UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Less mad at your dog if
Less mad if
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Tree a possum 54 52.43%
Make a slick 38 36.89%
I own the perfect hounds that do neither 11 10.68%
Total: 103 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Less mad at your dog if

Would you be less mad if your dog slick treed or if he treed a possum?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-29-2020 05:26 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I don't like either 1 but I'll take the opossum or a slick over some other critters.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 09-29-2020 05:31 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I would be less upset over a possum. I can break him from an animal. How do you break one from barking at air? There's air everywhere.

Old Post 09-29-2020 05:41 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

I would figure most want to win can't win with the dinorat but still got a chance with the gnat.

Old Post 09-29-2020 06:16 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

My dogs don't tree possums, cause we don't have any here. FACT!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 09-29-2020 07:24 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

What's a possum 😉

Old Post 09-29-2020 08:17 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I would be less upset over a possum. I can break him from an animal. How do you break one from barking at air? There's air everywhere.

I agree with this! I HATE HATE HATE walking to trees with nothing in them. Whats the reason they picked this tree? Why are we barking at air? Why did you make me walk in here to look at an empty tree when there was one 10 yards from the truck.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-29-2020 08:17 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Possum

Breaking a dog from treeing possums is a lot easier than breaking a dog from slick treeing, and I hate a slick treeing dog. Dave

Old Post 09-29-2020 09:41 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

I'd be less mad if he treed a opossum, it's very hard to break a dog from treeing slick, I'd much rather have to break them from treeing a opossum.

Old Post 09-29-2020 09:55 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Poll

It's amazing that so many prefer a slick tree over a possum, I suspect those preferring a slick tree are competition hunters and prefer minus over a scratch. I am a coon hunter but can not stand a slick tree. I would rather be scratched for a possum than look up a slick tree. Dave

Old Post 09-29-2020 11:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

The future ain't looking too bright. When nearly 40% of hunters rather their dog to tree air than a real animal it's not encouraging.

Old Post 09-30-2020 04:04 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

Lol. Now you know why we have so many slick treers, WAY to many folks tolerate this behavior. Some folks even think that ALL dogs slick tree on a regular basis or that's it's just part of hunting, well, it's NOT for me. Dave

Old Post 09-30-2020 04:12 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Not the number that blows my mind

quote:
The future ain't looking too bright. When nearly 40% of hunters rather their dog to tree air than a real animal it's not encouraging.

I can't believe only 10% say there dogs are perfect. Seems when looking at a pup every dog in the ped was perfect and never made any mistakes.

Old Post 09-30-2020 04:30 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 09-30-2020 10:35 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't understand anyone who thinks there's a difference between a opossum, slick, squirrel, or any other off game.

Old Post 10-01-2020 12:12 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pamjohnson
I don't understand anyone who thinks there's a difference between a opossum, slick, squirrel, or any other off game. [/You don't see the difference in an animal an no animal? Well I guess there's no difference in a dog running a deer and babbling.

Old Post 10-01-2020 12:50 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pamjohnson
I don't understand anyone who thinks there's a difference between a opossum, slick, squirrel, or any other off game. [/You don't see the difference in an animal an no animal? Well I guess there's no difference in a dog running a deer and babbling.

not much difference. Still undesirable habits . Correct them or enjoy it.

Old Post 10-01-2020 01:39 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'll stay with breaking possum treers. You can break the slick treers.

Old Post 10-01-2020 04:25 AM
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Slicks or possums r sins.....to choose one over the other is accepting what 90% of hunters r packing ! JMO

Old Post 10-02-2020 01:17 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I guess I see this differently than most folks. If I have a problem with a dog, treeing possums is the best problem. Slick treeing is the worse.

Old Post 10-02-2020 05:18 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I guess I see this differently than most folks. If I have a problem with a dog, treeing possums is the best problem. Slick treeing is the worse.

I'm with you but I can say there's some other critters besides a opossum that I only give 3 chances to the dog for. And that critter is porcupines. But I'd rather have a dog tree opossum over slicks.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-03-2020 01:31 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Prefer a possum over a slick. Can break off possums, most of the time. Slick treeing, you can tighten up. But a tree monster will always tree. I look at it this way. I much rather have something in the tree to work with than nothing at all. Grown men want fess up to that. Because their buddies will rag them for treeing a possum

Old Post 10-03-2020 01:52 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I can stop the possums, I absolutely hate a slick treeing fool. But my biggest pet peeve is one with big ears that will pull to another dog, but that’s another thread.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 10-03-2020 04:53 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote