UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hours per week
Hours in the woods year round
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Less than 3 hours 24 31.17%
5 hours 20 25.97%
10 hours 17 22.08%
Over 10 hours 16 20.78%
Total: 77 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Hours per week

Okay I know most everyone hunts all night every night. But just for fun to compare thoughts. how much time in the woods do you think the average hound gets on average? Not driving time not thinking of hunting time not made up time, true woods time.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2020 06:40 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

The avg hound or our personal hound?

My dog probably gets somewhere around 15-35 roughly. Depends on how wore down I am more so than the dog.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-14-2020 08:12 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Average hounds get 5 hours per week...if it's lucky

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:04 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

If you are talking about everyone that identifies as a coonhunter and has a dog or two and your talking about year round, it will average less than an hour per night and probably less than an hour per month. When you call about half of the dogs for sale you will be told they are pen stale and need to be hunted up.

Old Post 01-15-2020 03:07 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

If mine don’t get at least 10 hours a week I don’t feel like I’m doing my job

Old Post 01-15-2020 12:21 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Went last night we hunted what I thought was a long hunt when we got through I told my buddy if we were still hunting in the 3 hr hunt days we would just now be finished lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:41 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Dogs in the woods and hunting 2 hrs a night, 5 nights a week every week is only 10 hrs a week. Do 50% of coonhunters do that?

On another note, how many trees does everyone's dog make in a typical night or on average?

What matters most quantity or quality.....time spent or tracks run/trees made?

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Dogs in the woods and hunting 2 hrs a night, 5 nights a week every week is only 10 hrs a week. Do 50% of coonhunters do that?

On another note, how many trees does everyone's dog make in a typical night or on average?

Made 3 dens and 3 slicks no coon seen.

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Well I hunted last night from 7 to 2 am. My young female only made 2 trees, she backed on a porcupine and treed a coon. The other dogs we were hunting managed to tree 8 singles and a double.

Monday I hunted similar times and treed a couple with her. Saturday hunted from 8-11, treed 1. Sunday hunted from 9-1 treed 2.

But I'd say the avg dog doesn't hunt but 1 night a week at most. And they probably only hunt for an hour or 2.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by novicane65 on 01-15-2020 at 02:10 PM

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:06 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't think it is really about the amount of hours the dog spends in the woods at all. It's about how you and your dog handle the time spent in the woods. Weather it is just minutes or hours.
I hunted some dogs way to many hours that never made worth while coon dogs.

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:20 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So Eric, that is 14 hrs and 7 trees.

Tarbaby, that sounds like 3 hrs and 6 trees.

I hunted 4 hrs last night and my dogs made 1 tree and 2 holes.

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

Got 6 inches of rain the other day it has me shut out of hunting my good spots. The slicks were give up trees I think. The dens they run them pretty good I feel like they had them. Got anouther 2 inches coming Thursday and Friday that’s why it’s public hunting it floods.

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:31 PM
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I don't think it is really about the amount of hours the dog spends in the woods at all. It's about how you and your dog handle the time spent in the woods. Weather it is just minutes or hours.
I hunted some dogs way to many hours that never made worth while coon dogs.

I agree with that too

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:58 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cody C
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I was thinking the same thing, Richard. To me it's not about total amount of minutes or hours, it's frequency and quality of the hunt. During the week I try to hunt as often as I can, and the goal is to tree at least 1 coon. If I tree a quick one, i'll recast and hope for number 2. If it takes 2 hours to tree 1, then i'm packing up and headed home. Some nights the dog(s) spend an hour in the woods, and other nights they might be out 3 or 4 hours.

Coons are thin where I live, so if I can tree 1 or 2 where I actually see the coon, then I consider that a good night.

Old Post 01-15-2020 04:24 PM
Cody C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cody C Click here to Send Cody C a Private Message Click Here to Email Cody C Find more posts by Cody C Add Cody C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

? And being serious

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Well I hunted last night from 7 to 2 am. My young female only made 2 trees, she backed on a porcupine and treed a coon. The other dogs we were hunting managed to tree 8 singles and a double.

Monday I hunted similar times and treed a couple with her. Saturday hunted from 8-11, treed 1. Sunday hunted from 9-1 treed 2.

But I'd say the avg dog doesn't hunt but 1 night a week at most. And they probably only hunt for an hour or 2.

Not being rude in any way. Just curious. When you gave these times is that dog in woods time or home to home time?

Old Post 01-15-2020 05:09 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like some needs to do more hunting and some training in woods!! and less time on the internet.

Old Post 01-15-2020 05:40 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Aimed at me

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
Sounds like some needs to do more hunting and some training in woods!! and less time on the internet.

If that was aimed at me, strap your boots on and come on boy. Day or night I'll take off to hunt with you. Bring your dog and let's go. I don't hunt all night every night, hunt when I can. Hunted last night made it home about midnight. Buggs only hunted for maybe an hour. Between driving and cutting different dogs.
If it wasn't aimed at me, yes lots need to spend more time in the woods.

Old Post 01-15-2020 05:55 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Average hounds get 5 hours per week...if it's lucky

I totally agree. For me it hugely varies on time of year, needs of the dog ect. This is precisely why I have one dog. It needs more than my best weeks can give it.

To me it's not as much time limitations as just shear boredom. Don't get me wrong, I like to coon hunt, but my good gracious it's painful at times standing in the dark listening to a dog do the same thing it did yesterday for even a few nights in a row. If you got buddies it's fun, if you were collecting furs it was fun, or if you were getting hunted up for an event at least there is a goal.

To leave my house in the dark, drive, cut, listen, walk to a tree, shine and repeat can only be a thrill in small doses or with constant new dogs. 30 years ago? Maybe, there was just less to interest me, but now a days.... I'd need to lose electric.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-15-2020 06:14 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH

You would dookie your drawers if you had to hunt in my woods !

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2020 06:18 PM
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

I don't have the energy to hunt more than one dog a night. So I'd say quality is more important to me than quantity. I'm usually in the woods by 7 try to get 2 treed and to the house 4 to 5 night's a week. Most night's I'm heading out of the woods by 8 and 9 on a bad night. I keep 2 dogs hunted up and ready for competition this way without any problems.

Old Post 01-15-2020 06:29 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I can’t remember the last night I missed and If I could I’d QUIT!!! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Old Post 01-15-2020 07:17 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

It depends on the time of year. April 15th to July 8th is our quiet time (can't have a dog in the woods), but we can competition hunt. This is the least hunting my dog gets. Summer time once or twice a week. Fall, I hunt pretty much 4 nights a week. Winter I hunt as much as the weather allows. This year it has been pretty close to 3 nights a week. Deep snow and extreme temperatures will keep me home (well sometimes). Cabin fever can be a really bad thing. A couple of years ago, I stepped off the road and was waist deep in snow.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 01-15-2020 07:29 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: ? And being serious

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
Not being rude in any way. Just curious. When you gave these times is that dog in woods time or home to home time?

woods time, not including the driving being done.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-15-2020 07:36 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Aimed at me

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
If that was aimed at me, strap your boots on and come on boy. Day or night I'll take off to hunt with you. Bring your dog and let's go. I don't hunt all night every night, hunt when I can. Hunted last night made it home about midnight. Buggs only hunted for maybe an hour. Between driving and cutting different dogs.
If it wasn't aimed at me, yes lots need to spend more time in the woods.

BOY! if you get insulted by that!! I guess it was aimed at you also.

Old Post 01-15-2020 07:45 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yes but like last night there was a bunch of walking between 4 dogs. I lost her on the Garmin for 2 hours and wasn't worried in the slightest about it. I knew she'd get treed somewhere. Now I will say I don't think she's a "track dog" but I don't think she's a "tree" dog either. She doesn't have a great nose but what she does do is tree coons not just trees and she will "go hunting". Saturday here it was 15° with 30 mph gusts and steady 15 mph winds. She was the only dog to tree a coon.And we don't have a high coon population here.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 01-15-2020 07:46 PM