UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > “Natural” vs “Man Made” Coondog
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
How would one go about making one bark, I’ve shut a few up in my time but never been able to make one bark

Ameture lol.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-03-2019 07:15 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: I had the honor--

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
of meeting Lou Holtz when he was coaching the MN Gophers and he said

"You can Coach someone with natural talent, but you can't teach it."

I agree...

As a coach or handler we have to learn to read the player or the dog...and we coach according to what we believe is best at that moment and also for the overall playing time for the player and hunting time for the dog...want to and desire goes a long ways for all involved including the coach...there is no doubt Joe Gibbs is a great coach...

Some have said practice makes perfect...other say perfect practice makes perfect...

I remember years ago when the Chicago Bears were having a bad season and before the had their winning streak...I was flipping through the channels and they were playing another team and they were losing by quite a bit and there was about 2 minutes left in the game...no way the Bears could win...but I saw something I will never forget...That was the first time I saw him...Walter Payton was running back and he was carrying the ball...he was giving all he had on each play...he was playing like he was in the Super Bowl and behind 2 points and he as fighting to get in good field goal range or better yet score a touchdown...IMO he was one of the greatest football players of all time...and I also believe he was one of the greatest human beings that lived...I say this because he had a liver disease and needed a liver...if he didn’t get one soon he surely would die soon...he was on the waiting list to get one...the interviewer on the TV said...Walter, you are famous...have plenty of money...you can get a liver transplant now...you can go to the font of the line...with tears in his eye he replied...everyone else on the waiting list is just as important as I am... I will wait my turn...a few months later he passed away...

Natural born ability is the was to go...natural born enthusiasm and desire goes hand in hand...a great coach sees it and takes it to a higher level...the coach has the same natural abilities for coaching...

Old Post 07-03-2019 08:03 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: I had the honor--

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
of meeting Lou Holtz when he was coaching the MN Gophers and he said

"You can Coach someone with natural talent, but you can't teach it."

I agree...

As a coach or handler we have to learn to read the player or the dog...and we coach according to what we believe is best at that moment and also for the overall playing time for the player and hunting time for the dog...want to and desire goes a long ways for all involved including the coach...there is no doubt Joe Gibbs is a great coach...

Some have said practice makes perfect...other say perfect practice makes perfect...

I remember years ago when the Chicago Bears were having a bad season and before the had their winning streak...I was flipping through the channels and they were playing another team and they were losing by quite a bit and there was about 2 minutes left in the game...no way the Bears could win...but I saw something I will never forget...That was the first time I saw him...Walter Payton was running back and he was carrying the ball...he was giving all he had on each play...he was playing like he was in the Super Bowl and behind 2 points and he as fighting to get in good field goal range or better yet score a touchdown...IMO he was one of the greatest football players of all time...and I also believe he was one of the greatest human beings that lived...I say this because he had a liver disease and needed a liver...if he didn’t get one soon he surely would die soon...he was on the waiting list to get one...the interviewer on the TV said...Walter, you are famous...have plenty of money...you can get a liver transplant now...you can go to the font of the line...with tears in his eye he replied...everyone else on the waiting list is just as important as I am... I will wait my turn...a few months later he passed away...

Natural born ability is the was to go...natural born enthusiasm and desire goes hand in hand...a great coach sees it and takes it to a higher level...the coach has the same natural abilities for coaching...

Old Post 07-03-2019 08:03 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Anybody that don’t know the difference in a good honest natural coon treeing dog and a man made dog ain’t been out much.

Tar

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:05 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

with you Tar! or those folks just hasn't walked behind a natural yet ! they just thank they have. walk behind one you will realize how its suppose to be done.

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:46 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SEMO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Let me refrase that they teach them to do things that are not natural traits. Like bumping them past coons with the E collar so they only get the deep ones. Teaching to rattle non stop never shutting up to go get that deep coon. Cmon Cory you know what I am talken bout lol.

Tar

How do you teach one to rattle non stop, I can stop or slow it down if he naturally does it but if hes a last strike dog I've never figured how to
make him bark non stop.

The closest I ever saw was Ole Elvis Attack doing his tricks I believe he would speak, shake hands and play dead.

Please tell me how you teach one to Babble?

Thanks

Old Post 07-06-2019 03:55 AM
SEMO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SEMO Click here to Send SEMO a Private Message Click Here to Email SEMO Find more posts by SEMO Add SEMO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SEMO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Let me refrase that they teach them to do things that are not natural traits. Like bumping them past coons with the E collar so they only get the deep ones. Teaching to rattle non stop never shutting up to go get that deep coon. Cmon Cory you know what I am talken bout lol.

Tar

How do you teach one to rattle non stop, I can stop or slow it down if he naturally does it but if hes a last strike dog I've never figured how to
make him bark non stop.

The closest I ever saw was Ole Elvis Attack doing his tricks I believe he would speak, shake hands and play dead.

Thanks

Old Post 07-06-2019 03:55 AM
SEMO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SEMO Click here to Send SEMO a Private Message Click Here to Email SEMO Find more posts by SEMO Add SEMO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SEMO
make him bark non stop.

Thanks

There are enough of them that do it no one else needs to try and teach.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-06-2019 04:09 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

There's something else that the great ones have besides talent and that is guts and grit! Seen a few very talented hounds that lacked in the guts and grit dept. get showed up by hounds that had the extra fire it took to finish the job.

Old Post 07-06-2019 05:30 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
make him bark non stop.

Thanks

Ole hoss said he made um shut up ! Well then just do the opposite! Hold um back pat their sides out with the genetics we got today plus give them the go go juice and vvvvvvvwalah you got a babbler.

Tar

Old Post 07-06-2019 07:46 AM
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

quote:
make him bark non stop.

Thanks

I can make em babble I can make em silent I can also make a dog that’s getting ran off of trees mean as a snake. You just have to get creative. The only thing I don’t like to do is make a covering type dog a loaner all you’ll end up with is a jealous tree leaving POS.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 07-07-2019 03:27 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
A man made dog has to be smart to be trainable. They also have to be eager to please their master. A lot of those naturals are crazy and won't pay a bit of attention to their handler. A lot of those man made dogs are not counterfeits. An intelligent, eager to please, trainable dog in the right hands can be molded into a dog that is hard to beat.
back in the 80s i had a man made coon treeing machine ,fur was at a all time high ,hounds even pups were selling for more than a 15 year old kid could afford . so i used the only dog that i had to work with at the time , a full blooded border collie , put 54 hides in the freezer with him his first season in 2 weeks , ralph hated coon and was eager to please his master , it was a job skinning and carrying the fur he put up ,

Old Post 07-08-2019 01:34 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dogs today are one dimensional ( man made ) excel at their kind of coon. Back in the day dogs took them as they came to them not culling tracks if the coons were not down they treed them layup those traits have been bred out.

Tar

Old Post 07-08-2019 02:50 PM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Dogs today are one dimensional ( man made ) excel at their kind of coon. Back in the day dogs took them as they came to them not culling tracks if the coons were not down they treed them layup those traits have been bred out.

Tar

Tar , I know it’s a personal preference. You used to hear the phrase meat dog an competition dog. The old folks would use that phrase quite often. They didn’t like the competition kind. We used to walk hunt our dogs . Cast them an they would hunt out 5 to 6 hundred yards an make a circle an come back. Go the other direction an do the same thing. They didn’t strick nothing we would walk on. Dogs hunted with you . Kinda got away from that. Now we want to cast them , sit on tailgate an let them go as far as need be. Again, it’s all in what a man wants. Kinda believe now a dog learns to just run until it finds a easy coon to tree. We have took away the things that make a dog.

Old Post 07-08-2019 03:49 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I still send mine from the tailgate but they don’t cull their tracks they get treed I ain’t in no hurry to get to them. I think people that hurry to trees cause a dog to commit on trees they normally wouldn’t.

But a dog does have to hustle here to strike a coon sometimes.

Tar

Old Post 07-08-2019 05:08 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
make him bark non stop.

Thanks

It is easy. I have seen it in both beagles and coon hounds. Hunt them as young puppies with their mother. Make sure they can't keep up with her. Not only will they bark, they will learn to run dogs. By that I mean literally track the other dogs.

I have known people who actually did the above to achieve a first strike dog. They actually did it over many generations.

PS I in no way condone that behavior.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-08-2019 07:46 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Is it any wonder the gene pools get watered down with junk? No true hound man or woman would knowingly breed junk like that. No matter what type of hunting dog you can think of, other than possibly bear or hog dogs, before it receives any degree period ought to have to prove it can satisfactorily produce game in the WILD SOLO!

Actually it might not be a bad idea if they had to prove that before they could be entered into competition hunts where points towards a degree are awarded.

Old Post 07-09-2019 02:41 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

I like a pup to know a lot when they start,you can tell rite from the start if they have" it ".... or not.

Ray Charles can see the "it factor",them are the ones I am lookin for...and I have never seen a dumb one have the "it ".

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 07-10-2019 12:34 AM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

"It" factor......

Please share more about the "It" factor. I've been hunting hounds for a long time and still haven't learned it all, so please give some specifics. Sure others would benefit as well.

Old Post 07-10-2019 02:44 AM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

The short answer is the "it factor" is intelligence or coon sense.

Old Post 07-10-2019 03:22 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Guess my short answer would be it's all in the inheritance.........of which intelligence plays an important roll.

Old Post 07-10-2019 03:32 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: "It" factor......

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Please share more about the "It" factor. I've been hunting hounds for a long time and still haven't learned it all, so please give some specifics. Sure others would benefit as well.

Most wouldn't recognize it if it snuck up and bit them they give up on pups full of fire or ruin them with a shocker at a young age.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:19 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: "It" factor......

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Most wouldn't recognize it if it snuck up and bit them they give up on pups full of fire or ruin them with a shocker at a young age.

Thank you. In a day and age where instant gratification is demanded more and more it can be easily forgotten that our hounds are not programmable machines............and thankfully so! Else the hope and mystique of what the next one will be would be removed completely!

Old Post 07-10-2019 07:25 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I had a dog with "coon sense" once. When you turned him loose he went looking for a coon. He seemed to just know where they were. Up North in thick coon and patch woods, he would just go from one tree to the next and tree every coon in the woods. My buddies called him the Census Taker. I just called him Mongo Red.

Old Post 07-10-2019 01:25 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

They seem to know where the food source is , where the closest water is and how the Coons are moving and ECT.ect.even in unfamiliar territory....... THEY JUST KNOW!!! And these kind of dogs are always extremely accurate!!

Old Post 07-10-2019 02:42 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote