UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding Good Coonhounds.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Breeding Good Coonhounds.

I have read books. Studied Pedigrees. Flipped Coins and picked 4 Leaf Clovers. Here are some of the mysteries of breeding dogs.

1. The Super Stud! Not the one you think you have. Not the one your buddies try to make you believe they have. The one that speaks for himself through his offspring. The one you can breed and hunt. The one that you have to turn off the phone and take a lot of vacations to have any peace and quiet. They are few and far between. I don't think their presence can be explained other than they are a freak of nature that somehow gets a chance and they make the best of it.

2. I think the FEMALE plays a bigger role in breeding. I know the careful author that don't want to make anyone mad or get anyone to think they are crazy throws in the environment thing and that the pups are raised with the female and that is why. I am not sure if it is not just a genetic thing and I sure would sound crazy trying to explain it. But experience in watching pups grow up make me want to believe it.

3. Sticking with the female thing. I think at least 50% of the females getting bred. SHOULD NOT BE BRED. Probably could go as high as 75%.

4. If you have a male or female and they have a hole or you don't like something they do. I can tell you if you breed them you had better get over it, as some of the pups will be the same way and probably the one or ones you decide to keep. If it is a big hole---DONT BREED THEM.

5. Then when you think you are starting to figure it out you will be exposed to an excellent dog out of junk that should of never been bred. You scratch your head wondering. Problem is all too often that dog should not be bred to but is.

6. Last but not least. The wind is always changing directions. What line you might think is a good breeding choice in lets say in this 10 year span. Might not be the right choice in the next 10 year span. It could also flop around and a line you never thought you would breed to, might start to offer you something you need in your program.

Confused--So are most breeders!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-27-2017 07:48 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Another thought for the computer geek. I know there are pedigree data basis. The show an inbreeding coefficient of all the known dogs in the pedigrees. What we need the computer geek to do is take many 7 generation pedigrees from several different breeds and give each dog a code. Then pattern all the dogs bred and see if there is a pattern to line breeding, in breeding or outcrossing that shows up in many of the good dogs.

For example--Say you find in a pattern that a father-daughter cross always produced at least two Grand Nights from their litter or uncle niece cross produces a certain number of night champions per litter. Don't pattern specific dogs like lipper or sacket, jr by name. Pattern them on the relationships of the breeding pairs behind them.
I think the relationships of the breeding pairs play an important role. Maybe more so than the actual dogs. Kind of like you stack block to build a house. There are some ways doing it that are stronger than others.
Sometimes no relationship may be better than the wrong one.

Old Post 05-27-2017 08:51 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Bruce , at this time i have two young walker pups. One is 4 months old out of a young dog in our part of the country called Late Night Trax out of Redneck Mafia that is winning everything around here and a female Twisted Sister, that has produced some good dogs. Trax is GNT and $KC CH and Sister is GNT. Also have a 3 month old pup out of an accidental in the woods breeding of my Preacher dog (out of Mafia) and my buddy's dog. Now these dogs haven't been to town and Preacher is only 21 months old but they both tree coon in style. It will be interesting to see which pup makes the better dog. Funny if I had to choose right now I would take the second pup.To me it's really hard to know which dogs to breed to produce coon dogs.

Old Post 05-27-2017 11:48 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

I know it is hard to believe you get a dog like bone that has a very good reproduction record for reproducing good coon treeing dogs. Nobody talks about this other kind of dog that dominatly single handedly will destroy a good breeding program like getting a virus in your computer and that Carries a dominate gene of the stupidest , worthless , non hunting , good for nothin dogs on the earth often times that dog is a super dog himself but just can't reproduce even on a proven family of reproducers I found out this myself.

Old Post 05-28-2017 12:01 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bullboy
UKC Forum Member

breeding

Bruce great post for me the interesting thing with bone is he seemed to work on just about anything or is it like the old days when the bad get lost. I firm believe in line breeding best to best line bred with serious old time culling no such thing as a brood bitches all proven bitches. Ii'm in the genetics field with cattle as a job, dairy cattle there are traits that are more heritable then the next which means 1 is easier to breed in then the next and some are very low it would be interesting if there is the same in dogs

Old Post 05-28-2017 01:02 AM
bullboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bullboy Click here to Send bullboy a Private Message Click Here to Email bullboy Find more posts by bullboy Add bullboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I have a question for you guy's to think about
Were those old Great breeders we read about Lying? lol
How did they do it? Or did they? Really would love to hear everyone's opinion. Is it the dogs or the breeders? Or both
Hmmm?

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 05-28-2017 01:06 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

Those great breeders usually had 5 genrations or more of their dogs and usually put alot of pups on the ground but they also knew when an above average one popped up out of their dogs they would go buy it and advertise it like they all was that good most cases not so most like me I have had several generations of my dogs if I had a puppy and it turned out it probly would be close to 3 yrs old before you seen me at a hunt why ? Because I like to wait and see what qualities it's going to have as well as faults I have seen tons of 15 month old wonder dogs out of top advertised studs that at 2 1/2 yr old weren't worth a crap for nothin.

Old Post 05-28-2017 01:46 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote