UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breaking dogs off squirrel!?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I would put a shock collar on the dog while in his kennel...then I would go out and shoot a squirrel and bring it to the kennel...make sure the squirrel is upwind so the dog can smell and see the squirrel...swing the squirrel to to the dog and shock him at the exact moment the squirrel makes contact with the dog...do it three time is succession...Put squirrel in storage bag and throw it in the freezer...

Repeat training session in 4 or five days...

The third time one quick tap will be all he needs...He’ll be trying to climb out the kennel trying to get away from that ferocious squirrel...

When doing it have collar set on maximum...and shocking does not last long at all...but you need to make a statement...or is it the squirrel?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-11-2020 10:04 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I’m sure it happens once in a while but most of the time it’s slick treeing. Kinda like in the old days when dogs would leave trees they would say that they were treeing cats and they were jumping out. It just sounded better.

Old Post 10-11-2020 04:06 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larry geesling
UKC Forum Member

Lone Pine 56 in the early fall squirrels start moving more on the ground I have a dog I bought in march last year as a 7mo. old under a coon treed coon all summer long until middle of September this dog hunts on the run and can move a track and a very honest dog bout having a coon. then he started blowing up treed working in one spot painting the garmin. took him during the day when he would tree I would shock him. if he treed at night and I went in to him and he was up a small tree I wouldn't shine I would scold him and go on. bout December he came back and went to treeing coons. and has treed coon since then. until this September now its on again if he's got a coon he' be treeing ever breath if its a squirrels he'll start easy when I get in to the tree. I can't say what squirrels do in other parts of the country but here in middle tenn they are out at night. not the first one I ever had that treed squirrels at night. but I would rather have one running deer any time hope this helps.

Old Post 10-11-2020 10:08 PM
larry geesling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for larry geesling Click here to Send larry geesling a Private Message Click Here to Email larry geesling Find more posts by larry geesling Add larry geesling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

I take mine to the city park. I break mine off their scent. Problem solved.

Old Post 10-12-2020 01:20 AM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

I had a B&T gyp was bad on squirrel at night . I broke her butt from it . If the hound got a lot of tree in them and can take a butt whipping without having their feelings hurt then take them out on a bright full moon night when the leaves are off . Throw the switch to them . They got any brains they’ll stop !

Old Post 10-13-2020 09:51 AM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisS22
UKC Forum Member

As has been said grey squirrels rut 2x a year, and flying squirrels are nocturnal. Squirrels move ALOT more after dark than folks think!

Years ago I had a hound that was extremely accurate until late September. He was making coony looking trees but I wasn't seeing many coon. He was young at the time so it wasn't until the next fall I realized what was going on. That joker was treeing the heck out of rutting squirrels. I broke him in pen with a road kill squirrel.

BTW, those AGM thermals will find those squirrels for you this time of year. I know because that same dog's great grandson treed a double last week.

Old Post 10-13-2020 05:20 PM
ChrisS22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisS22 Click here to Send ChrisS22 a Private Message Click Here to Email ChrisS22 Find more posts by ChrisS22 Add ChrisS22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larry geesling
UKC Forum Member

took my young dog back out last night hunted on the run no sign of him working a squirrel on the ground. under one coon I saw and a monster red oak that I didn't see. Maybe i'm good till next September.

Old Post 10-16-2020 01:57 AM
larry geesling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for larry geesling Click here to Send larry geesling a Private Message Click Here to Email larry geesling Find more posts by larry geesling Add larry geesling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Oaks

Guys, these big oaks this time of year make it very hard to find the coon, especially when they will not look. Last night we treed 2 singles up oak trees that were extremely hard to find, they would not look, just found little black spot both times that we shot and both times we got the coons. Nearly overlooked both coons both times, there are lots of coons that WILL NOT look and this heavy foliage makes finding those coons extremely difficult. Do not jump to hasty conclusions on the squirrel theory if you are having trouble finding coons in these big oaks. Dave

Old Post 10-16-2020 02:25 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larry geesling
UKC Forum Member

Dave i'm not sure but I would say I have hunted as long or longer than you have what I say about treeing squirrels at night is not a theory its a proven fact or I would not have said it. I make no excuses for my dog and I usually know what they are doing.

Old Post 10-16-2020 03:06 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry

My statement was not directed at you by any means, I just wanted to express how hard some coons can be to find in those big oaks in Sept and Oct with all those leaves. I too have no issue with calling it like it is if I think a dog is messing with squirrels at night. Last night we road hunted and our dog treed twice up big oaks with a very short track or race, once right at the road and both coons were extremely hard to find. Coons are feeding primarily in the oaks right now and you will tree a bunch up oak trees. Knowing your dog certainly determines what one thinks they are doing, we have NO problems with our dogs messing with squirrels. Hope you understand, fyi been coon hunt close to 60 years, turn 72 Oct. 18th.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-16-2020 at 05:40 AM

Old Post 10-16-2020 05:37 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larry geesling
UKC Forum Member

well you got me by a few just a few year its a blessing to be our age and still enjoy the sport we love. under stand no problem

Old Post 10-18-2020 08:02 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry

Lol. Yes, it is a blessing to be able to hunt at our age, my hunting partner is 82 be 83 in January and is tough as a pine knot. He hunt 5 to 6 nights a week in these steep mountains and goes to every tree. He lives to coon hunt and hunted even when he is sick or knee hurting, etc. I am nursing a torn ACL in my right knee and mostly ride along and listen to the dogs run and tree, we have walkie takes to communicate with each other. We do road hunt some and I get to see some of the coons we tree when they are close to the road. Dave

Old Post 10-18-2020 10:25 PM