UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What makes a dog moree accurate in the Fall and Spring than now
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Blue Cheese
New UKC Forum Member

What makes a dog moree accurate in the Fall and Spring than now

I have a dog here thats not a bad dog. He was a legit 65-70% accurate coons seen in the early fall, the last few weeks he's been stuggling to get to 40% on the coons seen. What is ist about winter time that makes it so tough for some dogs to work. We werent making dens and circles in the fall and were not making dens and circles now we are just flat missing too many that we were seeing two months ago???

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-31-2010 08:38 AM
Blue Cheese is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Cheese Click here to Send Blue Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Blue Cheese Add Blue Cheese to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ransom
UKC Forum Member

Nose

West Lake Annie

West Lake Inky

GRNTCH Diamond Point Ransom (RIP)
NTCH Ransoms Diamond Point Sky (RIP)
NTCH Sackett Jrs Patches (RIP)
GRNTCH Carps Sin Cidy (RIP)

Jeff Eaken
Home 231-578-6960

Old Post 12-31-2010 08:41 AM
Ransom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ransom Click here to Send Ransom a Private Message Click Here to Email Ransom Find more posts by Ransom Add Ransom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

Huntin.lol unless the old and had pleanty of huntin sounds like they may lack some nose

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Old Post 12-31-2010 08:59 AM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Stevensni
UKC Forum Member

if you knock out to many coon to some dogs they get tree happy.

Old Post 12-31-2010 12:56 PM
David Stevensni is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Stevensni Click here to Send David Stevensni a Private Message Click Here to Email David Stevensni Find more posts by David Stevensni Add David Stevensni to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lakeland Kennel
Banned

Tracking conditions more than anything else but I would include in this order, brains, nose, and breeding. I have dogs that have the coon most of the time because they go through the woods smelling trees instead of tracking a coon. They hunt hard and I am sure they see or hear a lot of coon going up. These dogs are Mt Curs mostly and have learned this from squirrels. I have another dog (hound) that tracks but is a very sure tree dog and won't tree unless she is pretty sure the coon is there. This type of dogs is few and far between today, most folks are breeding for quick tree competition style dogs. I hunt some of my quick tree dogs with her and correct them on slick trees.

January seperates the coon dogs from the competition dogs. A good January coon dog can be hard to find.

I have Champion beagles that are having a tough time now. It is the tracking conditions.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Old Post 12-31-2010 01:14 PM
Lakeland Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lakeland Kennel Click here to Send Lakeland Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email Lakeland Kennel Find more posts by Lakeland Kennel Add Lakeland Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ESTEP
UKC Forum Member

The dumb coons are all shot off and the smart ones is all thats left. This time of year it just takes a good accurate dog that has brains.

Old Post 12-31-2010 01:29 PM
ESTEP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ESTEP Click here to Send ESTEP a Private Message Find more posts by ESTEP Add ESTEP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingpatch
UKC Forum Member

L.O.L.

MAYBE THE OWNERS EYES ARE GETTEN A LITTLE BETTER..
NO LEAVES

CROOKED RIVER DUDE... 5/14/04--2/20/12.....[ PLOTT ]

GASCONADE RIVER GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLIE [ TOAD & MOLLY ANN ] ENGLISH

HONEST OPEN MOUTH, STAY PUT TREEDOGS.. THAT CATCH GAME.....

573-765-5461

****I USE AND RECOMMEND LEMS LIGHTS***

Old Post 12-31-2010 02:16 PM
Wingpatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingpatch Click here to Send Wingpatch a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingpatch Find more posts by Wingpatch Add Wingpatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondogman
UKC Forum Member

GET A REDBONE!!!

Now is the time to competition hunt red dogs !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 12-31-2010 02:24 PM
coondogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogman Click here to Send coondogman a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogman Find more posts by coondogman Add coondogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Trone
UKC Forum Member

Re: GET A REDBONE!!!

quote:
Originally posted by coondogman
Now is the time to competition hunt red dogs !!!!!!!!!!!!

love it, most accurate comment i have heard in a while

Old Post 12-31-2010 03:04 PM
Tim Trone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Trone Click here to Send Tim Trone a Private Message Find more posts by Tim Trone Add Tim Trone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

Where can you get a good Redbone?

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Old Post 12-31-2010 03:24 PM
Richard Nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Nethery Click here to Send Richard Nethery a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Nethery Find more posts by Richard Nethery Add Richard Nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

He's cold and he wants to go home !

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 12-31-2010 03:30 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

Age and experience when it gets tuff.

Old Post 12-31-2010 05:07 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
calblu
UKC Forum Member

They are? Must depend on where you live.
Summer time was usually the killer on accuracy in California, primarily because the trees were too thick.

Don't take life too seriously -- nobody gets out alive!

Old Post 12-31-2010 07:56 PM
calblu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for calblu Click here to Send calblu a Private Message Click Here to Email calblu Visit calblu's homepage! Find more posts by calblu Add calblu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

i would thank around here july to nov. is the best time
cherries,corn,acorns they have plenty of tracks to switch
off on.

Old Post 12-31-2010 08:31 PM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cooncrazy7
UKC Forum Member

yeah where can you get a good red bone? I ain't a found a good one yet. LOL just aggrivating you guys with red dogs.

Old Post 12-31-2010 09:00 PM
cooncrazy7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cooncrazy7 Click here to Send cooncrazy7 a Private Message Click Here to Email cooncrazy7 Find more posts by cooncrazy7 Add cooncrazy7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick Mares
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Nethery
Where can you get a good Redbone?

This is the best question on the whole forum! lol Just kiddin

Old Post 12-31-2010 09:04 PM
Nick Mares is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick Mares Click here to Send Nick Mares a Private Message Click Here to Email Nick Mares Find more posts by Nick Mares Add Nick Mares to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

My guess is similar to Lakeland Kennels but here goes. Spring an Fall accuracy can usually be diagnosed by these factors (in my opinion)

#1- Tracking conditions are usually more ideal at these times of the year. (good moisture content in the ground & cool air holding the scent low)

#2- Coon are weak in the spring from a hard winter and don't have the strength or extra energy to do all that is possible to get away from the hound. they take the easy way out and simply climb a tree.

#3- Coon are over weight in the fall and too lazy to exert the extra energy needed get away so again they simply climb a tree.

After eliminating these factors breeding comes into play. These dogs are a little more wired to tree than they are to track, thus the first or second tree that has good scent on it is usually where they stay.

Winter and summer are similar is some respects. As both seasons, when sever cause the coon to not move much, (extreme heat/extreme cold)

Thus your accuracy will surely decrease when tracking is less than ideal, coon are not moving far from their dens, and they are in fighting shape, an waiting on an ole hound to challange them to a race.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 12-31-2010 10:17 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
calblu
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blueticking: it
i would thank around here july to nov. is the best time
cherries,corn,acorns they have plenty of tracks to switch
off on.

CA would run about the opposite of that -- best hunting from Nov to June or July.

Don't take life too seriously -- nobody gets out alive!

Old Post 12-31-2010 10:45 PM
calblu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for calblu Click here to Send calblu a Private Message Click Here to Email calblu Visit calblu's homepage! Find more posts by calblu Add calblu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nat Thomas
Banned

Thats simple... tracking ability

coondogs dont just tree coon in the summer. They tree coon whether its 90 degrees or 9 degrees rain snow or full moon.

Old Post 12-31-2010 11:14 PM
Nat Thomas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nat Thomas Click here to Send Nat Thomas a Private Message Click Here to Email Nat Thomas Find more posts by Nat Thomas Add Nat Thomas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingpatch
UKC Forum Member

" COONDOG"

LESS TO EAT THE MORE COON WALK AND MORE TIME LOOKEN...
IF YA GOT WHAT IT TAKES IT DONT MATTER THAT MUCH WHAT TIME OF YEAR IT IS....PERIOD

CROOKED RIVER DUDE... 5/14/04--2/20/12.....[ PLOTT ]

GASCONADE RIVER GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLIE [ TOAD & MOLLY ANN ] ENGLISH

HONEST OPEN MOUTH, STAY PUT TREEDOGS.. THAT CATCH GAME.....

573-765-5461

****I USE AND RECOMMEND LEMS LIGHTS***

Last edited by Wingpatch on 01-01-2011 at 12:19 AM

Old Post 01-01-2011 12:16 AM
Wingpatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingpatch Click here to Send Wingpatch a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingpatch Find more posts by Wingpatch Add Wingpatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

less leaves in winter, less short tracks, less coon

65% with the leaves on or off isnt all that good to begin with , is it?!?! i believe i am too lazy for that!!

Old Post 01-01-2011 01:54 AM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grant Noeske
UKC Forum Member

I'm with Ransom. Nose.

Brains can't figure out what the nose can't smell. JMO.

Old Post 01-01-2011 02:04 AM
Grant Noeske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grant Noeske Click here to Send Grant Noeske a Private Message Visit Grant Noeske's homepage! Find more posts by Grant Noeske Add Grant Noeske to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Cheese
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Englishman
Thats simple... tracking ability

coondogs dont just tree coon in the summer. They tree coon whether its 90 degrees or 9 degrees rain snow or full moon.

quote:
65% with the leaves on or off isnt all that good to begin with , is it?!?! i believe i am too lazy for that!!

I'll haul a tried and true 70% coons seen on the outside counting dens as slicks and win 80% of the cast I enter anywhere. An honest 80% or better dog is very, very rare, and every interneet coon hunter you run itno seems to have one or wouldn't tolerate less.

Old Post 01-01-2011 08:33 PM
Blue Cheese is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Cheese Click here to Send Blue Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Blue Cheese Add Blue Cheese to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Cheese
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Grant Noeske
I'm with Ransom. Nose.

Brains can't figure out what the nose can't smell. JMO.

I figure this dog just ain't got the nose for the winter. I've got another one here that I'd rather hunt this time of year cause she can dig up a track from nothing and put a coon at the end of it.

It's funny how dogs of the same blood line and breed can be so similar some times and so very different.

Old Post 01-01-2011 08:37 PM
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

accuracy

No leaves on the trees dogs get less accurate lol. Its all in thnose and knowing how to use it. Longer tracks take a real track dog to finish it. Tree happy dogs will come up short this time of year.

Old Post 01-01-2011 11:14 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote