UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How far do you want your dog to hunt?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

How far do you want your dog to hunt?

When pleasure hunting, how far do you like a dog to hunt before checking back? 400-500 yards is a plenty for me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-2018 03:42 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

I want to get them off the wood!!!

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 04-03-2018 03:47 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Time 29
I want to get them off the wood!!!

If I had that much land and room to hunt I would too buddy. I should of reworded my post lol. 400-500 yards is about all the room I have most places I've got to hunt without being on other's land or getting close to a road.

Old Post 04-03-2018 03:51 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

I want mine to stay out until I tell them to come in

Old Post 04-03-2018 04:13 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

Anyone who answers with a certain yardage is most definitely not a competition hunter.

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 04-03-2018 04:14 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I don't want mines to check in .

Old Post 04-03-2018 04:39 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I walk hunt, 200 to 250 yards is about right, want them to check in too. If my dogs didn't hunt like this, I would be very limited on places to hunt until after deer season.

Old Post 04-03-2018 04:44 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

If I truly was only pleasure hunting I think 400 yards and to check in and hunt out again if I was walking in big timber. I still like to go to some hunts so I like a little more "go" in them. I don't want them passing up coons (it is a fine line of "go" and passing coons sometimes) but to go till they find one.

Old Post 04-03-2018 07:10 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

This is strictly going to depend on where you live and hunt. I want mine to go as far as he needs too, or until I call him back. I don't need him checking in. I know where he is. I'm hunting right now with a couple of friends and if theirs went as far as mine does they would be in trouble pretty quick. So it all just depends on where you live.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-03-2018 07:16 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Only as far as they need to, not one step less or more...

Old Post 04-03-2018 09:20 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I like dogs that are indifferent to what wvery thing else is doingand cover the ground they are on quick looking for game, not necessarily about how far they go.

Old Post 04-03-2018 10:47 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

How far.

I want mine to go until they are treed. Something about going out hunting at night that makes me wanna walk 2 miles through the woods. Lol yeah right. I just want them to go hunting, 1 mile is almost to far. I like when I read on here where they say that their hound got treed at 1.7 miles and they live in Ohio, Indiana. The Coon capitals of the US. To me that dog ain’t worth a ****. In thin, thin Coon I can see that.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Last edited by MIKE CARDER on 04-04-2018 at 05:15 AM

Old Post 04-03-2018 10:53 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I want mine kicking!! It's nothing for mine to be a mile in minutes.

Old Post 04-04-2018 01:14 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I like a dog that hunts out an area not in a straight line, 1/4 to 1/2 a mile no strike come back load up go somewhere else. I also like dogs one can road/rig hunt where and when possible lots of fun.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 04-04-2018 03:09 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wildcat3
If I had that much land and room to hunt I would too buddy. I should of reworded my post lol. 400-500 yards is about all the room I have most places I've got to hunt without being on other's land or getting close to a road.

Most drops we won’t be struck in 400-500 yards. Rarely do we ever get to hear a track because the mountains and thin coon.

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 04-04-2018 02:02 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

If you think about it, some people can run a mile in less than 5 minutes. So, how long would it take your dog to go a mile if he hadn't struck a coon? I've had different kinds of dogs, one was a straight line, get through the country type of dog. One would go 2 miles, but he might be in the opposite direction I cut him. One would only hunt about 3 or 4 hundred yards, and check back in. But the best I ever had, would hunt about 45 minutes, and if he didn't get struck, or was treed out of hearing, he would come back in. The best thing I ever got was a shock collar, because I was able to control how far my dog went!

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 04-04-2018 03:04 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

depends on area and what you want

to me it is not a pleasure to spend all night looking at the garmin and not being able to hear my dog. my answer is different if you ask for comp hunters how far should a dog go, compared to for a pleasure hunter how far should a dog go? yeah some comp guys want their dog a mile before it puts it's head down ( alone treed with coon). most pleasure guy's want a dog that hunts the area it's turned loose in. most pleasure dogs I've seen hunt no more than 1000 yards without either striking or checking back in. now once a dog strikes it should not come back regardless of how far it has to go to get the coon treed, in any world. the type of hound I want is not what everyone would want. but if it will tree coons almost every time out, and I like the dog then I don't care what everyone else wants. if it's at my house I'm the only one who has to like it (well me and the kids). last year a started a dog that got to deep for my liking, so I simply sold him to a guy looking for a deep going dog. yeah might have been able to break him but he was treeing coons in his own style and looking good but it just didn't match my style. Not sure why the ?, if you are worried about what others think, or if your unhappy with what you have, or just wondering. but to me if the dogs are coonhounds and I like him than I don't care what others who hunt with them maybe once a month say, the other 29 nights out it's just me them.

Old Post 04-04-2018 03:37 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

i predominately pleasure hunt. but i want my dogs to go hunting- most nights they won't strike any closer than 500-600 yards. and i want my dog to hunt where the coon are- stick around the creek or bottom or whatever... i dont mind them checking in after they have hunted an area through but im not going to fault them for hunting on. i dont like straight line hunters and i dont like dogs that are too busy getting out of the country where they run by coons. i want my dogs to take tracks as they come.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 04-04-2018 03:58 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Get around the field and get back.

Old Post 04-04-2018 04:17 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

Re: How far.

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
I want mine to go until they are treed. Something about going out hunting at night that makes me wanna walk 2 miles through the woods. Lol yeah right. I just want them to go hunting, 1 mile is almost to far. I like when I read on here where they say that their hound got treed at 1.7 miles and they live in Ohio, Indiana. The Coon capitals of the US. To me that dog ain’t worth a ****. In thin, thin Coon I can see that.

That’s funny you say that I watched a dog go 3 mile one night here i’ve got prime hunting. That dog had already won Super Stakes he went on to win a truck and the PKC National championship this year. Lol Just because you’re in Indiana doesn’t mean the coon move all the time. When we drop with snow on the ground it’s worse then hunting thin coon sometimes. When they go through a woods and there’s not another on that block they may have to go another mile to get to the next one.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 04-04-2018 04:24 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Everyone is different. Jason, that just shows that one man's not worth a crap can be another man's $25, 000 dog.

Old Post 04-04-2018 04:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

How Deep

Well it depends on the place i drop him, the weather, my mood that night etc. Guess mine needs to be a mind reader. Lol. But sometimes that's how it is. Sometimes 600 yards isn't too far and sometimes it is. Sometimes 900 yards isn't too far and some times it is. Poor dog doesn't know what I'm thinking at the time. I will say this: If your dog is a mile plus deep in 5 minutes or so, a coon dog will tree coon behind him.

Old Post 04-04-2018 05:53 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: How far.

quote:
Originally posted by Night Shift
That’s funny you say that I watched a dog go 3 mile one night here i’ve got prime hunting. That dog had already won Super Stakes he went on to win a truck and the PKC National championship this year. Lol Just because you’re in Indiana doesn’t mean the coon move all the time. When we drop with snow on the ground it’s worse then hunting thin coon sometimes. When they go through a woods and there’s not another on that block they may have to go another mile to get to the next one.

Yes Jason, like I said in thin Coon I can see that. I personally don’t want 2+ miles. But understand it.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 04-04-2018 06:41 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

You boys must hunt some big country. I've got a decent amount of hunting around me but no where near enough for my dogs to go a mile before striking. Don't get me wrong I wish I did. Now if I hunt the gameland yes, they can really get out there and strain the Alpha if they want but on a regular basis I just dont have the room to do it. Well I got the room just not the permission lol. Land around me is big country but its broken into tracts of anywhere between 50-200 acres. Hard to get permission from everyone.

Old Post 04-04-2018 06:53 PM
coonhunter00
UKC Forum Member

At times I want one to go til it trees. However, a lot of the properties I hunt I don’t have permission to be on adjacent land. So 500-700yards is the most I would like for one to go.
But, I never have to worry about this mine are scared of the dark don’t want to leave my light. LOL

Old Post 04-04-2018 11:15 PM
coonhunter00 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter00 Click here to Send coonhunter00 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter00 Find more posts by coonhunter00 Add coonhunter00 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote