UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Game Drive
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SwampCreekHound
UKC Forum Member

Game Drive

What line of hound has had the strongest game drive for you as a pup, alone, in recent years. I am looking for a line of dogs with a strong desire to go find something to run whenever its turned out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2018 09:47 PM
SwampCreekHound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SwampCreekHound Click here to Send SwampCreekHound a Private Message Find more posts by SwampCreekHound Add SwampCreekHound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Drive

Not trying to disrespect no one. I was in a hunt the other week and fellows struck 2 dogs in the minute and when they got treed, were a mile and 1tenth with a dragster opposum. 😂 One was WO bred and other was H bred. I say they was game driven.

Old Post 12-20-2018 02:44 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

A few years ago, when it was still pretty concentrated, the Harry bred stuff was about as gamey as they come. Those dogs/pups were looking to put their nose on a track or their teeth into game when you turned them loose. They seemed to have some bad kennel manners (pacing, barking, etc.) associated with all that drive and energy, but when you got them focused, and had them hunted down, that line of dogs shot through the country looking to make something happen.

Old Post 12-20-2018 03:01 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

clover without a doubt they will run anything and want to do so. And I dont like em either

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 12-20-2018 03:52 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I’ve hunted a bunch of dogs out of a bunch of different studs but I’m hunting the most junky pup I’ve ever hunted in my life right now. He can flat burn one through the country with or without anything with him. Most can’t keep up with him and he is out of Smirnoff!!

Old Post 12-20-2018 07:03 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Most Gamey litter of pups I ever saw were off a male that was out of Sunrise and Wipeout bred. The Dam was heavy Sackett bred.

That whole litter would back up from nothing and were going as far as it took through these swamps at 5 months of age. I very seldom ever have my dogs trash on bobcats. Cats didn't stand a chance with these pups. They all had a lot of fire in their belly's to get gone and run something.

I was not a fan of Sackett, Jr dogs many years ago. Even though they were winning and treeing coon all over the country. I wanted more of a track dog with some more accuracy for where I hunted. Just a personal thing, Time has changed things and now some old time Sackett Blood crossed on several of these other lines is having some outstanding results.
Get some good Sackett blood from a good reproducing female or male crossed on the following and you have something.
Bone Collector
Harry
Wipeout
No dig back as far as you can and breed as good a dog as you can out of the three above mentioned lines on a well bred Sackett hound and you will have all the dog you need and you don't have to wait till its grey in the face to tree a coon.

If you honest with yourself and you're open minded and willing to LOOK at things and don't get kennel blind or if yours are out performed you say its because the competition is babbling, cutting tracks or any other excuse you can come with. You will see that TIME changes things. People talk about track dogs. Then then see a coonhound that blisters a track and seem to have coons in the smaller trees because they had to climb. They push the coon to the tree, winding him as they drive the coon there and coming treed without having to smell all around and accurate as anything out there. This isn't because they have longer legs or tighter feet. This is track speed gained from running with their heads up and a nose that can keep them on the track.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-20-2018 at 11:57 AM

Old Post 12-20-2018 11:46 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gmccall
UKC Forum Member

What I've seen in my almost fifty years of coonhunting is that every breed and every strain in those breeds have some real good dogs and a big bunch of sorry ones and all those real good ones just won't reproduce find a breed you like and hunt different strains and remember it's not just the male got to have good females also. I personally hunt walkers, the yadkin River strain and I'm very selective about what dogs from this strain l hunt, breed and keep. When you finally get one that does pretty good, go to a few hunts or call other people that hunt so you can compare your dog to others this lets you know what you have. It's not just about the dogs it's the fellowship and friends that mean the most.

Old Post 12-20-2018 02:16 PM
Gmccall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gmccall Click here to Send Gmccall a Private Message Click Here to Email Gmccall Find more posts by Gmccall Add Gmccall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

x2

Old Post 12-20-2018 02:38 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I know what a good hunting dog is...when I hunt with someone who has a good hunting dog I will shake their hand...

Old Post 12-20-2018 03:51 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

X2

Couldn't have said it any better.

Old Post 12-20-2018 07:22 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SwampCreekHound
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate the info.

Old Post 12-20-2018 09:07 PM
SwampCreekHound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SwampCreekHound Click here to Send SwampCreekHound a Private Message Find more posts by SwampCreekHound Add SwampCreekHound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Ursus plotts

Old Post 12-20-2018 09:10 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I have fooled with a lot of different pupsbin the last 10 -15 years, always get one or two a year and start them, usually end up selling them at some point because i find something i dont like. Right now i am hunting two twenty month old pups off kevin cables big money and a county thunder bred bitch. Started them by themselves, bitch had treed over 50 coons before her first birthday, go hunting and the most sensible around the house and kennel i have had in years. Nice tree dogs, no jumping, chewing. They have been a little junky at times but for the most part prefer coons and end up under coons when they do run something off. Male started a little later than female but I really like how he operates. Both move around well.

Old Post 12-21-2018 12:13 AM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote