UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ivomec 1% heartworm treatment for dogs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BOO
UKC Forum Member

ivomec 1% heartworm treatment for dogs

What is the dosage of 1% ivomec, in cc's per pound, that you give dogs

Shade River Wrangler

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-13-2022 04:39 PM
BOO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BOO Click here to Send BOO a Private Message Find more posts by BOO Add BOO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Dosage

I was told by my Vet to give 1/10 of a CC for each 10 pounds of body weight.....so a 50 pound dog would get a half CC.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 08-13-2022 06:47 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I’ve heard the same thing…
.5 cc’s for a 50 lb. dog…I been giving 1 cc every month on 50-60 lb. dogs since the 1980’s without issues…
I’ve also heard that heart worms are getting immune to the heart worm prevention meds…probably because giving too mild a treatment…

Last edited by Reuben on 08-14-2022 at 01:44 AM

Old Post 08-13-2022 11:24 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

1/10th of 1cc would be .1cc. A 50lb. dog would get 1/2 cc or .5 cc. I’ve used this dosage for over 30 years with no issues.

Old Post 08-14-2022 01:15 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Here’s something to think about…from the time a mosquito infects a dog until the larvae matures into a heart worm is 6 month…I’ve used this knowledge in my favor for years without issues…

The parvovirus has not mutated so I use that knowledge in my favor as well…

Old Post 08-14-2022 01:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Same

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
1/10th of 1cc would be .1cc. A 50lb. dog would get 1/2 cc or .5 cc. I’ve used this dosage for over 30 years with no issues.

Same here....giving it over 30 years & never the first issue & never had a dog get Heart Worms.
I used to give 1 CC & my Vet said it won't hurt a dog to give a little too much but said you are just wasting it because it won't do any better than the .5 CC.
It's Good stuff.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 08-14-2022 02:18 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I sat down years ago and figured out the correct dosage rate per the pills from the vet. The microfillia are very susceptible to ivermectin so 0.10cc per 76 lbs. works as a heart worm preventive. Ivermectin is also very nontoxic at low dosage for MOST dogs so even 1 cc per month should not cause a problem.

I use 0.3 cc each dog.

Old Post 08-14-2022 05:47 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

Might as well use water for the good it does in my area
Give it 2 times a month and dogs still get heartworms

Old Post 08-14-2022 02:26 PM
JHayes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JHayes Click here to Send JHayes a Private Message Click Here to Email JHayes Find more posts by JHayes Add JHayes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Ivomec

quote:
Originally posted by JHayes

So what are you using for prevention? And general location? Give a little history. And any answers to the why doesn't Ivermec work.

Help educate the rest of us to prevent heartworm.

Like Reuben I use the time period to hopefully have a successful worming program.
April thru November is Ivomec @ 6/10s cc mixed on Contance of a pedigree pouch on a paper plate. Takes less than a minute and plate is licked clean.
December & January is a complete wormer to get any tapes.
February 6/10 cc Ivermec.
March complete wormer again for a clean up.
I'm always interested in what others are doing. Like to improve if I can. Last check at the vet was all clear. All 6 are outside hounds.

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 08-14-2022 03:22 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

From what I’ve read in past articles many are afraid to overdose a dog with Ivomec (ivermectin) and I believe some of the wormer pills that contain ivermectin could be causing the heart worms to build an immunity against it…that is my opinion on the possibility…

Old Post 08-14-2022 03:32 PM
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

Pro heart shot
Southeast Missouri
Twice a month ivomec year round still didn’t keep beagles and coo hounds from getting heartworms

Old Post 08-14-2022 05:22 PM
JHayes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JHayes Click here to Send JHayes a Private Message Click Here to Email JHayes Find more posts by JHayes Add JHayes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

JHayes…

How much ivomec were you giving every two weeks per body weight for each dog as heart worm prevention?

Old Post 08-14-2022 10:27 PM
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

I was giving 1/2 cc straight to my beagles

Old Post 08-15-2022 06:56 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JHayes

Someone from Arkansas posted the same thing a few months ago. I spoke to my vet, and he has not seen any evidence of that in this area.

Old Post 08-15-2022 09:02 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

My vet has told me that for years
Almost all dogs from this area will at minimum test a light positive on Ivomecterin only even at 2 times a month.
Years ago we used to mix the ivomec in a 1:9 ratio
But that didn’t work at all

Old Post 08-15-2022 11:25 PM
coonhunter, MO
UKC Forum Member

Ivomec

what name brand are you guys/gals using, I have not been able to get original Ivomec in my area for a couple years, I have been using Noromectin, exact same label but does not seem to be working like the original Ivomec, Injection for cattle and swine 1% ????

Old Post 08-19-2022 05:52 PM
coonhunter, MO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter, MO Click here to Send coonhunter, MO a Private Message Find more posts by coonhunter, MO Add coonhunter, MO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ivomec

quote:
Originally posted by coonhunter, MO
what name brand are you guys/gals using, I have not been able to get original Ivomec in my area for a couple years, I have been using Noromectin, exact same label but does not seem to be working like the original Ivomec, Injection for cattle and swine 1% ????

I usually buy the paste…
The tube treats a 1,200 lb. horse…
The active ingredient is 1.87 percent compared to the liquid which has 1 percent…
The generic brands sell for a lot less…here lately the prices have gone up quite a bit…

Old Post 08-20-2022 12:46 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Bob, this answer is on the money when you compare the amount of ivomec in a heartguard pill. I also did the math, which about gave me a headache. Lol. Call me tomorrow if you want to and I can explain it.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
I sat down years ago and figured out the correct dosage rate per the pills from the vet. The microfillia are very susceptible to ivermectin so 0.10cc per 76 lbs. works as a heart worm preventive. Ivermectin is also very nontoxic at low dosage for MOST dogs so even 1 cc per month should not cause a problem.

I use 0.3 cc each dog.

Old Post 08-20-2022 04:30 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote