UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhunting pistol ?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Coonhunting pistol ?

Anyone hunt with one ? Just thought it might be something different. If so what do u use as far as brand,barrel length,scope,etc. ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-08-2019 05:49 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Will

I used to hunt with a Colt Woodsman 4.5 barrel. There are several good pistols such as Ruger targer model auto or revolver, T/C Contender, and several others. I just dont like the loud noise from a pistol these days hunting closer to residential areas. I still have pistols that I carry, just don't use to shoot out coons due to noise, especially if you have to shoot several times. Dave

Old Post 01-08-2019 06:01 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Used a Colt Woodsman years ago but handguns are so dang loud. Much of the time I'm packing along a young pup and loud gunfire isn't just the best thing for a pup. That's why it's all rifle and subsonics anymore.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-08-2019 12:04 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
natnicegg
UKC Forum Member

Ruger Mark IV lite fitted with a suppressor is a great choice.

Old Post 01-08-2019 04:59 PM
natnicegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natnicegg Click here to Send natnicegg a Private Message Click Here to Email natnicegg Find more posts by natnicegg Add natnicegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

There were fewer shots fired at the OK Corral than it takes for most people to hit a coon with a pistol.

Old Post 01-08-2019 06:26 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sdbillyg
New UKC Forum Member

Now that is funny for sure. I use a ruger mark IV hunter as my main pistol.

Old Post 01-08-2019 06:50 PM
sdbillyg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sdbillyg Click here to Send sdbillyg a Private Message Find more posts by sdbillyg Add sdbillyg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bns3
UKC Forum Member

SW mp22 compact with crimson trace rail master laser. sighted at 15yds easy center mass double tap or head shot
Always carry it year round, good to make coyotes fear coming to tree also LOL

Old Post 01-08-2019 06:58 PM
bns3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bns3 Click here to Send bns3 a Private Message Find more posts by bns3 Add bns3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Ruger mkll. Add a pair of crimson trace lazer grips to become a coon sniper.

Old Post 01-08-2019 07:52 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bns3
SW mp22 compact with crimson trace rail master laser. sighted at 15yds easy center mass double tap or head shot
Always carry it year round, good to make coyotes fear coming to tree also LOL

Another reason i want one.

Old Post 01-09-2019 04:51 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

If everyone is like me y’all better have plenty of shells!

Old Post 01-09-2019 05:01 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Ennen
UKC Forum Member

Ruger sr22 with a CT on the rail. Drop it in your pocket and it’s ready if you need it. I’m done dragging a gun through branches and brush.

Old Post 01-09-2019 07:28 PM
Rick Ennen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Ennen Click here to Send Rick Ennen a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick Ennen Find more posts by Rick Ennen Add Rick Ennen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

Ruger Charger. It’s more of a glorified pistol in my opinion. And the gun shy breaking is done at home. What do you think treed bears are shot with, CB shorts?

Old Post 01-09-2019 08:57 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

My brother uses a browning buck mark and it really is a nice 22 pistol...

A buddy of mine has killed many with his browning buck mark...

I like it as well...but one day I will buy the ruger mark IV with the walnut hand grip...

Old Post 01-10-2019 02:52 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

X2 on the Browning buckmark. Just open sights. I used to carry it all the time, and I was always able to get the coon out.... But I remember one way up in a big tall tree in a river bottom that probably took 20+ shells...

Old Post 01-10-2019 03:11 AM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pascpaua
UKC Forum Member

Ruger single 6 9 1/2 inch barrel

Old Post 01-10-2019 05:16 AM
Pascpaua is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pascpaua Click here to Send Pascpaua a Private Message Click Here to Email Pascpaua Find more posts by Pascpaua Add Pascpaua to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Baggs
UKC Forum Member

coon hunting pistol

It's a S&W 22-a for me.... With a cheaper red dot optics, also have an LED flashlight that I attach to the rail for light to see what I'm shooting at . The light from your head lamp reflects back unless you can cock your head or hat just right.

Works nice for me, B

Old Post 01-10-2019 07:12 PM
Baggs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Baggs Click here to Send Baggs a Private Message Click Here to Email Baggs Find more posts by Baggs Add Baggs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneckcoondog
UKC Forum Member

ruger single six six in barrell

Old Post 01-10-2019 10:04 PM
redneckcoondog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneckcoondog Click here to Send redneckcoondog a Private Message Click Here to Email redneckcoondog Find more posts by redneckcoondog Add redneckcoondog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneckcoondog
UKC Forum Member

ruger single six six in barrell

Old Post 01-10-2019 10:04 PM
redneckcoondog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneckcoondog Click here to Send redneckcoondog a Private Message Click Here to Email redneckcoondog Find more posts by redneckcoondog Add redneckcoondog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

I have used a Ruger single six for over 20 years, it was my dad's before he gave it to me when I was old enough to get a pistol license. I have started using a Smith and Wesson semiautomatic recently.

Whatever kind you use they are next to worthless without a scope or laser. Carry one once and you will never want to drag a rifle around again.

My advice is USE EARPLUGS!!!! If you could hear the constant ringing in my ears you would understand why.

Old Post 01-10-2019 11:23 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

used SW 22-A with a scope for awhile. can pound nails at 50yrds. stopped using it when I started hunting abunch of young dogs. too loud.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:39 AM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

.22 revolver

I used to use a H&R 939 .22 revolver 6 inch barrel when I was young and could see the sights...lol.... Took it one night several years ago, well that coon was safe couldn't see the sights worth a darn... Never fired a shot. If I'd get another it would have to have a scope on it.. I can shoot the H&R in the day just not at night anymore.

Old Post 01-13-2019 03:05 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

Browning Buckmark hands down. It has about the easiest and smoothest triggers out of the box of any of the others.

NITECH CH 'PR' MILL CREEK BO-R.I.P.
NITECH CH 'PR' HOUSE'S SCREAMIN NELL

Old Post 01-13-2019 03:19 PM
David Richardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Richardson Click here to Send David Richardson a Private Message Find more posts by David Richardson Add David Richardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Pistol

Ruger Mark III with irons, I think it's a 4 inch barrel, with CCI Quiets.
The only problem I see is having to rack the slide back after every shot due to case pressure not operating the slide for me.

Old Post 01-13-2019 06:54 PM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Can you shoot LR quiet shells in a revolver?

Old Post 01-13-2019 07:40 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Yes you can, the problem of shooting them in automatics is, they don't have enough power to work the bolt back and you have to fire single shots and work the bolt yourself. Revolvers fire these rounds without any problems, revolvers will chamber and fire any 22 round cb , quiets, shorts, etc. Dave

Old Post 01-13-2019 07:52 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote