UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > UKC Hunts
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kythunder
UKC Forum Member

UKC Hunts

Just a question from a newbie.

Just got into coonhounds. Got a pup that is getting pretty good at finding coons now...soo got to reading about UKC hunts and the rules....seems too crazy.

Are there any hunts....where I turn my hound loose with 3 other dogs....and the first to tree a coon gets a point or two or three....then we re-send them again

..and first dog to tree a coon gets a point or two or three.

Off game....subtract a point.

I also just bought a UKC Grandnite Champ dog.....he didnt tree....was rubbing on my side

My tae bo grandpup lit a tree up and the gnc took off and lit up barking and treed with him.

Love my hounds as a newbie....but to me....first dog that trees a coon should be the only that gets a point.

From a newbie that likes a coonhound

Last edited by Kythunder on 10-06-2020 at 03:58 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-06-2020 03:33 AM
Kythunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kythunder Click here to Send Kythunder a Private Message Click Here to Email Kythunder Find more posts by Kythunder Add Kythunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MARSHALL AYERS
UKC Forum Member

This is a game. Learn to love it or don’t play.

Rules aren’t that crazy. You and your dog are a team. One night it’s 75% dog and 25% handler the next night it’s 25% dog and 75% handler

The way you described it is pretty much how this game goes. Add some timing in there and you essentially have the same thing. Dog that trees the most Coons without making mistakes in 2 hours or 1 hour wins. Same premise you have just on a bigger scale.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Old Post 10-06-2020 04:27 AM
MARSHALL AYERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MARSHALL AYERS Click here to Send MARSHALL AYERS a Private Message Click Here to Email MARSHALL AYERS Find more posts by MARSHALL AYERS Add MARSHALL AYERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Newbie???

quote:
Originally posted by Kythunder
Just a question from a newbie.

Just got into coonhounds. Got a pup that is getting pretty good at finding coons now...soo got to reading about UKC hunts and the rules....seems too crazy.

Are there any hunts....where I turn my hound loose with 3 other dogs....and the first to tree a coon gets a point or two or three....then we re-send them again

..and first dog to tree a coon gets a point or two or three.

Off game....subtract a point.

I also just bought a UKC Grandnite Champ dog.....he didnt tree....was rubbing on my side

My tae bo grandpup lit a tree up and the gnc took off and lit up barking and treed with him.

Love my hounds as a newbie....but to me....first dog that trees a coon should be the only that gets a point.

From a newbie that likes a coonhound

You sure don't sound like a newbie!!!

Old Post 10-06-2020 04:51 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Newbie???

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh

Bet your right too!!!!

Old Post 10-06-2020 12:45 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kythunder
UKC Forum Member

Re: Newbie???

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh

First xoonhound I ever owned was in March of 2020. Went with some friends and my little girl in Dec 2019 and Jan of 2020.....we got hooked.

Some like my pup and say his skills you don't see much.....mainly hunts with nose in the air....you can see what he does when he catches a scent of one.....will rare up on back legs and take off....in 100 to 150 yrds....he goes nutzz.....find him at the tree and there is a coon in it.

I bought the older GNC to get him to range out....its working....but....like an old timer I know told me...when he is finding coons at 50 to 200yrds....you don't need him to range out....he may be right.

As with all hunting....d timers know what is right....i am older.....50's....but a newbie in the xoonhound world.

I've heard tae bow was good....wish i knew if he smelt coons in the air like my pup. He amazed me. But what really gets me is old coonhoundmen that hunt with me say he is special.

By the way...I only ever released 1 coon for him...all spring and summer me and him just walked in the woods....he has winded and found alot of possums too.....but seems now he only whines on them then leaves the tree......ahen he go nutts on a tree....yep...its a coon.

Old Post 10-07-2020 04:38 AM
Kythunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kythunder Click here to Send Kythunder a Private Message Click Here to Email Kythunder Find more posts by Kythunder Add Kythunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kythunder
UKC Forum Member

But...back to the subject.....would be awesome if all inhad to do is say.....my dog treed a coon....then simply get rewarded for it.

As of now....my understanding is....i gotta play a game of who knows the rules the best.

Just hope I'm wrong.....cause from what I've b÷n told to do....im going to enter him in one after this coin season......all I'm going to do is tell them when my dog has treed a coon.....if he me toos a coon....i won't open my mouth

Old Post 10-07-2020 04:47 AM
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

If you draw honest judge just strike and tree your dog and have fun. But it's like anything with rules the better you know them the better you can play by them. And just remember its a competition and experience counts for lot. Just be fair and try win within the rules learn as much as you can about your hound and the rules and comp hunting is lot fun. My approach is I won't cheat to win and won't get mad when others do. Because you will have bad cast or draw bad people 1 out 10 times but most time people will help you and its lot fun.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 10-07-2020 05:18 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote