UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ehrlichia Question??
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Ehrlichia Question??

I have young dog that was diagnosed with ehrlichia, I run a month of doxy on her and give her two shots of the imizol and pulled her out and hunted her she looked like her old self I hunted her pretty hard the first 3 night and by weekend was looking no so good, so took back to vet and retested and still was showing positive for ehrlichia so put her on another 30 days of doxy. So she took her last pill 3 weeks ago and been hunting her dew nights a week and she isnt even close to same dog treeing some coon and moving good but not being as accurate as was, I do have her on multi vitamins and some pro biotic pills to help her and just seems like not even close to same dog idk what else to do!!

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-01-2019 04:26 AM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Mauney
UKC Forum Member

NO cure

As far as I know there is no cure for it. I got one here has it going on 6 years. They have good spells and bad. treat with Doxy. when they relapse. just have to live with it if you like the dog.

Old Post 01-01-2019 04:48 PM
Ed Mauney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Mauney Click here to Send Ed Mauney a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Mauney Find more posts by Ed Mauney Add Ed Mauney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Lash
UKC Forum Member

Time

Here is what I tried as recommended by a very wise man, treat with doxy 30 days, give red blood cell with every meal, only feed grain free dog food as the grain produces heat when digested, wait 60 days repeat, do not hunt dog for 1 year, give red blood cell in food for that year, dog will be about 60% of what it was, I tried everything before this and my dog was about 10% . This was a last ditch effort and it really helped my dog. Prior to becoming sick this was probably the best female I have ever hunted.

Old Post 01-01-2019 07:42 PM
Bill Lash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Lash Click here to Send Bill Lash a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill Lash Find more posts by Bill Lash Add Bill Lash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

It’s over now but here is where people mess up with this. The dog is sick bud. Just cause you ran the medicine through him doesn’t mean the dog is well. Just like any human being that’s deathly ill thats been treated he doesn’t jump back out there working 8 hour work days if his job is say cutting timber. Body needs time along with the meds to heal.
X got eurlikia around the age of 2-3. It never really messed with his accuracy I think because of my training he preferred to run other than make a mistake. That I had instilled into him before he got sick. But I noticed he was what I call sluggish. Just roam the country and would start a lot of tracks he never could finish. We ran the doxy through him a couple times just to go through the same thing again. So we ran the meds and the shot the third time. After coming off it I hunted him for short hunts. I never got him tore up (fighting live coons, dog fights, anything really that gets them tore up). I just hunted him lightly. We won over 16k this year with him alone but to be honest with you the dog still ain’t 100 percent and never will be. He can’t take them 6 hour nights, he can’t take that every night hunting. He just can’t take it. But lay him up and take him 3-4 nights a week for 2-3 hour hunts and he’s as good as anything in the country. Not bragging it’s just a fact. I hope yours gets better and I hope it can take more than mine cause that’s what keeps us from running hard is we know our dog can’t take it.

Old Post 01-01-2019 08:03 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

My sue dog came down with this I treated her just like jason said up above she's just as good as she was before and she can take all the hunting u won't to throw at her

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Old Post 01-01-2019 09:11 PM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jamie Smallwood
UKC Forum Member

I got one just turned 2 that got it I have tried everything the best thing about him was his accuracy and now not so much I have switched his feed all grain and salmon feed no red meat, also have been giving him the canine red cell for 2 months and been giving him multi vitamins aloe some joint vitamins and some l-lysine and pro biotics and dog acts good just not performing like I think should or like he was before

Old Post 01-01-2019 09:58 PM
Jamie Smallwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamie Smallwood Click here to Send Jamie Smallwood a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamie Smallwood Visit Jamie Smallwood's homepage! Find more posts by Jamie Smallwood Add Jamie Smallwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I have a male dog that had it early stages, I started treatment and made the mistake of letting someone hunt him, I told them do not hunt him during treatment. The jerks hunted him and about ruined him, slick trees possums everything him never done before. I got him home laid him up for 6 wks. He is 100 pct now. Maybe lay of your dog might help

Old Post 01-01-2019 10:39 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

My dollar dog had it when I bought him but I knew he had it guy was honest enough to,tell me I only had it flare,up one time he got sluggish but still treed more coon than most. My vet gave him the shot I layed him up a week or two and he was back on top of his game. But I never pushed him 6 nights a week neither he is coming 14 now and treed coons right up till I retired him.

Old Post 01-02-2019 12:57 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

I still have spells myself and it's been 11-12 years since LOOSER and I came down with it.

One thing I can tell you that helps is pushing hydration. Even a little bit dehydrated is telling.

Regardless, there's times when 100% just isn't in the realm of possibilities

Old Post 01-04-2019 05:24 AM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

Positive or negative are based on titer levels.

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Old Post 01-04-2019 02:30 PM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

thyroid

I hate to even mention this cause there's so much debate over thyroid dogs but after treating them for a tick disease such as erlichia or Lyme, you need to have their thyroid checked. My dog had Lyme. It took two cycles of Doxy to get him to test negative for it. After that his hunt was still off. He acted fine and didn't seem sick but he had no track mind. Took him back to the vet and his thyroid was low. Tick diseases will cause low thyroid.

Old Post 01-04-2019 06:01 PM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

Funny you should mention that. When LOOSER first showed signs and I took him to the vet, I used the vet in Girard ks that about every coonhunter around uses.

I was also advised to have his thyroid checked and mentioned that to the vet. No name of who advised it.

Vets response was "Jess Dickerson has thyroid on the brain ". 😂😂

I made him check anyway 😏

And he actually accused the wrong guy anyway tbh

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Old Post 01-06-2019 08:39 AM
sox12
UKC Forum Member

Ehrlichia on my one female it took a long time before she got close back to hunting like she did,when it is hot out you will notice she doesn't do as well when its cool.my opion its a lack of oxgen in the blood,it might take a while I wasn't able to run her every night to get her top performance out of her.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 01-06-2019 05:18 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Ok guys I run 60 days of Doxy thru my female give her two shots of the imizol, went back to hunting her a s she was treeing coon but just wasn't her old self. So took her back to vet had a complete blood count done everything was great. Had them check her thyroid and it was so low wouldn't even register. They give me some thyroid meds to five her I run 6 days thru her not hunting her then pulled her out and 1st 3 nights was back to her old self looking great, hunted her last night was crappy cold, rainy just as weather. She treed den and the covered like 8 miles hunting a d I picked her up, made another drop she treed a coon then she caught one on ground i walked in and had to kill the coon it was whipping her butt. I did hunt her little longer then has been. This morning her front legs are swelled and her muzzle from coon bite and just acts sore as heck and not even eating like normally

Old Post 01-14-2019 04:49 AM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Banderol will make the Doxy more potent.

Old Post 01-14-2019 10:56 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D Brothers
UKC Forum Member

I think you will find it will be a constant problem and your dog will not be able to take much hunting in warm weather, I had one and sold him to a pleasure hunter who just hunts in the winter.This is a bad disease.

Old Post 01-14-2019 03:02 PM
D Brothers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D Brothers Click here to Send D Brothers a Private Message Click Here to Email D Brothers Find more posts by D Brothers Add D Brothers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You think that it is hard on dogs? I talked to a coonhunter yesterday that I hadn't heard from in a year. He said that he had Erlichia and almost died. His hospital bill was $18,000. He is finally getting back to hunting a year after being diagnosed.

Old Post 01-15-2019 01:55 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

As has been mentioned most screw up by hunting the dog to early. The same with a thyroid just because u have them pills for a week there not better. It will take month for there thyroid to build back up. And then you may have to mess with the doseage. You also may have to asjusr doseage from summer to winter.

Old Post 01-15-2019 05:43 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I did Doxy for 2 months with the 2 shots had thyroid checked after words. HOUND made full recovery, but couldn't take the heat and died under the tree with the goods 167 yards from the truck. If you get one that gets back 60 % I would say you got lucky

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 01-16-2019 12:56 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaine Stout
UKC Forum Member

Everyone has their own vets thy like and use consistently. The vet I use tested my dog showed positive he gave me 30 days of pills. He told me let him before the first couple weeks then a little bit of light hunting until he was done with meds. He also told me that 50° was a good temp to go by. If its above 50 he doesn't get hunted hardly at all. If i do it's an hr or so here and there. Below 50 i hunt his hair off unless he shows signs of joint soreness. He is not the dog he was at 3yrs old but still wins the majority of his casts. He has never relapsed yet not saying he wont but so far so good.

It seems simple to me if you like the dog treat him and hunt him. You just cant push as hard as you did before. My vet said high stress is the quickest way to make them relapse.

Hounds that reside at Cedar Creek Ranch

WALKERS
Ch Grnitech Cedar Creek Paco

ENGLISH
Grch Blackfords C'mon Eileen
Nitech Wanna be a Lunatic

R.I.P
Nitech Cedar Creek Timbers Blu Junior

Old Post 01-16-2019 07:32 PM
Blaine Stout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaine Stout Click here to Send Blaine Stout a Private Message Click Here to Email Blaine Stout Find more posts by Blaine Stout Add Blaine Stout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Blaine mine same way she gets stiff and what will cause them to stress that will trigger it?

Old Post 01-17-2019 08:30 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by bluetikman
Blaine mine same way she gets stiff and what will cause them to stress that will trigger it?

Stress, heat, cold, over exertion ect all reduce the bodies natural immune system response. The weakened natural immune system causes relapses by allowing any part of the bacteria that may be hiding within the cells to flourish again.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-17-2019 08:59 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaine Stout
UKC Forum Member

Yes that's what my vet told me. They said hunting them had and heat are to 2 biggest causes of stress in hounds. Basically heat is the issue but when pushing them hard and hunting long hrs their body gets to hot and causes lots of stress on it. That coupled with a weakened system makes it easy to relapse.

My boy Paco will get so stiff he wont even try to get off the tailgate if I hunt him to hard. I just watch him and let him tell me when he is done. When I get ready to cut him he always pulls his leadstrap tight and "loads up for take off" lol. When I get ready to cut and he just stands for me to turn loose I usually just take him back to truck. If I cut him he will go but I can tell he is starting to get sore.

Hounds that reside at Cedar Creek Ranch

WALKERS
Ch Grnitech Cedar Creek Paco

ENGLISH
Grch Blackfords C'mon Eileen
Nitech Wanna be a Lunatic

R.I.P
Nitech Cedar Creek Timbers Blu Junior

Old Post 01-18-2019 02:31 PM
Blaine Stout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaine Stout Click here to Send Blaine Stout a Private Message Click Here to Email Blaine Stout Find more posts by Blaine Stout Add Blaine Stout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Matthews
UKC Forum Member

Titer

I was told by multiple vets that almost every dog in oklahoma will test positive lol. The last blood sample tested positive of course with a titer greater than 80. Anyone know what this means? Titer? I didnt have a chance to talk to the vet, they just faxed me the results. The one time i dealt with it the dog lost drive and accuracy and I suspected it but this one really wasnt showing signs yet..

NT CH BAD FORK KINK
GR NT CH BAD FORK GUS (RIP)
NT CH CLINES HOLLYWOOD RUBY
NT CH FOURCHE MALINE RED BUDDY

Old Post 01-19-2019 01:42 AM
Mike Matthews is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Matthews Click here to Send Mike Matthews a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Matthews Find more posts by Mike Matthews Add Mike Matthews to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Dont hold me to this but i believe Titer has to do with red blood cell count. My vet has to have the titer test sent off to get result I'm assuming to lab. But they also offer a snap test in office. And I agree every dog around here would prob test positive on snap test. The snap test is more less saying the dog has been bit by tick with tick disease at some point. This dont mean it they have symptoms or ever will. All I know for sure is I have had 2 come down sick with it. And spent lot time and money to only have a shell of the dog they was before. And from now on I will cut my losses lots sooner. A ounce prevention is worth pound cure.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 01-19-2019 05:07 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote