UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > UKC - No Tree Countdown?
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, 2 dogs only treed 2 coons each while the 3rd dog was fast enough to get under all 4 coons? It sounds to me like the first 2 dogs were either awfully slow or that 323rd dog was awfully fast. It sounds like the 3rd dog was a pretty nice hound.
Sounds pretty nice? Its unknown if he can tree his own coon or hunt alone. How could you assume he's nice??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-09-2018 04:13 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Regardless. He was the best dog that night.

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:04 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

If you want that type of dog more power to ya. That’s why there’s so much junk floating around. Enjoy your me too sh@t

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:47 AM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
My idea would still to keep UKC unique from other kennel clubs. UKC is taking an approach to give something to everyone and that is good business hence the reason for the new double headers, small $ hunts and rumored larger $ hunts. You can take $50 dollars of money put a little gas in the truck and pay an entry win a yellow slip or now a chance to win that entry back - good business to give both types of hunters the opportunity.
Countdown is a great idea and but should still be unique. The format for the Super Slams has been very popular with the hunters. First tree is worth 125 like always, unlike others where strike and tree are if equal value. Dogs may cover on trees up to 2 minutes with regular 75, 50 and 25. After 2 minutes any who tree get 25. This format rewards the dog that treed the coon, still allows for a pack mentality up to a point but doesn't allow the super slow track dog or the me-too dog to receive more tree points than deserved. It's easy to follow and doesn't require any extra stop watch work, judges are already watching for 5 min to expire. The rule has already been tested for 2 years with a huge amount of support from hunters and includes many who do not typically hunt for $s so it would work well across the board for all hunts.

I agree I like this rule in the SS on a 2 minute countdown. Not just for dogs that come in at 4:55 to the tree but also as a cast member. As a cast member you can now stand for 2 minutes to give handlers the chance to tree there dogs after the 2 you start walking and there is no reason to stop till there is 30seconds left on the tree. With this rule it gives no advantage for a handler to walk fast and get 30ft ahead to stop early and tree his dog before the other handlers catch up an stop, nor does it give a handler incentive to lag behind watching his garmin to stop early and tree his dog before the rest of the cast stops to listen. After 2 minutes they all get 25 so walk till there is 30 seconds left then stop and let everyone listen and call there dogs if they are treed.

319-201-8445

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:48 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

This is why I don’t internet hunt🤦‍♂️

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:49 AM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson

I would say he had the best handler. rofl

319-201-8445

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:51 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Handling had nothing to do with it. When you have the chance to cover 8 coon and you’re a me too pos you can win. Common sense should tell you that.

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:54 AM
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Pratt
Handling had nothing to do with it. When you have the chance to cover 8 coon and you’re a me too pos you can win. Common sense should tell you that.

I would be interested to know what that dog had for a score?

319-201-8445

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:57 AM
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I had one treed again deep at the end that would have gave me the cast but this dog covered from nowhere at 4 some minutes. Berger how do I prevent that? 🙄

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:58 AM
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I believe I had 825 and he got part of my last coon and beat me by 50. The dog was not under all coons but he went back and forth covering my dog and another dog. To make it clear

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:59 AM
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Pratt
I had one treed again deep at the end that would have gave me the cast but this dog covered from nowhere at 4 some minutes. Berger how do I prevent that? 🙄

Have a faster track dog that would have gotten treed a minute sooner. LOL

319-201-8445

Old Post 10-10-2018 01:00 AM
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Why? So the dog could have covered mine a minute sooner? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Old Post 10-10-2018 01:08 AM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Nope, just was able to munipulate a flawed point system and follow dogs doing the work close enough to win. I once titled a gyp that COULD NOT, WOULD NOT tree a coon alone.

Old Post 10-10-2018 01:23 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gatewood kennel
UKC Forum Member

countdown

if a hound I'm hunting is gonna cover another, in which I'm not a fan of, it better be before 2 minutes is up or it wont eat my feed ,but that's just me, i like a countdown heck for that
matter if any dog cant cover within 2 minutes it probably don't need to be there to begin with

Old Post 10-10-2018 01:23 AM
gatewood kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gatewood kennel Click here to Send gatewood kennel a Private Message Find more posts by gatewood kennel Add gatewood kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
Nope, just was able to munipulate a flawed point system and follow dogs doing the work close enough to win. I once titled a gyp that COULD NOT, WOULD NOT tree a coon alone.
I seen a $100 one win the state hunt one year.

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:00 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Tree

If you don't have one that'll cover around here in certain areas, you're already beat. Theres 1 coon per bucket and they better be ready to scrap to cover.

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:06 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Don’t take this wrong because I understand what your point is, but if so many people are just breeding dogs to be winners and not coondogs why aren’t people breeding dogs to be like the dog you described? After all it’s all about winning? From the response on here it sounds like it happens often. If it does happen often I would think a lot of this type of dog would win most events and folks would breed for it. I understand your frustration with it and I have been beat by one that covers often but they usually have to tree a extra coon to do it and some times it happens. I hate that this got ugly , I was just looking for insight.

Last edited by Sonny Phipps on 10-10-2018 at 02:51 PM

Old Post 10-10-2018 11:56 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Sonny you ever heard one of the old folks say ( it ain't how much money you make its how much you save ) I think the problem with today's hounds are they got them bred so high strung to where they are unpredictable. Watch the play by plays they will be beating the brakes off everything. Then make a stupid mistake that opens the door for let's say a back packer to beat them. Less mistakes equals more wins. This is from watching the dogs competing on the highest levels.

It ain't how many points you score it's how many you keep.

From the old folks home.

Tar

Old Post 10-10-2018 12:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

With all the questionable things that goes on in the nite hunts we read about on here, here's something else that might happen with a count down rule. Those leafy trees that are always circled when they probably should have been minus, will be minus now, because the three people only getting 25 points each will break it off in the dog holding 125 and there's nothing you can do about that with a non-hunting judge even if you are carrying the score card. Say what you want, people look for any way or reason to minus or scratch somebody and this will be just another one of those reasons.

Old Post 10-10-2018 01:37 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Gosh I just don't know where y'all are hunting that all this cheating is going on but let me know I don't want to go there. I live 30 miles from c**c head quarters hunted in a lot of their hunts. They are pretty much what we are talking about here. Get you some of their rules get you 4 of your buddies and try it just for fun or the slam rules I think you will like them I do. Most that are scared of them have never hunted under them. I took a last strike dog and a first tree dog with a coon and won 10 out of 12 cast in 60 days about $1,100.

Tar

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:11 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Mr Allen, I guess that's reason I've never minded being a small timer. We can take our dogs to 8 different clubs, hunting both KC's, all of them withing an hour or so. And week in and week out, you are hunting against guys and gals you have drawn many times before. You know them, they know us and everyone is considered a friend. There will be disagreements and the occasional cast vote but things are always settled in the woods and getting it broke off in you is a rare thing that dont never get repeated.
Now you drive 2 states away to hunt those big hunts where you draw people you never seen before, you dont know them, they dont know you, I can see it might he a different world. But being small time, we just read about it. Thank God for that.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:19 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, I just wish that I lived where you can score on 8 coons in a 2 hr hunt.

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:24 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
[B]Sonny you ever heard one of the old folks say ( it ain't how much money you make its how much you save ) I think the problem with today's hounds are they got them bred so high strung to where they are unpredictable. Watch the play by plays they will be beating the brakes off everything. Then make a stupid mistake that opens the door for let's say a back packer to beat them. Less mistakes equals more wins. This is from watching the dogs competing on the highest levels.

It ain't how many points you score it's how many you keep.

From the old folks home.

Now that you mention it, about every time I got beat by the me too dog, mine messed up and left him/ her (or I miss called) within striking distance.

Last edited by Sonny Phipps on 10-10-2018 at 02:53 PM

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:50 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

Fellows I'm not saying cheating happens everywhere, but it does happen. When someone asks a question on here about something that happened to them on a nite hunt where the rules from another kc was used in a UKC hunt or a rule was twisted to the benefit of the judge carrying the score card when new or young hunters are on the cast, that could be called cheating. You see it on here and the response is "they should know the rules before entering a hunt" or " they paid good money to learn a lesson". It happens in small hunts as well as the larger hunts and you can say what you want to about how everybody you hunt with sleeps at the foot of the cross when it comes to there being honest in nite hunts including some of you, but I beg to differ.

Old Post 10-10-2018 02:55 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I watched a blue gyp win the TX state hunt one night and she never treed a coon. She drew 2 coondogs on a 3 dog cast. It worked out for her to run back and forth between the 2 getting 75 on 7 coon that with her strike points gave her 975. The gyp that treed 4 lost the cast with 950. That's the reason for a count down.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 10-10-2018 03:25 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote