UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do you feel the PURPOSE of a Coon Hound has Changed.
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Honalieh

Well spoken, I agree 100%. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-03-2018 09:02 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadinc
Pam, tracking ability has NOTHING to do with accuracy. Locating ability is what makes a dog accurate. If it was about tracking ability, fox dogs would make the most accurate tree dogs. Right now I have one of the best track dogs I ever owned. She gets to the tree and looks completely lost. She circles for 10 minutes, smells up 5 or 6 trees then leaves. She can't find where the coon is. [

shadinc I sure have to disagree. IMO tracking ability has everything to do with accuracy. They have to get to the end of the track to be accurate. Not when the track gets difficult just grab a tree. If your track dog won't tree when she gets to the end of the track then she's a cull instead of a coondog. These top reproducing treedogs are getting far enough back in pedigrees that maybe someone will start breeding trackdogs again.

Bingo, Hope so, cause its been going downhill fast for about 35 years and counting. The States with a coon under every hedgebush next to cornfields it seems are fading fast. But then again theres always feeder buckets to promote them awhile longer.Lol. I wonder why some say a colder nose trackdogs gene is recessive? I never seen that years ago in breeding them until they started buyiny these top reproducing treedogs thinking they were better than what they had and culling trackdogs they had. Only to realize later on they didn't. I got one out of All Grand So and So, can really seeck'em up a little bush, fast, loud,ambushTreedog . Lol

Old Post 10-03-2018 08:38 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy

Our kill season opened September 21st, so far we have made 19 trees and looked at coons in 17 trees, hunting in these mountains. Most trees are Hugh and the underbrush dense, sometimes it may take 30 minutes or more to find the coon, but we usually find them. The 2 trees we didn't find were Hugh oaks and almost impossible to shine, 17 out of 19 ain't bad folks especially in the mountains, No fence rows or easy shining trees. Not bragging, just letting you know there are definitely accurate dogs, don't settle for less. Dave

Old Post 10-03-2018 10:09 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

coonhounds changed

I would have to say it has they were to feed your family and get hides...competition wasn't there meaning at all ...????

Old Post 10-04-2018 04:02 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY NOW DAYS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 10-05-2018 03:36 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Re: coonhounds changed

quote:
Originally posted by treedog69
I would have to say it has they were to feed your family and get hides...competition wasn't there meaning at all ...????
Yep, when the pleasure hunter went to the hunts to enjoy fellow coon hunters and got pulled into the champion this and champion that $💰 game. Then along came the treedog for $💰 game, then alpng came rule changes in hunts. Now what they got everybody has got, "truth".Now lets switch back to what we had years ago. The truly great dogmen breeders didn't competition hunt and if some did, it won't for long because of the drama even back then. People knew by word of mouth who had good dogs.

Old Post 10-05-2018 06:13 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Newcomers to an area and people just looking for a good dog used to go to the local furbuyer. He could always tell you who had the good dogs.

Old Post 10-05-2018 07:35 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Most hunters today want "hotnosed" accuracy, strike and tree hot tracks. True pleasure hunters want their dogs to take all tracks i,e, cold tracks, feed tracks, etc. And tree them all with ACCURACY. I know that's what I want and I won't settle for less. Dave

Old Post 10-05-2018 07:51 PM
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Newcomers to an area and people just looking for a good dog used to go to the local furbuyer. He could always tell you who had the good dogs.
yep and the fur buyer and kin i dealt with had good dogs. Lincoln Barber.

Old Post 10-05-2018 08:16 PM
tjll
UKC Forum Member

dogs

I started hunting in 1978 and since then there has been 3 or 4 changes the first was the fur market bottomed out in the mid 80s the shift went to dual grand NT Ch. titles these were a dog with this title was highly regarded also breed days champions and autumn oaks national Ch. were highly regarded then in mid90s the all grand pedigrees and pkc pup programs became very popular a ukc title started becoming less important to many hunters in some ways we have come full circle the hides aren't worth anything and all grand pedigrees are no longer worth alot either a good coon treeing dog like hide and pleasure hunters had 40 yrs. ago are in demand society has changed alot in 40 years but the coonhunters that hunted a good dog then still hunt a good one today

Old Post 10-05-2018 08:19 PM
tjll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjll Click here to Send tjll a Private Message Click Here to Email tjll Find more posts by tjll Add tjll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

tj11

You are right about that, once you hunt a real good dog, you won't settle for less. Me and my hunting buddy are hunting 2 of the best we have ever owned. We enjoy these dogs just as much now, as we did when coons were bringing top dollar. It's not about the money, it's about having a top coonhound that one enjoys hunting every night you hunt. Dave

Old Post 10-05-2018 08:31 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

tj11

You are right about that, once you hunt a real good dog, you won't settle for less. Me and my hunting buddy are hunting 2 of the best we have ever owned. We enjoy these dogs just as much now, as we did when coons were bringing top dollar. It's not about the money, it's about having a top coonhound that one enjoys hunting every night you hunt. Dave

Old Post 10-05-2018 08:32 PM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Hunt whatever style or breed dog that pleases you and you alone , no one else is buying your dog food or your gas to go hunting. I hunted with Preacher Tom this week and his Mafia bred dog , real nice man and a real good hound, great sportsmanship and fellowship made 5 trees and seen coon in 4 of them in 2 nights. And I do not mind saying it if it would have been anything other than a pleasure hunt , which is what all hunts should be Tom's dog Preacher was the Cast Winner both nights we hunted. Always remember about these hounds boys they are DOG'S not GOD'S. We had no trash trouble either. Not even a Possum. Great hunting with you Tom we will do it again soon.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-06-2018 03:49 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
Hunt whatever style or breed dog that pleases you and you alone , no one else is buying your dog food or your gas to go hunting. I hunted with Preacher Tom this week and his Mafia bred dog , real nice man and a real good hound, great sportsmanship and fellowship made 5 trees and seen coon in 4 of them in 2 nights. And I do not mind saying it if it would have been anything other than a pleasure hunt , which is what all hunts should be Tom's dog Preacher was the Cast Winner both nights we hunted. Always remember about these hounds boys they are DOG'S not GOD'S. We had no trash trouble either. Not even a Possum. Great hunting with you Tom we will do it again soon.

Chuck we had a good time and your invited anytime. But you are right they are just dogs. The next night I went after we had hunted, I treed 2 singles in an hour and went home. BUT (that's the word that always changes things) last night I went and one den tree, struck one on a pond and ran it over 400 yards in rag weeds higher than your head and put it in the ground (yes coons do go in the ground). So not a real good hunt. Dog was real hot after running in the rag weeds so we just came home.

Old Post 10-06-2018 02:07 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen

Chuck we had a good time and your invited anytime. But you are right they are just dogs. The next night I went after we had hunted, I treed 2 singles in an hour and went home. BUT (that's the word that always changes things) last night I went and one den tree, struck one on a pond and ran it over 400 yards in rag weeds higher than your head and put it in the ground (yes coons do go in the ground). So not a real good hunt. Dog was real hot after running in the rag weeds so we just came home.

Old Post 10-06-2018 02:07 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards

I started coon hunting about 35 yrs ago I had a little walker female that was a track dog and accurate she got hit by a car and I quit for a while when I got back in I couldn't find what I was looking for until about three yrs ago I bought a walker male puppy from july 1 he has shown me 32 single coons out of 40 trees maybe not the best in the world but he suits me and he's my best hunting partner. hope we can cross paths one day and have a good hunt.

Old Post 10-06-2018 02:22 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

100%hunter

Sounds like you have a good prospect, the accuracy get better with age and experience. You are always welcome to come for a hunt, just pm anytime for further information, I would enjoy hunting with you anytime. Dave

Old Post 10-06-2018 03:19 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

mr richards

thanks

Old Post 10-06-2018 05:46 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote