UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Young People, Talk to Us!!
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
robgregory
UKC Forum Member

I'm so old that

that when I started coonhunting, I bought a carbide light and thought I was sh!@@#$' in high cotton. Rob Gregory

home#- 540-925-4437
cell#-757-339-3454
Home of:
"PR"High Lonesome Hannah. Nt.Ch. Hardtime Miss Kitty's Cat

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:56 PM
robgregory is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robgregory Click here to Send robgregory a Private Message Find more posts by robgregory Add robgregory to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Braddo28
UKC Forum Member

I'm 19 I just enjoy hunting with dogs and it gets dark early in the fall so coonhuntings a no brainier. I barely go to completion hunts but I like seeing who's got the better dogs and the comradery. Not a fan of the registering system, I wanted to hunt my dog but hes got alot of unpapered ancestors, I think I got him registered correctly but I had to register him as a mutt even tho he's purebred and no one really knew how to help me register a dog with unpapered ancestors so it sucked to do lol. I've only had/got one dog and he isn't perfect but I like him alot and I think u just gotta be realistic with expectations. What I like in a dog is medium/close Hunter who comes back if it hasn't struck within a few hundred yrds. I hate deep hunters cause not only is permission a problem but I like hunting coons and not trying to hunt down my dog, I also hate dogs that slick alot and are just knotheaded, that's about all I really don't like in a dog

Old Post 07-04-2019 02:20 PM
Braddo28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Braddo28 Click here to Send Braddo28 a Private Message Click Here to Email Braddo28 Find more posts by Braddo28 Add Braddo28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

I’m 38 , been coon hunting since I was 13 off n on. I have go to competition hunts with my friend n I enjoy them but it is not my thing. I hunt from October till about June most of the time. A little in the summer but mostly enjoy hunting when it’s cold/ harvest season. There something about a cold crisp frosty night n listening to my hounds strike a cold track , warm it up n put it up that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up . Having to worry about competing with 3 other guys during all that is what ruins it for me. I hunt flat land n patches n don’t like a wide hunting dog for the amount of roads n houses n city folk that don’t understand. I only hunt my style of hound n don’t really care what others think about them. I haven’t raised a litter in a long time but am going to this fall. I have found a male n female that have what I like n will probably just give what I don’t keep to to people I know will give theya chance. I work full time job and own a business with my wife n don’t have time for bs. This my one hobby , passion, I’m passing down to my two daughters. If it’s not fun then why do it . To each his own n don’t worry bout what others think. I’ll have a hound in my back yard till the day I die , lord willing. Thanks

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Old Post 07-04-2019 08:01 PM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.H. Sills
UKC Forum Member

Re: questions for the "young guns"..........

I never had any family members into coon hunting. We never had a dog growing up because my dad didn’t like them or he didn’t think we could afford them. I’ve enjoyed the adventure of learning about it on my own. Not interested in trophies, just like seeing how my dogs stack up against other dogs.

consider myself more “middle aged” as I’m mid 40’s. find myself Relating more to Waylon’s “old age and treachery always overcomes youth and skill.”

It’s funny because one of these mafia “young guns” mentioned above in this thread got all bent out of shape and mad when I elected to take the first two minutes of shine time recently. 🤣🤣

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
1.) what's the topography of country like that you guys hunt in most of the time?

Coon hunting in river bottoms with cottonwoods and willows. Elevation is around 6000-7000 feet. In winter cliffs and dark timber forest between 6500-9000 feet.

2.) how often can you drive to within 500-600 yards of your dogs treed way in deep?

Never

3.) what's the average duration of what you would call a good run?

For raccoons about an hour. Cats 2-6 hours

4.) do you like to hear a hound work up a track into a hot driving race or prefer it not say much on the ground but blow down the tree?

The second is preferable.

5.) do you like a dog that checks in with you if it hasn't struck a coon in say 30-40 mins. or just keep hunting until it strikes a coon somewhere?

Check in.

6.) do you care if your dog runs junk or not as long as it eventually is sitting under a treed coon?

Like dogs to be totally trash broke.

I'm a year older than Tar but I ain't an old fart! Thankfully I'm still able to put on some miles in the hills, valleys and mountains where I live. I also still strap on snowshoes and hunt hare in the winter with my beagles! I don't have any coon hounds now but my best friend still does and I can go anytime I want with him. I can tell you he's had a heck of a time in the last 10 yrs. to come up with a decent coon hound of the kind we like! Finally got a pretty decent one 2 years ago only to be diagnosed with ehrlicosis which I guess is pretty much coming to be accepted as the norm near as I can tell!

Old Post 07-04-2019 10:36 PM
J.H. Sills is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.H. Sills Click here to Send J.H. Sills a Private Message Click Here to Email J.H. Sills Find more posts by J.H. Sills Add J.H. Sills to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Re: questions for the "young guns"..........

quote:
1.) what's the topography of country like that you guys hunt in most of the time?
2.) how often can you drive to within 500-600 yards of your dogs treed way in deep?
3.) what's the average duration of what you would call a good run?
4.) do you like to hear a hound work up a track into a hot driving race or prefer it not say much on the ground but blow down the tree?
5.) do you like a dog that checks in with you if it hasn't struck a coon in say 30-40 mins. or just keep hunting until it strikes a coon somewhere?
6.) do you care if your dog runs junk or not as long as it eventually is sitting under a treed coon?

1). Everything from pecan bottoms to mountains, farm ground, to rock piles LOL

2). about a 50-50 time. depends on if I hunt 1 mile sections or big big chunks of river bottom.

3). Good run? A good run is a time in which nobody or nothing dies and I get to do what I love another night.

4). I prefer a dog to strike something they can handle. If they have to "work" a track up and I want it to strike what it does and drive it down there and tree it.

5). There's always a coon to be treed somewhere so mine better be under it. It better not come back until it finds it...

6). They need to run junk in moderation. A older dog for sure can strike it and run it for a couple hundred yards but it needs to get coon on it's mind and not pass too many of them.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 07-05-2019 07:38 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

So here's another question for the "Young Guns".

The 1st 15 years I coon hunted I didn't own a shock collar or a tracking collar of any kind. Not even sure there was tracking units in production for houndsmen then. Got Tri-Tronics in 1993. Never got tracking collars until 2000.

Question to you is if you had no training collars or tracking collars today would you still be hunting the same dog or type of dog you do today?

On a different note, let me say a heartfelt thank you to you younger folks for your commitment to the sport of hunting with hounds. Though our ideas and preferences may differ we are of one mind in keeping hunting with hounds alive in this country. Thanks for keeping the candle burning!

Last edited by DL NH on 07-05-2019 at 08:28 PM

Old Post 07-05-2019 08:23 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

My answer is yes I would hunt the same dogs which is why I still own them. There hunting style is what I prefer. Strike the the first track they come to hot or cold , Open trail ( which is a must for me) that same track till it ends den or coon. They miss some like all dogs but have coon more times than not. They 9 out of ten times strike in the woods I put them in and get treed in the same patch . Not always but usually. I don’t like pulling my dog off someone’s back yard 2 miles away. To many houses around here. If if tree a bunch a coons great , if not oh well. A bad night in the woods is better than a good night on the couch. I hunted my first 15 years without a track system so I remember what it is like. These r just my style of hounds. Don’t expect other to like or dislike them. I love coonhunting with every fiber of my being an have since I heard my first hound. Just love tradition n history in general. This is a great thread!

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Old Post 07-05-2019 09:04 PM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:

The 1st 15 years I coon hunted I didn't own a shock collar or a tracking collar of any kind. Not even sure there was tracking units in production for houndsmen then. Got Tri-Tronics in 1993. Never got tracking collars until 2000.

Question to you is if you had no training collars or tracking collars today would you still be hunting the same dog or type of dog you do today?

On a different note, let me say a heartfelt thank you to you younger folks for your commitment to the sport of hunting with hounds. Though our ideas and preferences may differ we are of one mind in keeping hunting with hounds alive in this country. Thanks for keeping the candle burning!

Yes sir, I didn’t have a tracking system for the first 4 or 5 years and I’m still hunting the same type of dog as I did then. The wildlife materials sure made it better and then Garmin made things that much better again. When I lose signal now, I at least have a definite starting point to climb to and get a reading. Before, you were just guessing if they struck out of hearing. And even after I had a beep beep the signal bounce still put a lot of miles on my legs trying to get an accurate reading. Still today, if they go across the top it doesn’t matter what they are wearing, it’s still climb out and try to find signal. Not uncommon to have 40-50 miles on the collars in a 48 hour period. I’ve seen them have 60-62 miles a couple times and my collars are never on in the truck. Most days the dogs will have between 15-25 miles on the ground average. I’ve left the truck at daylight and gotten picked up many times the following day somewhere when I get to wandering or we have a hard race and end up so far through the country it’s closer to just come out and call someone. Cell phones made this possible, didn’t have one of those till 10 years ago. I used to have to come all the way back. Still have to call before I drop off a high ridge most times and tell someone about where to come looking for me. Cause usually don’t have signal once I leave a high spot.

Old Post 07-05-2019 09:09 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Corey Gruver

Happy birthday, I really enjoyed your post. You articulated what I see is the heart and soul of coon hunting. It gladdens my heart to see a young man that sees the pure joy of coon hunting in itself, not looking for any other awards, but enjoying the sport as so many of us older hunters have done for years. Wish you many years of happy and enjoyable coon hunting, not that you need my wishes, you have already got what it takes. Dave

Old Post 07-05-2019 09:17 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yes I would still hunt the same dogs. I have a soft spot for these big wild hunting suckers. Nothing makes me feel better than treeing one in almost out of hearing knowing he is a coon and knowing it’s gonna burn the hunt up getting to him. Dad has hunted These dogs before deep and alone was cool and I guess we will be hunting them until We completely run out of coon hunting or can’t afford the trespassing tickets. If they took the tracking units away we will just do a lot driving around.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 07-06-2019 12:17 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: questions for the "young guns"..........

quote:
[i]Originally posted by TylerOSU [/i

6). They need to run junk in moderation. A older dog for sure can strike it and run it for a couple hundred yards but it needs to get coon on it's mind and not pass too many of them. [/B]

This comment blows my mind! Didn’t know younger hunters wanted their dogs running junk. I guess hence the new rule change proposal.

Old Post 07-06-2019 01:32 AM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Whew sometimes I wonder why I fought so hard to ensure coonhunting is going to be in our youths future for years to come. When our youth has the anything goes attitude. Maybe we need just one rule :

Anything goes.

Tar

Old Post 07-06-2019 01:41 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Come on fellas, nothing wrong with a gamey pup. Something to work with. Will take one over a straight one any day. They got heart , that’s where the drive comes from.

Old Post 07-06-2019 01:52 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Come on fellas, nothing wrong with a gamey pup. Something to work with. Will take one over a straight one any day. They got heart , that’s where the drive comes from.

Evidently you ain’t been reading these young folks post the last couple weeks anything really does go. See us old turds seen the then vs the now. The young folks only seen the now.

Like the old saying said brace yourself Effie !! We ain’t going to stop till we smell dookie and hear glass break lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:07 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Am picking with you tar. Use to be first strick was running junk , an fallen off on a hot coon. It still is except they don’t need junk. They just bark to make you think they running something. But I do like a gamey pup.

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:11 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

A normal play by play : all four dogs struck under the minute.

Dogs are splitting up must have been four coons running together.

Track is cooling down.

Dogs are getting deep.

Ole flame thrower trees ole fang backs. Ole flame thrower leaves fang has the evidence.

Ole flame thrower trees fang is recut and opens behind the cast.

Ole lonely has first strike and can barley be heard tree ole lonely.

Flame is circled. Hunt is up if ole lonely has the coon he wins plus lonely up.

Say it ain’t so I think they use the same ones and just change the names.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 07-06-2019 at 02:48 AM

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:23 AM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Re: Corey Gruver

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Happy birthday, I really enjoyed your post. You articulated what I see is the heart and soul of coon hunting. It gladdens my heart to see a young man that sees the pure joy of coon hunting in itself, not looking for any other awards, but enjoying the sport as so many of us older hunters have done for years. Wish you many years of happy and enjoyable coon hunting, not that you need my wishes, you have already got what it takes. Dave

Very nice of you to say Dave! I consider myself to be very “old school”, even for being a “young guy” If you ever need a hunting buddy, look me up!

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:27 AM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Whatever can win, an however. There is real coondogs out there. It’s competition tar , just because these young folks are young they not stupid. They learn faster by what they see.

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:32 AM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Enjoyed your post Corey! Good to hear there are some younger folks that still
are interested in the joys of listening to a quality coon hound in the pleasure hunting format. There is whole lot more to be enjoyed in owning good night to night solid pleasure hounds then many realize. Savor it while you can!

Thank you Dan! I had some great mentors in the sport growing up, miss them dearly.

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:35 AM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Whatever can win, an however. There is real coondogs out there. It’s competition tar , just because these young folks are young they not stupid. They learn faster by what they see.

Yep on the card it says award 100 points the the dog that opens first. change that to takes a wizz first they would be forcing liquids down them all day.

I know lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:47 AM
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Coon hunting

I am 38 years old I have been coon hunting since I was born I reckon I am a coon hunter first I like to hunt a balanced dog that trees coons. I went on my first competition hunt in 2004 I had never been on one so I thought I would try it. I took an old redbone hound he was 2 at the time and hunted him on the hunts and made him a grand nt ch in 13 casts. Won 12 of those 13 casts. He was an honest strike dog took which ever track he came across and treed it. I hunted him 6 or 7 nights a week year around he wasn't nothing flashy he just treed coons. Pleasure hunting is my thing but I love drawing those so called competition dogs with him because he was a coon dog and a coon dog that trees coons will win more than they loose! That's my two cents

Old Post 07-06-2019 03:16 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Corey Gruver

You are welcome, thanks for the invitation to hunt with you. I would consider it a privilege to hunt with you and if the opportunity ever arises, you can bet I will be there. Dave

Old Post 07-06-2019 08:12 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote