UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Did you ever think
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Did you ever think

What it would have been like 50 years ago when we had so much ground to hunt , if we had had all the tracking units and led lights we have today. My Dad and Uncle wouldn't believe how easy it is to know where the dogs are and how easy it is to get them back. There were several dogs that we got rid of back then because we couldn't find them after we turned them loose. When you did find them they were treed but it might be the next day and it might be 3 miles away.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-09-2019 06:43 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

It sure would have been nice! I am just glad that we have it now, can't imagine hunting without my Garmin. Dave

Old Post 07-09-2019 07:10 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Those Garmins are are good for older folks with bad ears like last night I wouldn’t have known which side of the creek they were on and it was deep and strait down. And would not have known we could have driven within 150 yards of the tree like We did but this morning I retraced my exzact steps but due to the waist high grass no glasses.

Tar

Old Post 07-09-2019 07:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

After my hunt last night I TEXTED Donald to tell him about my pup treeing another coon. He texted back, said his pup treed two. I had just left the woods and driving home, he calls me. We talk about the other problems we having with these pups. Mine aint hunting out far enough, and we compared him to one i trained back in the 80's. But back in the 80's I didn't have a Garmin, so I really didn't know what he was doing. He might have been sitting in the weeds just off the road. Aint noway in the 80's we would have been taking at 11:00 on a phone comparing our hunts. Those two tools have made hunting so much easier.

Old Post 07-09-2019 10:25 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by BigContry
After my hunt last night I TEXTED Donald to tell him about my pup treeing another coon. He texted back, said his pup treed two. I had just left the woods and driving home, he calls me. We talk about the other problems we having with these pups. Mine aint hunting out far enough, and we compared him to one i trained back in the 80's. But back in the 80's I didn't have a Garmin, so I really didn't know what he was doing. He might have been sitting in the weeds just off the road. Aint noway in the 80's we would have been taking at 11:00 on a phone comparing our hunts. Those two tools have made hunting so much easier.

And do you think that as a result many dogs are ruined by hunters knowing where they are at all the time, an easy button handy instead of the patience of sitting on a tailgate waiting? The tools of hunting make it easier to find & fix no one wants to go back to the old days but keep in mind also easier to screw up.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:34 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Sure, I want to go back. Carbide, 7 cell Texas flash light. Staying up all night looking for a dog, going to work the next day. However, I would love to have the timber we had back in the day.

Old Post 07-10-2019 11:45 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
And do you think that as a result many dogs are ruined by hunters knowing where they are at all the time, an easy button handy instead of the patience of sitting on a tailgate waiting? The tools of hunting make it easier to find & fix no one wants to go back to the old days but keep in mind also easier to screw up.

With out a doubt it's easier to mess one up. I would like to think, I'm able to control myself when I'm aggravated with one, but sometimes my dark side just comes out. I'm a lot better than I use to be, I have a different out looks on my dogs these days. The only person that needs to be happy with my dogs, is me. Oh but the late work nights we had back when tracking collars weren't around.

Old Post 07-10-2019 02:05 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

But think about how much time was wasted on dogs that were me tooers and just junk that you couldn't see what was going on with the beep beeps. You can now watch them do it on the garmin. Or dogs that just fiddle around at 150 yards and you can see that now too where you wouldn't of known that back in the day.

Old Post 07-10-2019 02:38 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

The number one thing I have learned with a Garmin is that dogs spend more time in a small area than I would have ever believed. Not talking about dogs that won't hunt but dogs that have a pretty good nose and seem to just get a little scent and they are trying to figure it out. Garmin doesn't lie about it.

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:02 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

If the oil companies knew how much gas is saved they would be trying to ban them!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:22 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

My dad has always said that the beep beep collars saved a lot of dogs...

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:43 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Don't know about the rest of you but I hunted a long time before we had any beep beep's. I love this new technology.

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:46 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Don't know about the rest of you but I hunted a long time before we had any beep beep's. I love this new technology.

We were driving around in circles listening and leaving dogs till morning sometimes. Beep-beeps cost $ and gas was cheap.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:47 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tom you hit on a good point. Back in the 70's when a dog that had that something special came along. Most of the time I lost it. They just got out of pocket and were never heard of again. We hunted vast areas and in one spot it was 17 miles between any kind of roads and it was all walking.
We mostly walk hunted and our dogs generally hunted around us. Then we would get one that ranged out too far and it was impossible to keep up with him/her or figure out where it went. We would go back day after day and search and hunt the area the next night thinking he would hear the dogs and come to us. Sometimes it worked and sometimes we never saw the dog again. As I write this, my heart still hurts over a little female I had that did her thing too deep and never was found. Raised her from a puppy. Was tickled with what she was doing. Until she did it too far away from me.

Old Post 07-10-2019 04:57 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

I liked it until last night when mine booooooed in one spot for 30 minutes until the screen looked like a plate of spaghetti !!

Tar

Old Post 07-10-2019 05:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I liked it until last night when mine booooooed in one spot for 30 minutes until the screen looked like a plate of spaghetti !!

Tar

Well when that happens to me I remind myself it's not the Garmins fault.

Old Post 07-10-2019 05:18 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tom you hit on a good point. Back in the 70's when a dog that had that something special came along. Most of the time I lost it. They just got out of pocket and were never heard of again. We hunted vast areas and in one spot it was 17 miles between any kind of roads and it was all walking.
We mostly walk hunted and our dogs generally hunted around us. Then we would get one that ranged out too far and it was impossible to keep up with him/her or figure out where it went. We would go back day after day and search and hunt the area the next night thinking he would hear the dogs and come to us. Sometimes it worked and sometimes we never saw the dog again. As I write this, my heart still hurts over a little female I had that did her thing too deep and never was found. Raised her from a puppy. Was tickled with what she was doing. Until she did it too far away from me.

Bruce I would sure like to have some of those dogs that just went too wide back today. Like you say they usually didn't last long either from just completely loosing them or just getting tired of never being able to bring them home so we let someone else have them.

Old Post 07-10-2019 05:21 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Well when that happens to me I remind myself it's not the Garmins fault.

My pressure finally got up went and scattered their chickens then took a long walk lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-10-2019 05:35 PM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

One of the best I ever followed was lost at age 5 and never seen again back in the 70's. Hard, wide, all night hunter that would stay treed till the sun came up and then would find his way back to where you cut him loose. Another lost trait, (homing instinct). One thing for sure, you didn't see very many over weight people coon hunting back then, at least ones with good coon dogs, LOL! I stayed in top shape running after those ole cooners. Now, just look at the Garmin, drive as close as you can and in most cases, take the ATV/UTV to the tree. Yep, things have changed a whole bunch! If your hunting buddy's dog is split, just use the cell phone to reconnect in stead of wandering around hollering half the night. Only thing I miss about those old days are my youth, land to hunt and the big local hunts we always had. If you would take away all of our modern day gadgets, I'd say you'd have a lot more un hunted land to hunt and a whole lot less coon hunters, jmo.

Old Post 07-10-2019 08:44 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Sounds like the 'blue blood' in your dogs was showing up in them last night. Just kick azz & tell them to get out of the 'potatoe patch'!!! Done it a few times, but not many anymore, since blue dogs is all I hunt. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 07-10-2019 09:37 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Ron Moore

Would agree with you about not having homing instinct anymore. That is nice with the Garmins of today. Laid the coat out several times in last 60 years & dogs always could find it. Had a young dog once that would pick coon up & run off with it if you wasn't careful. One night he got away with one & was on my coat the next morning with 6" of fresh snow on his back. Never had near as much trouble taking him home after that!!! Take care, Ron.

Old Post 07-10-2019 09:44 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ron Moore

quote:
Originally posted by Rolin Blues
Would agree with you about not having homing instinct anymore. That is nice with the Garmins of today. Laid the coat out several times in last 60 years & dogs always could find it. Had a young dog once that would pick coon up & run off with it if you wasn't careful. One night he got away with one & was on my coat the next morning with 6" of fresh snow on his back. Never had near as much trouble taking him home after that!!! Take care, Ron.

Yes Sir! The old coat held many of them back in the day. I can't remember the last time I had to leave one in the woods, which is a good thing, .

Old Post 07-10-2019 10:26 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

My dad always told people when we got our 1st beep beep that it turned those 3 a.m. mornings into midnight.. haha cutting edge...
I think a fair amount of those dogs my grandfather talked about leaving out and never getting back were stolen and relocated. More hunters back then and was pretty easy for the right theiving dog jockey to hear a good tree dog that had been left out.

Old Post 07-10-2019 11:26 PM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote