UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Food for Thought... Young vs Old
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Food for Thought... Young vs Old

So last week as many of you know I spend a week of my vacation in Sullivan Indiana at the Super Stakes Champ. Something I observed there that kind of blew my mind was the age of hunters. We all see, hear, talk about how the sport is dying and their is no youth and so on and to a point I believe that is 100% true. Well last week while sitting around the clubhouse I couldn't help but notice the majority population was fairly young (under 40). It surprised me! From there I thought maybe most of them were locals that just came to see what was going on but once again I was proved wrong. Out of 3 casts I hunted I only drew 1 guy around 50, and 1 around 40, the rest of them were 30 or younger. My quarter finals cast was a 3 dog and all three of us were probably 25 or so. Pretty reassuring thing for the industry IMO. KEEP THE YOUTH INVOLVED!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2019 03:55 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Us old guys can't keep up with the S/S pups of today. We have been bred out of the world of Professional Coonhunting. But it is great to hear that there are enough youngsters to carry on.

Old Post 04-18-2019 04:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Us old guys can't keep up with the S/S pups of today. We have been bred out of the world of Professional Coonhunting. But it is great to hear that there are enough youngsters to carry on.

I should have known one of you old turds would come up with something like this... SMH

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 04-18-2019 04:19 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

All you have to do is look at the cast pics for any major event to see that it is a young man (and womens) sport.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-18-2019 04:19 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by TylerOSU
I should have known one of you old turds would come up with something like this... SMH

Tyler I would love to be able to compete against you I used to like to what we called ( draw tuff ) there was always one cast at every hunt everybody waited for them to come back in because it was a cast of coondogs and top handlers. But it makes me feel good when you do good because I know how hard you work at it.

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 04:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Tyler, I would like for you to print and keep everything you post about old turds and read it in 35 years. Yes, it's gonna come faster than you think.

Old Post 04-18-2019 06:02 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Tyler, I would like for you to print and keep everything you post about old turds and read it in 35 years. Yes, it's gonna come faster than you think.

I'm sure it will come faster than I want it to, heck it already does! On a side note you guys are like the group of old men that sit at the coffee shop every morning...

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 04-18-2019 06:40 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I'm sure it will come faster than I want it to, heck it already does! On a side note you guys are like the group of old men that sit at the coffee shop every morning...

At one time many years ago tar was in his twenty’s. I sat at the hunts and listened to people ( because of respect ) like marv , Russ , mike, delton, joe, John, Lonnie and many many more well known dog men. And I learned from them things that saved me a lot of time and money. they told me those things to help me not to put me down.

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 08:52 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
At one time many years ago tar was in his twenty’s. I sat at the hunts and listened to people ( because of respect ) like marv , Russ , mike, delton, joe, John, Lonnie and many many more well known dog men. And I learned from them things that saved me a lot of time and money. they told me those things to help me not to put me down.

Tar

X 2, most of the people I hunted with was old turds and I listened to what they said, now most of the people I hunt with are young people.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-18-2019 09:19 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

I think you guys have misread me through the computer screen! I wasn't raised like most in my generation, I'm not looking for a pat on the back for everything I do. I was taught to work hard and if I get beat I get better or continue getting beat. I respect each and every one of you and hear everything you guys say (even if it is a bunch of bologna). I know I have a lot to learn still and will every day!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 04-18-2019 10:08 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I think you guys have misread me through the computer screen!.....

Maybe it is the "old turd" comments.

Old Post 04-18-2019 10:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We didn’t have social media back then hey we get to talk to somebody on here for free 1000 miles away how cool is that !!! We even had the party line and the old wemon in the neighborhood hogged it you had to keep interrupting them so they would get off of it lol. Got the book once a month I idolized those guys really felt like it was an honor for them to even talk to me.

And to walk in the breeders show case and see the world champ man what a feeling.

Tar

Old Post 04-19-2019 12:55 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, the Old Breeders Showcase, those were the days. Young hunters today don't even know what they are missing. Back then, the "old turds" and the youngsters were there side by side sitting at rows of picnic tables in one giant building. It was cool being one of the youngsters and watching and listening to what the "old turds" had to say and learning how to act from them.

Old Post 04-19-2019 01:05 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, the Old Breeders Showcase, those were the days. Young hunters today don't even know what they are missing. Back then, the "old turds" and the youngsters were there side by side sitting at rows of picnic tables in one giant building. It was cool being one of the youngsters and watching and listening to what the "old turds" had to say and learning how to act from them.

When I was a youngster I spent a lot of money on magazines and sometimes 250 dollar a month phone bills talking dogs...that was almost as much as was my house payment back then...

All these 18-25 year old youngsters have it going on...if they truly are dog men and dog women they have all this experience at their fingertips on the hunting dog forums...combining this knowledge with personal experience and they can take it to the next level...what took me many years to learn they can learn it in a year or two...

Old Post 04-19-2019 01:52 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Hey Tyler, you and I don't know each other from Adam but I'm going to say thanks for keeping the sport alive. It was encouraging to hear you report about the number of young guys at that event. I'm closing in on 61 and the body is still in pretty good shape for the most part, but guess I'm still an 'ol f*rt in the eyes of those carrying the torch these days. I'm thankful that as a kid growing up, the circumstances I was in placed me in the company of men that were often 2 generations my senior. Even then I could tell there were some who full of ..it. Yet a few of them lit a fire that's been burning for over 40 years. The coon hunting world has changed a lot in the last 40-50 years, some for good, some not so much but your generation needs to keep the torch lit and fit to pass on.

This may not go over well but if there is one exhortation I could leave you with its this, be careful with that little device about every one of you carry nearly 24 hrs a day. Cell phones make our lives easier yet their use is not always in the best interest of our sport or warranted.

Good luck in your endeavors and pursuits!

Old Post 04-19-2019 01:58 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Great Thread!

Tyler, what are you doing messing with us old codgers like this??

Keep it rolling young man!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 04-19-2019 03:11 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Fellas

One day I too hope to live to be considered an "old turd" and still have to love and passion for the sport like you guys do. I look up to you all for the fact that either A. you are bat crazy still chasing dumb dogs around the woods at night, or B. you must really love the sport. In 40 years I'll be lucky to even have enough ground to turn a dog loose, and even more lucky to find it worth it LOL