UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > •••••accuracy •••••
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I’ve seen some accurate ones but 90% isn’t happening, unless the dog is just getting hunted a few times a year. If you make 10 trees a week and hunt 50 weeks a year that’s 500 trees in a year. If you can’t shine 10% of the trees made do to canopy’s of other trees you’re already at 90%. I would say at least in this part of the country in the summer we lose more than 10% not being able to see the whole tree. You either see a coon or you don’t. No dens no he could be there and trees you’re not able to shine for various reason and 70% would be exceptional.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2019 05:04 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jed Finley
If you got one I will buy it! You name your price we hunt 3 nights all night long and if it isn't 90% you pay me half of what you think it is worth!! Put that money where your mouth is!!

Here’s the chance for some of you to make some $$$$$.

Old Post 06-12-2019 06:19 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Yes, they exist. Apparently, very few keep that expectation anymore though. Kept record of every tree for 18 months on the best I’ve followed and she was 92% for 18 months and hunted 5-6 nights a week. She treed coons that other dogs treed on the backtrack in dens, treed them in pouring thunderstorms, driving snow and cold that froze the collars all together in a solid block of ice on her neck. She treed 4 dens during that time and I got the coon out of all 4. Tried lots of dogs out with her and she embarrassed every dog that was cut loose with her. I didn’t own a hair on her head but she was a coon dog. Seen 2 more that were that type but I didn’t hunt with them nearly enough to keep an accurate log. All 3 were owned by different men so yes they are out there. You’re gonna have to get away from the internet to see them though. You don’t expect them to be accurate and that’s the type of dog you will have.

Old Post 06-12-2019 06:41 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I’d like to be able to hunt where some of you hunt that you can actually shine every tree made.

Old Post 06-12-2019 07:10 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Mine is 50% either the coon is there or it ain’t.

Tar

Old Post 06-12-2019 07:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh r
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
Yes, they exist. Apparently, very few keep that expectation anymore though. Kept record of every tree for 18 months on the best I’ve followed and she was 92% for 18 months and hunted 5-6 nights a week. She treed coons that other dogs treed on the backtrack in dens, treed them in pouring thunderstorms, driving snow and cold that froze the collars all together in a solid block of ice on her neck. She treed 4 dens during that time and I got the coon out of all 4. Tried lots of dogs out with her and she embarrassed every dog that was cut loose with her. I didn’t own a hair on her head but she was a coon dog. Seen 2 more that were that type but I didn’t hunt with them nearly enough to keep an accurate log. All 3 were owned by different men so yes they are out there. You’re gonna have to get away from the internet to see them though. You don’t expect them to be accurate and that’s the type of dog you will have.

Yep, they are all that accurate when they're dead

Old Post 06-12-2019 07:46 PM
josh r is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh r Click here to Send josh r a Private Message Click Here to Email josh r Visit josh r's homepage! Find more posts by josh r Add josh r to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

That peace of paper where I had all of it written down didn’t change from when she died in 2010. Of coarse we spent way more time checking trees when leaves were on because we knew the coon was there. Most boys I hunt with wont look long because they know there ain’t anything there! We don’t speculate, no such thing as maybe it’s there. It either is or isn’t. Before those dogs, I thought the same thing as many of you. Then I learned better. It’s a long way to the top of a hemlock but some of us are serious and need to know if they lie or not.

Old Post 06-12-2019 08:06 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
I’d like to be able to hunt where some of you hunt that you can actually shine every tree made.

You do, don’t sell yourself short! Spend a little more time, if the coon is there, you can find them.

Old Post 06-12-2019 08:09 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
You do, don’t sell yourself short! Spend a little more time, if the coon is there, you can find them.

You can spend all the time you want ,but around here in the summer there are a number of trees you can not shine due to tree canopy’s of other trees.

Where did Jed and joshs post go?

Old Post 06-12-2019 08:21 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You can spend all the time you want ,but around here in the summer there are a number of trees you can not shine due to tree canopy’s of other trees.

I guess western North Carolina and Tennessee are vastly different. One of the other 2 was sold for a truck and $1,500 dollars to boot. Obviously we weren’t the only ones that thought she was pretty impressive. She was just a grade dog too. I only got to hunt that one a handful of times but she treed coons in front of, behind, and all night long on some big money dogs that could only tree trees. It’s thick here to boss, but you can’t find them when they ain’t there. You can also find them when they are if you do everything you can to find them.

I didn’t say they were easy to find or everyone had them. Never gonna see 100% but I know of 3 that were 90+ so I know there are still some out there. If you believe 70-75% is good enough, that’s fine, You are the only one it has to please. Just know, if you think that’s acceptable, that’s all you’ll ever have. Why does it infuriate you to think someone has a dog 92% accurate? I don’t and didn’t own them but I dang sure tried and was envious of the ones that did. Never made me mad, just made me realize what a dog was capable of and what I would settle for from then on.

Old Post 06-12-2019 09:12 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Sometimes I put poofable stuff on here just because I know it makes them feel better on a bad day when they sock it to me lol.

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-12-2019 09:13 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

If you look at coons in 9 out of 10 trees where we hunt in south louisiana and south mississippi during this time of year you just got lucky. I made an offer on facebook a while back on a post similiar to this that i would bet big money hunting homochitto national forest that you couldn't take your dog and walk to 10 trees and find 9 coons. It's hard enough to do it in the delta in the winter time with all the den trees much less in the summer time.

Old Post 06-12-2019 09:22 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I'd like to know as well.

Old Post 06-12-2019 10:13 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Sometimes I put poofable stuff on here just because I know it makes them feel better on a bad day when they sock it to me lol.

Tarbaby

Only I didn't post anything other than my dogs accuracy. Last I knew that's what this thread was about

Old Post 06-12-2019 10:14 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

A wise man once said there are 2 types of dogs, ones that have coons when they tree and those that may have a coon.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-12-2019 10:34 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Thought about this before I decided to post: My Preacher dog started 26 tracks, made 26 trees, all with coon in them and in a row. No unfinished tracks, no blank trees and no dens. Was in December 2018. Is he 90% accurate? I don't know because at this time of the year I just can't look at the trees about half of the time. I know for a fact that he will miss but he's sure accurate enough to make me happy and that's what counts.

Old Post 06-12-2019 10:44 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Only I didn't post anything other than my dogs accuracy. Last I knew that's what this thread was about

I don’t know they get me all the time lol. I am wearing them down tho lol.

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-12-2019 10:52 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

That's pretty darn accurate Tom.
If coons were still a $1 an inch and you were 50 years younger I'm guessing you would keep Peacher and not be hesitant to pack a 22 an axe and be willing to climb any tree you couldn't shine from the ground. There are only a handful who would be in your shoes.
The better question would be how many would still be packing the same dogs?

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-12-2019 10:59 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
That's pretty darn accurate Tom.
If coons were still a $1 an inch and you were 50 years younger I'm guessing you would keep Peacher and not be hesitant to pack a 22 an axe and be willing to climb any tree you couldn't shine from the ground. There are only a handful who would be in your shoes.
The better question would be how many would still be packing the same dogs?

I would sure like to have had him 50 years ago. I know at that time I didn't have anything close to him. And yes, I thought I could climb about any tree. You know I never really was very good at skinning a coon. Had a local guy that bought them with the carcass, so I just ran them by the next morning. Most guys my age could really skin one.

Old Post 06-12-2019 11:12 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Johnny Reb, if my Boone female were still alive, I would take you up on it and she would take your money. I rarely talk about accuracy with her because people just don’t believe it. Fare enough, I don’t believe in big foot either cause I ain’t never seen him.

Old Post 06-12-2019 11:31 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have been in some hunts that fellows try to show me eyes or even coons that just ain't there. I never saw big foot either.

Old Post 06-13-2019 12:19 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy

A good chainsaw comes in handy in tennessee year around lol

Old Post 06-13-2019 12:36 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy

Accuracy can and should be determined in the winter months no leaves and no excuses. If a dog is super accurate in the winter, that should tell you all you need to know. I hunt mountains and will not keep a dog that is not real accurate in the winter months, that is my measuring stick. Dave

Old Post 06-13-2019 01:16 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy

Dave best answer yet ! I can't believe you would think that if you hunt a dog in the winter time that is 90 % accurate and the leaves come out in the spring and summer and you can't shine the trees the dog would have to be slick treeing because you know it is a lot easier to tree coons in the fall and winter then it is in the spring and summer lol. My dad always told me if your dog is smarter than you are you don't need it. I agree with you 100 % if your dog is accurate in the fall and winter he is going to be the same in the spring and summer

Old Post 06-13-2019 04:00 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Creason
Johnny Reb, if my Boone female were still alive, I would take you up on it and she would take your money. I rarely talk about accuracy with her because people just don’t believe it. Fare enough, I don’t believe in big foot either cause I ain’t never seen him. [/QUOTE

I’ve heard of 90 dogs. I could even possibly believe a few that have told me they had them. But one thing if for sure. They are always dead.

Old Post 06-13-2019 04:17 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote