UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > mean dog
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sscace
UKC Forum Member

mean dog

Band him and pleasure hunt him

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-26-2020 01:14 AM
sscace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sscace Click here to Send sscace a Private Message Click Here to Email sscace Find more posts by sscace Add sscace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mean dog

Could be a female you know. Lol. That's all they are fit fo r pleasure hunting alone. Dave

Old Post 05-26-2020 01:42 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Mean Dogs

Heck half these dogs now are so mean people can’t even get there pictures taken in the hunts. Can’t ride them together inboxes. We can’t feed none of them together. There are so many dogs that are meaner than ____ and they don’t even have to get to the tree. Need to just cull them all. None of these dogs would make good guard dogs but they are alligators.

So if a dog will sit there and try and kill everything around it ,while it’s eating, lining up to take pictures, in there kennel or dog box, but not do that while it’s treed is not mean?

I will guarantee you you if you took the last 10 world ch males put them in a 1/2 acre fenced in yard and let them go and walk away within a minute or two you would have a dog fight if they didn’t know each other. But if you let them all go at night to hunt they want. So are they mean?

Old Post 05-26-2020 05:31 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Williams

It is just what you let them get away with, if you are the Alpha and stop any aggression food, loading, etc. You won't have a problem, it's when folks condone such behavior that it becomes a problem. Dave

Old Post 05-26-2020 05:49 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Dave I agree with you to a point, but here are, and I owned one, that there was no breaking him in any way. Given the chance, he would fight. He just plain loved it. He would rather fight than eat. Kept him lock up in cyclone fence kennels alone and he tore a hole at the bottom of the fence to get into the pen next to his and killed another dog I had in there. OOPS, I was wrong...they can be broke. He can fight all he wants in the place he is at now. Sure is quite with him gone. Mean dogs have no place in the sport or in my pens.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 05-26-2020 12:38 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

If you have a fightin dog, fast horse, or a good lookin wife. You had better be able to fight too.

Old Post 05-26-2020 01:46 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rock

I like your cure when all else fails. Dave

Old Post 05-26-2020 07:15 PM
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

Most of these deep and lonely dogs will fight that’s why they are man made lonely . Owners don’t have the stones to cull . Let a dog cover them and you will see . The handlers pride themselves on it . Cover late get ate . We have what we accept . I have a $10000 bone pile at the back of the place . I don’t have to cull much any more only 1 this year and it was just a pen barker . I’m pretty easy to get along with until I draw a fangster. Why would anyone want to be associated with one .

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 05-28-2020 02:39 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr. Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
It is just what you let them get away with, if you are the Alpha and stop any aggression food, loading, etc. You won't have a problem, it's when folks condone such behavior that it becomes a problem. Dave

Yep, the same goes with this...if adults cannot get respect from their children for dang sure they won’t be able to control their hunting dog...

Old Post 05-28-2020 05:22 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Knuckols
Most of these deep and lonely dogs will fight that’s why they are man made lonely . Owners don’t have the stones to cull . Let a dog cover them and you will see . The handlers pride themselves on it . Cover late get ate . We have what we accept . I have a $10000 bone pile at the back of the place . I don’t have to cull much any more only 1 this year and it was just a pen barker . I’m pretty easy to get along with until I draw a fangster. Why would anyone want to be associated with one .

People wonder why participation in hunts are down and were not drawing new participants. People get on these message boards and see statements like these. They read this and think every dog they draw that’s deep and alone is some mean son of a gun. The truth of the matter is yes that occasionly you will draw a rough dog but, that is the exception no the rule. The majority of the casts will not have to deal with that.

Old Post 05-29-2020 12:54 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Stuff

There's a lot of stuff posted on this board that need to be taken with a grain of salt.........

Old Post 05-29-2020 01:10 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
People wonder why participation in hunts are down and were not drawing new participants. People get on these message boards and see statements like these. They read this and think every dog they draw that’s deep and alone is some mean son of a gun. The truth of the matter is yes that occasionly you will draw a rough dog but, that is the exception no the rule. The majority of the casts will not have to deal with that.

I have not had an actual knock down drag out dog fight in a cast in 6 years.

Most of the people commenting here have probably never seen one that is actually mean.

Old Post 05-30-2020 01:33 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

Most of the people commenting here have probably never seen one that is actually mean.

Over 40 years I can count the mean dogs I seen on my fingers.

And they were rumblen when We got there because one of them wasent putting up with it lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-30-2020 02:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

all the mean dogs belong to someone else. except yours and mine,,,,,,and I ain`t sure about yours ?and mine is not mean,,,,he just won`t take no sh-t .

Old Post 05-30-2020 03:44 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

I'm lucky that the Male I own right now will just back up and sit on his butt and tree if the tree gets too crowded. He backed some dogs the other night and was sitting 10 or 15 yards away from tree treeing on his butt.

I've only seen one fight during a competition hunt and it was unavoidable. One dog was treed in a tree that leaned over a creek and was in the tree. Handler hollered and dog came running down the tree and plowed right into another Male dog and they went to rolling lol.

I don't care for a mean dog. I've handled some that were 'touchy' or 'light broke' and it's not my cup of tea. I already have enough to worry about without having to worry about getting scratched for fighting.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 05-30-2020 05:27 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mhardy
all the mean dogs belong to someone else. except yours and mine,,,,,,and I ain`t sure about yours ?and mine is not mean,,,,he just won`t take no sh-t .

I like 65 lb. males built like athletes...just big enough to defend themselves and finish it if needed...

Preferably...I want them to mind their own business...

Old Post 05-30-2020 05:32 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I like 65 lb. males built like athletes...just big enough to defend themselves and finish it if needed...

Preferably...I want them to mind their own business...

Even with a saber toothed rinohipmasorusrex ?

Tar

Old Post 05-30-2020 07:31 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tar...all except for rinohipmasorusrex and toy poodles...

Old Post 05-31-2020 03:48 AM
haymaker32
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Bingo!!!!!!!! They have no idea what a mean dog is lol they aren’t very many of what I’d call a mean dog around !

Old Post 05-31-2020 04:52 PM
haymaker32 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for haymaker32 Click here to Send haymaker32 a Private Message Click Here to Email haymaker32 Find more posts by haymaker32 Add haymaker32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have seen several knock down drag out fights in the past several years in the hunts. It's not even a surprise that they didn't want scratched. Some of them wasn't scratched. Now For it to be a fight that bad both dogs have to engage in the fight. There are plenty of ill temperament dog that doesn't get to that degree of fighting because the other dogs in the cast back down.

Old Post 06-01-2020 01:35 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:

quote:

Over 40 years I can count the mean dogs I seen on my fingers.

That’s my point there about as common as all the 90% dogs.

Old Post 06-01-2020 02:42 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I have seen several knock down drag out fights in the past several years in the hunts.

Last time I seen that many fights it was because I was packing a dog that started fights all the time.

Old Post 06-01-2020 02:13 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Last time I seen that many fights it was because I was packing a dog that started fights all the time.
I have owned a couple dogs over the years that have been scratched. I have put some in the ground. I don't have an issue calling a spade a spade. The last time I have seen a dog get scratched and wrote up was about 2 months ago. It wasn't my dog but my son was handling 1 of the dogs that was rolling. The other dog was not scratched and the very next hunt the owner of that dog didn't recall anything about that cast. Of coarse his cast didn't go as planned again during this hunt so him and the other dog withdrew after a small scrap. They do still plan on finishing there dog to gr nt and getting there 5 wins for the big hunt.
It is part of the sport. I wish it wasn't. I won't tolerate a dog with a bad attitude. Many will. Many will deni there dogs actions. I call it like I see it. If your going to raise own and train coonhounds your eventually going to have a mean dog. Now your faced with a choice.
I have paid plenty for pups. Paid for hauling. Raised them put in countless months of hunting after there around 6 months on up and buy the time there 2 be raising daisies. It's stinks but it happens.

Old Post 06-02-2020 02:44 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

What I've noticed is people saying a dog fight is shoving and jockeying for the tree. And a few face barks warning the other dog. Or a jacking dog. I can count very few actual mean dogs I've seen on a few fingers. House dogs on the other hand I've seen a bunch that were mean in every way.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 06-04-2020 02:23 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Is a "mean" dog just one that provokes a fight or also one that will fight when provoked?

Dog A gets treed by himself. Dog B comes in and a fight breaks out. Now did Dog B try to run Dog A off or did Dog A not want to let Dog B on his tree? Is only one of them "mean" or are both of them "mean"? How do you tell which one was the aggressor? Do both deserve to get scratched?

UKC rules now say that you have to see a fight in order to scratch dogs for fighting or aggressive behavior. How long will it be before you have to see how the fight started before you can scratch a dog? Will that be the next rule change?

Should only "mean" dogs get scratched or should all dogs that will fight get scratched for fighting?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-04-2020 at 02:12 PM

Old Post 06-04-2020 02:06 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote