UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Always looking
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Always looking

Am I the only one with this disease? Even though I have two nice dogs that both tree coon by themselves, I'm always looking for another dog. Been hunting since 1957 spent a lot of time with sorry dogs because I was always looking instead of taking a young dog and making him something. Bet I'm not the only one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-2021 12:51 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

Always want to try one from a different bloodline

Old Post 01-16-2021 12:57 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

Always trying to find one better than what I have 😂

Old Post 01-16-2021 01:48 AM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Always looking

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Am I the only one with this disease? Even though I have two nice dogs that both tree coon by themselves, I'm always looking for another dog. Been hunting since 1957 spent a lot of time with sorry dogs because I was always looking instead of taking a young dog and making him something. Bet I'm not the only one.

Tom, truth be told is that all of us want something better than what we have. It does not matter how good what we have is, we always want something better. Now, I do not see anything wrong with this just as long as we can enjoy what we do have. If nothing you have pleases you, you may have a problem. Wanting better is just a carrot we dangle in front of our donkey to make him keep going. Sometimes we may even find what we are looking for, it never hurts to try harder and keep an open mind knowing that there are better things than we have. Contentment just leads to us accepting things that may be okay when there are things much better out there. Enjoy what you have but keep your eyes open for something better. Good luck my friend. Dave

Old Post 01-16-2021 02:18 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

And sometimes I think I just get bored hunting the same dog.

Old Post 01-16-2021 02:35 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

For a long time I'd rather have new than good. Barely have time for either anymore.

Old Post 01-16-2021 04:48 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom the only thing that as cured me of this is old age. I have only had the bug for another dog bite me once in the past few months. That happened when HOBO asked on Facebook about what to breed one of his females to. Several said the Pack/Easy dog that John Dalton has. I have never seen either dog. But I understand what HOBO has and I am familiar with the Pack/Easy cross. I had to tape my fingers together to keep from typing HOBO. I would like to see this cross made and hear about many good things in the future from it.

Old Post 01-16-2021 02:11 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I know I have this issue but I also refuse to buy a trained dog so I keep trying to train a better pup. I enjoy training a new pup but I also know that I probably ain't going to train a better pup than the bitch and male that I currently have so I make sure I hunt them plenty and enjoy my hunting as much as possible.

Old Post 01-16-2021 02:18 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Think I might be completely cured if it wasn't for this internet, lol.

Old Post 01-16-2021 03:32 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm the exact opposite. I like to keep what I have. I have never, in 60 years, bought a trained dog. I enjoy starting a pup and when he gets consistent at treeing coons I can hunt him the rest of his life. I have hunted with very few dogs that I would have traded what I had for them.

Old Post 01-16-2021 04:44 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Shad, I went about 35 years and never purchased anything but pups, Then the past 20 years I have purchased 4 suppose to be coonhounds. I can truthfully say that none of them disappointed me.

Old Post 01-16-2021 04:54 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom Wood

Lol. Yes, the infamous internet gets to all of us at some time or another! Reminds me of some of the infamous dogs for sale ads in the mags over the years, some folks always had 4 or 5 top coon dogs for sale every month. Shucks, they never had 4 or 5 top coon dogs in their lifetime, much less every month. As one man once said, " paper will sit there and let you write anything you want on it, but it's NOT always the TRUTH." Now the funny part is that folks who are HONEST want to believe that what others say is the TRUTH, although we really know that's not always the case. Then again, no one wants to hear the bad about any dog they want to buy and if the seller is HONEST and tells everything both good and bad folks are disappointed. Myself, I want to know the truth good and bad before I even try the dog out, as I know they ALL have both good and bad. Some bad I can handle, some bad I can not handle. Dave

Old Post 01-16-2021 10:00 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I haven’t bought many grown dogs and have bought a few pups...

But my favorite way is having a well bred female I like and get her bred to a relative...sell or give away a few pups and hold on to 4 or 5 pups and by 10 months of age be down to 2 pups...had lots to clean up daily but it was worth doing it that way...I was young and had a pretty good bloodline going...

Not that long ago I tried the same method with a bloodline I heard was good and I wanted to try this blood so I bought an older female and bred to one of my males...the breeding didn’t please me so didn’t keep any...since then I met a man that breeds the same type of dog and bloodlines I like and we trade pups once in a while and have agreed to use each other’s stud dogs...

At 65 my fire doesn’t burn as bright as when I was 30...

Old Post 01-17-2021 10:02 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UKC Forum Member

I am the same way, I have sold many dogs that were better then what I bought after selling the original.
I too get bored with the same old dog and like something new. Or the little things I pick one to death. I have sold some real dogs to cheap just because I was ready to try a new dog.
Anymore it is getting harder to find one that suits me a little bit.
I told a guy I would sell my English meanwhile another guy is using him to run pups with.
I hope he don't sell however I did price him and I won't back out on my word.
The only thing I am not crazy about on him is he can get to deep for me, that will get one sold from my ownership real quick.

It is a disease.

Old Post 01-17-2021 03:15 PM
150 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 150 Click here to Send 150 a Private Message Click Here to Email 150 Find more posts by 150 Add 150 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I haven’t bought many grown dogs and have bought a few pups...

But my favorite way is having a well bred female I like and get her bred to a relative...sell or give away a few pups and hold on to 4 or 5 pups and by 10 months of age be down to 2 pups...had lots to clean up daily but it was worth doing it that way...I was young and had a pretty good bloodline going...

Not that long ago I tried the same method with a bloodline I heard was good and I wanted to try this blood so I bought an older female and bred to one of my males...the breeding didn’t please me so didn’t keep any...since then I met a man that breeds the same type of dog and bloodlines I like and we trade pups once in a while and have agreed to use each other’s stud dogs...

At 65 my fire doesn’t burn as bright as when I was 30...

Like I said earlier the more friends you have with the same objective the more you can get done.

Old Post 01-17-2021 05:23 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I am thankful that there are guys who enjoy breeding and raising dogs. Without them we wouldn't have any good dogs to hunt but it has never been something I liked doing. Think I raised two litters in 60 years. Don't really like a baby puppy. Give me a dog 6-8 months old and I'll try to make something out of him. Often I can buy the 6 month old as cheap as I could buy the 8 week old. You breeders keep up the good work. We need you.

Old Post 01-17-2021 07:06 PM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I hate raising pups. By the time they're old enough to mess with I'm already mad at them and ready for something else. I have some semen stored out in OK just waiting on the right female, and that may very well be the last litter I ever raise.
I'm like you, I'm sure thankful there are people that enjoy it.

Old Post 01-17-2021 07:58 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I hate raising pups. By the time they're old enough to mess with I'm already mad at them and ready for something else. I have some semen stored out in OK just waiting on the right female, and that may very well be the last litter I ever raise.
I'm like you, I'm sure thankful there are people that enjoy it.

X3 I have no desire to hunt pups, I like to hunt started or preferably FINISHED dogs. Never had the time or desire to take a pup from start to finish, realized a long time ago that there were way more qualified dog trainers than I would ever be or want to become. I have GREAT respect for those trainers that enjoy starting pups and the BREEDERS who raise quality pups, without them WE would be in big trouble. Thankfully, we have plenty who love starting pups and raising pups for sale. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2021 08:48 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom Wood

Tom, I think the desire to own that SPECIAL COON DOG is what makes us have the always looking mindset. I know it is what perks me up anytime I hear about someone having a dog they think has that extra spark. I just have to go see if it's something I think is special or interests me. It's kind of like searching for that big diamond in the rough mentality, one just never knows when it might happen. Now due to my age, I am limited to just how many dogs I can actually hunt and it takes something real special to get my interest. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2021 09:00 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

It really is something like hunting for a diamond and then a better diamond.

Old Post 01-17-2021 09:44 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
It really is something like hunting for a diamond and then a better diamond.

Tom, the one thing we have to remember is to enjoy what we have now. Nothing wrong with looking for something better as long as we do not let that process prevent us from enjoying what we do have. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this thought. Yes, I want that top dog, but I still enjoy what I am hunting at the present and NO, none of which I call a top coon dog. They tree coons, hunt good, trash free and handle good, so I do enjoy them, but I know there are better dogs to be had. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-18-2021 at 01:43 AM

Old Post 01-18-2021 12:38 AM
D.Boyd
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone know where a good one is?

Gr.NT.CH. PKC Platinum Ch. Thunder’s Wild Clyde Pkc Platinum Ch.Priceless Hank Gr.Nt. Pkc Platinum Ch.Clear Creek Chief. Gr.Nt.Pkc Platinum Ch. Cabin Creek Girly Gr Nt Pkc Platinum Ch.Big D’s Little Dee Gr Nt. Gold Ch. Nkc World Ch Tree Talking Hoss Gr Nt Pkc Gold Ch. Hardwood Money Gr Nt Ch.Boyd’s Forestwood Dan Gr Nt Pkc Silver Ch History Repeat’s Itself

Old Post 01-31-2021 03:02 PM
D.Boyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D.Boyd Click here to Send D.Boyd a Private Message Click Here to Email D.Boyd Find more posts by D.Boyd Add D.Boyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote