UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Here is one I need Your Opinion on!!
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

You boys go get a dog. Win 20k with it and come back and tell us how much you won without treeing coons. You might have better luck than we did. We won some pocket change without treeing coons.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2018 11:21 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
You boys go get a dog. Win 20k with it and come back and tell us how much you won without treeing coons. You might have better luck than we did. We won some pocket change without treeing coons.

Counting (all ) expenses how much did you spend to win that $20,000 ? I know over the years I spent with $$$ way more than that paying super stakes fees , gas ,entry's , motels and food I had a good time but I am way in the hole and ain't going no further except for $$$$' and that's because it's close to home once in a while I get in but I am going to have to get more dog power than I got right now lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2018 11:35 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ralph Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Counting (all ) expenses how much did you spend to win that $20,000 ? I know over the years I spent with $$$ way more than that paying super stakes fees , gas ,entry's , motels and food I had a good time but I am way in the hole and ain't going no further except for $$$$' and that's because it's close to home once in a while I get in but I am going to have to get more dog power than I got right now lol.

Tar

True and with -KC you can pay the performance and all that other and come home with a shiny trophy instead lol

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:08 AM
Ralph Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ralph Williams Click here to Send Ralph Williams a Private Message Click Here to Email Ralph Williams Find more posts by Ralph Williams Add Ralph Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Williams
True and with -KC you can pay the performance and all that other and come home with a shiny trophy instead lol

I know but $60 ukc entry vs $250 or $300 $$$ hunt I don't feel as violated after a ukc hunt lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:22 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Williams

If you pay the performance and bring home a trophy, You gonna get a check.

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:22 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Most serious ukc hunters don't have to take minus because they train their dogs to tree coons because they know there is no plan b like in the $$$ hunts where you got have a winner even if it's like I saw one time with 900 minus bad thing about it the dogs he beat had more minus than that and he is a stud dog now lmbo !!

Tar

Most serious ukc hunters wont take minus because they find ways to weasel out of it! Thank goodness for dna because i can remember back in the day a few of those big name guys always kept a spare set of papers around so when they found a winner they would make sure it was out of old so and so. What about the ones that used the same dog to finish 3 or 4 dogs to grand! Yep they had a plan b and a plan c!

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:25 AM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The wheather must be bad everywhere lol. I drew some dogs at the super stakes that durn sure we're way past the puppy stage like they were two years old and treeing coons when they were born lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:31 AM
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yes sir great post. all these ukc plus em up hounds sure should be bringing the ole handler $$$$ in the major league for sure. Very few hunt both. Take them plus point no minus hound to a pro hunt and compete against 15 other hounds and you should be cleaning house over there. Funny thing is you drop 300 on entry fee with a dog that don’t tree coons ? I don’t think so

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:13 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Cry Tough Blues
Yes sir great post. all these ukc plus em up hounds sure should be bringing the ole handler $$$$ in the major league for sure. Very few hunt both. Take them plus point no minus hound to a pro hunt and compete against 15 other hounds and you should be cleaning house over there. Funny thing is you drop 300 on entry fee with a dog that don’t tree coons ? I don’t think so

How much have you won vs spent in the $$$ hunts. Evidently there are a bunch that don't tree a coon at those $300 entry hunts I think that's what a score of 0 means where I went to school.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:50 AM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

I didn't keep up with every penny. But I would say she broke even. We very rarly went to hunt and didn't make it deep to get our picture taken.

Old Post 01-16-2018 03:03 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stonewall24
UKC Forum Member

I would say

At least 50 percent of PKC hunters big time Money hunters has been barred or been put on probation from Ukc. Most of them have been put on probation in Pkc if not barred for a period of time. Chkc the same way.

Old Post 01-16-2018 05:59 AM
Stonewall24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stonewall24 Click here to Send Stonewall24 a Private Message Find more posts by Stonewall24 Add Stonewall24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I didn't keep up with every penny. But I would say she broke even. We very rarly went to hunt and didn't make it deep to get our picture taken.

I appreciate your honesty and you have a right to be proud of your dog most of the successfull $$$ either have $$$ or have a $$$ person behind them a big loss is a tax write off simple as that they pay their handlers and need expenses to offset the profits they make its a buissness we little guys use our vacations our savings and time away from home and most times we go home with way less than what we left home with. It's ok to dream that's what keeps us going but there are different affordable dreams for everybody right now my dreams are close to the house if I can train up somthing stout I got my boy as a handler as far as the $$$. Hunts the one down here I like the rules the best of any and its in my back door and yes I will probly spend more than I make lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2018 11:53 AM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

JUST REMEMBER

The truth will set you free. Just how in the world can someone brag on having a coon dog and winning $$$$$ without EVER seeing a coon. CIRCLE POINTS huh..... JUST ASKING

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:05 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

H L I been watching all kc's for a while now the style of dogs they are hunting there are no big scores in any big kc hunts anymore you cut them loose they go 4 different directions time you get them gathered the hunts over there are a lot of dead cast in ukc too you don't get nothing for it so you don't hear about it.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:15 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I agree nothing + nothing = nothing BUT some time nothing + nothing means moving on up. TRUTH while the same thing in other #kc = go home TRUTH.How is the weather over there supost to get some from yawl this evening

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:24 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Oklahoma is windy and cold down in the teens I got to go get my pickup worked on I don't even want to go lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:31 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I was talking to a young guy yesterday trying to defend UKC hunts. They don't excite him one bit. I tried to explain what the titles meant in the breeding pen. Didn't excite him one bit. Guys, times are changing and a lot of young guys do not see the value in a Grand Nite title like they use to. They see value in $$.

Here is the issue in my opinion. I don't care what the rules are for a hunt. I don't care what program is put in place to enter. Men will figure out the easiest path to success.
Old age and watching all these programs for 50 years has made me scratch my head more than once.

This is not any one KC but all of them. The KC's need to get smarter and that is where I think UKC could improve.
Anytime someone enters a big hunt, cuts the corner on any program in place or just doesn't do what is right. The KC gets a black eye. I have preached on here for years that if I owned UKC teaching people the rules would be the first thing I did. It might move to second place not. The first thing I would do is hire a group of men that have experience in all KC's and ask them to evaluate every UKC Hunt and Program and close the loop holes. Problem with UKC is the way the rules are changed. They are NOT! So I guess I could say even if such acommittee pointed out the top 5 issues and it involved nite hunt rules. Nothing would change as far as rules go.

I have seen people do things not right to get their female into the top producers list. I have seen people do things that are not right to get dogs into the SS program. I have seen UKC go full circle from Grade cast to NO Grade Cast back to Crossbred.
If you hunt in a registery that minus cannot win--then the minus points are more likely to end up circle.
If you hunt in a KC that high scores are needed--then you will be on buckets and moving all night. Just like the rule on Guides from out of town. In the old days I could not go to AO 16 hours from my house and have my own Guide that I paid to guide me. There are hunters today that have made friends all over the country and they have more good hunting spots in several different states than you have at home. Nothing bad being said about that other than a guy that goes to the same hunt from another state and draws the guide that is only there for a few dollars guide money. Isn't going to be in the same amount of coon. When you need points to win. That is important. When you only have to beat the other 3 dogs it is less important.

Lot of good trying to be done by the KC's for the future of hunters. Lot of Hunters finding the loopholes and making things difficult for them.

Old Post 01-16-2018 12:44 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce I said this once and Allen kinda shot me in the foot for saying it lol. Back when we had non hunting judges on all champion cast and when people came to your club you made sure you had judges before anybody got to hunt. What better way to teach a young person to learn the rules and it ain't like the rules are going to change any time soon been the same for at least 30 yrs. no need for us to spread gloom and doom ukc ain't going nowhere they are formost a registery with a hunting program one is just to promote the other now that being said they do need to modernize the rules some because the dogs are not the same as they were 30 yrs ago ( loopholes ) I don't like a babbling dog so I am at a disadvantage right out the gate , I don't like to be stuck on the leash, I like a tree countdown I don't like a dog to cover at 4min59 sec and get second tree that's three loopholes that dogs in all kcs capitalize on ukc is near and dear to my heart because I remember when we had nothing else they know they need a change its just a matter if they want to or not but for me the changes will probly come to late my hay has been in the barn a long time ago.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2018 01:10 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Y'all hunted under those rules all of those years and did fine so why do you think they should change now? Is the problem the rules or obeying the rules? And do we really want to change to attract those young guys? Maybe those young guys need to look at their values. Do we really want a bunch of handlers that are just in it for the money? It used to be all about the love of the sport and the hounds. Now according to some it is just about the money. And is the problem the rules or people not obeying the rules? Do we really need to "teach" them the rules or do they need to "learn" the rules? This younger generation is so used to having everything handed to them. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Whatever happened to "the love of the sport"? Do these younger guys even care about their hounds or just about winning money?

Old Post 01-16-2018 01:52 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Y'all hunted under those rules all of those years and did fine so why do you think they should change now? Is the problem the rules or obeying the rules? And do we really want to change to attract those young guys? Maybe those young guys need to look at their values. Do we really want a bunch of handlers that are just in it for the money? It used to be all about the love of the sport and the hounds. Now according to some it is just about the money. And is the problem the rules or people not obeying the rules? Do we really need to "teach" them the rules or do they need to "learn" the rules? This younger generation is so used to having everything handed to them. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Whatever happened to "the love of the sport"? Do these younger guys even care about their hounds or just about winning money?

This is super accurate. Being a young guy myself, I get on my facebook groups I'm in and I see alot of guys my age saying "I don't care what it is as long as I'm getting paid to hunt it" Or "I don't care what the dog does as long as it wins" This drives me crazy. I like to win as much as the next guy but I still like to go tree coons during the week with a dog I've trained from a puppy because I like to see them progress and enjoy training one to be a winner. I like to pleasure hunt just as much as I like to competition hunt. I don't know how fun I would think coon hunting was if I made it into my day job.

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:13 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have done it both ways. Turning it into a job takes all of the fun out of it. When you are being paid to go to a hunt there is a lot of pressure to win. You start feeling like you "have" to win. And if you don't then you get fired.

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:20 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I was talking to a young guy yesterday trying to defend UKC hunts. They don't excite him one bit. I tried to explain what the titles meant in the breeding pen. Didn't excite him one bit. Guys, times are changing and a lot of young guys do not see the value in a Grand Nite title like they use to. They see value in $$..

Do we really want this type of person hunting in UKC? Are UKC hunts for the money hungry, win at all costs kind of hunter? And if they can't make money at it, they quit.

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:29 PM
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
The wheather must be bad everywhere lol. I drew some dogs at the super stakes that durn sure we're way past the puppy stage like they were two years old and treeing coons when they were born lol.

Tar

It is disheartening when you draw out with the gray faced pup, thats cocking his leg to pee!

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:29 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It is even more disheartening when you draw out with a little puppy that trees coons all over the woods while yours is cocking his leg to pee.

Old Post 01-16-2018 02:55 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Well said Bruce. But I'm not a real young guy but not a old guy either. Here's how a bunch of guys I hunt pretty regular with look at it. In UKC it can take as little as 8 hunt hunts to be a grnitech right? Well in 8 local hunts in PKC if you win most hunts your dog won't be but a champion. And it sure ain't going to be a platinum CH. Now I'm not saying having a grnitech it makes less of the dog. I just don't hold a lot of value in a UKC title. Its very easy to earn the titles in comparison.

And if anyone thinks that they can just show up and get paid at a PKC hunt there's an upcoming major event hunt coming up in Unadilla NY Feb 16-17. Come take the easy $$$.

Old Post 01-16-2018 03:14 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote