UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Blueticks > poll: winning traits we should breed for
are these traits what we need to breed for to win
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
yes 39 70.91%
no 16 29.09%
Total: 55 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
everett
UKC Forum Member

collar

yep, you can train one to that and much more, Hell, you can put a shock collar on one and if you know what you are doing with it you an have one serving tea at dinner time for ya, oh ya.....Gerald

Blueticks of the Southern States

TEAM MAD DOG "Hunt Hard Hunt Offten"
IN REMEMBRANCE OF MAD DOG TIM VAUGHN

GRNITECH pr' MAD DOG ANTi UP JOKER co winner of the all blue world championship, Sire of 2014 UKC world hunt high scoring Bluetick male(Grnitech pr' Walz Coontree Joker)

GRNITECH pr' Mad Dog coon Poppin
Wacko (Shellly) 2014 BBOA Arkansas State Hunt Queen of Hunt High scoring Grntch.
2015 zone 7 championship Queen of hunt

Grnitech Grch pr' Mad Dog Hey Jude 2008 National Bluetick Days Queen of hunt, 2013 ACHA Little world hunt 5th place overall.

pr' Mad Dog Two Gun Rhino (Astro x Jude)

Pr' Mad Dog Two Gun Doll Baby ( Astro x Shelly)
Critter Light co. Owner/Dealer

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-04-2013 09:01 PM
everett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for everett Click here to Send everett a Private Message Click Here to Email everett Find more posts by everett Add everett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: is it possible

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Jones
anybody know for sure? I dont think you can train one to do this AND be confident in it

this is why you have some that are CONTINUALLY working on their dogs about backing.....they were man made

I wouldn't be too confident that the training wheels might fall off and leave me hanging when I really needed them

Old Post 04-04-2013 09:13 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: is it possible

quote:
Originally posted by hat creek mac
this is why you have some that are CONTINUALLY working on their dogs about backing.....they were man made

I wouldn't be too confident that the training wheels might fall off and leave me hanging when I really needed them

that is what I KNOW lol. bout like trying to shock one into staying treed that wont hold pressure NATRAULLY

Old Post 04-04-2013 09:36 PM
Tom Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom Jones Click here to Send Tom Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Tom Jones Find more posts by Tom Jones Add Tom Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

Lightbulb

I am all for positive encouragement to get the best out of a hound (DOG/ANIMAL) but if its not there natrually, why bother? like hat creek put it (in different words), it'll bite ya in the butt

Old Post 04-04-2013 09:38 PM
Tom Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom Jones Click here to Send Tom Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Tom Jones Find more posts by Tom Jones Add Tom Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everett
UKC Forum Member

yep

you guy,s are right there, That,s one of the reason,s I hunt what I hunt, All natural instincs bred into them....Gerald

GRNITECH pr' MAD DOG ANTi UP JOKER co winner of the all blue world championship, Sire of 2014 UKC world hunt high scoring Bluetick male(Grnitech pr' Walz Coontree Joker)

Wacko (Shellly) 2014 BBOA Arkansas State Hunt Queen of Hunt High scoring Grntch.

Grnitech Grch pr' Mad Dog Hey Jude 2008 National Bluetick Days Queen of hunt, 2013 ACHA Little world hunt 5th place overall.

Old Post 04-04-2013 10:37 PM
everett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for everett Click here to Send everett a Private Message Click Here to Email everett Find more posts by everett Add everett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

i dont care if they are independant or not as long as they are first 80 plus percent of the time.... i dont teach independance but sometimes a few of my dogs to me are to independant... got a couple out one litter that will tree coon all night by themselves but will quit a tree or track if something else gets with them... it wasnt taught and i despise it.... if i still owned them i would bury them.... the ones i win with and hunt are plenty independant enough for me with or without a declineing tree

Old Post 04-04-2013 11:08 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIG$BLUES
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: is it possible

quote:
anybody know for sure? I dont think you can train one to do this AND be confident in it
Yea I have seen it and when they got treed they was hooked didn't matter if 5min or 5hrs

NTCH DUVALL'S BIG MONEY SLIDDER

Home of those with drive!
Speak the truth it will set you free.

Old Post 04-04-2013 11:53 PM
BIG$BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIG$BLUES Click here to Send BIG$BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email BIG$BLUES Find more posts by BIG$BLUES Add BIG$BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

I havent voted, and may not but....

I want an absolute coon treer, that likes/wants to be alone.

Hunts hard, but dont have to be a mile on every drop.

Just jams coons up and will be alone alot.

Owned one that had a knack of putting them in small trees, easy to see. Seen her tree 3is in 5a acres and go over a mile the next drop. She usually had one looking down. She'd bump around on a bad track then shut up, next back you treed her. Miss that stupid hussy. Sorry she was a crossbred.

I want another like that.

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 04-05-2013 12:02 AM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIG$BLUES
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blacklabel
I havent voted, and may not but....

I want an absolute coon treer, that likes/wants to be alone.

Hunts hard, but dont have to be a mile on every drop.

Just jams coons up and will be alone alot.

Owned one that had a knack of putting them in small trees, easy to see. Seen her tree 3is in 5a acres and go over a mile the next drop. She usually had one looking down. She'd bump around on a bad track then shut up, next back you treed her. Miss that stupid hussy. Sorry she was a crossbred.

I want another like that.

That sounds familiar except for the cross bred and female part

NTCH DUVALL'S BIG MONEY SLIDDER

Home of those with drive!
Speak the truth it will set you free.

Old Post 04-05-2013 12:36 AM
BIG$BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIG$BLUES Click here to Send BIG$BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email BIG$BLUES Find more posts by BIG$BLUES Add BIG$BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

Anyone ever owns one like that its all they will want. I tried her 5to nights in early february and she passed slicks and had a coon @a 15 months, biggest thing i could faullt her on was her mouth. But 2500to later she went with me. Best money spent on a dog.

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 04-05-2013 12:54 AM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: is it possible

quote:
Originally posted by BIG$BLUES
Yea I have seen it and when they got treed they was hooked didn't matter if 5min or 5hrs
wow! Personally wldnt waste my time. I believe the dog u seen must have jus needed a lil work to stay not one that would leave the minute he heard another hound open, anyhow i hope it wasnt bred to and if so i hope theyre not in oklahoma.

Old Post 04-05-2013 04:28 AM
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: is it possible

quote:
wow! Personally wldnt waste my time. I believe the dog u seen must have jus needed a lil work to stay not one that would leave the minute he heard another hound open, anyhow i hope it wasnt bred to and if so i hope theyre not in oklahoma.

Bet it was ECHO Bred.

Old Post 04-05-2013 05:24 AM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

independance

if you will hunt one ALONE,it will bring some independance and confidence in what your dog can accomplish. I cant speak for other areas but around me nobody hunts their dogs alone. I have a gyp that i have hunted 4nights a week ALONE for the past two months. Her confidence level is out the roof. She does her thing and if something wants to come with her OK. But she aint waiting on nothing and just as soon be in there all alone. If you want to win at any level I think you have to put them in the woods ALONE on a regular basis. Just MY humble opinion!! Darren

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Old Post 04-05-2013 02:10 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: is it possible

quote:
Originally posted by Blacklabel
Bet it was ECHO Bred.
lmao Its possible but regardless it shld have never been bred. stir that pot up some more justin

Old Post 04-05-2013 02:15 PM
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

Re: independance

quote:
Originally posted by Darren Hollis
if you will hunt one ALONE,it will bring some independance and confidence in what your dog can accomplish. I cant speak for other areas but around me nobody hunts their dogs alone. I have a gyp that i have hunted 4nights a week ALONE for the past two months. Her confidence level is out the roof. She does her thing and if something wants to come with her OK. But she aint waiting on nothing and just as soon be in there all alone. If you want to win at any level I think you have to put them in the woods ALONE on a regular basis. Just MY humble opinion!! Darren
THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO TRAIN A HOUND AND HAVE A FINISHED HOUND!!

Old Post 04-05-2013 02:16 PM
everett
UKC Forum Member

Re: independance

quote:

Now here is a man that knows how to hunt a hound, I f a hound has it in him Darren will bring it out......Gerald

Old Post 04-05-2013 02:55 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

It really can be frustrating to hunt a young dog all alone. Some wont hunt very good at first and you may not tree many coons. My opinion is that one coon treed alone is worth more than 10 coons treed with another hound. You can also evaluate your breeding stock and know exactly what you have got. That includes good traits and faults. When your hound is packing , how do you know how well he can run a track? How well does he tree without another dog? Ive seen blowdown treedogs with company be sorry tree dogs alone!! Do they really leave in a dead run looking for a coon or are they racing to stay ahead of another dog you just turned loose with him? Can they locate the right tree in a timely fashion? Will those ALL-NIGHT tree dogs stay treed ALL-NIGHT ALONE? Will he go hunting with another hound whining or barking in the dog box? Lots of questions can be answered. I have bought and got rid of several dogs over the last two years trying to get the right prospect and they are hard to find for sure. If I get one with the grit, drive, heart, desire, or whatever we want to label it, put it in the woods alone and see what i got. I am lucky that I have a 15 yr old son that loves to hunt and we go just me and him for the most part. I used to just sit out there alone but this makes it better. I see that old question about when a bluetick will win the world hunt and I know that with the right breaks one should have already won it. Hunt em hard and alone and take them to town and it will happen. JMO Darren Gerald, lookin forward to a little mad-dog!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 04-05-2013 03:18 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

Re: HUNT

quote:
It really can be frustrating to hunt a young dog all alone. Some wont hunt very good at first and you may not tree many coons. My opinion is that one coon treed alone is worth more than 10 coons treed with another hound. You can also evaluate your breeding stock and know exactly what you have got. That includes good traits and faults. When your hound is packing , how do you know how well he can run a track? How well does he tree without another dog? Ive seen blowdown treedogs with company be sorry tree dogs alone!! Do they really leave in a dead run looking for a coon or are they racing to stay ahead of another dog you just turned loose with him? Can they locate the right tree in a timely fashion? Will those ALL-NIGHT tree dogs stay treed ALL-NIGHT ALONE? Will he go hunting with another hound whining or barking in the dog box? Lots of questions can be answered. I have bought and got rid of several dogs over the last two years trying to get the right prospect and they are hard to find for sure. If I get one with the grit, drive, heart, desire, or whatever we want to label it, put it in the woods alone and see what i got. I am lucky that I have a 15 yr old son that loves to hunt and we go just me and him for the most part. I used to just sit out there alone but this makes it better. I see that old question about when a bluetick will win the world hunt and I know that with the right breaks one should have already won it. Hunt em hard and alone and take them to town and it will happen. JMO Darren Gerald, lookin forward to a little mad-dog!!

Great post Mr. Hollis, once one has this type and can answer yes to all the above he will learn more from that hound then any many could teach him. I might add that a hound like this once they have a lil age on them, you can still go hunt with your buddies. Send their hounds down the creek one direction and after theyre struck and runnin send the COONDAWG the other way. Pretty fun espially when the coondawg goes and gets treed and has him then you send him into tree the other hounds coon for em lol

Old Post 04-05-2013 05:49 PM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Mr Jones

Thanks mr jones. It is fun when u got one that has a mind of his own and can get it done solo!!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 04-05-2013 06:15 PM
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

most all dogs need hunted alone some to know what you have... i done it 30 years ago when for the most part it was unheard of but i do think we have some dogs today that can be hunted alone to much.... i have a young female now that before she was ever hunted alone would tree with anything would split would keep going if another pulled up short.... acted like an old dog at 8 months old.... long story short i peeled her out and hunted her 30 days by herself and dang near ruined her in my eyes.... she got so independant she would quit a track with another dog leave a tree she treed if another dog come to her and all kinds of crap... took 2 weeks hunting her with other dogs every turnout to finally get her out of this.... i still hunt her alone some but mix it up as much as possible.... she is a very quick strike dog with honest company and super quick and accurate on the tree but i still see some things in her now i dont like that wasnt there before i hunted her by herself... sometimes i think she gets jealous if a dog beats her on a tree and most of the time she will be treed somewhere else if she can find a track shes 13 months old now and probably had as much hunting and as many coon knocked out to her as most old dogs and if she dont tick me off between now and then i will hunt her at the reunion.... this one of the few dogs i have hunted by themselves that was affected this away but if the independance is bred into them it does not take hunting alone for it to come out

Old Post 04-05-2013 10:22 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

That being jealous is hard to live with. And i never seen anyone fiix it.

Old Post 04-05-2013 11:11 PM
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

Thumbs down

A dog always deep and alone will almost always be jealous ir scared to tree with something else. Dont kno w how the thumbs down got there andcant get it off lol

Last edited by patches9452 on 04-05-2013 at 11:23 PM

Old Post 04-05-2013 11:20 PM
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

I meant the ones that run a track with other dogs get beat to tree so grab a blank 10 ft away. Ive seen a couplr born that way and some that were tryiing to teach to be alone and failed.

I want a coon treer thats get alone alot. Thats not jealous, thats all business coondawg

Old Post 04-05-2013 11:52 PM
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

She doesn't slick tree will just tree the next coon up to keep by herself if there is two coon

Old Post 04-06-2013 12:00 AM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Jealous

Patches if she makes you too mad , send that jealous hussy my way. I love it!!!

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 04-06-2013 12:01 AM