UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Something wrong here
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ron Moore

Well spoken, by choosing and breeding for certain traits one can achieve a high degree of probability that trait will become consistent in the offspring. Some traits are recessive in nature and can only be consistent when both parents carry both genes for this trait. As long as they carry a dominant gene for another trait you will not get consistent results. Recessive genes can become consistent when both parents only carry both recessive genes insuring that the offspring will get both genes, one from each parent for that trait. Knowing what trait you want and what traits are dominant or recessive is vital to a consistent breeding program. Breeding a unproven animal that does not show the desired trait is foolish at best and can be a setback in your breeding program. Breeding animals that possess the desired trait and culling until you can get consistency for that trait is the only way you will ever make that trait dominant. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-11-2020 07:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. If you have a 3 generation pedigree with one unproven dog in there, it may pop up at anytime regardless of genetics. It's hard enough to get a good litter without adding unproven dogs into the equation. Wouldn't we rather look back into a pedigree and say, " I've hunted with all those fine hounds and they're capable hounds to carry on" instead of looking back and saying "that dog was never proven and some bad unwanted traits may pop up." I want to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible when I make a cross. I'm not saying that said dog couldn't or wouldn't reproduce good dogs but why take the chance. I'm not in this sport to make money, I'm in it to breed better quality coon hounds. If anyone wants to breed to unproven hounds, have at it but I want to better my chances with every cross, JMO.

What is a “Unproven Dog”? How can a dog be in a pedigree and still be “Unproven “? Now you may not like the dog but he/she has Proven they can produce good or bad in that pedigree.

Old Post 10-11-2020 09:18 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

Exactly, they can produce good or BAD. Unproven to me is one that does not exhibit the traits I desire. Simply breeding due to pedigree without seeing the desired traits in the animal being breed be it a horse, dog or whatever can get undesired traits in the offspring. Why breed an animal that does not exhibit the traits you desire, if they don't have these traits they can not pass them to the offspring. They may be carrying a recessive gene for the trait you desire, but be carrying a dominant gene that suppresses the desired trait. Recessive genes for a desired trait only appear if the offspring receive that gene from both parents, then the desired trait will show in those offspring getting the 2 recessive genes, 1 from each parent. It's better to breed an animal that show the desired trait you want at least you know that it has a gene for that trait. Recessive genes can be bred true only when both parents carry ONLY both genes for that particular trait.Breeding and culling those not showing the desired trait can eventually lead to both parents carrying both genes for the desired trait, whatever that trait may be, color, mouth, etc. Dave

Old Post 10-11-2020 09:56 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

My ? Was for Ron.
I understand everything you posted even practice it in my breeding but almost impossible to achieve. My ? Is how can a dog be in a bloodline an still be unproven, a dog male/female that is the result of a cross is unproven until bred.

Old Post 10-11-2020 10:10 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

I sure like what you are breeding, Hardwood Bean definitely put some dominant traits I like in his pups and still showing strong in his grandpups. Dave

Old Post 10-11-2020 10:33 PM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
My ? Was for Ron.
I understand everything you posted even practice it in my breeding but almost impossible to achieve. My ? Is how can a dog be in a bloodline an still be unproven, a dog male/female that is the result of a cross is unproven until bred.

Sorry, I should have been more specific on what I meant by unproven. What I was referring to was being unproven in the woods. To put it in another way, if you had 8 pups in a litter and all were hunted with the exception of one and that one was bred because of just its pedigree or its siblings, then that would be, (to me) "unproven" as a coon dog. I'm not saying that said dog wouldn't produce good hounds but what if you actually did get to hunt that one "unproven" dog and it turned out to be a substandard dog (by my standards) then that could prove to be the one weak link that may pop up down the road in a breeding program. There are a lot of unknowns in breeding coon hounds, that's why I like to do as much as possible, making a cross, to bend the odds in my favor. Again, I'm not saying that one "unproven" dog couldn't or wouldn't produce a good coon dog, just saying it could prove to be a week link in your breeding program further down the road. This is just my pet peeve and by no means am I pushing it towards anyone else. If anyone wants to breed an "unproven dog in the woods" by all means, help yourself, I'm not doing it. Also, I'm not hear to argue a point because we all have our own opinions/ideas on breeding coon hounds and this is just my opinion.....Thanks, Ron.

Old Post 10-12-2020 09:36 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
Sorry, I should have been more specific on what I meant by unproven. What I was referring to was being unproven in the woods. To put it in another way, if you had 8 pups in a litter and all were hunted with the exception of one and that one was bred because of just its pedigree or its siblings, then that would be, (to me) "unproven" as a coon dog. I'm not saying that said dog wouldn't produce good hounds but what if you actually did get to hunt that one "unproven" dog and it turned out to be a substandard dog (by my standards) then that could prove to be the one weak link that may pop up down the road in a breeding program. There are a lot of unknowns in breeding coon hounds, that's why I like to do as much as possible, making a cross, to bend the odds in my favor. Again, I'm not saying that one "unproven" dog couldn't or wouldn't produce a good coon dog, just saying it could prove to be a week link in your breeding program further down the road. This is just my pet peeve and by no means am I pushing it towards anyone else. If anyone wants to breed an "unproven dog in the woods" by all means, help yourself, I'm not doing it. Also, I'm not hear to argue a point because we all have our own opinions/ideas on breeding coon hounds and this is just my opinion.....Thanks, Ron.

There's a few different forms of "unproven" and your's a good one to choose. I agree on using the best female you can find just like you would a stud. Now there's also the "unproven" side on the paperwork side of things. There's always been and always will be dogs being titled and registered on false papers in all registries and kennel clubs.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-12-2020 11:05 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Just a view from a dumb hillbilly

But if I had to choose a dog out of a proven grand nite coondog that had been bred to three different proven coondogs and not reproduced nothing but fertilizer or chose from a hound that hadn't ever been out of the pen but had reproduced proven coondogs from every cross made on it. Well this hillbilly will go other dog throwing coondogs. And yes I've seen it happen just that way. Top female bred to different studs and nothing, female never stepped foot in the timber and reproducing awesome pups. I'm not saying I'd try any old mutt But if the rest of the littermates turned out and the blood is there I wouldn't just dismiss the dog as trash. If it's reproducing the traits I'm looking for it's got my attention. I base my breeding decisions on whether I think the cross will reproduce the hounds I'm looking for. Not on titles. On another post someone posted that none of the final 4 this year came from all grand peds, I didn't research it to see if that's true or not.

Old Post 10-12-2020 11:28 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote