UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who else believes ?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Who else believes ?

That the day a pup is born it is born with its reproducing top coondogs ability. And that hunting them has no bearing on how well they reproduce it only makes us feel better when we breed them.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-14-2019 01:56 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Totally agree the day they are born they are all they are going to be.... shocking for covering another dog, whipping them to go hunting, hunting them by themselves to make them independent is all bs... they are born that way. The most independent dog I ever hunted with was very rarely cast by itself.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 04-14-2019 02:14 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

The best pressure tree dog I ever owned was a Grand Nite that was never hunted one nite alone in his entire life. Its the genes they are born with that gives them the desire to go hunting, the ability to trail good, the desire to look up a tree and bark a lot, their voice, size, color and every thing about all hunters do is teach them to lead and jump on a tailgate. Folks talk about training a dog, you dont all you do is take them to the woods and turn them loose with a older dog.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 04-14-2019 02:24 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jd6400
UKC Forum Member

Gotta agree with Wayne and Jim.......

Old Post 04-14-2019 02:37 PM
Jd6400 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jd6400 Click here to Send Jd6400 a Private Message Find more posts by Jd6400 Add Jd6400 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I do believe they are born with the genes they will pass on. I also believe there is more to training one then turning it loose.

Old Post 04-14-2019 02:53 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Who else believes ?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
That the day a pup is born it is born with its reproducing top coondogs ability. And that hunting them has no bearing on how well they reproduce it only makes us feel better when we breed them.

Tar

I believe it with the breeding male but not with the bred female, with one exception

Old Post 04-14-2019 03:04 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Well TAR that is a scientific fact.

Hunting them in no way increases their ability to reproduce. This is in the DNA end of story.

That said, the only way to have an idea of what genes they have to pass on is to look and see the traits the parents show.

Old Post 04-14-2019 03:18 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What I am saying to prove my point is. One of those females in that video that Corey put on the other thread is a littermate to my female she never was hunted over 25 times till she was bred and she is the mother of the Fred dog I got through the zones that was 3 yrs ago she is coming six and she hasent been hunted since. The other night she struck behind the dogs we just figured she was running junk till we heard her catch the coon the other dogs came back to her. We treed 5 more and she ran and treed on all and they didn’t beat her by much lol. How many dogs are setting in somebody’s pen that have never been given a chance would do the same thing I think more than we realize because they were born with it.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 03:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, that is true in the world of pleasure hunting but in today's world of comp hunting, it takes a lot more than just the ability to tree a coon to be a big winner. And a dog has to be "trainable".
How do you know that a dog has the ability if it is just sitting in a pen? Do you think that because a dog has a very nice littermate that it automatically also possesses the same ability? Do all of the pups in a litter posses the same genes when they are born? If so, then their training is the only difference. If not then how do you know which one has the most/best ability if you don't hunt them?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-14-2019 at 03:55 PM

Old Post 04-14-2019 03:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I believe a lot of personality, desires and other things that I don't have words for are instilled in the unborn, all animals including dogs and humans. The same way we are all affected at the time of birth

Old Post 04-14-2019 03:48 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Here is another one Richard all remember a big bluetick breeder here named Carl Cassie he gave me and James petty an 8 yr old female that had never been hunted just a pup raiser we went to go hunting and she was going crazy so we took her in 60 days she was treeing coons on everything we had and made ntch with 3 first place wins. I seen it a bunch.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 03:55 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Here is another one Richard all remember a big bluetick breeder here named Carl Cassie he gave me and James petty an 8 yr old female that had never been hunted just a pup raiser we went to go hunting and she was going crazy so we took her in 60 days she was treeing coons on everything we had and made ntch with 3 first place wins. I seen it a bunch.

Tar

I must not understand your original ? Bc this has nothing to with "reproducing top coondog abilities"

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:03 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Can different pups in a litter be affected by the birth process? Do some of them lose a lot of brain cells from a lack of oxygen during birth? Can this cause different intelligence levels in pups from the same litter? It seems to me that some pups in a litter are smarter than others.

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I must not understand your original ? Bc this has nothing to with "reproducing top coondog abilities"

What I am saying that your born with it hunting only exposes the gift. My brouther is an pretroleum engenier designs big refineries I am a big dummy if I went to school like he did I would still be a big dummy.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:12 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Can different pups in a litter be affected by the birth process? Do some of them lose a lot of brain cells from a lack of oxygen during birth? Can this cause different intelligence levels in pups from the same litter? It seems to me that some pups in a litter are smarter than others.

I bet I could cause an entire litter to be born scared of me. If I went out hollowed and screamed, beat heck out of her box and was a general A hole, they be would different dogs then if I treated the female friendly.

Last edited by sleepy head on 04-14-2019 at 04:31 PM

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:12 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Sleepy, Tarbaby can be hard to understand but what I think that he is saying is that females are born with their natural reproducing abilities and hunting or training them does not affect this.

Every post in a thread doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the original post. Sometimes threads wander off the original course. Some of us tend to babble.

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:13 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Preaching to the choir here Tar! Though I will say it would never be my 1st choice to raise a litter or buy a pup from unproven stock........be it coon hounds, beagles, bird dogs,etc.

Last edited by DL NH on 04-14-2019 at 04:17 PM

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:14 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head

Don’t worry, you’re not alone

All that counts is in tarbaby’s mind, it makes perfect sense!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:18 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

But if you went to school or were trained, you would be a big petroleum engineer dummy.
If you took a female that was a me too pack dog and trained her to be an independent loner will her pups be pack dogs or loners?

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:20 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Vic Stoll
...All that counts is in tarbaby’s mind, it makes perfect sense!

How would you like to be a thought wandering around in Tarbaby's mind. Tarbaby, when you die, you should donate your organs to science so they can study your brain.

Old Post 04-14-2019 04:26 PM
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

A dog will reproduce the same quality pups whether they are never hunted or not. Training dont improve genetics.

But genetics alone dont produce coon dogs. I dont think that a person makes a coondog so much as most people find away to mess up coondogs in making. Why same guys always has coon dog when others have littermate but never have coondogs.

Side Note... I know of Blue dog that's chop both ways and a covering machine. But have hunted with pups of his out 3 different litters and every pup has huge bawl track mouth. Some are even bawl on tree. And 80% of pups have been very independent. Raising pups is roll of dice at best.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-14-2019 05:50 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
A dog will reproduce the same quality pups whether they are never hunted or not. Training dont improve genetics.

But genetics alone dont produce coon dogs. I dont think that a person makes a coondog so much as most people find away to mess up coondogs in making. Why same guys always has coon dog when others have littermate but never have coondogs.

Side Note... I know of Blue dog that's chop both ways and a covering machine. But have hunted with pups of his out 3 different litters and every pup has huge bawl track mouth. Some are even bawl on tree. And 80% of pups have been very independent. Raising pups is roll of dice at best.

Yeah what he said !

I can’t help it I am a dummy I was born that way lol.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 06:31 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I had just this morning said to my wife that I was sure that the ability was there from the genetics but that environment and experiences had a lot to do with whether a dog made a coon dog. I also think I would rather have a dog that naturally had high intelligence rather than high desire to tree. I think the intelligent dog makes the really good dog. But hey, I'm just a big dummy like Tar so what I think might not be right!!!

Old Post 04-14-2019 06:43 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

With all thats being said there might be a dud in the litter that would pass on it's faults that you would never know about unless it's hunted. Thats the reason I want a pup out of a good female.

Old Post 04-14-2019 06:48 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I want a pup that is out of a good female that is out of a good female that is out of a good female that is out of a good female that is out of a good female....

Old Post 04-14-2019 07:49 PM