UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Honest Strike Dog
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like---

If a hunter would ever need a "broke" coonhound to start with true pleasure hunters. Because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't get any enjoyment out of hunting a silent hound nor a babbler.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-09-2018 10:07 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I have to agree with some of these comments but others are out in left field. For instance..the belief that a dog must bark at least 10 times before treeing. You never heard of a lay-up? And what if the dog just happened to run right up on the coon before smelling it and it climbed immediately? Yes, I know these are isolated instances and the standard should be over a period of time. I drew a babbler once that the guy swore just had a super good nose. I handled it by going back to the asphalt parking lot we parked in and turned out from. It is about 75 yards from one side to the other. I just told the cast that anything that opened before the other edge was scratched and gambled that no coon had been there. Guys, I've been beat nearly every way possible including my dog treeing 1 coon, a different dog treeing one that mine wasn't on and a 3rd dog treeing in 4 minutes behind them in each case and beating us both. I fact, that's happened twice. To be fair though; in one of those cases, the dog that treed the 2nd coon should have won. However, he couldn't hear her treed and didn't think she was there. Instead of gambling and pitching her for 4th tree; he took a 100- because she was there.

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:09 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Truely Honest Strike Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Determining when a dog starts to smell a track in relation to when it opens its mouth is impossible and as such is speculation. Determining when there is no track present to smell is (should be) much easier.

If you hunt in the snow it will tell you more than you want to know at times, but makes things perfectly clear as well. The best track dogs that I'ved had would consistently strike feeder tracks when on the leash that were over 40 steps from where they opened to where I'd find the track in the snow. They'd show you the coon too. In a competition hunt these same dogs would get minus for babbling, because the judge thought a honest strike dog should open everytime their foot hit the ground instead of every 40 steps.
THE OVERALL ABILITY LEVEL OF THE COMPETITION HOUNDS IS DECREASING BECAUSE THEY CAN WIN FIRST PLACE BY BEING INDEPENDANT AND MEDIOCRE IN OVERALL ABILITY. The best honest strike dog is often forced to take second strike to avoid getting 100 minus. That is usually what I done as it is better to give away 25 than to overcome -100 strike in a one hour hunt.

Old Post 10-10-2018 03:10 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Re: Truely Honest Strike Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
If you hunt in the snow it will tell you more than you want to know at times, but makes things perfectly clear as well. The best track dogs that I'ved had would consistently strike feeder tracks when on the leash that were over 40 steps from where they opened to where I'd find the track in the snow. They'd show you the coon too. In a competition hunt these same dogs would get minus for babbling, because the judge thought a honest strike dog should open everytime their foot hit the ground instead of every 40 steps.
THE OVERALL ABILITY LEVEL OF THE COMPETITION HOUNDS IS DECREASING BECAUSE THEY CAN WIN FIRST PLACE BY BEING INDEPENDANT AND MEDIOCRE IN OVERALL ABILITY. The best honest strike dog is often forced to take second strike to avoid getting 100 minus. That is usually what I done as it is better to give away 25 than to overcome -100 strike in a one hour hunt.

X2, and the vast majority of hunters in last 20+years have not seen a dog with these abilities and if they did they got upset, accusing hound of running trash or babbling until the hound up and falls t treed first, and then they like that even less. Few have seen a hound that run and open on track of a layup coon and tree it fast.

Old Post 10-10-2018 04:56 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Today Competition Dogs

Would you pleasure hunt a dog that wouldn't even tree one coon in two hours? There are a lot of coons out there. If your dog isn't finishing at least 5 coon in two hours at this time of the year then I understand why your grandpa wont go hunting with you and you don't have an honest strike, track and tree dog. As ever, Ken Risley

Old Post 10-10-2018 04:56 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

When pleasure hunting I very rarely strike a track within a minute, maybe 25% of the time. When I'm in a hunt its the complete opposite, about 75% of the time the dogs are barking within a minute.

"When Shep opens he's on a coon, he don't babble." That's my favorite line.

There are dog out there with above average noses but not nearly as many as you see at the hunts.

Last edited by T Felderman on 10-10-2018 at 02:36 PM

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:24 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

X2

That just about does it, don't it?

Old Post 10-10-2018 04:05 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Truely Honest Strike Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry

The ability of dogs will evolve to the rules of which it is judged. You can not judge a coondog( hide dog) by the UKC rules. No how will a dog barking at another dogs tracks be helpful in filling a freezer with hides, yet it will win a dog money and acclaim in competition hunts.

Old Post 10-10-2018 08:39 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Man I cannot help myself. This is a post of which i have held many discussions on. It is MY BELIEF, that the term "Honest Strike Dog" is a term used much like a political term.

You see, Honest Strike dog Implies that something dishonest is occurring when the outcome does not favor the person on the short end of the strike position. Rather than admit that there dog is a medium to poor strike dog, they must justify their getting beat by using this term that somebody was dishonest, thus cheating them out of the strike position they should have gotten.

EVERYTIME I see the term "Honest strike dog" used, I turn away from that advertisement of that hound because I'm sure, he is more of a 2nd or 3rd strike dog than he is a 1st strike dog.

Now I don't like a babbling dog either, but I do like the description of an earlier post, where the dog actually opened 40 yards or more from the actual track. You see, for me, That is an HONEST 1st strike dog. And not the hound that finds the track, and moves that track 50 to 200 yards before it opens. Just my opinion, and thank God I live in a country where I am still allowed to have an opinion. "at least for now" anyway.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 10-10-2018 09:02 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I think we're getting tied up in the antics of semantics. A dog as described above that's capable of winding a track from 40 yards away by some definitions is a real, honest, top end strike dog. By some definitions, the dog that covers a mile in three minutes and opens fast on a red hot popup is also considered a real, honest top end strike dog. The validity of each opinion is subject to individual interpretation.

But I think/hope we can all agree that the one that leaves barking, or trails other dogs, or bumps around here and there on junk isn't an "honest" strike dog by definition, because it is acquiring undeserved strike points for doing something it shouldn't.

What's more frustrating (at least to me) are hunters that are unable or unwilling to determine the difference...

Old Post 10-10-2018 09:13 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dave Mayles/ Kler Kry

I agree with both of you regarding a dog that can smell/open on tracks some distance away [ winding ]. We are hunting a dog now [ by himself ] that often strikes a track 40/100 yards from his turn out and runs that track and trees that track with eyes looking down. Babbler? Heck no he isn't! Coon dog 100% in any man's book. Dave

Old Post 10-10-2018 09:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Cory, all three of your examples get the same points on the card.How many "first strike dog" guys would be willing to cast from the Wal-mart parking lot?

Old Post 10-10-2018 09:22 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Stan Ferrell
Cory, all three of your examples get the same points on the card.How many "first strike dog" guys would be willing to cast from the Wal-mart parking lot?

Me, I would. Some dogs have great winding ability and some don't. I had a mountain cur one time that proved beyond a doubt, to me and a witness, of great winding ability. We were done hunting and were heading back though the middle of a beanfield. Dog was walking along with us when suddenly his head went up. Witness noticed and said "What's he doing?". I told him he was getting ready to tree a coon. Dog then stood on his hind legs and started into the wind towards the woods that were every bit of 300 yds. away. We stood and watched as my dog worked all the way to the creek, across it, and fell treed on a big mulberry. The whole time his head was straight up and a good part of the time he was on two legs. And yeah, he had the meat, curled up and asleep. The coondog I'm hunting now has almost the ability of that cur dog but opens whereas the cur was dead silent on track. So as long as we cut them into the wind across Wal-Mart's parking lot I'm all for it, lol.

Old Post 10-10-2018 09:52 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Guys we see post on the Subject of strike everyday. I’m at a hunt somewhere every weekend year round. I’m 100% addicted to them. I’ve drew 3 silent dogs and probably a dozen what I would consider babblers out of HUNDREDS of cast. I truly believe that people use the term “Babbler” as an excuse when they get beat. If people would start looking at the real problem that’s on the end of there lead you’d see an extreme upgrade in dog power. If you are consistently getting beat because of strike points it’s because your dog just isn’t good enough. My dad told me something several years ago that makes a lot of sense. He said it’s easy to beat a babbler. All you have to do is tree more coons than everything else. If it can’t tree more coons than everything you cut it loose with it’s not worth feeding anyway. If your dog isn’t consistently winning 60% or more of the cast it’s in shoot it and find one that will. I’m 100% fed up with the excuses people make to try and cover there lack of dog power. It honestly just makes you look and sound ignorant to me. I promise if I get beat a few times in a row for the same reason. Whether it’s strike or getting covered or whatever the problem may be I will fix the problem. If I have to upgrade dogs that’s what I will do but I don’t show up to make excuses and donate I’m there to win every time I show up.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 10-12-2018 07:50 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I’ll give you a good example. The Willy dog that won the world hunt was one of the tightest dogs I’ve ever drawn. Or at least he was in the late round Friday night to get into the final cast. He opened 1 time on the ground in 2 hours and it was a locate and he just changed his mind on staying treed. He beat dogs by treeing more coons than they did.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 10-12-2018 07:53 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Truely Honest Strike Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Stan Ferrell
The ability of dogs will evolve to the rules of which it is judged. You can not judge a coondog( hide dog) by the UKC rules. No how will a dog barking at another dogs tracks be helpful in filling a freezer with hides, yet it will win a dog money and acclaim in competition hunts.
with one that is barking on another dogs tracks you can fill the freezer full on hides . my dad use to say tree mr wheat and he was after that 35 dollar hide . i can remember he made my brother run ahead of him with a coon squalling tape on a cassette player he ordered from bill boatman .lol first babbler i ever saw was a walker pup that loose barked from the time cut till we went home. still mr wheat made that x-mas money .lol i believe there has never been a world champion coon hound that could produce more coon hides in a all night hunt as dad and mr wheat with a amber cover in the skunk river bottoms and farm ditches in iowa.lol

