UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Line breeding to Big Country
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Traye Hearn
UKC Forum Member

Last edited by Traye Hearn on 07-07-2020 at 04:19 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-02-2020 03:27 AM
Traye Hearn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traye Hearn Click here to Send Traye Hearn a Private Message Click Here to Email Traye Hearn Find more posts by Traye Hearn Add Traye Hearn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If she is a decent gyp I would breed her to big country...I would be excited about the potential...

Old Post 07-02-2020 03:53 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Breeding

It should be an excellent cross with that pedigree, but any breeding is a hit or miss deal. Dave

Old Post 07-02-2020 06:30 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Just had the super stakes he has pups old enough to be there. ............. all walker dogs won it.

Tar

Old Post 07-02-2020 12:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Just had the super stakes he has pups old enough to be there. ............. all walker dogs won it.

Tar

Let’s look at the big picture...

First...I see your statement as insinuating that big country isn’t producing...and yes it could be true...

But let’s take a look at the super stakes...you said all were walkers that won it...

And some of big country pups were old enough to compete...apparently none of his pups won...

So to make it fair...how many Walker pups were available to compete? In other words how many pups in the surrounding area that were hunted had potential? Competition hunters won’t enter a pup unless they think they have a good pup or a pup that has a chance to win at some point in time...and that number could be pretty high...

How many pups from big country had the same opportunity?

If we knew those numbers we would be able to put a percentage on big country and the walkers pups...chances are it wouldn’t be a fair comparison...

I know I have read many comments on here about what an awesome dog big country is...it seems he is a crossbred hound Bluetick x Walker if I remember correctly...

I think because his pedigree is considered to be an open pedigree it makes sense that he should be bred to his daughter especially if she is a good one as already mentioned...the chances are pretty good to get some exceptional pups from this cross...if I have my information wrong I sincerely apologize...

Old Post 07-02-2020 02:19 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Didn’t see tar there with anything either.
Recon his opinion on cross means nobody needs to breed to BC. I’ve never got to hunt with BC, but respect a lot of the folks that have and what they have said,, I wouldn’t mind trying one from him. The cross your thinking on making, in my opinion,, would be nice one to try. But,, I only been around sport about 30 years,, don’t have nowhere near experience that the great Tar has.

Old Post 07-02-2020 02:46 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

John Strickland posted this yesterday if anyone missed it....

He has 181 pups as of today 77 of them are 6 months or younger 46 more are 12 months old or younger his pups combined winnings are $10821 so far

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 07-02-2020 02:57 PM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Pinson
UKC Forum Member

bc

I'm sure BC will do his part when its all said and done but for heavens sake I wished bluetick people would quit "linebreeding" I've hunted blueticks for over 10 years for the most part and just about every cross you see is linebred, if im looking for a pup and I see linebred I just keep looking!! An outcross wouldn't hurt IMO

Old Post 07-02-2020 03:02 PM
J. Pinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. Pinson Click here to Send J. Pinson a Private Message Click Here to Email J. Pinson Find more posts by J. Pinson Add J. Pinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Traye Hearn
UKC Forum Member

Tar

The purpose of the post wasn’t to compare any dog or breed to a walker. It was just to get opinions on breeding a full uncle x niece cross. The breed and bloodline was just to give people more info on what I was thinking about doing. I know line breeding has been done more in walker dogs lately so I was looking for those breeders input also. Thanks

Old Post 07-02-2020 03:04 PM
Traye Hearn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traye Hearn Click here to Send Traye Hearn a Private Message Click Here to Email Traye Hearn Find more posts by Traye Hearn Add Traye Hearn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

I know I have read many comments on here about what an awesome dog big country is...it seems he is a crossbred hound Bluetick x Walker if I remember correctly....

He's not crossbred,he's a purebred Bluetick .

Old Post 07-02-2020 03:52 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

Traye there was a post awhile back on here about line breeding and I'm sure this will hurt some feelings again. Line breeding is a word that people came up with that sounded better to them then in-breeding. Can you imagine if a Uncle bred his niece in humans and he went in front of the judge and said it's not inbreeding or incest it's line breeding?? Please don't say it's different in dog's because we are not talking morals, genetics are genetics -- PERIOD. There are people that will say it's a good thing and when done it produced ole so and so and they won something something.
The proven scientific facts are inbreeding of any kind weakens the immune system. I would encourage you to google in-breeding and how it weakens the immune system and come to a conclusion yourself. I for one believe most of the thyroid problems in coon hounds of today are due to inbreeding (JMO). Your gonna get a lot of personal opinions on this subject but the fact is most all of those opinions come from a person that has never been in a lab and studied the DNA genetic make up of dogs that's been in-bred or as you like to say line bred. Just because ole so and so did it and it was successful don't mean it was the right thing to do for the future of the breed. Once again this is JMO and I encourage you to google it and read the research results done by scientist in a controlled setting in a lab and not the advice from a breeder that bred old Rock To his sister Sue forty years ago and got old RINGO that won the world . In-breeding causes a{ loss} of genetic diversity that in turn creates unintended health problems. Look it up for yourself. Once again not trying to make anyone mad or hurt anyone's feeling's this is JMO. P.S. I'm not a scientist just a common hillbilly.

Old Post 07-02-2020 04:44 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

line breeding

I absolutely believe in linebreeding and my best crosses have been uncle to niece,go for it.

Old Post 07-02-2020 04:44 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

That uncle x niece cross with Rambo added should be make some great pups!

There are many books on animal husbandry. Animal genetics are not the same as human genetics. Line-breeding, in-breeding and family breeding are all excellent ways to lock down desired traits of the bloodline.

If you like the traits of that line then an uncle x niece cross would be great. It's not too close, it's actually one of the best line bred crosses you can make.

Some of my best crosses have been uncle x niece but my favorite crosses are double first cousins.

Many animals do this naturally in the wild. Vary rarely are outside bloodlines introduced to colonies. Think about it, a pack of coyotes can only contain so many unrelated dogs. Where would the new blood come from? Another state or country? To some extent they will all have a common ancestor. They don't know or care who their relatives are, all that matters is alpha. The alpha male will breed most females and then most pups will be related. When he's done, who is going to take his place? Likely one of his sons, who will now breed all his half sisters, cousins, nieces, etc. This repeats with each new alpha and allows very little opportunity for outside blood to be introduced.

Good luck with your pups, I imagine you will get some nice ones.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 07-02-2020 05:09 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Buckeyeboys...what you’re saying is true...genetic diversity matters for many reasons...but it takes more than several generations for it to be a potential problem IMO...

Also dogs are more diversified than humans when looking at their gene pools...

I’ve often thought as Coby is saying about wild animals...why is it they can line breed and inbreed and continue to do so?

I believe Mother Nature through evolution knows best...it would be nice to know exactly how it is done...

Old Post 07-02-2020 05:31 PM
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

Buckeyeboys...what you’re saying is true...genetic diversity matters for many reasons...but it takes more than several generations for it to be a potential problem IMO...

Reuben that simply is not true. Problems can occur in the very first cross. Like I said I'm not a scientist but I have read several articles on this subject written by scientist that studied the DNA genetic make up of Line bred (in bred ) dogs. And yes I said dogs not humans. DNA genetic make up is now with modern technology easily studied. Let's say the sire has a bad gene for feet problems. Since he only has one of those genes he has no feet problems and it's never an issue in his life time. Now his niece has the very same gene because she inherited it from him. It's never a problem for her either because she only has one gene. Now you bred these two and the pups have two of these genes and at let's say two years of age they develop feet problems. The breeder says I don't understand it neither the sire or the mother ever had feet problems. Well that's because they only had one bad gene and the pups now have Two. The more inbreeding that's done the more it compounds the bad gene problem and the more it shows up.
There are several well written articles about this for dogs. Make sure your reading articles written by DNA genetic scientist and not an opinion article written from a breeder. Like I say if you read the fact's it's very concerning. P.S. This is the same reason the breeder in-bred from the start. They were trying to double up on the good traits they liked. What they didn't know is they also double every bad gene the dogs had. That's were the problems begin because the original dogs only had one of those bad genes and it never caused either one sire or dam any problems and is totally unknown to the common breeder until it's too late. I personally believe this is why we have dog's that pace the kennel non stop and stomp in there own sh?? and have it all over the kennel. I also think if you look at the conformation of a lot of hounds today they don't come close to resembling the conformation of hounds of yesterday. There are just a few bloodlines left that resemble the hounds of yesterday.

Last edited by BuckeyeBoys on 07-02-2020 at 06:31 PM

Old Post 07-02-2020 05:59 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Buckeyeboys,

The way I see it...it is faster to get rid of the bad when breeding within the family...take out those dogs from the breeding program that exhibit those traits...

Those problems also arise from breeding unrelated dogs...

In the wild the coyote born with certain bad traits will not survive to breed...Mother Nature is hard...we just don’t see it but hunger and disease will take them out of the gene pool...

Old Post 07-02-2020 07:14 PM
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

Rueben the problem with idea just like the feet problem I used as an example it can't be seen until it's too late, and if you keep breeding that same family the bad gene goes from 2 to four to 8 and so on. It don't get better and you can't remove it. That's why out crossing is different. It's a lot more rare for two different blood lines to have the same bad gene. Therefor in a out cross your not compounding the gene. A bad gene can't be seen by the naked eye thank God. LOL Also unlike the wild, coon hunters keep breeding them over and over. If you don't believe me watch the finals of the $6500 dollar entry fee Ohio Pro hunt in the other KC.
One mans dog barked in the truck and all the way to the woods while on the leash, then babbled all the way to the woods when cut loose. A guy that was there told me they heard the handler coming for over a mile away as his dog barked in the box all the way to the location. Now this is a dog that someone thought enough of to pay a $6500 fee to enter. Believe me when I tell you, I've killed em for a lot less then that.
Breeding is a crap shoot at best, but Science says your asking for trouble with in-breeding. There proving this more and more each day. Let me put it to you this way. We use DNA and a person's genetic make up to convict a person of a crime and send them to prison for life and society accepts this, but for some reason coon hunters won't believe what scientist have discovered about the negatives with in-breeding. Now I don't believe everything a scientist says but when your talking genetics I do believe they know what they are talking about. They proven it over and over with plants and animals.

Old Post 07-02-2020 08:10 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: bc

quote:
Originally posted by J. Pinson
I'm sure BC will do his part when its all said and done but for heavens sake I wished bluetick people would quit "linebreeding" I've hunted blueticks for over 10 years for the most part and just about every cross you see is linebred, if im looking for a pup and I see linebred I just keep looking!! An outcross wouldn't hurt IMO

Jealousy has hurt the Bluetick breed more than Walkers have....lol
If it don't have 'their' ole' slow and slow in ped 5-10x they don't want it or won't breed to it.
Big Country is the best bluetick in years!!
I don't hunt or own a Bluetick......Tried a few,but I'd sure like to own BC

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 07-02-2020 08:51 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Big County

Traye, make the cross that you think will work for you, the rest is opinions and speculations which is worth 25 cents every time you make a cross it's a gamble go for it and good luck to you......

Old Post 07-02-2020 09:00 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

cross

Uncle x niece crosses work well alot of the time.. If her dominate traits are simular to BC go for it.. If she is opposite of him trait wise it may be more of a crap shoot..

Old Post 07-02-2020 09:26 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

4play

Excellent post, I would sure like to own BC or anything even close to him. John owning him is a blessing for the bluetick breed and the crossbreeds, I think you will see some excellent dogs show up out of BC. Dave

Old Post 07-02-2020 11:44 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

4play

Double post. Sorry

Old Post 07-02-2020 11:45 PM
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

Trey Doug and I owned old Sadie . I did not line breed Dizzie but Trudy is off Sadie X Boomer I bread her to Bo. and did well . I bread her to Big Country and I have a very nice female off that cross. I.M.O. if it goes back to old Sadie I would breed her to something that went back to old sadie. I have NEVER line bread before Trudy but it worked!!

Old Post 07-02-2020 11:59 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Trey

What Mark V told you should help you make the right choice, breeding to BC should get something extra special. Dave

Old Post 07-03-2020 12:46 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Well I am not speculating!! Hunted with bodacious many nights bottom line he was a blow deep hard to control pain in the butt. I have hunted with 3 big country pups that sure didn’t take after their daddy that’s for sure. This cross is doubled up more of a handful than most part time coonhunters can handle.

Anouther truth pill.

Tar

Old Post 07-03-2020 01:10 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote