UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Venomous snakes
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mike Carder

Thanks for the pictures and replies to my questions. I do not like snakes but know a lot about them. Massasauga like swampy bottom areas and I figured that you were around river/s or swampy land. Massasaugas are not aggressive but will bite if stepped on. Mike be very careful in that area when working as they are very hard to see and wear snake proof boots. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2016 03:28 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

Since everybody else is playing show and tell here is a Timber Rattler a young guy that hunts with me took a picture of out the car window a couple weeks ago. This is at the Beams Rocks parking area at Linn Run state park in sw. Pa. About 15 min from my house in Ligonier Pa.

Old Post 06-12-2016 06:00 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Re: Snakes

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
Around here we have a lot of copperhead snakes but recently been hearing more about rattlers. Never seen one around here then today of all days at work poof they show up.

That is a diamondback aint it.

Old Post 06-12-2016 06:38 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Snakes

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
That is a diamondback aint it.

Nah, it's a massasauga.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 06-12-2016 07:17 PM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I've seen only one poisonous snake this year. we've had a lot of rain and when it's wet I almost never see them. I don't know what becomes of them. When it dries out I begin to see them again. And that's what I'm waiting for. I hunt them as my dogs are doing their thing. A frog gig and a 12 ga work very well. I haven't seen a rattler in 3 or 4 years.

Old Post 06-12-2016 07:33 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Snakes

quote:
Originally posted by ringtail
Nah, it's a massasauga.
Whatever it is. If Id saw it. It'd now be headless

Old Post 06-12-2016 08:06 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hayseedlady
Just rattlesnakes in this area, it does get too cold for other snakes. I've never seen any while out in the timber checking cattle or picking berries. Just in case I always take the 10/22, my shadow dog (Vizsla/Lab), the 2 blue tick gyps & wear a long skirt. Snakes will strike the fluttering hem, not me.

[img]http://s1243.photobucket.com/share/links?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs1243.photobucket. com%2Fuser%2FElayne_L_Kemery%2Fmedia%2FMobile%2520
Uploads%2FFB_IMG_1461250171283_zpsaktvw0kd.jpg.html%3Fsort%3D3%26o%3D1[/img]

I don't know about the rest of you but, I would rather be snake bit than be seen coon hunting in a long fluttering skirt.

Old Post 06-12-2016 09:17 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mike ghorley

Mike take a close up look and you can see that snake is not a diamondback! See the broken spots no Chevron's or diamonds on that snake. Definitely a massasauga rattlesnake.

Old Post 06-12-2016 10:06 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

Timber Rattler

NITECH CH 'PR' MILL CREEK BO-R.I.P.
NITECH CH 'PR' HOUSE'S SCREAMIN NELL

Old Post 06-22-2016 11:25 PM
David Richardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Richardson Click here to Send David Richardson a Private Message Find more posts by David Richardson Add David Richardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Is that thing not dead? Dang! Looks like a cobra bout to strike or something.

Old Post 06-22-2016 11:55 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mike ghorley

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Mike take a close up look and you can see that snake is not a diamondback! See the broken spots no Chevron's or diamonds on that snake. Definitely a massasauga rattlesnake.
Ive never heard of such. Guess we dont have them. Id still kill it if I saw it.

Old Post 06-22-2016 11:57 PM
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

He is very much alive. He was on my inlaws back porch.

NITECH CH 'PR' MILL CREEK BO-R.I.P.
NITECH CH 'PR' HOUSE'S SCREAMIN NELL

Old Post 06-23-2016 12:39 AM
David Richardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Richardson Click here to Send David Richardson a Private Message Find more posts by David Richardson Add David Richardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

They are ALL poisonous and .... ALL COBRAS !!!!!!!!

You ever seen Shaggy and Scooby Doo run when they see a monster ??!!
well.......

Old Post 07-08-2016 08:35 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
They are ALL poisonous and .... ALL COBRAS !!!!!!!!

You ever seen Shaggy and Scooby Doo run when they see a monster ??!!
well.......

I got a buddy that says there are 2 kinds of snakes. Chicken snakes and rattle snakes, if it doesn't have a chicken in its mouth then its a rattle snake. We kill rattle snakes. lol

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-08-2016 09:09 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

It's getting out of hand around here I killed 2 copperhead in the yard last night and another while mowing today!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-01-2016 11:01 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAT Mafia
UKC Forum Member

I see many cotton mouths out hunting and the one copperhead a year I see is always in my yard. The last one was as big around as a 12oz can.

Old Post 08-01-2016 11:21 PM
RAT Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RAT Mafia Click here to Send RAT Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email RAT Mafia Find more posts by RAT Mafia Add RAT Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Snakes

That's why i prefer to live up north. It might get 20 below, but i don't have to worry about them in my yard or on my deck. Killed several as a kid/young adult, but with all the wild turkeys/eagles we have now, there don't seem to be near as many rattlesnakes as we used to. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 08-02-2016 03:56 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

It's been pretty dry here for a while now. I've seen 16 moccasins and 1 copper head. I've found that the population can be knocked down if you take a little time each time you're out to look for them. The copper heads are the biggest problem. There is no way to look for them systematically. They can be any and every where but it's only by chance that you see them. I wish there was some kind of bait to use for them.

Old Post 08-02-2016 05:32 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

walking in the woods bare feet is a good way to bait them. LOL

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 08-02-2016 06:02 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I have been lucky this year as I have not had a dog bitten. Through the years, I have lost several hounds and a couple of cow dogs to rattlers. I have wised up through the years as I tend to avoid country with lots of prickly pear in it in the summer months. The pear is snake habitat and if you will hunt ranches where the pear has been controlled, less snakes. Prickly pear is what some greenhorn would call cactus, if that is any help. I also vaccinate my dogs with the rattlesnake vaccine which lessens the swelling and therefore, increasing rate of survival.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 08-02-2016 10:01 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DylanHovey
UKC Forum Member

I've walked probably a couple hundred miles across these swamps in North Alabama. We have very few poisonous snakes here. I've seen 1 cottonmouth and 1 copperhead while coon hunting in 10 years. I did get around scottsboro and kill a 52" canebrake early one morning but I was not coon hunting. Have seen a pile of water snakes that people like to call cottonmouths..

Old Post 08-02-2016 11:52 PM
DylanHovey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DylanHovey Click here to Send DylanHovey a Private Message Click Here to Email DylanHovey Find more posts by DylanHovey Add DylanHovey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
walking in the woods bare feet is a good way to bait them. LOL

Really, if you have 4 feet.

Old Post 08-02-2016 11:52 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
It's getting out of hand around here I killed 2 copperhead in the yard last night and another while mowing today!

Didn't go coon hunting tonight so went snake hunting around the yard killed 2 more that's 5 copperheads since Sunday evening all in less than an acre where it's mowed! Does anyone have a good snake dog for sale or some black snakes.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-03-2016 04:46 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
Really, if you have 4 feet.

In reality, I live in a region of the country that has many bad things roaming the woods. Every poisonous snake in North America thrives here. Sure, we see and deal with many during a years time, but the chances of you getting bitten are slim, but I wouldn't trust fate and would take the preventive measures necessary like boots and chaps that are snake proof. Your four footed friend, if he/she has some age on them is less likely to be bitten than you are. Most hounds that are struck in my area are the young curious ones that want to play with the snake. They aren't likely to be real friendly. Even then, most hounds will survive an encounter with most snakes here, however my experience shows me that an eastern diamondback will kill with most bites. That's a nasty snake that commands very much respect and is better left alone. Thankfully, they would rather leave the area than encounter a man, and will do so if you allow it. Yes I know, I will try to take them out if I am armed properly, but if not, they slither away.

Seems we all worry about snakes getting us or our dogs, but it really is not the snake that should be of most concern here in this area. There is another predator here that most dogs will not survive an encounter with, and if they do, you have one very very lucky dog. Its the American Alligator. For some reason a dog treeing can be like a magnate for them. Lucky for us as humans, if they are in the wild and not fed, they will run for water on site, and most times long before you even know they are around. You all have heard the stories of gator attacks, and they are terrible, but fact is you probably have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than eaten by a gator. Your hound is another story. Down here in southeast GA., I'd be more concerned over gators than snakes.

PS: gators eat snakes too. lol. The bad for me out ways the good. They are trespassers when they get into my woods and creeks, and that makes me the hunter. LOL

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 08-03-2016 12:44 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Thank God I don't have to deal with gators. I do remember cat hunting about 20 years ago near Dilley, TX (about half way between San Antonio and Laredo). We drove about 10 miles before we turned the dogs loose and in that stretch, killed 7 rattlesnakes. We started to turn around and go home with the snakes really crawling but decided to hunt anyway. We hunted most all night and killed six more before getting back home.
The temperatures have been at or in excess of 100 degrees for over three weeks and when it gets this hot, snakes tend to be less active. In other words, they find a cool spot and stay there. For this reason, spring and fall are the worse seasons of the year to get a dog bitten.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 08-03-2016 02:33 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote