UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Young People, Talk to Us!!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Young People, Talk to Us!!

All us old goats and soon to be old goats. Get on here and we try to melt 30, 40, 50, 60, years of coon hunting into one post on how it was done and how it needs to be done today.

I want to hear from the youngsters. Yes, those young boys and girls, young men and women that love this sport. Please speak up and let us know what is important to you. How you view coon hunting today. What you think of the pups you are raising and training today without any first hand knowledge of the past.

What do you young people like about the hunts. What don't you like. (Please don't say old people) LOL.
What are your expectations on that new coon hound pup and how much ability you expect it to have and how much training to you think your going to have to give it.

Youngsters. Please talk to us!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-03-2019 01:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

Define: youngsters?

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 07-03-2019 03:01 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

Is it your age? How long that you have hunted? I am trying to figure out which group I am in lol

–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 07-03-2019 03:03 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I started coon hunting to stay competitive. Not bragging on myself but I was an extremely good athlete when my playing days were over I still wanted to compete. Dad has coon hunted 300+ nights a year for as long as I can remember so it was the easiest transition. A lot of guys do it to “better breeds” or create there own bloodline/legacy I’ll be honest with you I’m gonna leave that up to my dad I’ve bred my dog to 2 females and have turned down a bunch. I pleasure hunt because you have to if you want to win but if there was a way to have a big time winner without pleasure hunting that’s what I would do. I just thrive on the competition. The more that’s at stake the better I like it. I honestly enjoy those high stress high intensity cast where everyone is on edge and there are cross words several times In the 2 hour period. I just love lining mine up beside 3 others with a lot on the line and playing out a strategy. I’ll be 20 steps ahead before we ever tune our dogs loose. I guess that’s why I coon hunt. The rush I get driving to the woods at a big event.
As far as what I expect from a pup I Just want one that is a natural born track driver with a head full of sense. If they have those 2 qualities NATURALLY I can make a good dog out of them. I feel like a lot of the guys/girls my age are so hung up on the deep and alone theme and not ever wanting one to back that they ruin a lot of dogs. I honestly don’t care how they operate as long as they are the best at it. The dog I’m hunting now if he’s struck he’s deaf to dogs but if he’s not and he’s in the area he will back. Also if I pull him off of a tree with other dogs split close by I can walk him away from them and he will go On I can cut him towards them and he will cover like a blanket just depends on what I need. I feel like a lot of the ppl my age are to one dimensional in there training but I’ve had a pretty good teacher.
I’d say that the biggest difference today vs the past is social media. It’s our best friend and worst enemy. It’s great for promoting events/dogs but it’s also extremely bad about ruining events/dogs as well to many people don’t know how to manage it. Something else I’ve noticed with the social media is everyone wants a pat on the back. I see probably 50 pictures of $63 cast wins a week and probably that many post of ppl winning a cast at a $20 hunt as well. You don’t see the Ronnie Bones, Sluggo, Or the Ronnie Smith’s of The world doing that. If everyone would quit worrying about what everyone else was feeding this Game would be a lot more fun to play that’s for sure...

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 07-03-2019 04:32 PM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[i]I’d say that the biggest difference today vs the past is social media. It’s our best friend and worst enemy. It’s great for promoting events/dogs but it’s also extremely bad about ruining events/dogs as well to many people don’t know how to manage it. Something else I’ve noticed with the social media is everyone wants a pat on the back. I see probably 50 pictures of $63 cast wins a week and probably that many post of ppl winning a cast at a $20 hunt as well. [/B]

Well Said! Everyone wants to post their scorecard or cast win photo and get a thousand likes and congrats.

–- Wyatt Earp

Old Post 07-03-2019 04:41 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Team Mafia 2. In your post was something interesting I was discussing with a friend the other day.

You mentioned TRACK DRIVER. In past years. I have seen young dogs be a track driver. They struck something, right or wrong they were moving it out. It was as if tracking and running a track and getting it hot is was they were born to do. Which I think it should be. LOL Well today I see a lot of young dogs that will strike a track and bark some over here and then move to over there and bark some. Just barking on anything that might excite them for the moment. Just to loose interest and move on. Instead of striking one track and driving it. Right or wrong.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 07-03-2019 at 06:13 PM

Old Post 07-03-2019 06:06 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakecumberledge
UKC Forum Member

I like the competition side of the sport being in the cast where it comes down to the last tree I like the traveling part of competing hunting in different terrains seeing different dogs work and meeting new people that you wouldn't get to see just going to the local hunts all the time as for a dog I agree with what team mafia 2 said everyone wants that deep and lonely anymore but if I like the way it operates and can win here and there I dont care if they cover some and as far as pups go I'll take that one at a young age that will put a hole in the dark and find something to run and run it you can break most of them off off game but it's hard to teach one to go hunting that has no drive to

“PR”Woodland Country Side
“PR”Dukes Tree Bustin Duchess
“PR”Country Roads Ranger Jim

Beagles
CH GRHBCH Shenango Shylo
HBCH"PR"Shenango White River Bella
Woodland Drew Brees
Woodlands Blazin MJ
HBCH Woodland K Hello Dolly
“PR”Woodland Danger Ranger
State Line Gypsy

Old Post 07-03-2019 06:28 PM
jakecumberledge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jakecumberledge Click here to Send jakecumberledge a Private Message Find more posts by jakecumberledge Add jakecumberledge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Team Mafia 2. In your post was something interesting I was discussing with a friend the other day.

You mentioned TRACK DRIVER. In past years. I have seen young dogs be a track driver. They struck something, right or wrong they were moving it out. It was as if tracking and running a track and getting it hot is was they were born to do. Which I think it should be. LOL Well today I see a lot of young dogs that will strike a track and bark some over here and then move to over there and bark some. Just barking on anything that might excite them for the moment. Just to loose interest and move on. Instead of striking one track and driving it. Right or wrong.

I want them to run everything they strike like they are looking at it. We have been blessed with a line of dogs that consistently throws track driving dogs. Believe it or not Demon has caught and Killed a coyote. Another young dog I was hunting a few years ago caught an 8 point buck and was hanging off of his neck when I got there. I don’t want them trying to chase something I want them trying to catch it. Track driving ability is the main trait I look for. It’s actually something my dad told me that I actually listened to lol.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 07-03-2019 07:36 PM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Team Mafia

Dalton and I are merely brother in laws as many of you know and we also happen to spend quite a bit of time together LOL

1. Dogs of today are worth more. Are they actually better? Well I don't know that answer, I think the average dog is better than 30-40 years ago but who knows, but they are worth more than the fact that inflation and the cost of living has merely skyrocketed. a $500 dog in years past is now a $2,000 dog. On the other side of that an average dog that can tree a coon is worth $2,500 IMO. I sold a 13 month old pup that was treeing a few coons for $4,000 a few weeks ago and she is now a disaster to draw in a cast.

2. I don't feel as if the older generation actually wants to see us succeed. Granted not everybody but there are times older folks tend to almost get embarrassed by us beating them rather than drawing us again. Now on the other side of the road there are many young guns that are hot headed and will literally cheat your eyeballs out to impress whomever they can but not all of us.

3. dog hunting in general is a dying sport. Our kids will probably see the end within the next 50-70 years. I hope not but its true.

4. What I expect out of pups is drive, and brains. They have to go hunting and they have to be smart enough to understand their purpose. Like Dalton said they better be running junk, doing something rather than laying at my feet, night one or night 30 it shouldn't matter.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 07-03-2019 09:43 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Time 29
Well Said! Everyone wants to post their scorecard or cast win photo and get a thousand likes and congrats.

In the show ring too. It is so common now, I have deleted Facebook.
Folks pat themselves on the back so much, their elbows must be out of socket!

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 07-03-2019 10:53 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am to old to be on this thread a high percentage of my cast win photos were in Polaroid lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:01 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roush_union76
UKC Forum Member

Not young but not old

Agree with Tyler and Dalton. They need to leave like they are late for work and the boss had that talk with them yesterday. When they open no matter what it is they best be trying to catch it. Also, I love a tree dog but can’t stand empty trees. I’ll correct for off game of any sort but they must have desire.

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:02 AM
Roush_union76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roush_union76 Click here to Send Roush_union76 a Private Message Find more posts by Roush_union76 Add Roush_union76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

I have been in the sport for about 10-12 years now and I'll throw in my opinion on hunts and hunting in general. 10 years ago I would log on this forum and there would be several hundred people on here. Now, there are a couple hundred and mostly guests. Same could be said for the local hunts 10 years ago. There would always be a few casts of both registered and nite chs. Now if you get 2 of both you have had a really successful turnout. I think several factors are attributed to this. Your only hunters showing up are the die hards now. The luke warm guys have slowly faded out.

Coon prices have really wiped out the average man. Deer leases and the deer hunting industry has sure crushed coon hunting also. Dishonest hunters and people that are just plain not fun to hunt with has also majorly affected the nite hunting world.

If the common goal was simply to see the best dog win and guys shook each others hand when their dogs did a good job more people would come.

I enjoy any level of competition small and big. And I really enjoy it when I draw a good cast of guys and dogs. I think if you don't have thick skin and a real competitive edge you will not survive in this sport. I could write a book on some of the BS I have witnessed throughout the years. Over money or a win slip. We can all make a difference to have a positive impact when we show up to a hunt. I'm thankful to the registries that allow us to compete with our dogs.

I will also say that this is truly a fun sport when things go smoothly. I hate the fact that some guys attempt to make a living chasing these dogs. It's meant to be fun and trying to pay your Bill's chasing a dog around was surely not the intent when the sport got started. I'm in no way against winning mo em but do not think it is what should drive you to show up.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:15 AM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

I guess you could say am almost a old fart ,44. Great post Bruce. You to Dalton. Dalton you are blessed to have a farther that planted the love for coonhunting in you. It takes a special breed to go out an chase a dog all night. My uncle got me hooked at a early age. Like all youngsters if it’s not enjoyable they will get bored with it an move on. I believe that young or old if the drive is not there the want to go forth will not be either. I haven’t been on the competition side of it that long. 7 years to be exact. I love it . But I really think it has been turned into a business, a way to make money. Nothing wrong with competing for money. It’s come to the point to where people have taken the true intentions out of what this sport was built on by chasing that money. To many hunts, big payouts that in return has made titles not mean much. I also think that’s why the coonhound breed in itself is hurting. It’s about what the handler can get out of it more than focusing on bettering the dog itself. There are still real coondogs out there, it’s few an far between. Young people have their hands full in the future making this sport live on. I just hope us old farts leave something to build on.

Old Post 07-04-2019 02:07 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Great post Bruce. I want to hear what the under 35 years have to say.

Old Post 07-04-2019 02:53 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

Coonhunting has changed so much from when I was a kid hunting. I grew up following my grandpa in the woods. I hunted with 60 to 70 year old men most of my life. I learned so much from them. Hounds back then were old solid coonhounds.

Back when I was a kid competition hunts were more of a family atmosphere. We had water races - treeing contest - bench show - buddy hunt or night hunt. The morning started with dog trades and breakfast or lunch. Then the events till dark. They would even auction of briskets or pies.

The caliber of dogs were more what I call old school. I seen certain trucks pull up in the parking and poeple withdraw. Because they knew they were packing a hound.

Now days I feel the caliber of dogs have evolved more for competition. I think people breed for titles instead of traits. Which I guess that's okay to look good on paper. They are breed and trained to blow out of the country to get out in front of the other dogs. Instead of hunting side to side they hunt straight foward and never look back. Wonder how many coons the blow by in the process.

The hunter has evolved also. It's crazy how the equipment we use has changed. Iam a fan of the garmin.
The old satelite antenna my grandpa use to have was something else. The old heavy box lights that made a young man walk sideways ever night I dont miss.

The hunter has evolved to with what motivates them to go to competition hunt. It's all about money now days. Which I like money to. But I still get excited about bringing home a nice trophy.

The clubs that are left. Are not as family oriented as they use to be. There is low attendance unless there is money up for grabs and sometimes that doesn't work. You dont even have to see coons anymore to win.

And this is in my area not speaking for others.

Only thing I see working to bring back the way it use to be and the percent time. Is to mesh it all together. I see UKC trying that. Hopefully it will help out with some of the changes.

I know some will disagree with me and that's fine. We live in United States of America and we all have the right to speak.

I grew up with the older generation of coonhunting. I have been doing this a long time. I started hunting when I was 6 and Iam 32 now.

It's going to take young and old generation coonhunters to make changes and evolve the sport. I just hope we all including me can make it work. Iam very passionate about this sport just as my grandpa and dad where.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY. everyone.
From Hitt Kennels

Old Post 07-04-2019 03:57 AM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Our club is blessed in that several of our regulars are young men..
Dalton 25
Tyler 23
Lane Denny 23
Cody Harmon 24
Caleb Burgman 22
Ty Anderson 27 or 8.
This doesn't count the under 18 who hunt or tag along and the several other 20 somethings that show up often. Cheyenne and these boys came up with a few of the rule change proposals that were submitted this year. They are in touch with what these young guys want in a competition hunt. Several of these young men are well know for packing nice dogs and compete at all levels.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-04-2019 04:58 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

questions for the "young guns"..........

1.) what's the topography of country like that you guys hunt in most of the time?
2.) how often can you drive to within 500-600 yards of your dogs treed way in deep?
3.) what's the average duration of what you would call a good run?
4.) do you like to hear a hound work up a track into a hot driving race or prefer it not say much on the ground but blow down the tree?
5.) do you like a dog that checks in with you if it hasn't struck a coon in say 30-40 mins. or just keep hunting until it strikes a coon somewhere?
6.) do you care if your dog runs junk or not as long as it eventually is sitting under a treed coon?

I'm a year older than Tar but I ain't an old fart! Thankfully I'm still able to put on some miles in the hills, valleys and mountains where I live. I also still strap on snowshoes and hunt hare in the winter with my beagles! I don't have any coon hounds now but my best friend still does and I can go anytime I want with him. I can tell you he's had a heck of a time in the last 10 yrs. to come up with a decent coon hound of the kind we like! Finally got a pretty decent one 2 years ago only to be diagnosed with ehrlicosis which I guess is pretty much coming to be accepted as the norm near as I can tell!

Old Post 07-04-2019 05:10 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

I am 26 years old. Today is my birthday, in fact

Coonhunting to me is my lifeblood. I couldn't separate myself from the sport for any amount of time at all. I've competently maintained some kind of presence within the sport through high school, college, and marriage (so far lol).

Here's my two cents worth as a young man within the sport...

1) I dislike money hunts of any kind or variation. Always have. Hunted quite a bit of PKC throughout high school and college. Didn't resonate with me at all.

2) The dogs I have now surpass the dogs my grandfather owned many years ago, according to my father, who is NOT a coon hunter, but hunts with me occasionally and hunted with my grandfather A LOT.

3) I prefer pleasure hunting / kill season, over competition hunting.

4) UKC titles still trump any other title in my mind (I might be biased here, but oh well)

5) I love the fellowship I find within good, solid coon clubs

6) I think that competitive coonhunting has taken a step backward within the last 10 years... at least not the direction I would like to see it go.

7) I see less good track dogs now then I did at the beginning of my coonhunting career (2006), in ALL BREEDS.

8) There are more hunts (probably too many hunts) to choose from. I've seen clubs go from holding 5-6 hunts when I started, to having full schedules of UKC/PKC Hunts each year. That might be good for professional/paid handlers or retired men/women, but not for the aspiring, young family man with a job.

9) Pup wise, I've had very few complete duds.

10) To this day, I still feel like (and probably am) the youngest guy in 75% of my casts.

What is important to me is that I have well-balanced dogs that show me coon. I enjoyed harvesting coon long before I enjoyed getting a trophy at a club or filling out a scorecard. If I can't have some fun with them during hunting season, they ain't worth keeping around

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 07-04-2019 at 05:42 AM

Old Post 07-04-2019 05:32 AM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Our club is blessed in that several of our regulars are young men..
Dalton 25
Tyler 23
Lane Denny 23
Cody Harmon 24
Caleb Burgman 22
Ty Anderson 27 or 8.
This doesn't count the under 18 who hunt or tag along and the several other 20 somethings that show up often. Cheyenne and these boys came up with a few of the rule change proposals that were submitted this year. They are in touch with what these young guys want in a competition hunt. Several of these young men are well know for packing nice dogs and compete at all levels.

You all certainly are blessed!

Old Post 07-04-2019 05:40 AM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Enjoyed your post Corey! Good to hear there are some younger folks that still
are interested in the joys of listening to a quality coon hound in the pleasure hunting format. There is whole lot more to be enjoyed in owning good night to night solid pleasure hounds then many realize. Savor it while you can!

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:02 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Re: questions for the "young guns"..........

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
1.) what's the topography of country like that you guys hunt in most of the time?
2.) how often can you drive to within 500-600 yards of your dogs treed way in deep?
3.) what's the average duration of what you would call a good run?
4.) do you like to hear a hound work up a track into a hot driving race or prefer it not say much on the ground but blow down the tree?
5.) do you like a dog that checks in with you if it hasn't struck a coon in say 30-40 mins. or just keep hunting until it strikes a coon somewhere?
6.) do you care if your dog runs junk or not as long as it eventually is sitting under a treed coon?

I'm a year older than Tar but I ain't an old fart! Thankfully I'm still able to put on some miles in the hills, valleys and mountains where I live. I also still strap on snowshoes and hunt hare in the winter with my beagles! I don't have any coon hounds now but my best friend still does and I can go anytime I want with him. I can tell you he's had a heck of a time in the last 10 yrs. to come up with a decent coon hound of the kind we like! Finally got a pretty decent one 2 years ago only to be diagnosed with ehrlicosis which I guess is pretty much coming to be accepted as the norm near as I can tell!

Dan, I Bear, hog, and coon hunt the same dogs. I walk hunt.
1- Straight up and Straight down. Anywhere between 2000’ - 4600’ feet and usually I see all those elevations at some point during a hunt.
2- maybe 2 times in my life have I been able to drive that close to a tree. But again, i usually make a 6-10 mile hunt on foot away from the truck. I absolutely hate hunting out of a truck. I will not sit on a tailgate.
3- A good run, a coon maybe 15-20 minutes once they have got him up and running if they were cold trailing. 16-20 hours on a bear or hog. Even longer spanning into the next day sometimes because it’s hard for me to keep up with the dogs in this terrain.
4- them blow down tree dogs don’t impress me, them that stay till I get there do. Be it 2 hours or 13.
5- they better stay connected with me. I’m not there to hunt dogs, I’m there to hunt the game I intend to catch where I took them to look for it. A dog that leaves the country when cut loose is useless to me.
6- track jumping is the number one thing I see in a lot of hounds today. People don’t know the difference! I get tickled at all these boys sitting on the tailgate telling me what their dogs are running when I’m standing in the middle of the race watching the coyote, deer, fox or whatever make laps around a top 2 miles from the nearest road. But hey, what do I know?

I want dogs that naturally get after stuff. I then break them from running things I don’t want them to. If they can’t be broke easily, I have no use for them. I want them hunting with me not me hunting with them. If I had to drive around and hunt out of a truck I wouldn’t call it hunting. I wasn’t taught by anyone, I decided I wanted to learn around 14 years old and started making big laps with my dogs and let them teach me. I’m 35 now and get to hunt more now than ever. My desire isn’t motivated by money. It’s just a fire that burns in my belly!!!!

Last edited by Ghost14 on 07-04-2019 at 01:16 PM

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:14 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Corey the #9 on your list sticks out in my mind and has for some time. I think it is one of the problems we have today in our dogs. I think in the old days the DUDS were obvious and their faults were unforgivable. Which meant they usually went away. They were identified as COMPLETE DUDS and no honest hunter would even want his enemy to own it.

Over the years the faults in the dogs are right beside some of the qualities your are looking for. It is hard for a lot of people to get rid of the best tree dog they ever had just because it can't track, barks constantly on trail and in the pen. They just love to see it tree. The other side of the coin. A lot of guys can't get rid of the best track dog or best hunting dog they every owned. Because it doesn't do a good job of treeing a coon and wants to stay on the ground too much. That is where a mans standards for the dogs he will own come in. Top dog men do not allow themselves to become blinded by good points blended with bad points that will always hold the dog back for being a top dog. Just to many of these partial duds fooling people and being bred.

A lot of talk about Brains. Doesn't always equate to a top hound. But does equate to a nice dog to be around. Once you see one with Brains. You can truly see a difference that you will always be looking for in the future.

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:15 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Oklahoma just passed year around coon season these young folks can now shoot somthing without fear of the man getting them. That will help.

Tar

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:29 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robgregory
UKC Forum Member

I'm so old that

that when I started coonhunting, I bought a carbide light and thought I was sh!@@#$' in high cotton. Rob Gregory

home#- 540-925-4437
cell#-757-339-3454
Home of:
"PR"High Lonesome Hannah. Nt.Ch. Hardtime Miss Kitty's Cat

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:56 PM
robgregory is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robgregory Click here to Send robgregory a Private Message Find more posts by robgregory Add robgregory to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote