UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How to score this "split tree"?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

How to score this "split tree"?

This is a hypothetical situation. I had something similar happen recently and just wondering how we would score it, had it went differently.

3 dog cast. Dogs A, B, and C are struck in that order.

Dogs B and C get treed together in that order. Dog A is off to the left.

With 30 seconds left on tree Dog A comes into the tree, but is not call treed as handler says he "doesn't sound right".

Upon arrival at tree, Dogs B and C are together and dog A is split 10 or so yards away.

Both trees are slick. Obviously Dogs B and C receive minus strike and tree points.

My question is, how is dog A scored? Deleted strike? Should he be handled at the same time as other dogs or do you back away and start the stationary time until handler declares him treed?

Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-20-2019 05:03 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

If the trees didn't touch as I'm assuming they probably didn't that dog SHOULD NOT be handled unless he is treed in. If he is declared treed then he can handle him. Otherwise it's no different than him being split 500 yards through the country and not treed. Obviously in this case the handler doesn't want to tree his dog on a slick and wont have to until the stationary rule is almost out but stationary cant be used until the tree is scored and dogs are recut (dogs should be recut right there according to the rules, "Dogs MUST be cut if loose dogs are opening) which is my biggest pet peeve with the rules.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 03-20-2019 05:08 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Start the stationary on A if you can see him while you shine B & C's tree. If his handler hasn't treed him when B & C's tree is scored you lead them off and recast them. But if I was B or C's handler I would shine my tree for 8 minutes.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 03-20-2019 at 05:16 PM

Old Post 03-20-2019 05:12 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rush Run Rebel
UKC Forum Member

explain to this dummy

explain stationary time to me in this instance, I am new to the competition world......thanks

724-415-7335

Old Post 03-20-2019 05:22 PM
Rush Run Rebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rush Run Rebel Click here to Send Rush Run Rebel a Private Message Click Here to Email Rush Run Rebel Find more posts by Rush Run Rebel Add Rush Run Rebel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

"Upon arrival at tree, B and C are together and dog A is split 10 or so yards away"

Ok, I take that to mean dog A is treed but has not been declared treed when the judge arrives. If that is the case, rule 4(j) prevails. Dog A must be handled at his tree and would be minused his strike points (100) and minused next available (125 since he is split). 250-.

Now if dog A is judged not to be treeing, then the judge has to make a decision as to whether dog A is "at the tree", in which case he must handled or is he not at the tree?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Last edited by JiM on 03-20-2019 at 05:36 PM

Old Post 03-20-2019 05:34 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Actually "stationary rule" is "obviously treed" rule in UKC. If judge thinks that a dog is "obviously treed" he can start a 5 minute countdown on him. Handler has to tree his dog before the 5 minutes runs down or he is scratched. If you are walking to another dog that has been declared treed or shining a tree and can't judge the dog with stationary applied, then you have to stop it. But if you are 10 yrds from the dog and looking at him, then you can still run the stationary.

Old Post 03-20-2019 06:02 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Actually "stationary rule" is "obviously treed" rule in UKC. If judge thinks that a dog is "obviously treed" he can start a 5 minute countdown on him. Handler has to tree his dog before the 5 minutes runs down or he is scratched. If you are walking to another dog that has been declared treed or shining a tree and can't judge the dog with stationary applied, then you have to stop it. But if you are 10 yrds from the dog and looking at him, then you can still run the stationary.

Rule 6(O). If the cast is in the process of shining a separate tree time shall be canceled and not applied to another dog.

Sorry to tell ya Richard but I wouldn't want to shine it all night if I were those guys!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 03-20-2019 06:13 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TylerOSU
Rule 6(O). If the cast is in the process of shining a separate tree time shall be canceled and not applied to another dog.

Sorry to tell ya Richard but I wouldn't want to shine it all night if I were those guys!

glad to see someone read the rule instead of applying there own rule..

Old Post 03-20-2019 07:48 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Maybe I am missing something ? Original post says dog A was never declared treed.
First thing as a judge walking into a situation that dogs are this close and BEFORE any shining begins I ask if the cast wants to score these trees as one or two depending on how close and if touching once we start to shine .
This could get complicated depending on how smart Handler of dog A is and how it all goes down from here.
In this case lets say Handler dog A says he wants a separate tree but still does not want to tree his dog and cast agrees. This would be a smart move if Dog C and B tree is slick or has a coon.
Now dog A handler either can tree his dog split or not at this point . If he trees he can go handle his dog. If no he has his dog treeing while the cast is searching C and B tree. Indeed they do not touch . Dogs B and C tree is declared slick .
Now if Handler A does not tree and his dog comes over to B and C he will get circle strike and nothing on tree be cause officially he came into the tree after the cast arrived. Coon seen minus strike nothing on tree.
Handler A waits and his dog continues split treeing. Cast backs away from dog C and B tree .
Now two things could happen.
Handler of Dog A could quickly tree his dog .
Or he says nothing stationary is began and Dog A will still get his lumps if slick but dogs B and C will have to be recast.

Call it smart or slick handling.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 03-20-2019 at 07:56 PM

Old Post 03-20-2019 07:48 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TylerOSU
Rule 6(O). If the cast is in the process of shining a separate tree time shall be canceled and not applied to another dog. !

Time is cancelled because you can't score the dog, but in this case you can because you are standing there beside him. And since this is a hypothetical situation, you can do anything you want to hypothetically.

Old Post 03-20-2019 07:56 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Time is cancelled because you can't score the dog, but in this case you can because you are standing there beside him. And since this is a hypothetical situation, you can do anything you want to hypothetically.

Does it state that in the rules? No in black and white it states that if you are scoring a tree the stationary CANNOT be applied to another dog. It doesn't say anything about 10 ft away or 10 miles away. That's why people hate hunts, black and white rules turn into grey depending on who is holding the card.