UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > tics
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
prowler47
UKC Forum Member

tics

went huntin last night, came home and started getting tics off me some bit in. i just can,t believe in the middle of winter these things are this bad. years ago just a dog tick every now and then, now we have all different kinds, little ones big ones all kinds. i think these deer brought them in. my wife does taxidermy some of those deer people bring in have thousands on them. even after being froze for months they come back to life after thawing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2017 03:35 PM
prowler47 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prowler47 Click here to Send prowler47 a Private Message Click Here to Email prowler47 Find more posts by prowler47 Add prowler47 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Deer ticks mostly come from the deer mouse. We never had much trouble with deer ticks until we got a influx of wild turkeys. We now have deer ticks everywhere. I think the wild turkeys are the biggest carriers of deer ticks, but I can't prove it. Wild turkeys fluff themselves and pick ur the ticks with the dirt. We also now have wild turkeys everywhere.

Deer mice are involved in two diseases that affect humans: Lyme disease and hantavirus. Lyme disease is caused by a spirochete bacterium that is transferred between mammalian hosts (including deer mice, rabbits, white-tailed deer, and humans) by the very small deer tick, Ixodes dammini

You can't fix STUPID!

Last edited by Bob Hennessey on 02-22-2017 at 05:37 PM

Old Post 02-22-2017 05:32 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

Friday night I found one on my hound when we made the last tree of the night. It was still crawling on her chest. I almost never see a tick around here until May. But then again, it's 70 degrees today. Usually it's 20 degrees or colder

Old Post 02-22-2017 06:53 PM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We have friends, family and their pets that have lyme disease. We get our dogs vaccinated for it. I'm doctoring my horse for lymes now.

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:32 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prowler47
UKC Forum Member

tics

can i buy lyme vaccine for my dogs.

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:42 PM
prowler47 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prowler47 Click here to Send prowler47 a Private Message Click Here to Email prowler47 Find more posts by prowler47 Add prowler47 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: tics

quote:
Originally posted by prowler47
can i buy lyme vaccine for my dogs.

Not sure, because I hate giving shots. I have the vet give them when he comes to do Coggins test on my horse. I think u should be able to...check Jeffers Pet.

Old Post 02-22-2017 10:01 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote