UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Ratliff's Cream of the crop
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Ratliff's Cream of the crop

Between me dad and Sam the Ratliff Ramblin kennels have and are going to make a truck load of crosses this year. Bringing up some questions, like why? Well let me start out by saying not to sell pups for sure, lol. Anybody that has had a litter knows better than that. So why? Because we are trying to get dogs that please us. May not be everyone else cup of tea, but oh well. We want what we want. What we consider the whole package. I'm not out to better the breed, it's been around long before me and good Lord willing will be there after I'm gone. I'm simply looking to better what I've got. We've talked about it and are going to pick some from each litter, raise them up and then pick. Just like if they were all littermates. Just pick what we feel is the cream of the crop. right or wrong. Anybody that wants to tag along, watch or help you're more than welcome to.
So on to the crosses,

Screwy Lewey x Mags. Dob 10-7-19
Sonny and Cody

Bj x Mags 2nd cross. Dob 5-20-20
This is Rip not ours but would have been my pick male if I didn't have Buggs.

Utchmans Andy x Tell Dob July 13 2020
Cob

Jack x Mud due date oct 14

Upcoming crosses I'll post pics when we get some
Bj x Pearl. Bred Sept 14th

Clear River Diamond Jim x Ratliff's Boomin Rivers

Frostys Blue Bobo x Mags

For any questions or more pics give me a call 660-351-0293 or look Sam up on Facebook

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 09-14-2020 at 08:16 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-08-2020 05:46 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

"

Lewey x Mags

Bj x Mags

Andy is out of Jobe x Angel same as Mags ped
Tell

Clear River Diamond Jim

Ratliff's Boomin Rivers

Frostys Blue Bobo

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 09-10-2020 at 01:52 AM

Old Post 09-08-2020 05:47 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

"'

The crosses how and why.
Lewey x Mags
We first had the chance to raise a litter out of Mags x BJ. Dad wanted to so we did. We whelped the litter and kept May and Buggs. Later we had the opportunity to buy Mags. We jumped on it. Then we had a chance to breed her to frozen semen. At the time we had a couple of options. We agreed on Lewey. For the several reasons. One size. Lewey wasn't a tall dog but a well built hound. Plus we wanted to see what traits would come to the top on a grandfather x granddaughter cross. Already pleased with what Mags could reproduce, we discussed the opportunity and seized it. And kept a male Sonny and female Cody.

Bj x Mags
After seeing how Buggs and May were turning out, it was a no brainier to breed her back to BJ. Never a sure thing but we kept two females. Dina and Anna.

Andy x Tell
Dad hunted with Andy and knowing how he is bred we thought it would be a good thing to try to bring in. Tell was purchased as a pup. I was with her the first night in the woods. She split and held with the meat. We thought she was just hung on the bank or fence. But nope she treed and had it. She's a little bigger female than dad likes, so we thought the cross on Andy would fit. We kept a male Cob and female Dew Tell.

Jack x Mud
Sam purchased mud from the Munsons. With the plans of finishing her in the timber and raising a litter. I'll tell ya she's a looker with a good mouth. Now why Jack semen. Come on Diamond Jim and Lewey and all that Utchman blood all rolled up in one. If this cross works it'll help us plot for future crosses. A step ahead to see what might be possible down the road.

Bj x Pearl
Pearl is owned by Gary Dugger. Dad and him have whelped some nice pups off her. She's been bred to dad's Reagan male with good results and bred to Harpers Gambler with good results. She is off Jobe and a sister to Angel named Sue. So she is almost the same as Mags. We're excited to see the differences between her pups and Mags pups. Hopefully they turnout with big mouths and eyepopping looks.

Diamond Jim x Rivers
I bought Rivers from Butch Glass as a pup. She's a nice hound. She was high scoring bluetick in the dual champions portion of AO in 2018. To simplify Rivers I'll quote a guy who hunts walkers. While heading into his tree as Rivers covered. The other cast member respond looks like you got this in the bag. He replied don't ever count Rivers out. When we got there Rivers was split with the meat. Ended by winning that cast and looked good doing it. Her bottom side is bullet bred. Which seems to be what Diamond Jim crossed well on.

Bobo x Mags
Well if you'll look at BJ's ped Bobo is his grandfather on the mother's side. I talked to an oldtimer that's been around and hunted with some top hounds. After discussing Lewey and Jim I asked him what other hounds impressed him enough to mention. Bobo was one of the first out of his mouth. I said that'll work that's already in the plans. He said sounds like you're on the right track. He said one night he beat Bobo but shouldn't have. Said he liked Bobo and the research I've done most that have hunted pups out of him like em too. Hopefully we get the same.

I'll add one more thing about these crosses, in case it comes up. We sure ain't breeding old handy to ole ready just because. If my wife knew what we've payed out for semen and shipping this year...

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 09-11-2020 at 03:55 PM

Old Post 09-08-2020 05:49 PM
BluBritches
UKC Forum Member

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/224...4162/?ref=share

Old Post 09-08-2020 10:28 PM
BluBritches is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluBritches Click here to Send BluBritches a Private Message Find more posts by BluBritches Add BluBritches to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DAVE H
UKC Forum Member

Good luck, all the best to you!
Look forward to seeing the results of your crosses, should be some exciting times ahead for you.

BLUE GHOST HAUNTED SKY

Old Post 09-09-2020 01:09 AM
DAVE H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DAVE H Click here to Send DAVE H a Private Message Click Here to Email DAVE H Find more posts by DAVE H Add DAVE H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Work

quote:
Originally posted by DAVE H
should be some exciting times ahead for you.

Yes excited but I've raised and started enough hounds to fully know how much work we've got ahead of us. Fun but hard. We can only under go this adventure because dad has stepped back some on work. It's going to be interesting to see how it all turns out. Just because we pick at the end doesn't mean the others didn't turn out just means that we liked the others for some reason. But only time will tell. We have decided if we can't come up with a few good ones out of these crosses We'd better switch to walkers. We are going to be extremely picky. I've seen plenty of people who put a years time in and then settle for less than they should, simply because the time invested. We're not. Less than what we want is unexceptable regardless of which cross it's out of. It was up for decision to spread this adventure out over a few years but we opted to cut to the chase, and see if we can come up with what we want. Instead of trying for years. We have a couple hounds out back that are pretty decent hounds already but have high hopes for what these crosses will produce. And figure the worst that can happen is we ended up with a truck load of perfect hounds and can't decide which ones to keep. Wouldn't that be an awesome problem to have?

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 09-10-2020 at 05:12 AM

Old Post 09-10-2020 05:03 AM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Good luck with your crosses that you have made I can tell by just reading your posts you've put alot into the bluetick breed and I hope you stick with them.

Old Post 09-10-2020 08:57 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Thanks and we ain't switching

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
Good luck with your crosses that you have made I can tell by just reading your posts you've put alot into the bluetick breed and I hope you stick with them.

I have complete confidence that these crosses well produce what we want. Haven some decent hounds already gives us the opportunity to be picky. To not settle and try to get the traits we want. I updated the post above with more information. If anyone has questions about any of the crosses like why that stud to that female, or any other questions please feel free to ask. Nothing to hide, I'm going to lay it all out the good, bad and ugly. Plus hopefully the pretty. I'll update this post with how they are doing and from time to time some more background on the crosses and hounds.

Old Post 09-11-2020 04:05 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Tied today

Should have pups in 63 days

Old Post 09-14-2020 08:18 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Vet says there's pups in there

Jack x Mud

Can't wait hardly wait to get em on the ground

Old Post 09-24-2020 05:26 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Update

Mud had 4 pups an even split.

Due to Mags being a stupid female and a slight lack of planning purely on my part, we will not be breeding her to Bobo this heat cycle. She didn't come in heat right and then was ready to breed quicker than we could get things in order. We bred her to a live dog, we think she'd cross good on but with no bet she'll have pups. But plans are next time to have our ducks in a row and breed to Bobo.

I'll post some pics of the pups when I have time.
On a side note think we should have named Cob, Clobber. He is as would of a pup as I've seen. Thick, heavy and already has a head the size of a drum.

Old Post 11-09-2020 02:30 PM
Scott Jordan
New UKC Forum Member

Love looking and reading about your hounds you don't know me but I know your dad and hunted with him and Gary good luck with your hounds

Old Post 12-25-2020 12:21 AM
Scott Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott Jordan Click here to Send Scott Jordan a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott Jordan Find more posts by Scott Jordan Add Scott Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluBritches
UKC Forum Member

Jack x mud female

upload image website

My keeper ratliff's blue bloods jerri

Old Post 12-25-2020 12:41 AM
BluBritches is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluBritches Click here to Send BluBritches a Private Message Find more posts by BluBritches Add BluBritches to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Napier II
UKC Forum Member

That’s a good looking pup out of Jack x Mud. Good luck to everyone who got one. They should make good ones.

Old Post 12-26-2020 04:37 AM
Gary Napier II is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Napier II Click here to Send Gary Napier II a Private Message Find more posts by Gary Napier II Add Gary Napier II to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Good luck with your endeavors. Its exciting to see your conviction and determination to succeed with your plan. I for one look forward to following your posts.

Old Post 12-26-2020 12:27 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Thank you all for the compliments

I posted a video of Cody treed last night on the Ratliff blueticks page. She's starting to come along.

Old Post 12-27-2020 03:51 PM