UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Returning to a tree, training question?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jmiller85
UKC Forum Member

Returning to a tree, training question?

Just wanting some in put on how people train when a pup returns to a tree that we done cast from. My 14 month old has done it twice. Seems to be a situation that can confuse the pup.
Thanks for any advice.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-27-2017 07:00 PM
Jmiller85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmiller85 Click here to Send Jmiller85 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmiller85 Find more posts by Jmiller85 Add Jmiller85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

We have done a few things, one is to lead them off and have someone waiting at the tree when they go back. The thing that has worked best is to send them strait from the tree. Don't lead them off more than a few feet and send them, if they turn around make them go on.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-27-2017 07:03 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

If you have him trained to follow you when you drop the lead take 5steps off the tree and drop the lean this will make it his idea to leave the tree instead of being dragged off.

Old Post 05-27-2017 07:47 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Just lead them a few feet off the tree and if they come back they have to deal with the punishment. There are a lot of ways to punish a hound and it doesn't have to be intense pain or emotional distress. I have found that a cheap horse crop that I get from tractor supply is the best thing for me to use. It is nothing but a short flexible rod with probably artificial leather 2 inch square folded in half attached to the end. You can hit me as hard as you can with it and it won't hurt me other than a sting that makes me not wanting to get hit again. We have two yorkies in the house and when people come over and sit on the couch they think is theirs they want to be all up in their laps. I show them this crop and tell them NO and they lay on the floor by the couch.
Same with the dog coming back to the tree. Send them on and make them understand you mean business and problem solved. We hunted a dog in one KC hunt that allowed the dog one return. Really can't say we noticed the dog returning but maybe he did and we weren't penalized for the one time and we were good with it. We hunted another KC that it is 100 minus first time back. First two hunts we hunted we had 100 and 100 out of the truck on a coon. Both hunts the dog went back and lost 100 points. It won't come back now and all it took is cutting him from the tree and use giving him some direction in his life.
Note: you said your dog was young. You have to totally evaluate your dog and depending on much you hunt and what the dog can stand. Choose the right time to do this. I say sooner the better but that might not be the correct answer for all dogs.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-27-2017 at 08:08 PM

Old Post 05-27-2017 08:05 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote