UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ??? Prices for Old Dogs ????
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

??? Prices for Old Dogs ????

I can't believe the huge prices some people ask for old dogs!!! After a dog reaches a certain age, the ice gets real thin. Anything can happen, and usually does. I know it's none of my business, and people can ask, or pay whatever they want to....just kinda "WOWS" me.

Home of Mayberry Blueticks
Jhn. 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Last edited by Craig Edwards on 10-30-2017 at 02:17 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-30-2017 01:51 AM
Craig Edwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Edwards Click here to Send Craig Edwards a Private Message Visit Craig Edwards's homepage! Find more posts by Craig Edwards Add Craig Edwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

It depends on what you consider an old dog. I m o, anything 8 and up is an old dog. But I know guys that consider 5 to be old.

Old Post 10-30-2017 02:38 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
It depends on what you consider an old dog. I m o, anything 8 and up is an old dog. But I know guys that consider 5 to be old.

I was thinking the same as you.

Old Post 10-30-2017 03:28 PM
Craig Edwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Edwards Click here to Send Craig Edwards a Private Message Visit Craig Edwards's homepage! Find more posts by Craig Edwards Add Craig Edwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Old dogs

Best to give them away with the price of fur. Been a tough sale, alot are priced as if their in prime,age, which is age 3 to me. Males are real hard to sell, females have old age reproduction issues....

Old Post 10-31-2017 03:38 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I'd say a dog is in it's prime from 4-7. After that they care a little less about what the handler thinks I m o. At 3 they still make a young dog mistakes. And by 9 they're slowing down a bunch compared to them at 5-6. But I agree the prices on these older dogs is kind of crazy. But they're only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Old Post 10-31-2017 08:04 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

In my thinking, it doesn't matter how many coons they have treed, or how many titles they have, when three legs are in the grave. I've seen females, as young as 7, get crazy on their cycles, and 8 and 9 year olds that hunt good one night, and wake up dead the next day!!! They get like me....stuff starts tearing upl!!! If I'm going to get rid of an older dog, I'll give it to someone that needs them to start a pup with, and someone I know that will give it a good home. The best thing, once they get to a certain age, is to keep them til they die. Older dogs, sometimes, need special care!!!
When a dog reaches a certain age, there is a small window....as in now or never....you either sell them now, or they die in your kennel. Old dogs might look or act like a 3 year old (for a little while) but they're not. Some people ask thousands of dollars for old dogs!!! Blows me away!!! To each his own I guess ???

Last edited by Craig Edwards on 11-01-2017 at 12:05 AM

Old Post 10-31-2017 11:51 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65

8 is old if you own them. 5 is old if you are buying them.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 11-01-2017 12:30 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Woodard
UKC Forum Member

No matter what age how good the dog is would be what it's worth mostly! Wheaten it's a yr or 6 or 8. A good dog is hard to find.

PR. WOODARDS ALLGRAND ANN ( SPIDER X LIZ PUP)
PR. WOODARDS HARDWOOD DOC ( SPIDER X LIZ PUP)
Nt.ch. all night Hanna
Nt.ch. Dual Fuel Frisky

Old Post 11-01-2017 01:04 AM
Randy Woodard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Woodard Click here to Send Randy Woodard a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Woodard Find more posts by Randy Woodard Add Randy Woodard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

There is nothing more enjoyable than hunting a 5 to 9 year old coon treeing machine compared to these 2 to 3 year old mistake makers . I know you have to hunt them through the dumb dumb years but a hunted up old dog is refreshing . No one hunts a dog to maturity these days . Once its super stakes eligibility is up or super stud etc they are shelved . As for prices I paid $2500 for an 8 year old Grand Nite male . He is a grandson on top of Medleys Swamp and Houses Prowler and on bottom is a grandson of Lookin up jeb . All he does is tree coon after coon . Good old blood .

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 11-01-2017 07:17 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lonesomedog1
UKC Forum Member

X 2 on huntin the old dog 2 or 3 nights a week. I enjoy it more and more all time.

Old Post 11-01-2017 08:36 PM
lonesomedog1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lonesomedog1 Click here to Send lonesomedog1 a Private Message Find more posts by lonesomedog1 Add lonesomedog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Knuckols
There is nothing more enjoyable than hunting a 5 to 9 year old coon treeing machine compared to these 2 to 3 year old mistake makers . I know you have to hunt them through the dumb dumb years but a hunted up old dog is refreshing . No one hunts a dog to maturity these days . Once its super stakes eligibility is up or super stud etc they are shelved . As for prices I paid $2500 for an 8 year old Grand Nite male . He is a grandson on top of Medleys Swamp and Houses Prowler and on bottom is a grandson of Lookin up jeb . All he does is tree coon after coon . Good old blood .

X3!
Have a 9 yr old Clover female that makes NO mistakes leaves on or OFF
No drama,just trees coon{s}
Gonna be sad to be w/o her some day.Prob won't find another.Had her since she was 12months old.

Old Post 11-01-2017 08:54 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Knuckols, it sounds like you bought a real bargain. Some people can see the worth in something that just brings them a lot of pleasure and some only look at what they can get out of something. Just a year or two of pleasure coonhunting can be priceless to some. I have an older female that I wouldn't sell for any amount of money. I don't care if she went sterile tomorrow.
4play, how much would it take to buy your old dog?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-01-2017 at 09:51 PM

Old Post 11-01-2017 09:47 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

About what I paid for after I collected him . He's still a winner . He and my other dog Extra Man got in the final 4 at Yadkintars hunt . I think he's won 6 out of 9 hunts . If he dies at my house that's OK by me . I've also got a coming 10 year old NtCh granddaughter of Stylish Clover that makes coon treeing look easy . Extra Man is 5 and clicking as well . I have 1 2 year old with a big upside but Lance Crump is dealing with the young dog Stuff lol . Mark Whatley helped me realize these old hounds are superior and to hunt them till the wheels fall off that's what they love to do not sit while Jr is out there tripping over himself lol

Home of :
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker

Old Post 11-01-2017 10:45 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

At 11 yrs old granny will still make dogs look stupid she has pups in a few days I am a nervous wreck hope she gets them raised they will finish me up she will live in the lap of luxury the rest of her life.

Old Post 11-01-2017 11:00 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

It takes 3 of us to hunt my dogs . The Lowry's have Poison . Me and David Gang up on Extra Man and Me and Lance team up on Ranger and Man Child . I can only do 1 dog at a time justice . A drop here and there does do much . If you wanna win you gotta work them on recutting from the tree instead of drop shotting . That's the difference I see in the modern dog verses the old blood . Back then we hunted all night in one spot and now we load up and move each drop due to the territory . My modern dogs are easier to train thank goodness cause I'm a big Nancy now . The old dogs were if it treed load the gun . Until 10 years ago I didn't know what slick treeing was

Home of :
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker

Old Post 11-01-2017 11:33 PM
lonesomedog1
UKC Forum Member

Good luck with the pups Tar!!

Old Post 11-02-2017 12:15 AM
lonesomedog1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lonesomedog1 Click here to Send lonesomedog1 a Private Message Find more posts by lonesomedog1 Add lonesomedog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

God bless you yadkintar. It does my heart good to see someone take care of one in its golden years. Never understood someone selling a dog that has given them eight to ten years of pleasure. Retire them and give them the good life.

Old Post 11-02-2017 12:35 AM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Knuckols
It takes 3 of us to hunt my dogs . The Lowry's have Poison . Me and David Gang up on Extra Man and Me and Lance team up on Ranger and Man Child . I can only do 1 dog at a time justice . A drop here and there does do much . If you wanna win you gotta work them on recutting from the tree instead of drop shotting . That's the difference I see in the modern dog verses the old blood . Back then we hunted all night in one spot and now we load up and move each drop due to the territory . My modern dogs are easier to train thank goodness cause I'm a big Nancy now . The old dogs were if it treed load the gun . Until 10 years ago I didn't know what slick treeing was

That's about all we do up here is recut. My buddies from Ohio like my buddies and I to bring the dogs up here to recut. They keep telling us if nothing else you boys teach one to recut better than we can down here. And I do agree about the mistakes vs the seasoned vets. I'm not good at starting pups, and have never claimed to be. But I polish one out pretty good. But I just prefer to hunt. Not worry a bunch on training.

Old Post 11-02-2017 02:17 AM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Give me a seasoned hound any day over young dog. I go coon hunting not dog training. My father weaned me off pups years ago when he got the good dogs and I got to hunt the pups.

Like lambert said you can’t put a price on enjoyment. High to one is cheap to another.

Old Post 11-02-2017 02:27 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

I own a 10 year old walker male he was pkc reserve world champion in 2009 he still hunts as hard as any dog still deadly accurate will split tree every drop if you take good care of them sometimes they last a long time i also have two 8 yr olds and a 6 yr old and none is for sale i hunt them with anyone that wants to go and I never get embarrassed I'd rather have older dogs any day than these wild young dogs what I like most is there's no babbling no trash running and no leash required that's why it's called pleasure hunting.

Old Post 11-02-2017 04:07 AM
Greg Coots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Coots Click here to Send Greg Coots a Private Message Click Here to Email Greg Coots Find more posts by Greg Coots Add Greg Coots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

Hats off and it is great to enjoy what you hunt. I’ve been hunting a long time and my experience has been once a dog reaches a certain age, stuff happens. I have seen both sides of older dogs, but if people ask high prices, and others are willing to pay.....its a WIN-WIN situation. Personally, I love to hunt a good young dog that keeps getting better. When an old, seasoned hound trees a coon, it doesn’t fire me up that much. That’s what they are supposed to do, and I’m disappointed if they don’t. However, when a young dog starts coming on.......I want to hunt every night!!! It really fires me up!!! I know people, with money, and it is easier to put their hands on a few grand, than it is to put their hands on a good, ole, dog. I’m glad that you guys have had good success with old dogs, and I hope they last a long time. Life carries no guarantees on health or tomorrow’s, but there is a reason life insurance is much higher as you get older.

Last edited by Craig Edwards on 11-02-2017 at 05:28 AM

Old Post 11-02-2017 05:24 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Would you rather pay a lot of money for a dog because they are going to be something special or pay a lot of money for a dog that is special? I wonder how many of those high priced young dogs never turn out to be something special? When you pay a bunch for an older dog, you know what you are getting.

Old Post 11-02-2017 02:10 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tutone dog
UKC Forum Member

my buddy has a 11 year old black and tan female that goes as hard as any young dog trres coons every night i personally keep my dogs when they geyt old if they have pleased i will not place them any where i will bury them

Old Post 11-02-2017 11:38 PM
tutone dog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tutone dog Click here to Send tutone dog a Private Message Click Here to Email tutone dog Find more posts by tutone dog Add tutone dog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tutone dog
UKC Forum Member

my buddy has a 11 year old black and tan female that goes as hard as any young dog trres coons every night i personally keep my dogs when they geyt old if they have pleased i will not place them any where i will bury them

Old Post 11-02-2017 11:38 PM
tutone dog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tutone dog Click here to Send tutone dog a Private Message Click Here to Email tutone dog Find more posts by tutone dog Add tutone dog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Would you rather pay a lot of money for a dog because they are going to be something special or pay a lot of money for a dog that is special? I wonder how many of those high priced young dogs never turn out to be something special? When you pay a bunch for an older dog, you know what you are getting.
I don’t have a lot of money to pay for a dog young or old!! Haha!!! I haven’t had the luck you guys have had with older dogs, and I’m meaning 8 and up. About the only way I have got a good one is to train it. I have bought old dogs in the past, and everyone of them, that I can remember, was on their way down. That’s why when I see , what I consider to be an old dog priced 1,500 - 2,500 and up.....it makes me scratch my head!!! That’s scratch to some, but it’s a lot to me. To each his own!!! As I said, it’s none of my business what people ask or what they pay.....it just kinda wows me a little bit. I don’t remember the ratio between human years to dog years: something like 7-1, or so. No matter how many coon a 10 or 11 year old dog trees, truth is, they are running out of time. My experience has been they get slower, start coming up short, and develope other traits that are totally out of character. There are exceptions to the rule, but it is not the norm. That’s why I don’t see it, but then, I don’t have to. If the buyer sees it, that’s all that matters.

Old Post 11-03-2017 12:44 AM