UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Need help or advice
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vatreedawg
UKC Forum Member

Need help or advice

60 years old been hunting a long time. Don't do a lot of summer hunting, snakes, bugs etc. Just had major surgery and hope to hit the woods the end of June. I bought a new dog. Need to work him. The question is anybody know of a small thermal that will reliably find a coon in a tree. I bought one couple years ago you cAn barely see a dog in his pen. If you have proved one in the woods please let me know brand where to buy etc. Post reply or call or text. Thanks 757 620 1817

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-03-2022 07:53 PM
Vatreedawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vatreedawg Click here to Send Vatreedawg a Private Message Find more posts by Vatreedawg Add Vatreedawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vatreedawg
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Btt

Old Post 07-02-2022 11:42 PM
Vatreedawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vatreedawg Click here to Send Vatreedawg a Private Message Find more posts by Vatreedawg Add Vatreedawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

I have had both the AGM TM25 and TM15. Don't think they make the 25 anymore. Both work pretty well. There is a learning curve as to settings and how to look for a coon. One thing I have trouble with is looking too quickly and expecting the hot spot to just jump out at me. Slower more methodical search works better. Also the more you use it the easier it becomes to tell just a hot spot of bark from a coon. They are not an end all deal. There will be coon up there that you can't find with them that might eventually look at you but they are a tool that will help you find more coon. Call Conkeys Outdoors. Bruce uses them and will tell you what you need to know.

Old Post 07-03-2022 02:44 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

https://conkeysoutdoors.com/blogs/c...ut-this-thermal

Old Post 07-03-2022 06:47 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vatreedawg
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Some one replied before and I didn't act quick enough and it disappeared. I have heard good on the 15, 19 and 25. I understand the 25 is no longer available. I will probably go for the 19 in next couple of weeks. However it is something to think on. I have found most in my life with red lense and a squaller. Just trying to help my old back out trying to work a young dog. Tried to buy a broke one and couldn't find one. Thanks

Old Post 07-03-2022 07:16 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My hunting buddy has a 15. It's phenomenal. Even in the heat and thickness this far south, it finds the coon. From what I've seen if he's on the outside, you'll find him.

Old Post 07-04-2022 12:03 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
My hunting buddy has a 15. It's phenomenal. Even in the heat and thickness this far south, it finds the coon. From what I've seen if he's on the outside, you'll find him.

Donald I also use the 15 and like it well but I make some trees where it's just not possible to look at the tree. Maybe see one side and on the other side it's a bluff or something. On those trees I think it's quite possible to not find a coon that is there. I have actually seen an eye thru a small hole in the leaves where the thermal wouldn't pick it up but that is rare.

Old Post 07-04-2022 12:37 AM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote