UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Need help
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dlmckean
New UKC Forum Member

Need help

Need some help here, got nice pleasure hound that will go all night if I let him. The problem is it’s pretty much my 12 year old daughters buddy that she’s had since he was a puppy. That being said she’s takin a interest in hunting with old dad and always wants to take him, but he will not leave her out of his site in the woods. We tried sitting on the tailgate, he’ll go out for about 5 min but come straight back to check on her. Totally opposite if it’s just me, drop the tailgate he’s gone. He does tree and had coon shot out for him. Let me add that there’s no problems here in her eyes so taking a switch to him is not a option, but it has crossed my mind.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-28-2017 03:20 AM
dlmckean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dlmckean Click here to Send dlmckean a Private Message Click Here to Email dlmckean Find more posts by dlmckean Add dlmckean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kimber2378
UKC Forum Member

Don't know if you have tried it or not but you could try walk hunting when you have your daughter along with you and follow the general way he is going on the GPS or trailing if he is on a track. He may then realize that she is going to be going where he goes and he doesn't have to worry as much about what she is doing and will hopefully get back to acting like he normally does after a few times of doing that. I'm no expert but it's just a thought and one of the things I did to get my dog to start ranging out further and further when he was younger. Best of luck.

Dave

Old Post 12-28-2017 04:11 AM
Kimber2378 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kimber2378 Click here to Send Kimber2378 a Private Message Find more posts by Kimber2378 Add Kimber2378 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Here is my thoughts

I have an 8 month old hound that can and will tree a Coon, been doing it since 5 months old. But when my 10 year old comes with me he will do the same thing your saying. What I do is sit back watch my son pet and play with that hound, why because I will never get that moment back again. Sit back relax enjoy your time with your daughter. That hound will eventually go.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Last edited by MIKE CARDER on 12-29-2017 at 02:37 AM

Old Post 12-28-2017 05:20 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mike Carder

Wise man! A picture is worth a thousand words.Memories are forever. Dave

Old Post 12-28-2017 05:43 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Here is my thoughts

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
I have an 8 month old hound that can and will tree a Coon, been doing it since 5 months old. But when my 10 year old comes with me he will do the same thing your saying. What I do is sit back watch my son pet and play with that hound, why because I will never get that moment back again. Sit back relax enjoy your time with your daughter. That hound will eventually go.

You got that exactly right

Old Post 12-28-2017 10:55 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daryl wyland
UKC Forum Member

try letting your daughter stay in the the truck until you cut the hound loose
if he don't go load him back up drive to the next spot and retry

Old Post 12-28-2017 02:23 PM
daryl wyland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daryl wyland Click here to Send daryl wyland a Private Message Click Here to Email daryl wyland Find more posts by daryl wyland Add daryl wyland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote