UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Showing Beagles
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mary
New UKC Forum Member

Showing Beagles

Would a Beagle showing in Agility/Obedience/Conformation be penalized or faulted if it's not used for hunting?

I grew up with Beagles, (my grandfather hunted) and would love to add one to my family in the future, but have no desire to hunt.

We currently show/breed GSD's and would like to do the same with the potential Beagle, but am not sure if a Beagle that doesn't hunt would be viewed differently or penalized?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-10-2014 01:14 AM
Mary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mary Click here to Send Mary a Private Message Click Here to Email Mary Find more posts by Mary Add Mary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

UKC has no "hunt" requirements when it comes showing beagles in Agility, Obedience or Conformation.

Any hunt requirements come into play only for Beagle Bench Shows.

Old Post 11-10-2014 02:55 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

Allen : Why does UKC have this restriction for beagle bench ? Have not been around coonhounds for a while , but I do not remember them haveing this restriction.

Old Post 11-10-2014 03:08 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mary
New UKC Forum Member

What is a Beagle Bench show? How does that differ from conformation? Is it the " total dog"?

Old Post 11-10-2014 03:37 PM
Mary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mary Click here to Send Mary a Private Message Click Here to Email Mary Find more posts by Mary Add Mary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TOUCHSTONEBEAGL
UKC Forum Member

UKC Hunting events that have field and show competitions are for hunting beagles. There is a hunt requirement. Obedience and agility performance events are not held at hunts.

Conformation at all-breed or multi-breed events do not have a requirement regarding hunt. Obedience and agility are held in conjunction with those conformation shows. The "Total Dog" recognition that you are probably referring to is an award offered at some events that have both show and obedience/agility/may include any of the performance events at conformation shows. A dog that does well in both a performance event and in the show may receive total dog recognition if the club offers the award.

Breeders in the hunting format who are attempting to develop Total Dogs are concerned with developing both excellent physical characteristics and excellent hunt instincts. In hunts the only obedience required are things that could effect the dogs performance in the hunt. To come when they are called, not run off game/deer,...

To find a pup that would excel in all-breed shows and the related performance events associated with them I recommend contacting several of the successful show breeders, both through AKC and UKC, to inquire about upcoming litters. You will need to get on the list for a great litter with proven show bloodlines on top and bottom of the pedigree. Start with excellence even if it means travelling a good distance for an exceptional pup. Not all the pups in the litter will be ideal show prospects. Show breeders are pretty good about evaluating physical structure in 7-8 week old pups. They will help you to select a pup for the show ring. By seven weeks you can see many physical strengths. Watch the puppy's motion on the ground and also watch for a pup that free stacks naturally. The pup you select should also be very bold and outgoing. That type of temperament will help greatly with obedience and agility training. You should contact some obedience and agility training facilities in your area to become familiar with training methods etc. When I showed the same beagles in both obedience and conformation I used different leads and collars for each venue so that the pup could easily distinguish which mode to be in. With the right training they can easily go directly from the obedience ring to the conformation ring with success in both. Dan M

Old Post 11-10-2014 05:59 PM
TOUCHSTONEBEAGL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Click here to Send TOUCHSTONEBEAGL a Private Message Click Here to Email TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Find more posts by TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Add TOUCHSTONEBEAGL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Albert Fulton
Allen : Why does UKC have this restriction for beagle bench ? Have not been around coonhounds for a while , but I do not remember them haveing this restriction.

Albert, that was a requirement implemented by those who started the program. I'm only assuming for the purpose of living up to program standards, total dog philosophy, and/or the name "Hunting Beagle"? I don't think it was ever a requirement in Coonhound Bench Shows either.

Mary,
A Beagle Bench Show is only slightly different in comparison to a Conformation Show. As you're familiar with; Conformation is judged solely on the ground. In bench shows dogs are judged on the ground for gait etc. etc... AND then placed on a bench for further evaluation and judging.

Old Post 11-10-2014 06:10 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Albert, that was a requirement implemented by those who started the program. I'm only assuming for the purpose of living up to program standards, total dog philosophy, and/or the name "Hunting Beagle"? I don't think it was ever a requirement in Coonhound Bench Shows either. .

Do you think letting coonhounds show without hunting has hurt the "hunting coonhound" ? 😄 You don,t need to reply , Allen. 😉

Old Post 11-11-2014 05:18 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote