UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > UKC - No Tree Countdown?
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
z sinnwell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
Of all the cast I've been on since 1974 I've only been beaten by a "ME-TO'er" once. And would not have been beaten by him if he had not been ill and light broke.

I am against the count-down tree points. If my dog does not get 1st tree and there are no other dogs at the tree I will wait until the last to claim second tree. This is to give your dog a chance to leave; and it won't be because my dog forced it to leave. I quit hunting a dog if it causes trouble at the tree.

Breed Reps for the rules committee are usually picked from the officers and board members and most are avid competitors.

So on your situation above where you wait until the last second to tree, you are applying even more pressure on a dog to stay treed (which it should), but you are giving your dog every opportunity to leave without penalty for 4:55 seconds. And you feel that your dog, that essentially only has to stay treed until the cast gets there, should receive 75 points because it stayed there while you were walking in?

It appears that if this is the reason you are a supporter of non-declining tree points- than you like the rules as they are so you can play a game and try to win by others taking minus instead of trying to win with a better hound. The supporters of declining tree are trying to reward the dog that actually treed the coon and not one that came in late.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-11-2018 05:32 PM
z sinnwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for z sinnwell Click here to Send z sinnwell a Private Message Find more posts by z sinnwell Add z sinnwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)

I am against the count-down tree points. If my dog does not get 1st tree and there are no other dogs at the tree I will wait until the last to claim second tree. This is to give your dog a chance to leave; and it won't be because my dog forced it to leave. I quit hunting a dog if it causes trouble at the tree.

[/B]
Possibly the best scenerio a person could give of why a countdown is needed..

Old Post 10-11-2018 06:06 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ptmike
UKC Forum Member

I think the rules are just fine the way they are all people want to do is complain and most of them don't even hunt in the hunts

Old Post 10-11-2018 06:35 PM
Ptmike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ptmike Find more posts by Ptmike Add Ptmike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ptmike
UKC Forum Member

If you don't like the rules go somewhere else you know I love coon hunting but some people take it way too serious it's just coon hunting

Old Post 10-11-2018 06:36 PM
Ptmike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ptmike Find more posts by Ptmike Add Ptmike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
z sinnwell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ptmike
If you don't like the rules go somewhere else you know I love coon hunting but some people take it way too serious it's just coon hunting

Everyone on this board loves coonhunting, or they wouldn't be on it. People are just questioning some of the rules and trying to develop a better system to score a dog's ability to tree raccoons. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Old Post 10-11-2018 06:43 PM
z sinnwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for z sinnwell Click here to Send z sinnwell a Private Message Find more posts by z sinnwell Add z sinnwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Ptmike
I think the rules are just fine the way they are all people want to do is complain and most of them don't even hunt in the hunts
Yea, leave them rules alone. Always wanting to change the playing rules and complain about something. To be sure them Super $$$ All Grand title dogs can win their share when hunting with them ole fashioned pleasure dogs of yesteryear cover them. That must be why some of these dogs of yesteryear are resurfacing nowdays. Lol. Show me the Monai!

Old Post 10-11-2018 08:21 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

One thing I have noticed over the last decade is everyone looks at a dogs ability differently. Some accept a slow and steady track dog, some do not. Some want dead loners that run a mile. I hunt 2 kennel clubs, both very different rules but I know when I sign up I'm agreeing to follow those rules no matter if I agree with them or not.

Personally, I can't ever accept a dog I'm toting around taking 2nd trees be it 30 seconds or 4 minutes into the tree. I will have words with the dog and if it's track speed doesn't improve without sacrificing accuracy then I will go to the next dog.

We all know that in UKC a dog has 4 minutes and 59 seconds to be guaranteed that 75. I hate to see this type of dog win in any kennel club but I have seen and even done it many many times. I once apologized to a guy in a cast several years ago because his dog had treed 3 coon and mine backed his on all 3 and backed another on 2. It was embarrassing for me but by the rules I was the winner. I guess the ? is can you live with that style. I can't and won't.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 10-11-2018 09:09 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

A countdown is a good example of people getting excited over a possible rule change that has no drawbacks at all. One post talks about how much easier the titles will be to earn, here is a rule change that will make winning a little tougher for me to, slow covering, piggyback type hounds. Whats the downside??

Old Post 10-12-2018 04:24 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

As long as their is 2ed,3rd,4th tree , we'll have subpar dogs winning casts/hunts.
Eliminate those 3 positions or at least 2ed,&3rd and they won't stand a chance .

Old Post 10-12-2018 05:53 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
As long as their is 2ed,3rd,4th tree , we'll have subpar dogs winning casts/hunts.
Eliminate those 3 positions or at least 2ed,&3rd and they won't stand a chance .

we are all just 2nd looser to the world champion. That makes all grand nite champions sub par. Maybe we should call them participation titles. Lol

Old Post 10-12-2018 01:26 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Pam , how dare you cloud the issue with facts , LOL.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-12-2018 02:21 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Gaining a "participation title" are on the horizon starting 2019.. just win your cast
that will be good enuff!

Old Post 10-12-2018 02:53 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:

Yea, and while their at it, eliminate any strike points after first strike and they won't stand a chance.

Old Post 10-12-2018 03:56 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Gaining a "participation title" are on the horizon starting 2019.. just win your cast
that will be good enuff!

Thats how its been around here for awhile. 1-2 reg cast and seldom more than a cast of Nite Champs..

Old Post 10-12-2018 05:05 PM
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

Here's how you handle the barking backpacker that runs over late to help your dog keep his coon in the tree.. you minus it for quitting it's track ,.. If it's barking over yonder then runs way over to help yours at the tree it clearly quit it's track.. minus

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 10-12-2018 05:45 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jay brademeyer
Here's how you handle the barking backpacker that runs over late to help your dog keep his coon in the tree.. you minus it for quitting it's track ,.. If it's barking over yonder then runs way over to help yours at the tree it clearly quit it's track.. minus

lol

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 10-12-2018 06:13 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K. Singletary
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
A countdown is a good example of people getting excited over a possible rule change that has no drawbacks at all. One post talks about how much easier the titles will be to earn, here is a rule change that will make winning a little tougher for me to, slow covering, piggyback type hounds. Whats the downside??

The downside is the rule promotes independence. Independence requires more land to hunt while hunting land is shrinking in most areas. If we keep going on this path casts will be 1 turnout and done, the 1 hour hunts are getting close to that now.

ChNtCh Allnite Gypsy Girl

Old Post 10-12-2018 07:04 PM
K. Singletary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K. Singletary Click here to Send K. Singletary a Private Message Click Here to Email K. Singletary Find more posts by K. Singletary Add K. Singletary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

The only people that don't want a progressive tree are the fellas hunting backpacking me too type dogs....

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 10-12-2018 07:07 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jay brademeyer
The only people that don't want a progressive tree are the fellas hunting backpacking me too type dogs....

Some of are voting we do not care either way drop it 3 minutes , drop it down to 2 stationary rule to 1 , heck just hunt all the dogs by themselves at every hunt.

100 - 1 dog casts at the world hunt.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-13-2018 03:56 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
Some of are voting we do not care either way drop it 3 minutes , drop it down to 2 stationary rule to 1 , heck just hunt all the dogs by themselves at every hunt.

100 - 1 dog casts at the world hunt.

Heck yeah,that'll work. Weed out the champions that won't hunt or tree coons by themselves. The ones that can get that title quicker and theres no need for strike or tree Countdown points , just coon seen,more cast wins for dogs

Old Post 10-13-2018 05:39 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Isn't this called the second round of the world hunt?

Old Post 10-13-2018 02:25 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

How many get beat consistently by me tooers?

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 10-13-2018 03:33 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
How many get beat consistently by me tooers?

9nly way I win. 75 all night long

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 10-13-2018 11:42 PM
swamp1
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkinriver
[B]Isn't this called the second round of the world hunt? It is. Leave them rules alone!

Old Post 10-14-2018 03:31 PM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Hey we had a great hunt at the OK State hunt in Miami last night despite the rain. 45 dogs Friday night 35 Saturday night. Not super but not bad considering the weather. Since a lot of us tend to be anti-establishment in the political arena and we tend to dislike and distrust establishment politicians because they are the disease masquerading as the cure. We just need to be careful and not fall into the same trap about a sport we all love and enjoy no matter the KC we hunt or if we are pleasure hunters who just have sorry old varmint dogs. We do not need to be the disease that masquerades as the cure for low hunt numbers. JMHO and S/FI!

Old Post 10-14-2018 10:36 PM