UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup wont tree--Suggestions?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bphart8530
UKC Forum Member

Pup wont tree--Suggestions?

I have an almost 9 month old pup. She has been running track for over two months, but she won't tree. She moves around the woods great, runs tracks and then is on to the next one. It's not uncommon to follow her track on the garmin and find a coon looking down. She is often too deep to keep up with, so we haven't tried to chase her around the woods. She has no interest in being with the older dogs, so a pup trainer does us no good. We have tried a few turn loose coons and its the same thing. She barks at them, chases them up a tree and then loses interest.

If it matters, she is Buck Creek on the top and a little of everything on the bottom including Hardwood Elvis Attack and Sackett JR.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bphart8530 on 05-25-2018 at 05:33 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2018 02:51 AM
bphart8530 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bphart8530 Click here to Send bphart8530 a Private Message Find more posts by bphart8530 Add bphart8530 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Pup

Just keep hunting her her switch will flip. We have a English male pup that done the same thing this kill season. Started running track at six months old never even looked up a tree until he was ten months old. Treed ever since. You can’t make them tree just keep her in the woods.

Old Post 05-25-2018 02:58 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

A few of the buck Creek dogs will track before they tree.

I do turn out s , by themselves

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:22 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

One of my breeding criteria is if a hound hadn't started treeing by the 12th month, it is not breeding material.

Give your pup time. I have seen several top stay put tree dogs that start treeing until closer to their first birthday.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 05-25-2018 06:15 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze2014
Banned

Put her up for a while.

Old Post 05-25-2018 06:21 PM
Blaze2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze2014 Click here to Send Blaze2014 a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze2014 Add Blaze2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Had the same—-

Bought a 8 week old pup out of GR NITE parents. Outstanding parents and the sire was what I really wanted to ad in this line. Famous outstanding hounds in this breed.

Fought good and tracked great BUT would not tree or look up. Could hang a coon 4 feet of the ground and he would just lay down like it wasn’t there

Give him WAY TO MUCH TIME, 2 seasons in fact. Face it, they all don’t have it and the feed cost the same for those that do.

As Mr Roy once said, you can teach them sometimes but it’s a lot better if it comes natural.

From what you say and at that age, I would move on.

Old Post 05-25-2018 06:49 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cabins
UKC Forum Member

Track bred dogs will tree when they figure the bad tracks out. The dog will probably b accurate. Don't fall in w the slick tree crowd. If i have a pup that trees before it tracks I would b disappointed. They all like a big jug headed tree monster that why they have been getting their butts kicked for last 20 years

Old Post 05-25-2018 08:31 PM
cabins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cabins Click here to Send cabins a Private Message Click Here to Email cabins Find more posts by cabins Add cabins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martinbnt
UKC Forum Member

I have one did the same thing exactly, loved to track but would not tree n was to far away to get to in time ,about the time he was 1 to 1.5 he started to tree on his own is accurate and is independent witch it sounds like she is to

Old Post 05-26-2018 01:21 AM
Martinbnt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martinbnt Click here to Send Martinbnt a Private Message Click Here to Email Martinbnt Find more posts by Martinbnt Add Martinbnt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Keep it tied back at a couple trees, don't let it have any fur, but watch other dogs be rewarded with the fur. After a couple times of that it should start to tree

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 05-26-2018 01:36 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

tie her up close to the tree . get down on all 4s and bark like a dog . rare up on the tree beside her and bark and show her how it is done .pet her and pat on the tree . if that dont work grab her by her ears and rub her nose on the tree . swing her around and round by the ears and slam her to the ground .lol tie her back up and get down on all 4s and repeat process . had a buddy with a blue tick and saw him do this for a couple months . ole blue made a pretty good tree dog on the third month .lol (true story).lol seriously at 9 months old i would just hunt her on the good nights every now and then . i have found the ones who are a little slow to start treeing dont miss as much .those 6 moth old tree monsters that do a lot of slick treeing all their life . good luck .

Old Post 05-26-2018 04:48 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lukeduke73
UKC Forum Member

I agree with the guy that says tie her back and let her see the other dogs get rewarded

Rip GR NT CH GR CH SWEET DREAMS Made Dual Grand at 19m old placed 3rd at Walkerdays at 14 m
Flash!!!!!!Rider is at 4 on the current
reproducing list
6 Generation All Grand Gr.CH.Gr .NT. CH .Midnight Rider 7th overall at ky st youth hunt at 7 m old. Made nt ch at 9 months old
Ch. Nt.Ch.Midnight Lucy Lou off Rider xDr.Law female
Back n Black kennels where we breed dogs for the future and not living in the past.
1-606-474-0738
1-304-549-3735

Old Post 05-26-2018 05:26 AM
lukeduke73 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lukeduke73 Click here to Send lukeduke73 a Private Message Click Here to Email lukeduke73 Find more posts by lukeduke73 Add lukeduke73 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bphart8530
UKC Forum Member

Update

Dog located, treed, and stayed for the first time last night. Almost 13 months old. I would like to tell you guys everything I did to “train her.”
•only hunted her alone, except for a couple times
•tone broke her. Everytime she quit a track I toned her back to the last place she had barked.
•based off of her track on my garmin, and occasionally finding the coon, I tied her back to a tree where the track ended. That broke the habit of her going on, but didn’t make her tree. .
•trained her to bark everytime she got tied back. I did this by tying her back, and walking away til she barked. Everytime she barked I would walk closer than pet her.
•the hope was for her to be tied back and smell some of those tracks going up the tree. Then relate the barking on the leash to the track going up.
•eventually, she started smelling up those trees and barking on her own after I tied her back.. I would then untie her but make her stay at the tree and “tree” while I pet her. So she learned to bark with no leash on.
... It took about 25 of these kind of trees. Not killing very many coon at all. Some may think all of what I did was extreme. Or that there was a better method. I personally do not think there would be a better method. This is my first coon hound i have bought to train. No ones training techniques made a whole lot of sense so I made up my own. Lol. And to be honest, I don’t think just putting her in the woods with older dogs over and over again was going to help her. Just wanted to give you an update

Old Post 10-02-2018 09:29 PM
bphart8530 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bphart8530 Click here to Send bphart8530 a Private Message Find more posts by bphart8530 Add bphart8530 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Congratulations, excellent job for your first time training attempt. Every dog is different, different things work for different dogs, it's up to the trainer to figure what works with each dog. You may be one if the best trainers ever, just remember to be flexible with different dogs. Happy hunting. Dave

Old Post 10-02-2018 10:26 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Great job. You put in the time and did the work and got results. You can be proud of yourself.

Old Post 10-02-2018 11:35 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

You are not going to make her tree until and if she is ready , my advice and I have seen multiple that as soon as they went thru there first heat cycle they went to treeing like they been doing it all there life's I have one in heat rite now , Imo you can try all this and that but she isn't going to tree until she is ready and you know when she does it on her own she will stick

Old Post 10-03-2018 01:03 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I don't think I could ever trust a dog that had been trained to tree, at least not enough to put money up for entry fees. Pleasure hunting only, maybe. It's no money out of my pocket if they walk off a tree while pleasure hunting.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-03-2018 02:11 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by POTOMAC
You are not going to make her tree until and if she is ready , my advice and I have seen multiple that as soon as they went thru there first heat cycle they went to treeing like they been doing it all there life's I have one in heat rite now , Imo you can try all this and that but she isn't going to tree until she is ready and you know when she does it on her own she will stick

And then some just never do.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-03-2018 02:13 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Thats patience and persistance to work that hard to teach a dog something that should come natural. Regardless of the type hound she makes you should get her spayed asap..

Old Post 10-03-2018 02:12 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

Re: Update

quote:
Originally posted by bphart8530
Dog located, treed, and stayed for the first time last night. Almost 13 months old. I would like to tell you guys everything I did to “train her.”

You did exactly what most can't and won't...which is think like a dog and have plenty of patience...and ignore 80% of the "advice" on this forum. And from here on out, I'll wager to say you'll see nearly every single coon she trees whereas these puffed up 140bpm tree dogs will provide the opposite.

Old Post 10-03-2018 02:34 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Update

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Wingler
You did exactly what most can't and won't...which is think like a dog and have plenty of patience...and ignore 80% of the "advice" on this forum. And from here on out, I'll wager to say you'll see nearly every single coon she trees whereas these puffed up 140bpm tree dogs will provide the opposite.
Ditto

Old Post 10-03-2018 03:19 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
And then some just never do.
exactly no guarantees I had a bitch off cyclone that up until 10 month old I knew she was special that forst fall she got to where she liked catching them and made very few trees after , shame to but if they do on there own you have something if not like you said you are always wondering

Old Post 10-03-2018 05:55 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I had one like this at about the same age. Ran track like a banshee, wide open, barked non stop. He nose was a little ahead of her brain and I was getting frustrated.

I took a coon in a cage and cut it out about 20 yards in front of her in a field, when it was about 10 yards from the woodline I cut her and it climbed up about 2 inches in front of her nose. She treed like she had done it her whole life, I shot it, and that dog is still tied up in my yard at over 10 years old. It treed coons forever.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 10-04-2018 01:57 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
Thats patience and persistance to work that hard to teach a dog something that should come natural. Regardless of the type hound she makes you should get her spayed asap..
ability has nothing to do with a dog in what kind of offspring it produces . i have saw the most outstanding hound in a litter produce nothing but culls while its litter mate not worth killing threw outstanding offspring . lol .

Old Post 10-05-2018 09:56 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

You're welcome to hunt pups out of all the dogs not worth killing you want, as for myself & everyone I've ever known we'll probably just keep buying pups and breeding for desirable traits. It dont always work, but I believe the odds are a lil better lol..

Old Post 10-05-2018 12:51 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Congratulations on training your pup. Regardless if your pup is a world beater or just an average dog. You sir did a fine job of training your pup. It is nice to see you update this thread and let others know how things turned out.

Old Post 10-05-2018 01:42 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote