UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rule Change Proposals 2022
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rule Change Proposals 2022

2022 Rule Change Proposals
1. Allow the use of thermal imaging devices, cell
phone cameras, and mirrors as scoring aids.
2. Change and combine rules for Dogs Treeing
but Not Declared Treeing to receive the same
demerit, regardless of how the tree is scored. The
recommendation from the proposal is to minus the
strike points and to not assign any additional tree
points in any circumstance.
3. Change Rule 4(b) to read, Strike points will be minus
if none of the declared struck dogs open within 6
minutes. The 6 minutes is a change from the 8
minutes the rule currently requires.
4. Alter the tree countdown to read that the 2nd tree
position closes after 30 seconds, 3rd tree position
closes after 1 minute.
5. Alter Rule 11(d), taking out the stipulation that
you must hear a struck or treed dog open before
recasting.
6. Add the definition of the “implied scratch rule” to
Section 6.
7. Remove the 1st offense Warning from Rule 2(a) for
handlers not striking their dog on or before the 3rd
bark.
8. Remove the 1st offense Warning from Rule 2(d) for
handlers calling the wrong dog.
9. Put a time limit on handlers recasting their dogs
after pulling them off a scoring situation. Give them
up to one minute to recast their dog, or if other
dog in cast is declared treed, up to one minute to
utilize their option to keep their dog on leash until
the next opportunity to recast arises.
10. In any category, a dog to accrue 200 minus points
(regardless of pending strike/tree points) for
running, treeing, or molesting off game. (Off game
must still be seen)

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-30-2022 02:26 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Cheyenne's opinion on change proposals...
#1👍good with this change if a dog trees a coon you should do everything you can to find it and score it. (He is not against keeping all cast members together if this were to change)
#2👍minus them their strike. Dog/ handler need to be held accountable always. Consistency in what to do would be easier for those who maybe newer to the sport too.
#3 👎 leave it alone the 8 minutes is fine.
#4 👎 leave it alone. Just like #3. No need to make them the same as the Blue Book. All their getting after 2 minutes is 25 points anyway.
#5 👎👎👎NO!! Those dogs need to be held accountable for their strike. Leave this rule as it is.
#6 👍Yes, include the definition.
#7 👎 Leave as is. As a judge you should be able to say I need a call then if they don't give you a call they should be held accountable.
#8 👍Yes change it back. This one shouldn't have changed last time.
#9 👍sounds good! It needs a time he doesn't care how long the time is as long as it is defined.
#10 👎 leave this rule as is don't change to proposed.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-30-2022 03:11 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

1. Allow the use of thermal imaging devices,as scoring aid.

NOPE !!!

Everything getting too high tech.
So the guy that can afford a 1000 thermal image device will endeavor to find every coon his dog has treed
While the poor country boy is on his own on most trees

Don't think so....?
How many times has the guy winning a cast sat back and "PRETENDED" to shine a tree or not shined at all because if this coon is scored he will lose the cast ?

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 06-30-2022 01:27 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My question with the thermal is are we going to make it the end-all? If no "hot spot" is seen are we still going to say he could be there let's circle it, or will no "hot spot" be a definite minus?

Old Post 06-30-2022 03:36 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
My question with the thermal is are we going to make it the end-all? If no "hot spot" is seen are we still going to say he could be there let's circle it, or will no "hot spot" be a definite minus?

That will never be a rule, I'd bet the farm on it.

Old Post 06-30-2022 10:27 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadinc
My question with the thermal is are we going to make it the end-all? If no "hot spot" is seen are we still going to say he could be there let's circle it, or will no "hot spot" be a definite minus? [/QUOTE

If you've used a Thermal you know the answer to that question. They don't find every coon. They are an aid to find some coon that you can't see or won't look.

Old Post 06-30-2022 11:24 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Ttt

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-13-2022 05:29 PM
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

fool proof

is it not true the a possum will show you a hot spot , or a squirrel, turkey , owl..

Old Post 07-14-2022 07:41 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: fool proof

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
is it not true the a possum will show you a hot spot , or a squirrel, turkey , owl..

All of that is true, but you must visibly see the coon just like finding one and seeing it without a thermal. Just an aide to help you locate the area one might be in. Then you must still see it with your own two eyes

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 07-14-2022 02:15 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: fool proof

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl

Is it not true that a possum will show you eyes in a tree, or a squirrel, turkey, etc...?

Some common sense here- people don't need to fear the thermal. It provides an indication as to where you should look for the coon. The rule, or ideal, that you must see and confirm a coon has not been suggested to change. This is a tool that will help us find coons in shorter time.

It does not replace the fact that you have to see the coon to confirm it is in the tree.

In my profession of law enforcement we get to take certain actions based on reasonable suspicion. Say a drug detection K9 indicates that it smells the odor of drugs around a car, in a parking lot of several cars.

- I now can say... this is the car I should search. I can't take someone to jail because the dog indicated- but I can use that information to narrow my search. If I then do find drugs in the car- I have confirmed with my eyes the fact that drugs were in the car. Now I have more than a reasonable suspicion- I now have probable cause and can make an arrest not because the dog indicated... but because of the dog's indication I looked and confirmed the actual presence.

In the same way the thermal image gives the hunter, or cast, a strong reasonable suspicion as to where they should be looking. They can't take further action (scoring it) until they have confirmed a coon is in the tree or not.

Old Post 07-14-2022 03:44 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Re: Re: fool proof

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
Is it not true that a possum will show you eyes in a tree, or a squirrel, turkey, etc...?

Some common sense here- people don't need to fear the thermal. It provides an indication as to where you should look for the coon. The rule, or ideal, that you must see and confirm a coon has not been suggested to change. This is a tool that will help us find coons in shorter time.

It does not replace the fact that you have to see the coon to confirm it is in the tree.

In my profession of law enforcement we get to take certain actions based on reasonable suspicion. Say a drug detection K9 indicates that it smells the odor of drugs around a car, in a parking lot of several cars.

- I now can say... this is the car I should search. I can't take someone to jail because the dog indicated- but I can use that information to narrow my search. If I then do find drugs in the car- I have confirmed with my eyes the fact that drugs were in the car. Now I have more than a reasonable suspicion- I now have probable cause and can make an arrest not because the dog indicated... but because of the dog's indication I looked and confirmed the actual presence.

In the same way the thermal image gives the hunter, or cast, a strong reasonable suspicion as to where they should be looking. They can't take further action (scoring it) until they have confirmed a coon is in the tree or not.

Great way of explaining it sir. Thank you.

Old Post 07-14-2022 04:15 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

With technology progressing the way it does, soon there won't be any need to hone your skills as a handler. We can just all sit in a club house and see the dogs on a big screen. No need to strike, tree or know how to shine a tree. I miss the old days. The handler skill is not far from being unneeded.

Old Post 07-14-2022 05:48 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Lance I would love it if the sport progressed to where it only was truly judging the dog's and what they were doing and "handling skill" was taken out of it all together.

I know I'm in the minority; however, I feel the best thing for the sport is to strive for events that judge dogs on what dogs are doing- not this idea of rewarding handlers for knowing and manipulating strategies for rules. I acknowledge this is part of the sport now- but think we should try to move away from it.

Technology should be embraced, not feared. Why not have every dog wearing a dogtra collar synched to the judges phone so he could see if the handlers are calling the right dog or not? Why not let the judge see on a screen if a dog has actually moved or not after being called treed? Why not use a thermal to speed up locating a coon in a tree?

The first KC that creates an app where a judge can keep score... and finalize a digital score-cared that gets uploaded to the KC's website for all to see automatically will experience great growth.

Last edited by houndsound on 07-14-2022 at 05:57 PM

Old Post 07-14-2022 05:54 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

If we had some technology that would show/prove wether the coon was there are not, I bet we'd have more accurate tree dogs. But there would still be the guy saying I'm sure he's up there, see how hard my dog is treeing. I'm all for technology in coon hunting if we wind up with better dogs.

Old Post 07-14-2022 11:37 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound,
I'm just an old country boy and not as smart as some, but I reckon I will respectfully disagree. The comp hunts and coon hunting in general is all about having fun to me. When they take the human element out of it I'm done with it. I love the excitement of calling my dog for what I think it is doing, I love the excitement of the good breaks and the bad breaks in a hunt. Some times you walk away from a tree knowing it is there, but that is part of it. I like to see the best dog win, but it is team work between the dog and handler. Some times I miss a call and ole blooper has to make up for it, that makes the win so much better. When we take the human element out of it there will be no excitement, stomach gitters or rush of adrenaline of making a call and thats when I'm done with it. We need to lose a few we should have won to appreciate the ones we win. When I pay my entry I am paying for the whole experience of competing. Have fun and keep on coonhunting!

Last edited by Lance Laymon on 07-15-2022 at 02:42 PM

Old Post 07-15-2022 02:26 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Great post Lance- your disagreement is taken in full respect. Like I said- I know I'm in the minority... I also am in the minority in wanting MLB to use technology to call balls and strikes perfectly every time. I'm a real novice at competition hunts anyway, and won't pretend to be an expert. Pleasure hunter at heart!

For the sake of discussion- how do you feel about squallars being used to help find a coon? It is also a piece of technology... wouldn't most arguments against using technology to advance the accuracy of the hunts have applied to using squallers back in the day? Just something to think about for perspective. Thanks for the good discussion.

Old Post 07-15-2022 05:50 PM
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

I dont use squallers, just use my mouth. Squalling involves human skill and practice though so that would be part of the handler skill set. But if you can remember a time when they didn't use them you are a lot older than me. Lol! I do remember some clubs having squalling contests in the past with just your mouth.

Old Post 07-15-2022 06:48 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

Why bother with a rule change? There are guys in my area already secretively using them to help tell the cast where to look ...... FACT!!!

Why even bother finding the coon.
You PKC guys are so bent on conforming UKC to their style rules .
CAST WINNERS WITH CIRCLE POINTS......... YIPPEEE

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 07-18-2022 at 10:48 PM

Old Post 07-18-2022 10:33 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Now now Mark, be nice.

Old Post 07-19-2022 01:13 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMiller
UKC Forum Member

thermals

Just a little food for thought. I don't know how the Conservation--Game and Fish laws read in other states but in Alabama it says that it is unlawful to possess any equipment that uses electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark(night vision equipment) while hunting any species of wildlife. So until that has been changed or clarified at least in Alabama hunters need to be aware. That can be found in 220-2-.02 section(e) of Alabama Regulations.

Old Post 07-19-2022 05:24 PM
JMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMiller Click here to Send JMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email JMiller Find more posts by JMiller Add JMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Re: thermals

quote:
Originally posted by JMiller
Just a little food for thought. I don't know how the Conservation--Game and Fish laws read in other states but in Alabama it says that it is unlawful to possess any equipment that uses electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark(night vision equipment) while hunting any species of wildlife. So until that has been changed or clarified at least in Alabama hunters need to be aware. That can be found in 220-2-.02 section(e) of Alabama Regulations.

Unless you all are carry a rifle on a cast, dont see how that would ever apply

Old Post 07-19-2022 10:28 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound, If a judge had to do all you wrote they wouldn't have time to run a dog themselves. There is no chance you could have non- hunting judges at hunts. Not trying to be smart it's my opinion. In all the years I've been a MOH it's hard to find judge that know the rules good enough. I hunted back in the day that NT CH cast had to have a non- hunting judge, worst judging most judges at that time weren't comp. hunters. I'll leave it right there.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 07-20-2022 06:56 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Bob, I don't think I indicated anything the judge is not already doing? The judge is already paying attention to where a dog is at when it opens- and trees, if it moves or not. The judge is already keeping score? The judge is already looking for a coon in the tree?

Everything I had theorized about was a way to make those things easier for the judge, more accurate, and faster.

Old Post 07-20-2022 07:00 PM
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

#1 don’t care, if passed keep all cast members together.
#2 no, keep as is.
#3 no, keep as is
#4 no, keep as is
#5 no, keep as is
#6 yes
#7 no, keep as is
#8 don’t care either way
#9 yes
#10 no, keep as is. It’s a coon hunt

I don’t believe we will see more plus trees with thermals. JMO

Old Post 07-21-2022 04:04 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
#1 don’t care, if passed keep all cast members together.
#2 no, keep as is.
#3 no, keep as is
#4 no, keep as is
#5 no, keep as is
#6 yes
#7 no, keep as is
#8 don’t care either way
#9 yes
#10 no, keep as is. It’s a coon hunt

I don’t believe we will see more plus trees with thermals. JMO

Your opinions on changes pretty much line up with Chey's and many others we've talked to.
Looks like most here are just voicing opinions on the thermal use and ignoring the other 9 proposals. The people who hunt in many hunts should be thinking on these others and their affects on nite hunts.
For every yes or know he has he has reasoning behind it.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-22-2022 07:18 AM