Old Post 10-12-2018 09:19 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Is a dog that gets second or third tree a "me too" dog or one that is slower on track and gets beat to a tree. Or maybe they are just slower to tree because they like to check and make sure the coon is there. Why does everyone automatically assume that a second or third tree dog can't tree a coon by themselves? Everyone wants to "weed out" the slow second and third tree dogs. But they go out looking for those slow second or third tree dogs when they sneak off by themselves and don't open on track so that you don't know how slow they are. Is it because these are "cast winners"?

BINGO!!!!! we have a winner. Both type dogs are worthless to most on here. Just send them my way, either type and I will show you some wins.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 10-12-2018 12:34 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

HONEST STRIKE DOG IS ONE THAT ONLY BARKS WHEN HE SMELLS A COON, DONT MATTER WHEN

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 10-12-2018 01:21 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr johnson/lambert

I have a two year old hound that would be considered a second tree dog because he always checks himself on a tree he don't get there late he just checks if the coon climbs the first tree then my dog is beat but if not he'll go on and have the coon more times than not sense july he's shown me 34 coons 4 circles 4 slicks and i'm ok with that jmo.

Last edited by 100%hunter on 10-12-2018 at 01:42 PM

Old Post 10-12-2018 01:30 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
Man I cannot help myself. This is a post of which i have held many discussions on. It is MY BELIEF, that the term "Honest Strike Dog" is a term used much like a political term.

You see, Honest Strike dog Implies that something dishonest is occurring when the outcome does not favor the person on the short end of the strike position. Rather than admit that there dog is a medium to poor strike dog, they must justify their getting beat by using this term that somebody was dishonest, thus cheating them out of the strike position they should have gotten.

EVERYTIME I see the term "Honest strike dog" used, I turn away from that advertisement of that hound because I'm sure, he is more of a 2nd or 3rd strike dog than he is a 1st strike dog.

Now I don't like a babbling dog either, but I do like the description of an earlier post, where the dog actually opened 40 yards or more from the actual track. You see, for me, That is an HONEST 1st strike dog. And not the hound that finds the track, and moves that track 50 to 200 yards before it opens. Just my opinion, and thank God I live in a country where I am still allowed to have an opinion. "at least for now" anyway.

So if I understand you correctly todays coon hounds in your opinion pattern themselves after establishment politicians of both the D and R variety on strike points and MSM on tree until Marcells Monkey shows up. S/FI! You might actually be on to something there bud.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-12-2018 01:46 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Webb
UKC Forum Member

Honest

It's a good thing UKC don't scratch humans for babbling
There's a lot of forum posters would go "Poof"

Grand Night Tight as a Cord

Old Post 10-12-2018 02:52 PM
David Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Webb Click here to Send David Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email David Webb Find more posts by David Webb Add David Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Dave now that is funny I dont's care who's you are. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-14-2018 10:41 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Oklared

Your definition is 100%correct, opens only when they smell a coon. Most hunters know their dog and what they are doing, it's the handler who is dishonest, when they strike a babbler. Dave

Old Post 10-14-2018 11:47 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Webb, that is funny. Dave, UKC rules say that you have to strike a dog after 3 barks once the minute is up. They don't actually have a choice. The rule forces them to be dishonest. I have seen/heard a lot of people say that we should do away with the 1 minute rule but maybe we should change it to a 5 min rule. That way handlers would not "have" to strike their dog when they knew that it was babbling. And maybe then judges would be more inclined to minus them if they did.

Old Post 10-15-2018 12:37 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Richard Lambert

You are right after the minute is up, one is forced to strike after the 3rd bark, my comment was more directed at those striking dog/s in the first minute. Hence the auto strike title for the babbler. Dave

Old Post 10-15-2018 02:34 AM