UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Project coondog
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Re: after hours

quote:
Originally posted by Rush Run Rebel
word to the wise, if you plan on using a 4 wheeler or sidebyside to hunt out of, don't let your pups run with it.....they will associate it with coming to it and will complicate your hunts......the pups will pull and come to the wheeler if they hear it.....I haul my dogs in the sisde by side box and hunt from it, I do not let the dogs run with the machine.....just sayin.

I agree 100% rebel. I know thatís a risk I am running and will put a stop to it pretty soon. More or less doing it now to let pup exercise.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-02-2019 03:28 PM
After Hours is offline Click Here to See the Profile for After Hours Click here to Send After Hours a Private Message Find more posts by After Hours Add After Hours to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Burns
UKC Forum Member

Re: Update on female puppies

quote:
Originally posted by After Hours
Forgot to post an update on the female puppies that a third friend has. They are doing well. They are being raised quite differently than the boys are. I have to keep the boys kenneled most of time due to my proximity to a major highway. The girls get turned loose pretty much all day every day. They are being tutored on the ways of the world by a beagle named Sugar. From what I understand, Sugar is routinely taking Fenix and Kate on excursions. Todd said he walked the girls down in the woods on Wednesday afternoon and in no time, they had tore off down the hill, disappearing completely out of sight. Todd said he was surprised they would just leave out like that. He didnít have any name collars on them and got worried they would get lost so he whistled and they came back in after a few minutes. They havenít had any exposure to a coon yet.

Question(s) to the group:
Will the females turn out better than the males? Will the way they are being raised effect the type of finished products they become? Will their raising effect their hunting styles? Etc, etc, etc

I would love to hear everyoneís thoughts on letting puppies grow up while running loose mostly versus trying to train them as you go while raising them mostly in a kennel.

The earliest starting and best dog I ever owned was allowed to ruin free on the property. He opened on a rabbit at 14 weeks, treed his first coon by himself at 8 months and his first bobcat at 11 months. Virtually no training on my part.

Old Post 12-04-2019 12:04 AM
John Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Burns Click here to Send John Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email John Burns Find more posts by John Burns Add John Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

Sure is a healthy looking pup

Old Post 12-06-2019 02:41 AM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 12-06-2019 02:54 AM
After Hours is offline Click Here to See the Profile for After Hours Click here to Send After Hours a Private Message Find more posts by After Hours Add After Hours to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ING 194
Sure is a healthy looking pup

Thank you. This is Lucky. I think we are getting ready to swap him out and let him go run loose in the country and learn about everything outside of the kennel. Will probably take him to Toddís place and bring KATE home and give her some coon exposure.

Old Post 12-06-2019 04:10 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is probably a good idea. I believe that a balance works best. Too much "seeing a coon" is not good but then too much running loose is not good either. How much is "too much" is different for each individual pup, even if they are littermates. But it sounds like/looks like you are doing pretty good at this balancing act. Keep letting us know how they progress.

Old Post 12-06-2019 07:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After Hours
UKC Forum Member

Lucky

Havenít had a chance to run swap Lucky out yet. Decided to take my old dog hunting tonight. Have a Ďprojectí male that is at my house now and planned to hunt Badger and the other male and see what happened. Right before I took off walking to the woods I thought, heck, I might as well let Lucky tag along. I figured I would regret it, knowing he would be right under my feet all night. And before I cut the old dogs loose I was already thinking, this was a bad idea as Lucky just was aggravating the fire out of the others, jumping up in their face, wanting to play. I went ahead and unsnapped both older dogs and of course Lucky took off with them. I was pretty worried when he didnít show back up in 10 minutes or so. I thought to myself, Ďyou will be out all night looking for this pupí. About 25 minutes in, ol Badger got treed. He had went across a 300 yard long field and then turned East and went across a 40 acre tract and then turned north and went a few hundred yards....then he struck and went back to the west about 100 yds or so and was treed. Believe it or not, when I got to about 50 yds from Badger I heard Lucky bark...2 times. I was blown away that the little feller had went with Badger all the way. I just hoped he would burn off some energy and get some exercise and he made the whole trip with Badger. Pretty impressed with this little sucker right now. Canít wait to see what he does after being turned loose for a couple months.

Old Post 12-09-2019 03:05 AM
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like he's getting some exercise and a education

Old Post 12-09-2019 03:32 AM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote