UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who has the best coon hunting coats?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
John Book
UKC Forum Member

Who has the best coon hunting coats?

In need of a new coon hunting coat, what is available and who has the best now that Wick isn't available anymore.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2020 12:03 AM
John Book is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Book Click here to Send John Book a Private Message Find more posts by John Book Add John Book to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

Good ol Carhart is hard to beat..

Old Post 02-22-2020 12:15 AM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlottDawg
UKC Forum Member

The 1 Mark Zepp makes looks pretty nice

Old Post 02-22-2020 12:36 AM
PlottDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PlottDawg Click here to Send PlottDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email PlottDawg Find more posts by PlottDawg Add PlottDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Stone Creek makes a good tough coat. I love mine.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:06 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Davidestep9024
UKC Forum Member

I really like the dans jacket I ordered from Conkeys

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:58 AM
Davidestep9024 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Davidestep9024 Click here to Send Davidestep9024 a Private Message Click Here to Email Davidestep9024 Find more posts by Davidestep9024 Add Davidestep9024 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonhunter00
UKC Forum Member

I bought a Valley Creek coat a couple years back. The first “coonhunting coat” I ever bought. Absolutely love it.

Old Post 02-22-2020 10:00 AM
coonhunter00 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter00 Click here to Send coonhunter00 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter00 Find more posts by coonhunter00 Add coonhunter00 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

I was a wick man and Still have my old Wick Jacket but it’s pretty worn. I bought a Zepp Jacket last weekend at the Winter Classic and really like it. I looked at all the jackets that all the Vendors had and Zepps Jacket reminded me of the Wick Jacket so that’s what i bought. Even has the ole corduroy collar and corduroy lining inside the pockets like the old Wicks. Anyway I’ve worn it all week and have no doubt I picked the best Jacket I could of. Really like it

Old Post 02-22-2020 12:08 PM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Nothing I've tried is as waterproof as the Wick stuff from 25 years ago. Not even close. Two different brand of bibs both leak like a screen door.

Old Post 02-22-2020 04:11 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

I agree about Stone Creek. Jacket works great and keeps me dry.

Old Post 02-22-2020 05:20 PM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Clothing

I was told by a clothes manufacturer that the pre treatment of the wick material was different it caused the weave in the nylon to expand creating a tighter weave and making it more briar and water resistant the nylon used today is basically the same but it's not treated as heavy

Old Post 02-22-2020 06:35 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Clothing

I was told by a clothes manufacturer that the pre treatment of the wick material was different it caused the weave in the nylon to expand creating a tighter weave and making it more briar and water resistant the nylon used today is basically the same but it's not treated as heavy

Old Post 02-22-2020 06:35 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coats

I have tried just about every coat made over the years and no nylon coat will ever be waterproof in heavy rain. I have had the best luck with goretex coats for being totally waterproof. Coon hunting and any type if hunting that requires a lot of movement or walking makes any coat cause you to sweat and get wet from the inside of the coat, even goretex that breathes can not wick the sweat fast enough during heavy exercise or walking. Stand hunting all goretex coats will keep you dry. I have found that using high wicking undershirts that wick the sweat from you to the outer layers are the best solution to keeping dry. I like the L L Bean Game Warden Parka for my coon hunting in cold weather, you can get them with down or synthetic insulation goretex waterproof and they are thick enough to turn brairs etc. Hope this helps. Dave

Old Post 02-22-2020 07:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Dave I agree the nylon willll never be waterproof but the old wick material was very water resistant and was advertised as such. Anything I've tried since absorbes water nothing beads off of it and will soak thru in no time. When those old wick bibs were soaked thru to the inside you knew it was raining. Last pair bibs and coat I bought took two cans of sealant to get water to bead off the material and two weeks later it's like it was never done. Anything marketed as "high n dry" shouldn't absorb water like a sponge

Old Post 02-22-2020 08:17 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I have a pair of the last zippered chaps that WOW made just before Linda and Monica Wick hung up the business that I use most days. If it's a really drizzly day I wear an old pair of Briar Proof chaps that I bought from WOW back in 1989 or 1990. They have that basically indestructible layer on the outside and then a 2nd layer made out of the regular chap material on the inside. Never have had those soak through enough to the point that my pants actually got wet. The briars and blackberry bushes won't penetrate them either. This pair is to hot for warm weather running though.

Guess this was a little off topic as it was not about coats. I have an Australian Outback oilskin coat that does do a really good job of shedding water. You do have to wax them up once in awhile though and they are hot in warm weather.
Work great in cooler weather.

Last edited by DL NH on 02-23-2020 at 03:06 AM

Old Post 02-23-2020 02:53 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mark Zepp has a pretty nice one out. Mark use to wear and model the Wick Coats in John's magazines. So I feel he would know what a good coat is.

Old Post 02-23-2020 01:26 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Seen alot of copy cats. Never seen one the same as wick

Old Post 02-23-2020 03:53 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

Stone Creek

Old Post 02-24-2020 12:10 AM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I don't need a rain coat. I have the Weather Channel App on my phone.

Old Post 02-24-2020 01:55 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Everyone around here buys the Dan's stuff. I like everything I got from ole Dan.

Old Post 02-24-2020 01:59 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

For those that haven't hands your hands on a stone Creek jacket, you can tell a big difference in theirs and others. I'm sure Zepps makes a nice one too, I've not seen his in person.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 02-24-2020 02:21 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Southside Sewing is claimed to be the old Wick stuff. Ive got a coat and bibs and no complaints. Dans stuff is briarproof but in my experiences not waterproof.

Old Post 02-24-2020 04:24 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

My coat is from Southside. Nice coat... unless it's raining. Just like a sponge

Dans bibs...same deal.

Haven't tried Stone Creek or Zepps but probably will.

Old Post 02-24-2020 04:56 AM
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

I have a mule brand hunting coat. Sold/made by okie dog supply. Best thing I’ve found.

Old Post 02-24-2020 12:44 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I'm with you Sam. Just wish I could still get it in the old heavy green. Most indestructable fabric I've ever seen.

Old Post 02-24-2020 02:13 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

I'm not a fan of the briarproof stuff other than chaps for waders. I bought a coat from Duluth trading company last year, it's made out of what they call Firehose canvas material. It's similar to carhartt but I think lighter and tougher. I wear it hunting and on the farm about everyday. It's made to be flexible and no ride up. I love it, that is all I will buy from now on.

If you don't like the briarproof material Duluth is hard to beat.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-...irts-shirt-jacs

Last edited by Mike Reynolds on 02-24-2020 at 03:28 PM

Old Post 02-24-2020 03:24 PM
Mike Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Reynolds Click here to Send Mike Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Reynolds Find more posts by Mike Reynolds Add Mike Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote