UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Southern Bluetick Kennel
Pages (82): « First ... « 79 80 [81] 82 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I agree for sure. They gotta be in the woods.

Ryan and I went for a couple of drops last night. We cut Goose up the luxapillila creek. He struck a bad track and opened here and there and drifted out. He crossed the creek and loaded up treed. He had the meat and I petted him on the head and we headed to the truck. Next drop we cut Spanky. He left hard and struck and treed at about 450yds. He was up a smaller tree that ran into a large dead pine tree. Ryan thought he saw a coon but I never saw one. There was corn thrown all around for deer. We got a late start and decided to call it a night. Y'all keep'em Lookin' UP!!

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-30-2020 12:57 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I hunted by myself Saturday night. Ryan took Spanky to a UKC hunt and got another win on him. I cut Cotton and a pup loose on first drop. Pup is 7mths old and hasn't been hunted. He acted really interested. Cotton struck a bad track but moved it out good. I soon heard the pup open a few times and sounded treed the opposite way. I went to him and Cotton treed deep the other way at about the same time. Rim is the pups name and he had bayed a possum on the ground. I leashed him and headed to cotton. Cotton was on a huge den tree. I moved and cut Goose alone and he struck at 400yds and started drifting a track. He worked about 400yds more and loaded up treed. I let Rim out of the box and he headed to Goose. Goose had a coon and I rolled it out to the pup and he was pretty gritty on the coon. I gave it to Goose for a few minutes and we headed to the truck. The last drop I cut Goose in a heavily hunted area and he left hard. I had to drive to him as he was over a mile away. I caught him coming up a small creek and called it a night. I've been hunting him alone for the past couple of weeks getting ready for the winter Classic. He had looked good so we shall see. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-03-2020 09:39 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Ryan and I hunted for a while last night. First drop we cut spanky and my Rim pup in some hardwood hills. Spanky has a mind of his own and usually goes the way we don't want him to go. He did and we drove around and caught them up. We recut him and he did same thing and got around some houses. We ended up driving again and catching him coming up a ditch. We moved and cut Goose and Dolly. Dolly struck and soon treed at about 150yds. She was slick and Ryan scolded her and sent her on up the bottom. Goose opened a few times and was working towards the creek. Dolly soon treed again up a bay tree. I don't think she had a coon again. She was tree happy for some reason tonight lol. Goose had crossed the creek and soon loaded up treed at about 600yds. We got to him and he had the meat. I petted him on the head and we called it a night. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-04-2020 01:51 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNTS

Ive been so busy that I haven't had time to post much the past couple of weeks. We just got finished with basketball and Ive been trying to hunt as much as I can to be ready for the winter classic. Rain has put a damper on our hunting a lot lately and all my bottoms are flooded out. Hope to see some of you at the winter classic this weekend. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' UP!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-11-2020 12:56 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Winter Classic

I had an eventful weekend at the Winter Classic. I want to thank the staff and employees of UKC for their time away from their families to make this event work. I hunted Goose Friday night and he just didn't look like Goose. He did get deep and get a coon treed but didn't do it in his usual fashion. I was winning the cast up until the last 10 minutes and all 3 of the other dogs went left and struck a hot short track and treed with the meat. Goose headed down another hollow and I caught him up after the hunt. Ryan did good with Spanky Friday night and won with 375+. He would have made the top 10 but Ryan made a bad call and cost him 125-. Saturday night Goose and I had a little conversation before the hunt and came to an understanding that he would operate like normal lol. Goose looked really good and I won the cast with 450+. I should have scored more but couldn't get strikes as he was deep and alone on 2 coons and got some of another and was also deep and alone on a huge den tree. I was pleased with his effort Saturday night. I ended up placing 10th in the champion division Saturday. I was happy that Spanky won his cast Friday night and Goose Saturday night Father and son with cast wins at the classic not too bad. My ford ranger blew out a head gasket Saturday night and had to get my sons to come with trailer and get it home so that was a little stressful 3 hours from home but all in all had a good time. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue S&H's Goose and NtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky at winter Classic.
Sire and Son with cast wins
Winter Classic by Darren Hollis, on Flickr

Ford Ranger getting towed home!!

Winter Classic by Darren Hollis, on Flickr

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Last edited by Darren Hollis on 02-17-2020 at 02:09 PM

Old Post 02-17-2020 02:07 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I got to hunt last night and went by myself. I cut Goose and a young male out of Floyd loose up a creek bottom. We have had so much rain everything is flooded. Goose hit it hard and loaded up treed on a lay up at about 350yds. Scout didn't tree with him and went on up the bottom. Goose had the meat and I rolled it out to him. I pulled him off and Scout was treeing at about 200 more yards. I got almost to him and he hushed. I cut off my light and he soon started treeing again. He was on a huge leaning tree that ran out over the creek. I found his coon and shot at it once. It ran out the tree over the creek and crossed out into another tree and came down. I chunked Scout across the creek and he lit out after him. He ran him a long ways but soon lost him as he crossed the deep creek several times. Next drop I cut them in the hills and Goose got deep quick. I heard him open at about 900yds and started drifting a track. He soon loaded up in a swamp at .75 and I headed to him. He had the meat again and Scout was there treeing some so I rolled it out and let Scout grease his lips a little bit. It had started raining and I got a late start so I called it a night. If it will quit raining I will be hunting tonight. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

first coon
Goose by Darren Hollis, on Flickr

2nd coon

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-20-2020 01:09 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

GOOSE at .75

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-20-2020 01:44 PM
townsendhpd
UKC Forum Member

Rim

Heard you have a young pup over there from
Terry. Hope he can cut the mustard. Haven’t heard how far along he is. Figured if he’s at least like the others in the litter he knows what a coon is and needs hunted.

Old Post 02-21-2020 07:17 PM
townsendhpd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for townsendhpd Click here to Send townsendhpd a Private Message Find more posts by townsendhpd Add townsendhpd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

PUP

Yeah I got one of them. He is definitely going to tree. He is coon crazy and goes hunting good. I don't like his mouth but hopefully it will change some with age. Time will tell.

Hunt
I took Goose up to the club Friday night to our slam event. It was a 1 hour hunt and I drew 2 walkers. Took 2nd strike on first drop and Goose went right and 2 walkers went left. Walkers both treed together and Goose loaded up right handed. I handled Goose and we headed to walkers. Male left and drew minus and gyp had a coon. Male split treed 150 yds on up bottom so we headed on to him. He was slick and drew minus both ways. We got to Goose and I found his coon pretty quick. We moved and recut. Walker gyp struck and opened 3 times and hushed. 8 caught her and she soon opened again and he struck her again. Goose opened left handed on the creek and struck in for 75. Goose soon loaded up and I treed him. We headed to him and the gyp treed deeper. Goose had a coon again and we leashed him and got to the gyp and she had a coon as well. Goose won cast with 400+ in an hour. Gone try to get 3 more cast wins on him for the tournament of champions. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-24-2020 02:31 PM
townsendhpd
UKC Forum Member

Good deal.

Hope he works out for you. I know your bar is set high on pups and dogs so glad you seem pleased with him so far.

Is he like a course bawl mouth? A lot of this litter seems to be that way. I know the male I kept is and the few females I’ve kept in contact with are like that. Thinking they picked that up from woody cause their momma is bawl on track with a few long bawl locates then settles in chopping on tree.

Old Post 02-24-2020 04:52 PM
townsendhpd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for townsendhpd Click here to Send townsendhpd a Private Message Find more posts by townsendhpd Add townsendhpd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

MOUTH

He has a really high pitched tenor type mouth and does a lot of squeaking and squalling right now.

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-24-2020 09:14 PM
townsendhpd
UKC Forum Member

Oh wow

Yeah that sounds totally opposite of what this one I kept has. I’ll send Ryan a message on Facebook of mine barking so can hear the difference in them.

Old Post 02-24-2020 09:50 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Ryan, Drake and I hunted last night. First drop we cut Goose and my Rim pup up a swampy creek bottom. Rim struck and was running something that Goose didn't want any part of and got out of dodge. Goose struck a track on the creek at about 300yds and worked up the creek and loaded up treed. Ryan found his coon and Rim was really cutting up on the other side of the creek. I walked in to see what he was doing and he had caught a possum on the ground. I leashed him up and headed to the truck. Next drop we cut Spanky and Scout loose up a small creek with some nice hardwood. Both dogs left hard and there was complete silence. Spanky finally struck deep but was struggling with the track. He finally loaded up treed and we made our way to him. He was up a huge cedar tree and we couldn't see his coon. He could or could not have had one. We called it a night and hopefully some of this rain is going to move out make for some better nights of hunting. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' UP!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-26-2020 01:41 PM
townsendhpd
UKC Forum Member

Rim

🤦🏼‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Not sure where they learned that from. His momma is 8 years old and I can’t remember a time she has ever messed with one. Least he took off and went hunting. The possum stuff can be fixed.

Old Post 02-26-2020 04:55 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

POSSUM

That stuff don't bother me at his age. His daddy has been known to get under one from time to time.

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 02-26-2020 08:41 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I hunted Thursday night. Goose got one treed in a den and we were able to see his coon. Spanky treed up a tree running into a pine tree and we didn't see his coon but could have been there. Saturday night Goose treed deep and alone and his tree ran into a den tree. Dolly got treed on next drop and I was a den as well. We have had some rough hunts lately as this sudden cold snap seems to have hurt coon movement. Getting a few treed but covering a lot of ground to do it. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' uP!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-02-2020 01:02 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

MY sons Garrett and Drake hunted with me last night for while. First drop we cut Spanky and Scout loose up a creek bottom. Coons didn't seem to be moving and dogs covered a lot of ground. Spanky crossed the creek and got loaded up treed. He was up a huge den tree and we didn't see his coon. Next drop we cut Goose, Scout and Rim up Luxapililla creek. Rim struck and was back and forth on a slough run but Goose had decided to stretch his legs. He got gone and got deep. Rim was struggling with his track and we finally decided to drive around as Goose was almost a mile away. I caught Rim and we drove around. Goose was treed with the meat at 1.5 from where we cut him. Scout was a little deeper and doesn't want to tree with another dog. Drake is about to hunt him alone on some feeders. I heard my pup out of Goose and Dolly barking yesterday down in my pup pen and went to see what the ruckus was about and he had a squirrel treed and man he is loud and classy tree dog. He is 5 months old and about to hit the woods. I call him Drifter and I have a feeling about him!! Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

Goose with meat by Darren Hollis, on Flickr

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-03-2020 01:16 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

MY sons Garrett and Drake hunted with me last night for while. First drop we cut Spanky and Scout loose up a creek bottom. Coons didn't seem to be moving and dogs covered a lot of ground. Spanky crossed the creek and got loaded up treed. He was up a huge den tree and we didn't see his coon. Next drop we cut Goose, Scout and Rim up Luxapililla creek. Rim struck and was back and forth on a slough run but Goose had decided to stretch his legs. He got gone and got deep. Rim was struggling with his track and we finally decided to drive around as Goose was almost a mile away. I caught Rim and we drove around. Goose was treed with the meat at 1.5 from where we cut him. Scout was a little deeper and doesn't want to tree with another dog. Drake is about to hunt him alone on some feeders. I heard my pup out of Goose and Dolly barking yesterday down in my pup pen and went to see what the ruckus was about and he had a squirrel treed and man he is loud and classy tree dog. He is 5 months old and about to hit the woods. I call him Drifter and I have a feeling about him!!
I have our NtCh Spanky dogs momma back here at Southern Bluetick Kennels. She is in heat now and will be bred to Goose as soon as she is ready!!
Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

Goose with meat by Darren Hollis, on Flickr

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Last edited by Darren Hollis on 03-03-2020 at 01:23 PM

Old Post 03-03-2020 01:16 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

We have been hunting some. Finally getting my ranger out of the shop today. It blew a head gasket at the winter classic and ended up with a cracked head. Had to purchase new heads for it and hopefully it is ready to roll. I bred Goose to my Pearls gyp this week. Pearls is the mother to our Spanky dog and to Keith and Grants Hank dog. Hopefully she has several pups as this was a good cross originally made by Keith. I will be hitting it hard this week if the weather allows. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-10-2020 01:10 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Drake , Garrett and myself hunted for a little while last night. I finally got my truck back from the shop but it ran like a tractor so it is going back today. First drop we cut Cotton, Goose and a pup out of Floyd loose in a swamp bottom. I had to have a cancer taken out of Cotton's bag and have her spayed so she has been stood up a bit. Cotton struck and Goose opened to the left of her. Cotton took her track about 500yds up the bottom and treed. We waded a lot of water and finally got to her up a huge cypress tree. I couldn't find her coon but he could or could not have been there. I pulled her off the tree and Goose was treed 700yds on up the bottom. I drove around and got within 250yds of him. He was treed in a cow lot that had a lot of soured corn laying around. He was up a huge poplar and I couldn't get the coon to look. I don't know if he had the meat or not but I didn't find him. My truck was running terrible so I decided to call it a night and call the mechanic. Going back today!! Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-11-2020 12:56 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

pup

Male Pup for Sale
I have a 10 month old male out of GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd x GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Cotton. I am over loaded and hate to sell him but I can't hunt all I have here. He is green and hasn't been fooled with much at all. I have worked with him on coming to me with a collar and he does good coming to you. I have worked him on a lead some and he is getting there. He will load and I have hunted him about 10 times. He goes hunting with dogs and I believe he will start pretty quick. He is a little curious around strangers for a few minutes but warms up quickly. He is paid up performance in UKC.
price is $350
contact Darren Hollis 205-412-2122

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-12-2020 09:31 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

We hunted for awhile last night. I took Cotton's staples out last Saturday and hunted her Monday night and last night. She always impresses me with her ability to come out of the pen and tree coons. First drop we cut Cotton and Drake cut Scout. Scout struck and Cotton opened quick and drove a track down the bottom. She soon let out a couple of dying bawls and rolled it over into that hard ringing chop. We made our about 400yds to the tree and Ryan spotted her coon pretty quick. We had a scorecard and Drake is getting ready to hit a few hunts for me so we decided to have a one hour hunt. I had GrNtChGrCh Goose, Ryan had NtCh Spanky and Drake handled GrNtChGrCh Cotton. Ryan judged the cast and we cut loose. Cotton opened at about 300yds and got 1st strike. She opened a few times and loaded up treed. Spanky opened and got 75 with a line under it. Goose opened left handed for 50 with a line. Spanky backed Cotton and treed in for 75. Cotton had the meat and the score was Cotton 225+ and Spanky 75+. Goose opened deep and they recut. Spanky struck back in for 75 and Goose loaded up treed. I treed him and we headed to his tree. We got to the tree and Spanky came in to the tree and was handled. Goose had 2 coons and we plussed him up. Spanky got minus on strike. Score was Cotton 225+ , Goose 175+ and Spanky 0. Cotton struck in for 100 and I we cut to her. Goose spun around and went other direction and struck for 75. Spanky soon opened for 50. Cotton worked a bad track and half way located and Drake put her on paper for 125. It soon became evident that he called her too quick and she moved on up the creek. She drew 125- . Score now Goose 175+ , Cotton 100+ and Spanky 0. Dogs were all now in 3 different spots. With 8 minutes left in hunt Cotton loaded up right at 600yds. Drake treed her and we headed her way. Ryan treed Spanky and the 2 caught him. With 5minutes left in hunt we are headed to Cotton and Spanky loads up and Ryan trees him again. I hear Goose tree and I tree him. Hunt is out and 3 trees left to score. Cotton has a coon and she is now winning with 325+. We head to Goose and he has a coon so he is now winning the cast with 375+. Spanky was up a huge tree and we didn't see his coon but circled him up. Hunt over!
Goose 375+
Cotton 325+
Spanky 125-

We had a good time and ole Cotton put on a show last night and should have won our hunt but handler error cost her and Drake. I would recommend getting a few scorecards from your local club and try a few of these friendly hunts if you know someone trying to get into competition hunting. It is great practice and a lot of fun. I am headed to a RQE this Saturday to see if I can get Goose qualified. I am also going to try to get ole Cotton qualified as well. Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-13-2020 01:25 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

I've been hunting some but not tearing up the woods. My hunting truck is back in the shop so its been frustrating. Hopefully I get it back soon. We had plans to hit the State Hunt but it was postponed so we will continue to get ready. I have bred Goose to my Pearl gyp which is the same cross as our Spanky dog. Hope to get several pups! Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up !!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-19-2020 01:05 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Garrett, Drake and I hunted for a while Friday night. We cut Goose, Cotton and my Drifter pup loose. Drifter is out of Goose and NtChCh Pr Southern Blue Dolly. He started treeing squirrels on his own and will blow the top out. He is 6 mths old. First drop Cotton struck followed by Goose and they started a good track. Drifter kept us company but really wanted to go to them when they struck. Cotton loaded up and Goose rolled on it with her. They had coon and I shot it out to them. Ole Drifter pulled some fur and I hung it up and he rolled up on it good. Loud and intense tree dog. No more hang ups for him and we bout to hit the timber hard with him. Next drop we cut again and Drifter went hunting. Cotton fell treed at about 300yds left handed and had a lay up coon. Goose ended up about 700yds left and loaded up treed. He was on a huge den tree. We called it a night and look forward to getting my truck back. Still without my truck and I is hindering my hunting!! Y'all Keep'em Lookin' Up!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-23-2020 02:25 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Ive been getting to hit the woods some but still without my hunting truck. The mechanics and I are having a heart to heart today. lol Hunted Saturday night, Goose got deep and got treed up a huge den. Scout backed him and treed pretty good. Drifter went hunting good and opened a some on track but didn't tree. He wanted to be by himself. We cut spanky and drifter next and they got deep but we ended up moving around and catching them up as storm was moving in on us. We will break curfew and hit it some this week!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-30-2020 12:47 PM