UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > “Natural” vs “Man Made” Coondog
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Re: "It" factor......

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Most wouldn't recognize it if it snuck up and bit them they give up on pups full of fire or ruin them with a shocker at a young age.

I will also add that some miss the peak opportunities, pups that have every tool + some and the brains to go with it but without the handler with drive and brains to match. They had it but missed it.
I have a good group of pups right now all young under 6 months all above average even at this age I know all are going to work. Some may make top from here it will depend upon the environment they end up at and the smarts of their future owner, some may end up and be the IT. But there is this one, the youngest in the group only 10 weeks old and there is something about him. He's never ran a track and never treed a thing but just something, time will tell.
I've seen IT before, I've seen it ruined, I've seen it never be given the opportunity it deserved, I've seen what it can do in the right patience hands because he has seen IT too.
There is nothing worse than seeing it in a young pup that was started here and then contacting the owners in a few months to see how it is doing only to find out the pup hasn't left the pen. Second worse is to talk to them and they have been "working" on them with a shocker for 14 different reasons at the same time and a young age. You can do nothing but shake your head because some aren't smart enough to recognize what they have and you know another one bit the dust.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-10-2019 03:03 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

I would say there’s a lot of truth to that. Leads me back to my statement if dog could cull handlers, no doubt I would have been culled by a few. Even at 54, I enjoy sitting and gleaning from the real “dog men” that I know, who can recognize the “it” factor and bring it out.

Last edited by Creason on 07-10-2019 at 09:40 PM

Old Post 07-10-2019 05:09 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Wow, I didn’t know I could double post and repeat myself, I must have the “it” factor or that was just man made stupid.

Last edited by Creason on 07-10-2019 at 09:43 PM

Old Post 07-10-2019 05:09 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: "It" factor......

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Please share more about the "It" factor. I've been hunting hounds for a long time and still haven't learned it all, so please give some specifics. Sure others would benefit as well.

Dogs with IT do not require repetitive experiences to learn. One experience is remembered as well as the average dog does with 10 repetitive experiences.
The smarter the dog is the less the handler or owner can screw up as they don't always forgive and forget. The dog with IT has more common sense than most people. Ken Risley

Old Post 07-10-2019 07:28 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

Re: "It" factor......

quote:
Please share more about the "It" factor. I've been hunting hounds for a long time and still haven't learned it all, so please give some specifics. Sure others would benefit as well.

Sorry I am so late to respond,I had to do that 4 letter word today,WORK!

My experience with the 'it factor" IS ..Take a pup out after preparing them for a night in the woods and they just know a whole lot and fall right in there and tree real live racoon!
Everytime you take them they just blow your socks off with their god given ability and you can just see that natural talent in them come bubbling out,and you think WOW !!!and to me their is no better feeling than seeing that pup just become a racoon treeing machine!
If you have ever witnessed this,you know what I am getting at,if you haven't...I hope for your sake,someday you will,but beware,it will ruin you if you don't watch.....

I have been lucky enough to have had this happen several times,1 time I had a male pup,showed him a cage coon,me and a buddy took it out and released it to this male pup( he was 6 months old) and 2 older female pups,coon went up under the truck,we had a heck of a time,pup got bit and he got permanently pissed off at that racoon!
The next night we went hunting and I had my Slim dog and that 6 month old pup,Slim was trailing a racoon,when all of a sudden a huge dying bawl let out to my left,and he turned it over to a machine gun chop,I went to him and that pup had found a real live racoon!Slim went on and treed his racoon further in the woods and that pup was telling the world that he found 1 too.
From that night on that pup was treeing his own coon,and I could not wait till it got dark,when he was 15 months old,and he was a dandy by then,he got hit by a car and was busted up too bad,and I had to put him down!
I called him Ringo,his littermate sister is the Sara dog that is the mother of Daniel Wilson's Fred Bear (Hank) dog.

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 07-11-2019 12:49 AM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The great ones are exciting to watch even as young pups...

I hear some people say; if it ain’t broke don’t fix it...

I also hear some people say; you’ve got to feed them lots of tracks to make a dog...

I never have liked working for people with that “if it ain’t broke” mentality...IMO that saying says it all...

The other one...you have to feed a lot of tracks to make a hunting dog...i totally disagree with this mentality as well...if it is looking like I will need to feed lots of tracks I will cull pretty quick...on average to have good dogs this is how it needs to be done...

Old Post 07-11-2019 03:48 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Where all these natural......or even man made dogs y'all keep talking about?

Every time I go to a hunt I draw three other common plugs just like mine.

Old Post 07-11-2019 04:31 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
The other one...you have to feed a lot of tracks to make a hunting dog...i totally disagree with this mentality as well...if it is looking like I will need to feed lots of tracks I will cull pretty quick...on average to have good dogs this is how it needs to be done...

I think the point here Reuben is that even those born naturals keep getting better the more they get hunted. Just like a natural born human athlete "Hones" their inherited abilities as a player. My experience with hounds is the good ones keep getting better with age up to about 5-6 years old. They begin to level off at about 5 and then about 8 you begin to see a slow decline, mostly physical until about 10 then the mental stuff begins to show on many older hounds as well. The really good ones always die to soon!!

Old Post 07-11-2019 11:37 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I think the point here Reuben is that even those born naturals keep getting better the more they get hunted. Just like a natural born human athlete "Hones" their inherited abilities as a player. My experience with hounds is the good ones keep getting better with age up to about 5-6 years old. They begin to level off at about 5 and then about 8 you begin to see a slow decline, mostly physical until about 10 then the mental stuff begins to show on many older hounds as well. The really good ones always die to soon!!

Dan, I reckon I should have explained myself...you are 100 percent right in what you are saying...

I was looking at it from another angle...if the pup doesn’t meet my requirements the first couple of times in the woods I will not waste much time in that pup...once I decide he is worth keeping then it is time I to feed them tracks...sometimes there has to be exceptions to the rules out of necessity but it is not forgotten...the dog stands a good chance of replacement at some time and for sure won’t be bred...

Feeding tracks to a pup I am talking about will make improvements in said pup be chances are he will never be the dog I will be happy with or even want to keep...

Old Post 07-11-2019 05:46 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I haven’t read all of the replies on this thread but I’ll give my take on natural ability vs man made.

To me natural ability is when you take a young hound to the woods and on their second or third trip to the woods they strike on the leash and none of the old dogs do. You turn loose and the pup runs with the older dogs and trees in front of them.
Natural ability is when you have a two year old dog that you’ve never messed with and the second time you take it to the woods it opens on track and tries to tree some. None of that can be taught no matter how hard you try.

Man made to me is when you have to keep working a dog with caged coon to get it to bark at one or have to keep turning coins loose for it before it ever wants to try and run and tree one.

They are all man made to a certain degree because if WE don’t do our part and give them the ability to use their given talents they will never show what they are capable of doing.

I’ll take one with natural ability over anything any day of the week.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-11-2019 06:06 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Hobo...you said it exactly how I see it...in the hog hunting world I can sometimes make an exception for a decent dog but as I said earlier it will get replaced... I believe a spot in my yard is too valuable for that space to be taken by a dog that doesn’t meet my standards...

Old Post 07-11-2019 08:25 PM
Creason
UKC Forum Member

So how many potentials do we work our way through before we find Mrs. or Mr. Natural?

Old Post 07-11-2019 08:51 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

You have to weed through all of the BS people write and find the person that tends to always have the naturals. Don't believe what you read on the internet or in some fancy ad.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-11-2019 10:16 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
You have to weed through all of the BS people write and find the person that tends to always have the naturals. Don't believe what you read on the internet or in some fancy ad.

There are naturals that come along that make top shelf coondogs those are very few and far between! Just because one goes to running around barking after the other dogs and treeing on every tree the others do don’t mean it’s a natural. I can dribble and hit a free throw once in a while but it don’t mean I am a natural basketball player.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2019 10:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I spent a few to many years looking for the "naturals" all the time and came to the conclusion that you'll go through a lot of dogs and some of the ones you'll discard into someone else's hands, end up making decent hounds in the hands of a bit more patient individual.

I'm not going to keep worthless dogs but if I've got hounds I can go to the woods with that produce game and are enjoyable at home as well as in the woods I'll keep them. Some people enjoy turning over hounds all the time in that constant search for a better one. I don't. If the special ones were plentiful they wouldn't be special.

Old Post 07-11-2019 11:58 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
There are naturals that come along that make top shelf coondogs those are very few and far between! Just because one goes to running around barking after the other dogs and treeing on every tree the others do don’t mean it’s a natural. I can dribble and hit a free throw once in a while but it don’t mean I am a natural basketball player.

Tar

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You still don't get it!

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-12-2019 12:01 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You still don't get it!

Well I am not to old or set in my ways to learn I love to learn. Teach me !

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2019 12:11 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

It takes time to develop a great bloodline line but when it is set you can have top shelf pups in every litter and a high percentage of pups will make good dogs...but one must breed the very best from within the family...

Once we have three or four generations of these dogs that originally came from good dogs then you won’t be a nay sayer...

When a breeder is chasing every bloodline and breeding to it thinking he is improving his dogs and that breeder more than likely will be in the nay sayers group...

Old Post 07-12-2019 01:44 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
It takes time to develop a great bloodline line but when it is set you can have top shelf pups in every litter and a high percentage of pups will make good dogs...but one must breed the very best from within the family...

Once we have three or four generations of these dogs that originally came from good dogs then you won’t be a nay sayer...

When a breeder is chasing every bloodline and breeding to it thinking he is improving his dogs and that breeder more than likely will be in the nay sayers group...

Ruben in the coon hound world anybody that’s says you breed coondog to coondog and get coondogs is wrong there is no proven cross I don’t care how many generations you got behind them. That natural freak of nature is usually once in a breeders lifetime coonhounds are a complex animal and it takes all traits stacked in the right direction.

I have hog hunted most cast till they catch scent usually the hogs are not that far away and when jumped they run on sight to catch if it’s still like it was when I grew up where you are it did not take much of a talented dog to catch hogs they were thick. I got a freind that hog hunts down there I went to school with we hog hunted together he lives in Manvel tx his name is Larry Kettler.

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2019 01:58 AM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

There you have IT.. The GREAT TAR has spoken.....

The End

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-12-2019 02:15 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
There you have IT.. The GREAT TAR has spoken.....

The End

Well I gave you the chance to tell me. I really expected you to tell me I was wrong this ain’t no fun !!

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2019 02:21 AM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Well I gave you the chance to tell me. I really expected you to tell me I was wrong this ain’t no fun !!

Tar

No one can tell you anything. You KNOW it ALL...

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-12-2019 02:27 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
No one can tell you anything. You KNOW it ALL...

Put your spin on it I am just waiting on dark. My dogs have several generations of night hunt titles to back up what I preach. Let er rip explain it instead of knocking !

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2019 02:31 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Well Yatkintar...the only difference in a great hog dog is the hog dog does not need to be proven as a tree dog...they cast out quick and strike a track as quickly as any coondog would a coon track and drift the track to find the hot end quickly...sometimes in the real thick briars or cut overs...the hogs like the thickest woods to run in and sometimes will get in a 5 or ten acre briar patch that not even a 4 wheeler can go through...and the hog can run in front of the dogs for many hours...anywhere from 4 to 8 hrs or more...smart hogs will run through some shoats and even a herd of cows... hogdogs are like coondogs...there are many hog dogs that I wouldn’t feed just as I am sure there are many coon dogs you wouldn’t feed...

Old Post 07-12-2019 03:12 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Well Yatkintar...the only difference in a great hog dog is the hog dog does not need to be proven as a tree dog...they cast out quick and strike a track as quickly as any coondog would a coon track and drift the track to find the hot end quickly...sometimes in the real thick briars or cut overs...the hogs like the thickest woods to run in and sometimes will get in a 5 or ten acre briar patch that not even a 4 wheeler can go through...and the hog can run in front of the dogs for many hours...anywhere from 4 to 8 hrs or more...smart hogs will run through some shoats and even a herd of cows... hogdogs are like coondogs...there are many hog dogs that I wouldn’t feed just as I am sure there are many coon dogs you wouldn’t feed...

Reuben that was a good response and I learned from it and you are very correct except for when down home you get in those palmetto bushes that look like a big fan and you hear hogs and smell hogs and they are running all around you and you can’t see them make man climb a tree lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2019 05:00 AM