I think he produced more World Champions, Truck Winners and More Platinum Champions then any other stud so far. Three wasn't a World Champion but he should have been or should I say could have been, He was one of the best dogs in the country when he was being hunted and produced dogs just as good.... Over powering track dogs that would tree and here's the part I like.. They would show you the Meat, Grease, Coons, Goods, Bacon or whatever look'in down at ya! That's what made them Big Winners.....

Old Post 01-21-2020 01:45 AM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
Zeb3 was a REPRODUCER! I think he produced more World Champions, Truck Winners and More Platinum Champions then any other stud so far. Three wasn't a World Champion but he should have been or should I say could have been, He was one of the best dogs in the country when he was being hunted and produced dogs just as good.... Over powering track dogs that would tree and here's the part I like.. They would show you the Meat, Grease, Coons, Goods, Bacon or whatever look'in down at ya! That's what made them Big Winners.....

I dought there will ever be a reproducer like him. He only had a little over 600 pups. The amount of world class hounds he produced for no more pups that he produced is unreal.

Old Post 01-21-2020 03:10 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

Another great post Mr. Bruce!

Several others have already nailed it, but if you have doing this for more than 5 min you know it is WAYYYYY more important who's hands a pup gets in than what it's pedigree says.

IMO, pedigree does matter when it comes to looks and style of hunting, but when it comes to that pup making a dog that consistently trees coons and can compete in the hunts, its all about the person that raised and trained them - period.

Old Post 01-21-2020 12:30 PM
B McDaniel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B McDaniel Click here to Send B McDaniel a Private Message Click Here to Email B McDaniel Visit B McDaniel's homepage! Find more posts by B McDaniel Add B McDaniel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
[B]Zeb3 was a REPRODUCER! I think he produced more World Champions, Truck Winners and More Platinum Champions then any other stud so far. Three wasn't a World Champion but he should have been or should I say could have been, He was one of the best dogs in the country when he was being hunted and produced dogs just as good.... Over powering track dogs that would tree and here's the part I like.. They would show you the Meat, Grease, Coons, Goods, Bacon or whatever look'in down at ya! That's what made them Big Winners..... [i/B]
incredible cautch won the acha world hunt i hunted with her a bunch when ora had her in iowa ,she was fast on both ends action packed , sired by zeb 3

Old Post 01-21-2020 01:04 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Why did he only produce 600 pups?

Old Post 01-21-2020 01:19 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Fast Eddie,

I see where you inquired about a female about two years ago...seems she had zeb3 breeding top and bottom...did you buy her?

Also, do these dogs have the heart to go one on one with a full grown coon?

Just wondering if they would make good hog dogs...I need a dog that can find the hot end of the tracks quickly and then stick with a runner until stopped...Stopping a runner quickly the better...thanks

Old Post 01-21-2020 03:18 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote